Ellerby - 4mm/OO gauge - All photos working, hotlinked.

Jamiel

More of the same doing the other driving unit chassis. The one new thing is I bought a bar of rolled steel to use as a weight which you can see a piece cut off and screwed onto the bottom of the two chassis.

Class120_53.jpg

Class120_54.jpg

Class120_55.jpg

The Alan Gibnson wheels are lovely, but they are the opposite of the old Hornby wheels in that they have very fine flanges, so it is very good at derailing on any badly laid track. Mostly this is temporary track waiting to be laid properly, but also it has shown up a couple of pieces that will need more work on them. That does make it a good test unit.

Hopefully I will finish the underframes and have something new to show soon.

Jamie

• Like 3

A bit of work on the back end (if that doesn’t sound too Julian Clary or Kenneth Williams!).

I have a couple of Roxey Mouldings working scissors kits, but I have read that they can foul on DMU exhaust pipes, and for this build I think they might be a step too far both in terms of my ability to construct and also in level of detail.

I have used parts from the Roxey kits though as a guide as well as a Hornby DMU scissors to bend the door shapes around. So far I have been doing the brass bits. There will be a little plasticard to add, but I don’t want to over details this part, daft as that sounds. Looking at the photos I psoted on the previous page there is more I could add, but I will play it by ear as it is already very ‘busy’ around the doors. I am also going to ignore the mest safety covers as I don't see a way of modlling that which isn't too 'heavy' looking.

Reference collage.

Exhausts.jpg

Class120_56.jpg

Class120_57.jpg

Sorry not the best photos, and also a lot of dust from filing down bits.

Class120_58.jpg

Class120_59.jpg

Class120_60.jpg

Class120_61.jpg

Still to fill the top edges. The connectors will be made of card, but will be added after painting, or at least after initial painting.

I did finish the other driving unit underframe as well. Sadly looking at the new photos of the latest Bachmann DMUs their underframes have raised the level of modelling that part of a DMU very high. Still they are done as far as I am concerned.

More soon.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 6

The second back done as far as solderin is done. I also added some detail to the exhusts made from bending brass offcuts aroud a piece of wire and soldering them on. Still need a bit of cleaning, sanding down to get ri of excess solder.

Class120_62.jpg

Class120_63.jpg

Class120_64.jpg

I have some connectors to pass live wires through to double as the connector pipes as well as allow practical DC controlled lighting.

Probably time to move on to the centre car.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 3

I have started on the centre car. The Replica chassis sits a bit too high, and I can not see any way of adjusting the height of the bogie mounts, so I have taken off the chassis side and am replacing it with a cut down Comet one. I have been cutting away parts to fit the Replica one, and also adding cross braces and drilling through those to allow the existing screw hole to be used to mount it.

Class120_65.jpg

Mostly done while listening to an amzing day's cricket on the radio.

Jamie

• Like 2

Thanks for the encouragement Brian.

I suspect that I won't be taking photos outdoors on an evening for much longer as Autumn takes hold. The centre car is progressing.

Here are all three cars as they currently are.

Class120_66.jpg

Class120_67.jpg

I had made the water filler pipes at the ends from 0.7mm wire, which I decided was too thick, so they have been replace with 0,53mm (I think, an imperial thickness anyway) wire. Still to do those on the centre car. The photos make it look much more blotchy than it does to the eye, but it will all be cleaned and primed before painting.

Class120_68.jpg

Class120_69.jpg

Class120_70.jpg

All the centre car end details are scratch made except the short grab handle holders.

Class120_71.jpg

A few shots of the undersides.

Class120_72.jpg

Class120_73.jpg

Class120_74.jpg

This is a really enjoyable build, but still lots to do before I get on to priming the bodies. Everything under the centre car. The end joins need filling and the edges refining a bit too. Various small details to add, and then the door hinges and the small board holders for the sides, a few small bits of Plasticard detail like the lamp holder bracket bases. I still also want to see if I can drill out the outer front lights and put LEDs in them, as well as some lighting inside the roofs. This is definitely going to be a project with lots still to do.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 3

Hi Lez.Z

Yes she is, we got her from York Cats Protection four years ago. We saw some lovely cats there yesterday at their open day, unfortunately Max is not one far sharing her home, otherwise we would probably have brought at least one other cat back.

Max is very laid back, despite her scowl in that photo, really good with children. Her predecessor China was also a MaineCoon.

China1.jpg

China was also a rescue cat, she followed Mip a very feisty back streets stray I adopted as a student. After Mip died I fostered cats but found them all 'wusses', so I asked the CPS if they had any cats with a bit of attitude, China a very small MaineCoon 7lbs, she had cornered the last person who tried to adopt her in a room. The second day I had her she gave me cuts that almost needed stiches according to vet who clipped her claws the day after. The cuts healed, and China calmed down, she was just scared, but she never lost her like for using her teeth and claws to let you know if she was displeased though. I didn’t mind, she had a lot of personality, and bit a neighbour I particularly disliked.

Max is a much calmer individual, and very good with our daughter, as was China with the very occasional exception when she was pestered too much.

I would really recommend a MaineCoon if you want a calm and friendly cat (China excepted), the males grow to a huge size, almost that of a small border collie sheep dog, and no doubt eat you out of house and home. They are social eaters which is really nice, China would beckon us to go over to her food bowl just so that she could have her back stroked when she was eating.

Cats Protection League do have MaineCoons, but they don’t say if cats are a specific breed to stop collectors getting them cheaply and also presumably to try and prevent inbreeding which can be an issue (particularly the case now with some dog breeds). At the York CPS open day yesterday we saw some lovely cats, and if Max were not a solitary cat we would have loved to bring Stormy (MainCoon I think, at least in part, we would changed his name slightly to Stormzy, he looked very cool), or the very gentle looking Cyril, a lovely black and white cat.

I like cats as much as I like trains as you can tell.

Back to trains soon.

EDIT: Just discovered that RMweb deletes the term ###### second half of the cats breed name. Rightly so, I had forgotten its use as a racist term, but it would make discussing writers of the original Star Trek series hard, Gene L ###### being a major contributor.

Edited by Jamiel

• RMweb Gold

Yeh I had that trouble too mate it really don't like the space between the two words.

My daughter had a miniature cream smoked mainecoon, Fred! He's just passed away sadly. Does yours like water? Most of the ones I've known liked water a lot.

Regards Lez.Z.  

• RMweb Gold

I have a 6KG standard Bengal called Ozzy, That's as in Osborn!!!! and a 4KG black Russian Blue. All the rest of the litter were blue and he was black. He has all of the other trates of a russian blue but he's as black as a coal hole at midnight. He also has a mean streak about a mile wide. That's stitches and IV antibiotics in a day ward and come back for some more tomorrow type mean. But what can you do he's such a lovable little ninja assassin. 

Regards Lez.Z.     

• Like 1

Back to the Class 120. I have kept the Hornby bogies as much in tact as I can for the centre car to fit over the Replica bogies. Cut back to get rid of a lot of unnecessary bulk. I kept the brakes, apart from one that I slipped with the Dremmel and hacked off, replaced by a Plasticard piece cut after this photo was taken. The untoiched one at the back ready for the Dremmel and razor saw.

Class120_75.jpg

Just clipped in place, I don't think I will need to do more than that to hold them. Still to add the bit in the middle of the bogies which will again be Plasticard.

Class120_76.jpg

Class120_77.jpg

Water filler pipes added to the two ends of the centre car, as well as details to the chassis sides.

Class120_78.jpg

Class120_79.jpg

Class120_80.jpg

Max the cat is fast asleep on my bed, off to join her in a minute.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 4

Thank you Eddie, and to everyone else for the feedback, the ticks and encouragement.

A little more work on the underframe of the centre/catering car, one side almost done, but I suspect there will be some fine detailing to do on all the underframes before painting.

Class120_81.jpg

Class120_82.jpg

Class120_83.jpg

Class120_84.jpg

Jamie

• Like 3

The underframe on the centre car is getting close to being done.

Class120_85.jpg

Class120_86.jpg

Class120_87.jpg

Class120_88.jpg

I put the three units together, but the lighting was pretty bad where there was space to do that, hence the quality of the photo. Good to check what does and does not line up between the units. The centre car bogie outers need raising a bit, so just clipping them as they are will not work.

Class120_89.jpg

I also need to straighten out the buffers a bit. I also know the tanks underneath the frame should have a slightly wider diameter, but nowhere near that of the tanks from the Dapol parts I have for a class 128 so I will leave them as is. I am tempted to add a bit more detail to them though, there are some clips that are easily visible on many photos which could be fabricated from brass or plastic.

Still good to see it reach this stage.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 8

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the long time between posts, starting on my first full term of lecturing in my new job, plus all the travelling has left me with little time for modelling the last couple of months. I have been doing odd bits to the Class 120s, so here is some catching up.

I asked on the Wright Writes thread for advice on filling the small gaps between the coach/unit end and the roof and was told that epoxy resin (Araldite) is a good filler for that space.

I also bought some thin 2mm LEDs for the front lights and carefully drilled out the outside front light mouldings. Just pushed through to check they fit, big back ends, but I can hide those without any problem.

Class120_92.jpg

Class120_93.jpg

Various bits of detail have been added to the bodies ahead of them being undercoated. Extreme etchings double windscreen wipers, a bit of straightening will be needed on one. Door bangers cut from thin round plastic strip, what I presume were destination card holders near the door, again cut from thin plastic strip.

When in green livery the units had some sort of detail above many of the windows, this was filed to shape and put in as well. Not sure what these were but they don’t seem to be there by the time of blue livery. I did wonder about doing the lining first and then adding these, but thought they would likely damage the lining and be likely to be knocked off easily. They will make the lining fun to do on the sides at the top.

Class120_94.jpg

The space behind the cab top lights was filled with pieces of plastic sprue of the right diameter cut to shape and glued in position. Lining tape has been put the moulded cab roofs, but I think it would be too obtrusive for the rest of the roof, so I will probably draw it in with a ruler and lightly spray over it to give the effect of the lining ribs.

Class120_95.jpg

Class120_96.jpg

Class120_97.jpg

For the centre coach I have added some inner lugs to hold the body in position above the Replica Railways chassis, as just attaching it at the ends of the brass frame I added on allowed it to drop a little at the ends.

Class120_98.jpg

Some plastic details added at the ends too.

Class120_99.jpg

Filing the cab edges to be curved had left some tiny gaps which would let light through from the LEDs, here you can see one held up to the light.

Class120_100.jpg

As with the roof ends these have been filled with a little epoxy resin.

Class120_101.jpg

Class120_102.jpg

It is being left to set, then some cleaning and fine Wet & Dry work to tidy up odd bit before being undercoated, hopefully tomorrow.

Now I am settled into work I should be able to make time for modelling and post more regularly.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 4

Interestingly one of Dave F's photos posted today of a class 120 in blue does still have the details above the windows. I wonder if they were some kind of vent?

If you don't know the thread it is a wonderful resource for transition though to TOPS BR rolling stock and locations, you can spend hours just roaming the thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-24th-november/page-584&do=findComment&comment=3376241

post-5613-0-83636100-1543073299.jpg

Because of the curve of the sides the 120s also have top hinges on the doors that stick out quite a bit, but to model these would means making specific top hinges for each door, they would probably break off easily, and my feeling would not look good on a model anyway.

Anyway, Dave F’s photo is a wonderful and detailed view of the class at work.

Jamie

EDIT. Many thanks to Market65 (Rob), the details above the windows were destination board holders, and they were removed from the Class 120s and other classes when they were refurbished. Makes perfect sense.

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 3

Posts like busses, you wait 2 months for the next one then all of a sudden three posts in 2 days.

The bodies have had an initial prime using Phoenix Precision PQ5 in a can rather than the airbrush.

It has been flossed with a little cotton where I ran too much on door details or hand rails. The Phoenix primer has a far finer grain than the Halfords I had used before, it runs very easily, but I like the finish much more. I dabbed off a couple of places where it had pooled, the cab door area on the until in the middle in the picture, and I suspect that when it is dry I will use Wet&Dry to tidy a few areas. It may need a very little dusting to patch over some areas.

Class120_103.jpg

Class120_104.jpg

It will now be left a few days as I am working away until Thursday. I also cut out card templates of the door pieces to put in which I will make from plasticard and use the strengthen the bodies and also the cabs driving console.

Class120_105.jpg

Hopefully more progress at the end of the week to report.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Well term is over so hopefully a little more time for modelling, although research work must carry on.

First a couple of control desks to fit after the windows have been glazed.

Class120_106.jpg

Another layer of primer and brush painting of the cab roofs. More painting to come, but will need to go out to the cold shed for the airbrush.

Class120_107.jpg

I will also make the internal partitions and doors mostly to give the interior some bracing.

Jamie

• Like 8

Preparing parts for the interiors. There are 4 shaped partitions with doors made from 30 thou plasticard which will give some bracing to the body.

I have taken some seats I have from one of the previous DMU conversions and cut them up to fit the layout of the Class 120. I don’t think that I will bother with arm the rests which should really be there given that all the windows will have curtains. I have covered the backs with plasticard offcuts so they are not obviously hollow.

All to be painted before being set in and some passengers added as well as a driver.

Class120_108.jpg

Class120_109.jpg

I also need to get on and paint the body, but haven’t been in the mood for braving the shed this week as it is cold, or too wet to carry the models out there, but it will happen soon.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 4

When I have finished with my airbrush I have taken to dropping it in a jar of white spirit, sometime I break it right down to its parts but when I expect to use it again soon I just take out the needle. I tend to leave the back and top for the reservoir off even when using it.

Here just after applying some Phoenix Paints BR DMU Green Dull.

Class120_110.jpg

First coats of paint on the bodies.

Class120_111.jpg

Class120_112.jpg

Some new transfers from Fox ordered yesterday morning and arrived here in the post today, I trust Fox to post as soon as ordered but I was very surprised by 1st class Post at Christmas time being next day!

Some older transfers will be needed, some Fox and some HRMS. I think I have all I need for this project though and also ordered some new Class 124 transfers to resume my Transpennine DMUs as well.

Class120_113.jpg

Good to be back modelling again.

Jamie

• Like 5