Ellerby - 4mm/OO gauge - All photos working, hotlinked.

Jamiel

• RMweb Gold

The arcade is coming along well and looks either the bees or the dogs, take your pick. How's the house move coming along, you not been chucked out on the street yet?

Quick question regarding the Class 124, specifically the TSL. I've decided to start my build, at least the easier bits first so the TSL it is. I'm looking for an interior photo if possible, I need to know if there were windows in the sliding doors between the compartments and also windows either side of the doors as in most DMUs. My thought is there would be windows in the doors but not either side, but I can't find any evidence,

Cheers

Andy

Tiling the front and side roofs, which will be all for the main roof. I have added plasticard tiling to the dormas I built from scratch.

Arcade_97.jpg

Adding the leading around the joins, made from paper scored and pushed into place with a scalpel.

Arcade_98.jpg

Arcade_99.jpg

I have filed off the Germanic round tiles on the red roofed dormas. Not sure if I should leave the four central ones as they are with the diamond tiles and cross hatched sides.

Arcade_96.jpg

I have also to decide what to do with the big cross roof behind the decorative front, tiles the same as the roof, or use the plasticard tiles.

One a different subject, house hunting is not going well, multiple offers on every place we have liked, and only one that would have fitted out needs so far. A bad time to be looking as lots of landlords are selling rather than renting due to the stamp duty freeze at the moment.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 hours ago, Andy 53B said:

The arcade is coming along well and looks either the bees or the dogs, take your pick. How's the house move coming along, you not been chucked out on the street yet?

Quick question regarding the Class 124, specifically the TSL. I've decided to start my build, at least the easier bits first so the TSL it is. I'm looking for an interior photo if possible, I need to know if there were windows in the sliding doors between the compartments and also windows either side of the doors as in most DMUs. My thought is there would be windows in the doors but not either side, but I can't find any evidence,

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy

A few interior shots on the Railcar.co.uk webiste.

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-124/description

I'll PM you some photos too.

EDIT. It looks like the same as the Class 120s, windows in the door, going down to the handle height, with windows either side from the exterior window top to the top of the headrests. I think both 120s and 124s were based on BR MK1 coaches and followed then fairly closely.

I was ready to start mine, but feel a half built one might be too fragile to make through a house move.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Perhaps the question in my earlier post about the dorma tiles and sides was rhetorical. If I needed to ask if they were right, then I knew they were not. I have overlaid all the dorma roofs with the plasticard (Slaters I suspect) tiles, and I have put paper over the hatched sides.

I have also tiled the central roof behind the detailed frontage, and have done the leading on the right hand side of the roof.

Arcade_100.jpg

Quite a productive evening.

• Like 8

Working on the flat area of the roof, the back and central chimney.

Arcade_101.jpg

Arcade_102.jpg

Arcade_103.jpg

Arcade_104.jpg

I will have to look at those tiles at the left side where they rise up, and replace them, I think.

Each shop will have a different back depending on what is extended for their use. Still being based on shops around the Vicar Lane and market area of Leeds.

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 15

We have found a new place, good school nearby, much more modern than here, but I suspect the garden is too small to set up the shed, so for the time being the layout will be packed away.

I may set up part of it in the garage to work on, and to be honest it is the building of it that is my main interest. I was looking forward to some running and extending the station area, the latter may be measured up before the move ready.

In the meantime, I have been working on the Arcade and specifically the baker’s shop.

Arcade_105.jpg

Arcade_106.jpg

Arcade_107.jpg

I suspect that within the next 18 months we may be moving again, and I am applying for an interesting job that might bring in much more pay, so things may change.

If anyone within half an hour’s dive of York wants to borrow a shed (24x14 ft) and a layout, I would consider it.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Just a little painting on the cakes and bread and the shop needs a lot more of them as well.
Arcade_108.jpg

Mostly packing and then taking the shed down at the end of next week. I will keep modelling, but will only have a small part of the layout set up to work on at the new place.

Jamie

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

1 hour ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

Cherry Bakewells the size of the serving ladies head; i'll have one of them, whats its address again?

Yes, I agree they are a bit big. I intended them to be cakes, but with just the icing they didn't look right, so I put a red dot in the middle. Perhaps I should have put several smaller dots around the edge.

The loaves of bread would also be about 18 inches long and too fat.

It doesn't look too bad when in situ though. Even at this size cutting gluing and painting were all a bit of a faff. I have done less than half of the food needed for the shop so far, there are a lot of shelves to fill, so maybe can get some smaller cakes around there.

It all might have to wait until I have moved though as I suspect modelling time over the next couple of weeks will be pretty limited.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure they'll look fine behind the window Jamie. If they were all scale size you wouldn't see them very well at all once installed in the building.

Regards Lez.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Jamiel said:

I have done less than half of the food needed for the shop so far, there are a lot of shelves to fill, so maybe can get some smaller cakes around there.

Model it in the evening when they've nearly sold out...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Progress, or possibly more accurately regress. Here are the boxes containing almost all my rolling stock packed up in the back room ready for the van next week.

I did realise how RTR loco and coach mad I went when I first got back into the hobby. I have about 20 Mk1 coaches in blue and the same in maroon, as well as a loco fleet for both steam and blue diesel. Plus Thompsons, and suburbans, and GUVs and wagons and …….

Initially I was going to model BR blue from the 70s when I was a spotter, then I bought a Bachmann 9F as I couldn’t resist it, and like Marijuana being a ‘gateway drug’ to harder things, that lead over a little time to me changing my principle date of modelling to around 1962. More steam locos, green diesels and more coaches. Frankly a heroin habit might have been cheaper and less addictive!

Anyway, the 70s blue diesels and 60s black and green steam engines spread to 50’s steam too, a LNER P2 as a present from my partner and also a couple of 80s locos, as you can see on top (well 1979, but the Class 58 diesel is definitely 80s).

Move2020a.jpg

At least getting into building my own stock stopped the RTR addiction (Dapol Class 21 and if Kernow do another run of the D600 Warships might still draw me back). Without a place to run them, building buildings and the Transpennine Class 124 DMU will take over for the foreseeable future.

Anyway, next the layout to fold down and then the shed to be taken to bits. Fun week ahead.

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• 2 months later...

Well, I have been in the new place for about 2 months, still unpacking, lots of boxes, many with train stuff still in the garage, and some will stay there as space here is much more limited.

The shed was finally taken down, here is the space with just a few flag stones to lift and fire burning off junk at old place.

Shed16.jpg

It is now stored under a tarpaulin to keep it dry, and will stay that way until we move to somewhere with a good garden again.

Shed17.jpg

Shed18.jpg

My work bench is set up again, and I have started a new project, as I want to just make something without having to spend ages finding all the bits from boxes.

Class23_001.jpg

I have made a tentative start on the London Road models L&Y Class 23 saddle tank.

Here is the start of the chassis.

Class23_002.jpg

Unfortunately the wheels I have are half insulated and half not, but I spoke with Markits earlier, who are just lovely, and also quite mad, and am sorting out a full set of insulated wheels as from research that is much safer for DCC.

I have also started to make up the brass tank, instead of the resin one, against the advice of London Road models at their stand at the 2019 York show.
Class23_003.jpg

I thought that the parts would not be used if it didn’t work, but they have such nice detail, so I wanted to go for it, and so far it looks pretty good I think.

Good to start making things again.

In other news, back at uni teaching, but only for a couple more weeks before we go on-line. The new house is much warmer at this time of year than the old one. I have just started my PHD studies, which I have managed to base around trains, it will be about mass transport (train, ships, aircraft) and probably focus on World War 2 and how it is represented in film.

I am also trying to dig out some of the things like the resin casting stuff as I promised to do some for others on RMweb, and to also find the boxes buried in the garage with my other trains stuff in them.

Hope to have some more regular posts soon.

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Good to see you back modeling Jamie. You seem to have made a good start on the chassis. I would have gone with Gibson wheels myself mate, but then I'm not a great fan of Romford/Markits wheels. It's only a personal preference you understand and they sort out the quartering easily, I just find them a bit too chunky and I don't like the crankpin arrangement is all. I've seen them used to good effect though and quartering Gibsons can be a bit of a faff if you don't have a quartering jig.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Good to see you back modeling Jamie. You seem to have made a good start on the chassis. I would have gone with Gibson wheels myself mate, but then I'm not a great fan of Romford/Markits wheels. It's only a personal preference you understand and they sort out the quartering easily, I just find them a bit too chunky and I don't like the crankpin arrangement is all. I've seen them used to good effect though and quartering Gibsons can be a bit of a faff if you don't have a quartering jig.

Regards Lez. 

Les

A quick tip on quartering Gibson wheels.. if the chassis has etched springs o n it, set one wheel up to have a spoke lined up with the middle of the spring.. the big etched lump in the middle makes it easy to do.. then set the other wheel to be in the right quartering position by using the same alignment process.. works for me..

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a jig that works with the wheels both in and out of the chassis and I use my drill press to get the wheels on the axle square first time around. Once you have them on square you can take them on and off the axle as much as you like but you need to use loctite for the final fit as the more you move them the loser they get. 

Regards Lez.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A bit frustrated at the moment.

I have been wating for three new isolated wheels from Markits for a couple of weeks now, I rang up on Monday and checked on the order and they seemed to be sorting it out, but as yet the wheels have not arrived.

As I was waiting for the wheels I made a start on the body of the loco and got to the point where I needed a fine drill bit to make the ventilation holes in the cab. I may have broken most of the last set of mini drills I got, and can’t find all of them from the move either so I tried to buy a new set.

I rang a local model rail shop but they had sold out. I then rang Hobbycraft, where I had seen them before. They checked their stock and said they had two sets I the local shop, so I drove over. No mini drills bits.

The following day I rang Eileen’s Emporium and paid £16 for the drill bits, £10 for the bits and £6 for first class post. Three days later nothing in the post, so I am unable to progress.

I am, or was enjoying the build. It is a harder model to make than the Comet kit I did, the bits fit together, but there are not many locating points, and some parts are slightly over or undersize so a bit of fettling is required. I may have to unsolder and resolder the very back, as it looks too close to one side to me as well.

I know that it is a learning process and much is required of the model maker, and I do find it far more enjoyable than getting a ready made loco out of a box.

Class23_004.jpg

I am sure it will progress OK, and I know that model rail suppliers are being inundated at the moment as it is something people can do safely at home, it is just a bit frustrating now that I am working from home and have the opportunity to do this, that I am just waiting for the post.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Drill bits arrived, email from Markits to say the wheels have been posted, so getting on with things again.

I have posted the following on Tony Wright’s thread to ask for advice as well.

I am wanting to confirm my driving the rear wheels is correct?

The cab footplate will need opening out to allow the (recommended) gearbox to fit, but it looks like that is the best place for it. I presume that I should allow a bit of play as well for the wheels rather than a snug fit?

Some photos to show the progress and how bit fit together.

Class23_007.jpg

Class23_005.jpg

Class23_006.jpg

I know that I should build the chassis completely first but I have been wating for some replacement wheels from Markits so that I can fully isolate the body to allow DCC to be used. They are on their way, just the Christmas post to navigate, so I have started the body.

I would also like to ask if people would advise cutting off the second drive shaft, or to get a flywheel weight as it is an 0-6-0 so might needs the extra push to get over small losses of power at points. There will be a DCC chip to go into the boiler as well, but it looks like there is plenty of space.

I am really enjoying this build, not such an easy assembly as the Comet kit I built first but that needs some work to get it running. I think building this I may have learned what the problem is, if not perhaps a visit to Tony or old friends at LMRS when things get back normal may be called for (if that is not a problem).

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Jamie

it looks good. If your are fitting a dcc chip add a stay alive. A flywheel will only complicate matters.

Driving on the rear axle is no problem - In reality get the motor and gearbox somewhere it fits in the bodywork without too much showing.

Stay safe!

Baz

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that Baz.

A stay alive sounds like a better solution.

Hope everyone at LMRS is well and doing lots of modelling. I know I have said I'll pop over for about 5 years now, but lockdown puts things in perspective and when this is all over I will really make an effort to do so.

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jamie

we held a "virtual" AGM and most members attended last week. All seemed OK. As Ian  Lofthouse said "warmest AGM I have ever attended". Newsletters are now every other week and we are going to start some "Zoom" modelling meetings in the New Year. Lots of progress being made by a lot of the membership across all scales and gauges!

Stay well!

Baz

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Hi Jamie

we held a "virtual" AGM and most members attended last week. All seemed OK. As Ian  Lofthouse said "warmest AGM I have ever attended". Newsletters are now every other week and we are going to start some "Zoom" modelling meetings in the New Year. Lots of progress being made by a lot of the membership across all scales and gauges!

Stay well!

Baz

Please say 'Happy Christmas' to everyone at the next meeting.

Really pleased to hear Leeds MRS are on-line and going strong, and that lots of modelling is happening, I know how inspiring seeing the work there was to me.

Jamie

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jamiel said:

Please say 'Happy Christmas' to everyone at the next meeting.

Really pleased to hear Leeds MRS are on-line and going strong, and that lots of modelling is happening, I know how inspiring seeing the work there was to me.

Jamie

Jamie, you should try to join in the virtual Christmas drinks - Baz can send you details. I might do so myself even though it will be breakfast time here...

• Like 1

Sou

39 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Jamie, you should try to join in the virtual Christmas drinks - Baz can send you details. I might do so myself even though it will be breakfast time here...

Sounds great, I would love to.