Ellerby - 4mm/OO gauge - All photos working, hotlinked.

Jamiel

One week and I will have a new building to work on........ a shed.

That is good news as far as the layout is concerned. The possible bad news (for the layout) is that I have started an M.A. in Film Post production and Visual Effects to help with redirecting my career, and I think that will take up an awful lot of my time in the coming year.

I do hope to get the layout at least set up in the next month though, so hopefully I will get to do some modelling to relax from my studies.

Jamie

I was wrong, the shed was due next Monday, but I got a call to say they are running two weeks late, so no delivery until 10th November. Still I have lots of reading to do for my new course so maybe for the best.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel

• 1 month later...

Well after several months of inaction for Ellerby, things are stating to happen. Not on the layout, but more importantly a new home for it.

Shed1.jpg

Shed2.jpg

Shed3.jpg

Shed4.jpg

With many thanks to 92220 (Camden Power) for advice, and also for the contributions on the Big Shed for a Layout thread - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88454-big-shed-for-layout/

I hope it is OK to give details of suppliers. I bought the Shed through Elbec, although it was manufactured by Shire Garden Sheds. It is modular (pretty much big fence panels really), as where we are is rented, it will have to be moved at some point in the future. 24 x 14 foot, wood 2x3 frame. It took 4 days with help from a friend who is a builder to remove a battered lean to, level the ground (with sand and paving stones), seal/preserve the wood, and bolt it together. Electrics are roughly, but safely, connected and further sockets and lights can be added on the same circuit.

Yesterday I received two pallets of seconds insulation from http://www.seconds-shop.co.uk/ some of it still factory sealed Kingspan, the rest Ecotherm, most just has a scuff to the edge, some corners cut off. Not a problem when it is to be cut to fit the shapes of the panel recesses, and a saving of about 1/3 on the price, and insulation isn't cheap. This will be paneled over with 9mm OSB board, and that painted white. I will just fit the insulation into the ceiling, and put laths over to hold it. I might do something more picturesque later, but boards for 24x14 plus the slope angle, were going to cost too much on top of the rest of the shed, so just silver insulation outers for the moment. I am also adding some security features too.

I hope to finish it over the next week, and then get the layout set up, and get back on with some modelling. I have a couple of heaters for it, but suspect that in the new year some more heating will be required.

I am happy to answer questions about the shed if it is of any help. Obviously for security some answers might not be posted openly on the thread.

It will be good to run trains again, especially the new locos I have bought, see if my Garrett is a good one or one of the problem ones before I start to detail and weather it.

So hopefully updates on Ellerby will start happening again, although after 22 years away from University, I am again a student, and have the pressures of delivering work for my course as well, but I am sure that won't keep me away from the layout too much.

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 6

To celebrate my 50th birthday, an appropriate little treat from Ebay, a Hornby Class 50,
Hornby50.jpg

and a lovely present from my partner Sarah, not quite a BR loco, but definitely something I will find an excuse to run on the layout, an early preserved loco that never was, but should have been. Tempted to get some of the new Hornby K class Pullmans to put behind it, I know it should have Gresley coaches, but then those would end up maroon on my layout. Suggestions?
HornbyP2.jpg

Better get on with that that shed insulation and wiring so that I can set up the layout and get the two of them running.

Edited by Jamiel

I'm doing exactly the same thing re: the P2. My interest is late 80s and early 90s but the P2 is gorgeous so I had to have one even though none were preserved.

I was really tempted by the deal locomotion is having on teaks - £25 a pop! I was tempted but decided I'll stick with one of my two preservation Mk1 takes instead. LNER Apple green looks excellent hauling Bachmann Mk1 Pullmans.

Edited by sub39h
  • Like 1

I think when I can justify the expense, some of these new Hornby Pullmans would fit very well behind the P2. They would of course fit well behind quite a few of my other locos, and be quite authentic (Thompson A1, Britannia, Class 40, etc.)

R4663%201%20-%20%20Pullman%20First%20Cla

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93628-Hornby-announce-k-type-1928-pullman-cars/

I have always had a pet hate of the curtains on the previous Hornby Pullmans. I wonder if I got some of those, if the curtains can be removed, Hattons have a few on sale at the moment.

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think there are snails building layouts, and sheds quicker than me. The combination of work for my M.A, and it simply being too cold to do anything in the shed has held me back this last month.

Anyway a couple of photos to show the joys of insulation. Even this is going slowly. The cross braces may make each panel stronger, but they also make cutting the Kingspan, and Ecotherm a ######, then twice as much sealing tape because of the extra edge.

Shed5.jpg

Shed6.jpg

I am dying to get on with some modelling, but I can't skimp on this stage, otherwise I know I'll freeze when I am in there. Hopefully it will get there soon.

One thing I have learned is that you have to wear a mask when cutting insulation, otherwise you get a throat full of dry powdery foam.

By the way I wasn't able to resit the Hattons sale on the Hornby Pullman carriages, and joy of joys, four out of the five don't have curtains.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well still shed building, but very nearly there. Hope to start getting the layout baseboards in over the next few days.

Three walls are now insulated and boarded, and the other wall is insulated. The roof is also insulated, apart from the edge that needs the wall doing first, as the ceiling insulation overlaps the wall boards. Outside still a handful of over-boarding joints to complete and the far side gutter. That can be done at leisure, as it is extra to the basic construction, but still best to get done soon.

ShedMar15.jpg

The job lot of insulation boards worked out really well, just one spare, plus a lot of small off cuts. I didn't continue with the aluminum sealing tape after the first wall, as I know this will be moved within a couple of years, and the next location should be a lot more permanent. Cutting insulation boards really does need a mask over your nose and mouth, and eye protectors when pushing into place, especially the ceiling boards.

The OSB boards cut really well, and give a nice finish. I am going to paint them white, for more light and also to give a nicer background for the layout (not a fan of back-scenes).

Overall I am really pleased with how the shed has come together even if it has taken a long time (mostly due to the amount of work on my M.A. course).

So hopefully my next post will have the layout boards, tracks, trains and buildings, and be back to actual modelling. Can't wait.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Well some progress these last few weeks.

Shed lined and painted.
Shed10.jpg

The baseboards are in, but not set up. Here are couple. (Sorry about the exposure on some photos).
Shed9.jpg

Shelves and trains in, and a hefty padlock on the door, plus other security measures too. Also some roof shelves added to the left in this picture.
Shed7.jpg

Workbench set up, but still covered with the junk from assembly and unpacking of things.
Shed8.jpg

Despite all that, I am starting work on a long neglected project, Presflos.
Presflo1.jpg

I have always liked Presflo wagons, seeing them often when I was a boy trainspotting in the 70's. They work well with my locos too, everything from Black 5's through to Class 58's pulled them in one form or another. I know the 56's and 58's are a bit of a stretch as they pulled altered ones to transport fly ash from power stations, but hopefully anyone looking at the layout will turn a blind eye to that detail.

I bought a dozen or more Dapol kits when I got back into railway modelling a few years ago, but didn't get around to making most of them. Three I assembled and put a basic spray of paint of them, but they were put aside. I also bought an old Wrenn Presflo too. Since then Bachmann have released their excellent model, in a number of variants.

I bought two of the Bachmann models from Ebay, mostly to use as a guide for detailing the Dapol kits. I still like the Dapol kits a lot, and don't feel they need too much work to make them work alongside the Bachmann ones. I have made a start removing the chunky walkways from the top of one of the assembled Dapols, but here is my plan for working on them.

Bachmann (x2)
- the Blue Circle placards have been removed, the molding stubbs filed down. The affected squares in the frame will be painted, and then have the PRESFLO CEMENT (or maybe just the latter) added from the Cambridge Custom transfers set (I have enough for 15 wagons - I think). Add Smiths 3 link couplings.

Dapols (x12)
- Cut down the walkways, and mount on plasticard strips to best match the Bachmanns (the ends will be filled, but it will look better than the current state).
- Add grab handles and the lamp holders from brass wire/strip to the top of the chassis.
- Add the tube down the side from brass wire, and hopefully the little wire to the gauge, from a very thin wire.

- I have a set of brass etched round handles, I will add one of these to the each wagon, like the biggest of the handles seen on the Bachmann.

- Add the warning panel on the side, possibly from thin brass strip.

- Add the safety rails at the top of the ladders.

- I might replace the plastic moulded ladders with etched brass ones, these are not quite right, but the lighter brass ones may just look better, and bend over at the top better.

- I will also try and add in metal bearings to wheels to sit in.

These will all be painted to match the Bachmann colours, and transfer using the Cambridge sheets.
Oh, and start assembling the remaining ten or so kits.
Some details differ, but I don't mind that, it will look like a rake that has been put together over time. I am also willing to live with the buffers from the Dapol kits, although am willing to be persuaded otherwise by forum memebrs.

Wrenn
- this might be difficult as the chassis is basic, as is the detail on it, and it is also metal (I think). I'll give it a try and see if I can make it match.

They will all then be weathered, fairly heavily.

Nice to actually start making something in OO gauge again, rather that in full size with the shed building.

I will also get the layout set up very soon, dying to start running some trains, but I will also extend some of it, but that may be more in the long run.

Hopefully more very soon.

Jamie.

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 8

Guest bri.s

I'm very jealous of the space and man cave you have lol

Really looking forward to seeing Ellerby up and running again

Brian

• Like 1

A very quick update.

Dapol Presflo assembled a while ago, no placards fitted, and holes roughly filled.
Presflo2.jpg

Work in progress showing the walkways and the side pipe added. I cut very small squares of plasticard/strip, and Mec'd (if that is a verb, which it is not I think) them to the bottom of the walkways after they had been filed thinner. One has slipped, but I will add some spill of concrete to cover when that happens as part of the weathering process. A couple of tiny plasticard off cuts, drilled through to hold the pipe, and a hole in the top. The arrow shows where I will add one of the brass hand wheels shown below. I think the work on the walkways is worth the time, as the top will be the most visible part, and I hope it will look better when painted and weathered.
Presflo3.jpg

A Bachmann Presflo from the same angle for comparison.
Presflo4.jpg

Smiths etched hand wheels.
Presflo5.jpg

Great to be modelling again.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 5

A little more progress on the first of the Dapol Prefslo detailing. Grab handles and lamp irons added, the small pipe to the gauge on the side from the downpipe, the switch handle, and three hand wheels added. The latter are probably just a tiny bit too large, but look OK to me. I'm not worried by the solder running in the two small wheels, if you look at the linked image below, they have that feel. I also did a little filling of tiny gaps at the base of the buffers with plastic filler.
Presflo6.jpg

The Dapol presflo is a model of a different batch to the Bachmann ones I have, looking at the Presflo Martin Imber's website: http://www.imber.me.uk/cpv.htm

Here is one of the Dapol type.
PCV-8673.jpg

Here is one of the Bachmann type:
CPV-B888085.jpg

I am not sure whether to add the information panels to the sides of the Dapol ones, as such they shouldn't have them, but on the other hand I am making a rake to fit together, and the only minor difference would be the handles and pipe arrangments at the bottom, and the lack of the pipe that goes around the base of the hopper. I'll sleep on it, I think I have a little leeway to play with options, it is a fictional layout as well. They will all be painted (dark) bauxite, and then well weathered anyway.

I am not going to hollow out the holders for the foot steps at the ends either, as I think they would be too weak, and I don't want to start making metal ones to add to each corner, although I have seen some beautiful wagons on other threads on the forum where people have gone to that level of detail, and loops under the various bars underneath.

Still to do, the ladders, the ladder hand rails, the couplings and the re-attach the brake pipes, and then do all the other wagons, hopefully a bit easier now I have experimented with this one.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I am not sure whether to add the information panels to the sides of the Dapol ones, as such they shouldn't have them, but on the other hand I am making a rake to fit together, and the only minor difference would be the handles and pipe arrangments at the bottom, and the lack of the pipe that goes around the base of the hopper. I'll sleep on it, I think I have a little leeway to play with options, it is a fictional layout as well. They will all be painted (dark) bauxite, and then well weathered anyway.

Apart from yourself, is anyone going to notice?

• RMweb Premium

A little more progress on the first of the Dapol Prefslo detailing. Grab handles and lamp irons added, the small pipe to the gauge on the side from the downpipe, the switch handle, and three hand wheels added. The latter are probably just a tiny bit too large, but look OK to me. I'm not worried by the solder running in the two small wheels, if you look at the linked image below, they have that feel. I also did a little filling of tiny gaps at the base of the buffers with plastic filler.

Presflo6.jpg

The Dapol presflo is a model of a different batch to the Bachmann ones I have, looking at the Presflo Martin Imber's website: http://www.imber.me.uk/cpv.htm

Here is one of the Dapol type.

PCV-8673.jpg

Here is one of the Bachmann type:

CPV-B888085.jpg

I am not going to hollow out the holders for the foot steps at the ends either, as I think they would be too weak, and I don't want to start making metal ones to add to each corner, although I have seen some beautiful wagons on other threads on the forum where people have gone to that level of detail, and loops under the various bars underneath.

Still to do, the ladders, the ladder hand rails, the couplings and the re-attach the brake pipes, and then do all the other wagons, hopefully a bit easier now I have experimented with this one.

Jamie

Your cement wagns are going to end up like mine!

Thanks Budgie

I know what you mean, but the rivet counters are always lurking - unfortunately I am one of them, I just bought a packet of rivets from America for the front of my P2.

I think you are right though, it is for a fictional layout, and can have fictional signs on the wagons. I will leave a couple off for wear and tear as well, as I have seen rakes like that.

MJI

I would love a link or for you to post an example of your Presflo's, inspiration is always appreciated.

Thanks for the replies.

Jamie

Well the first of the Presflo's to be detailed is done, and ready for painting,and probably a little filing off little bits of excess. I think the sunlight makes the bits of filler and the odd bit of excess solder look much worse than they do inside. I think the painting will make this look a lot better.

Presflo7.jpg

Presflo8.jpg

Presflo9.jpg

Presflo10.jpg

Left to right Bachmann (with Blue Circle boards, and couplings removed), detailed Dapol, and Dapol as built, without placards.

Presflo11.jpg

Presflo12.jpg

I am a little concerned about how far the buffers stick out, and if this might be a problem on corners. The couplings (Smiths 3 link) were put onto this first wagon by heating over a candle and pushing in, so might be a little too closely fitted. The next step will be to build one of the 10 kits I have to do, and hopefully the detailing will be quicker and easier, as I won't have to squeeze around parts already fitted, and I will have an idea of how to progress.

More (of the same I suspect) soon.

Jamie

• Like 5

Trying to be too clever!

I bought some Alan Gibson brass wheel bearings, I drilled a hole as far as I dared into the existing plastic bearing/slot, tried the wheels in place, which seemed OK, so stuck the bearings in place with some cyano glue (super glue).

Then when I turned the frame over realised I had a 'bow legged' frame. The glue had set, and I couldn't get the bearing out by pulling. I was about the write off this one, when I gave one last try, I used a very thin bit to drill through from the outside, and managed to push out the bearings. I then put the wheels in, and have left the frame in a vice overnight, to make it pull back to square.

Maybe if I had been a bit braver with drilling out the holes deeper for the bearings it might have worked.

I also tried cutting a space and threading the Smiths 3 link coupling through before fixing the top piece to the side bars, that didn't work either, although I do have a hole prepared ready to heat it and push through as before.

Presflo13.jpg

Presflo14.jpg

Before that, I also added a 1mm bar across either end on the model previously, there really isn't space to fit it exactly as it would be on the prototype, as the brakes are a little over scale, so I just sat it in between them. I noticed in the second shot in my previous post that the underside looked too empty. I forgot to get a photo, but it does look better.

This is no criticism of either the Alan Gibson bearings, which I have used on all my Parkside kits, but those are designed with them in mind, and no criticism of the Dapol (or old Airfix) kit either, which I think considering the age of the original design, is a fantastic model, and one when I bought it, was the only option other than old Wrenn, or the very rough Dapol ready to run models.

Anyway, I have left it at that for the night, a little wiser.

Hope to have a good modelling day tomorrow, now I can take a break from the uni projects I had to put in the last two weeks.

I will also see if I can get a little star gazing in later tonight to see if any of the meteor showers are prepared to show themselves.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jamie

the latest Dapol Kits have the wheel bearings set to take standard wheels sets. The older Airfix kits were designed around the very old round ended axle jackson wheels with either no bearings or the old Peco bearings.

If you fit top hats to the Airfix kits you can use the Alan Gibson shorter axle wheel sets (designed for use in Lima stock) or use a very fine soldering iron (heated) bit and persuade the bearings to the correct position to use standard axle length 00 wheels. It also helps if you file down the backs of the  axle boxes so that the wheels/bearings are set further out.

best regards

Barry