Ellerby - 4mm/OO gauge - All photos working, hotlinked.

Jamiel

The buildings looking very good with the paint added and great work on the internals next level modelling

P.s the books arrived and it's great some real good stuff in there

Brian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Work has been progressing slowly, too much filming on set, too many student submissions to mark. Still I have found some time to do things.

I've started on the main roof today, as I can't put in the ticket office/entrance details without knowing exactly how the bolts that will hold the roof on have to be hidden, one in the front right waiting room that will be curtained mostly, and the other hidden through the little box where the tickets are checked.

Thin ply pieces cut to shape.

StnMain94.jpg

Side braces being marked to cut out.

StnMain95.jpg

Glued together and left to dry. I am not worried about the roughness of the gluing as it will be all hidden.

StnMain96.jpg

Meanwhile the interiors are slowly progressing.

StnMain97.jpg

More dry brushing of the exterior and windows frames painted and the glazing done. The toilet windows have tracing paper behind the clear plastic for the frosting.

StnMain98.jpg

StnMain99.jpg

StnMain100.jpg

Oh and one other land mark, since my last post the views on the thread have gone over (drum roll)..........

Thank you to everyone who has contributed, commented, ticked the icons or just had a glance.

I have received my Christmas/birthday present early in the form of a Comet Caprotti Black 5 brass etched kit, which I hope to start after this building and once I have done the Comet LMS Inspection coach. A Walthers bookshop kit also arrived which will be bashed a bit to anglicise it, along with the Kibri kit. Although slowly, it does feel like the layout is moving forward and may even have a section between the bridges fiarly complete in a couple of months.

Also watching the news from Warley, still waiting for the Peco bullhead, and quite excited about the Bachmann Stanier Mogul. The Hornby Ivatt Duchess looks really good, both would be a stretch for Ellerby but I doubt I can resist the Stanier Mogul.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117226-seen-at-warley/

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 10

More roof work.

As with the signal box, even though I followed the plans prety well, the pitch on the roof looked too shallow, so I cut some new side supports and some triangular fillets to add to the corner braces and glued them in place.

StnMain101.jpg

Chimneys have been extended accordingly. I am fixing the roof in place with coach bolts which pass through the building, hopefully hidden by details where they are in rooms that are visible, and then they will be secured through the floor inside the base. This is so that wiring for the lights can always be accessed. The corner blacks make sure that any play on the bolts does not leave the roof out of position, and is locked into place.

StnMain102.jpg

The first of the roof slopes being glued and held in position.

StnMain103.jpg

The other three sloping pieces and chimney stack middles.

StnMain104.jpg

After a couple of weeks of slow fine detailing it was good to get back on with big parts of the structure. I can use the same method of fixing for one of the back roofs, but the one above the stairwell will need some other method.

Jamie

• Like 5

Great work Jamie,it's looking very nice ,like the idea of the bolts holding roof on ,I've been toying with the idea of using magnets ,got to try it yet though lol

Brian

Hi Brain.

I think magnets is a great idea. I would love to see how that works.

I always go for the industrial strength method, partly as I drop things so much, but there are always different options for achieving the same result.

I'm dying to get on with the bricks on the chimneys and the tiling of the roofs.

Jamie

Thanks ,I'll have a test this week and see how it goes ,I've some small rare earth magnets doing nothing so I'll have a mess with them I just hope other things don't come with the roof when I take it off lol

How are you doing the roof tiles and what size will they be please

Looking forward to how you get on

Brian

I'm going to use the York Model Making laser cut adhesive backed tiles.

http://www.yorkmodelmaking.co.uk/00-scale/tiles-and-ridges

Not as cheap as miking them yourself from card, but nicely cut and very easy to use. I have used them on my goods building and also on the signal box which I am hoping to finish at the same time as the station building (mostly the lighting and rood to do on that). I over did the broken and slipped tiles a little of the goods building, but I still want to give the roof an old feel with teh odd corner cut off tiles, and some slightly slipped down.

Geoff Taylor makes his won tiles as demonstrated in his book by cutting card, which I may try on one of the other buildings to see how time consuming it is.

Jamie

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't realise it was a nearly a month since my last update, I have been working long hours on a film set for three and a half weeks and also marked twenty student submissions (the last but one set, as I have pulled out of lecturing for the time being).

I have managed a few hours to do a little on the station building, but much more the last couple of days now I am on holiday. The first image shows the brickwork, which is fairly decorative on the chimney stacks.

StnMain106.jpg

And with various Scene Setters moulded white metal chimneys added. Now waiting to dry.

StnMain107.jpg

My main Christmas present from my partner was a Comet Caprotti Black 5, which will be first attempt at a brass loco at some point in the new year. Looking forward to that, but will make my Comet LMS inspection saloon first to get a start on brass modelling.

Happy holidays all.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 6

Nice work on the roof Jamie ,I'm looking forward to the slates going on

Have you added the ridge tile bits now before tiling the roof ?will you tile right upto them or over them?

Merry Christmas Jamie

Brian

Hi Brian

I am thinking of adding round Evergreen plastic rod on top of the plastic rides I have made to make the decorative ridges on the building, and then scoring into those to make lead strips at the ridges. The plastic currently on there is just to allow these to be glued on.

The tiles will be York die cut sticky tiles up to the ridges, and then a joining piece over that (not sure how yet). I am planning on doing the gutters first on this roof.

I will post stage by stage photos, so that the process can be seen in full.

Merry Christmas too.

Jamie

• Like 1

More roof progress. First gutter holders cut from 30 thou plasticard. These are practical and hold the gutters in place. 2.5mm holes drilled, and then cut down with a knife/scalpel. Made in pairs around each hold cut.

StnMain108.jpg

StnMain109.jpg

Gutters from half round Evergreen strips (No.243 - 2.5mm). Cosmetic gutter holders added in between, made the same way, but without the edge for mounting. Also strips of 40 thou and off-cut from Southeast Finecast brick plastic sheets to lift the slates from the gutter and also give the slightly shallower angle buildings often have for the bottom couple of feet oft eh roof.

StnMain110.jpg

The gutter tops and (more importantly) the space behind the gutters painted matt black. Glad I remembered this, and getting the brush in there on the goods building was a real fuss. This will not be the final black on the gutters, just a first coat for the top.

StnMain111.jpg

Starting adding the slates, pre-cut adhesive backed made by York Model Making. Cutting off the odd corner to stop them looking too die cut, and the odd one slipped up or down to age the roof a bit, but not as much as I did on the goods building which would have needed re roofing were it real.

StnMain112.jpg

Continued....

StnMain113.jpg

Roof top ridges made from the same plasticard as the gutters, half round 243. I ran out, so the top one is made from plastic sprue from a Dapol set of station figures. Scored to look like separate pieces.

I was also planing to have edges on the ridges, like lead piece either side. I tried one, but it looked ugly, and I also checked the photos I have which show the  tiles right up to the ridge pieces. I peeled back the rough end tiles I had cut expecting to cover the ragged edge over, and spent a couple of hours carefully cutting new angled end tiles that fit to the ridges. I think it look a lot better.

I have also added leading around the chimney bases cut from making tape.

StnMain114.jpg

Ready for a coat of primer, but it is far too late to venture out to the shed tonight. Hopefully in the morning before I have to get on with my duties for the day.

Happy New Year in case I don't post before then, and good riddance to the murderous 2016.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 4

Initial coats of paint, Humbrol Matt 70 for the bricks and Matt 31 (slate grey) for the slates. Left to dry for a day.

StnMain115.jpg

Starting on the waiting room roof. First a template cut from card to make sure it fits OK, then from thin plywood.

StnMain116.jpg

The under frame for the roof. This was then sanded with the Dremmel as this was a little rough.

StnMain117.jpg

The first two top pieces cut and being held in position.

StnMain118.jpg

Hopefully more later, but it is the last night of the NFL (American Football) season so I might be concentrating on that too much to really do any work.

Happy New Year.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 3

A couple of images showing how the back roofs are progressing. I am really glad that I went to the National Railway Museum's archive to photograph the plans of the 1860's Finchey Road station. I am not sure that I would have come up with the shape of the back building on the right or the interesting little bit of roof on the inside of the 'L' shape, but I do think it adds a lot to the overall look of the station building.

Looking at the frame for the small roof on the left in these images, I think I might sand off a couple of millimeters as for once I think I have made the roof too high and too sharply pitched. Throughout the roofing process I have added a few millimeters to the height of the roofs as they looks far too flat and modern once built, but this roof is so small that it needed very little addition.

StnMain119.jpg

StnMain120.jpg

I have ordered some MRH half round plastic strut, as it comes in packs of ten as opposed to the packs of three for Evergreen, and that was getting expensive considering how much I am using for ridge tiles and gutters on this building.

Having a good couple of days modelling before returning to work tomorrow.

Jamie

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

A fair bit of work this week, but it doesn't really show up much on photos. Three coats of paint on the chimney tops, the usual brick red (Humbrol Matt 70), then light stone for the mortar (Humbrol Matt 121) painted on and then wiped of after 30 seconds to leave it in the mortar recess, then a mix of brick red and mostly chocolate (Humbrol Matt 98) dry brushed over.

The back roofs have had barge boards, gutters and slates added. I think this looks O.K. on the larger roof, but adding all that to the small stairwell roof has made it look like a mushroom, so I will make a smaller roof for that, and use the first attempt at a roof for an out building somewhere. The MRH half round plastic strut is great.

StnMain121.jpg

Hopefully more soon, but there are four American Football NFL playoff games to watch this weekend, not mention the ODI cricket as well.

Having had a look at the Hornby Class 31 thread on the forum, I think I can add swapping a lot of the internals from the bad mazak Hornby chassis to a Lima chassis from Ebay for my two Brush Twos that need that doing. No end of projects to fill this year, and still dying to get on with my brass Comet LMS Inspection saloon and then Caprotti Black 5, more buildings both scratch and kit bashed. At least I have finished filming on set for the film 'Solis' (which I think is looking great), so will have more evenings coming up.

My six year old daughter is getting enthusiastic about the station building, so I might get a SuperQuick kit for the two of us to make together. It is where I started on model railway buildings, and although I know a lot of people are not too keen on them, I think they are a great introduction to making buildings, and she would be so excited to add something to the layout.

More soon.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 5

A new stairwell building roof has been made. On the left below.

StnMain122.jpg

It is only slightly smaller, but it does make a difference.
StnMain123.jpg

A look at the back roofs ready to be paitned.
StnMain124.jpg

Hopefully the next section of the modelling will not look so samey.

Jamie

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been very busy with other things, but did get time to make a start on the lighting, with a Digitrains lighting kit - I knwo I could have probably got the bit from Maplin for a fraction of the price, but I don't know my electronics, and especially the colour code on resistors. I may look there next time now I have a template to work with, but then again the Digitrains packs are simple to use, and I know what I will get, and they are nice people to ask questions of, and get advice in general.

LED base painted black.

StnMain133.jpg

Coolie lamp shade cut from pill holder as per advice on RMweb. The back painted black.

StnMain134.jpg

On and off in position.

StnMain135.jpg

StnMain136.jpg

I hope I will get time for some serious modelling soon.

Jamie

• Like 7

More wiring/L.E.D's and some floor painting, plus painting exterior details.
StnMain137.jpg

Interior details worked on more ready start fitting them. I need to get my printer set up to print off some curtains and interiors for unlit rooms. I am a big fan of the Dapol/Airfix figures, I feel they conform to human proportions very well (Da Vinci's 'The Vitruvian Man'), and can be fairly easily chopped about into different positions.

StnMain138.jpg

StnMain139.jpg

StnMain140.jpg

StnMain142.jpg

I think the camera makes these look a bit rough, but I am sure they will be fine when only seen through windows in the lit rooms.

I hope to get a ticket inspection booth made later, and then the ceiling in (just sitting so that I can get to things below if I need to.

Thanks for all the ticks and feedback, please feel free to comment or ask questions.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 7