Ellerby - 4mm/OO gauge - All photos working, hotlinked.

Jamiel

I've enjoyed catching up with your progress Jamie - your buildings are superb!

The DMU looks excellent too, I love the cab detail, it makes a real difference. Such as shame about the last minute hiccup though! I agree that you should have a little break, then go back and sand/repair the affected areas, it'll be a lovely model so well worth the effort.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1

I also meant to say, to stop the light bleed around the LED in the cab, I'd suggest painting the insides of all the areas where you don't want the light with a few coats of matt black, filling/sealing any gaps that might let the light through before hand.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Chris.

I have done the sanding and put on a first coat of dull green, just with a brush. It is already looking better. I have tested the light blocking and it is pretty good. I have made the top above the LED black, but left the back white as I want the one LED to reflect to the side lights as well. It isn't bad, I'll get a photo soon.

Adding some better LEDs to the station building, and then back to that for a bit. A much better day of work today. Thanks for the support.

Jamie

• Like 1

Repainted and re-lined, but not yet varnished and lightly weathered, both of which will be initially done with the airbrush, no short cuts this time. A little re touching around the front windows too with the gel pen.

Class129_69.jpg

Class129_70.jpg

Not 100% perfect, or perhaps even 90%, but from a normal viewing distance it looks so much better. I think I will leave the numbers and roundels. I can always come back to them if they don't look good enough when it is finally running on teh layout.

I will try and get some images of the lights, a friend is coming over for some running this afternoon, so maybe then.

A bit of re-wiring has been done of the main station building, and I am back to working on that, which is fun. Hopefully the station front and neighbouring building will be joined and the pavement done this weekend.

Those two Comet kits are still waiting too. I would love to make a start on those soon. I will do the LMS Inspection saloon (carriage) first, as I don't want to dive straight in to building a loco with my first fully brass and white metal kit.

Feeling good about modelling again after my little hiccup in the week.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not updating much the last couple of weeks.

I have gone back to working on the main station building.

I put in some of the printed curtains, but I felt they were too near the edge of the glazing and also too bright in most cases.  I added in some window ledges and edges made from Evergreen strip. painted cream (50/50 mix of Phoenix LMS cream and Humbrol white).

StnMain161.jpg

Darker curtains being added (these might be the first too bright ones). Some have a piece of black set back, and in one corner on this floor I have isolated one room with tracing paper set back so the two corner windows are illuminated.
StnMain162.jpg

StnMain163.jpg

The first floor once the LEDs are in place and the windows and back masks. I also replaced the Maplin LEDs I had used in a couple of rooms with the Digitrains ones, much brighter.

StnMain164.jpg

Sorry about the quality of this, but a long and shaky exposure to show the LEDs when switched on from above.

StnMain165.jpg

The back of the station building is tucked into an almost 45degree angle to the engine shed because of the curve on the layout at that point. This means a lot of the prototype buildings have been sacrificed, and the gentlemen's toilet has had one corner cut out. I was going to make a few comments about the build of this reflecting the solidity of the such brick buildings.....

StnMain166.jpg

A bit of a jump now. When I had made most of the gentleman's toilet I realised that it must have had a roof light, I can't imagine that it would just be lit by artificial lights. especially if the station was built in Victorian times. I don't have any shots of this building to show the roof, but I feel it must have had a 'lantern' ceiling/roof light'. My first attempt was too big and lacked detail, so I made one with a hipped roof shape to match the style of the rest of the building. I still need to add the stone edges to the flat roof, but want to do some of the painting first.

StnMain167.jpg

I have also been working on the stairs down to the platform. Most is fairly obvious, but I have used some hand rail holders (Nairnshire model supplies) and some 0.45mm wires to make a hand rail, which I feel adds some nice detail to the stairs. I think I used medium length ones, but in future would go for short holders.

StnMain168.jpg

You can see the darker curtains in the first floor on this shot, it has the darks lifted a little in Photoshop to show details, so they fit better than this shows. A couple of the back drain pipes have also been added to the main building.

StnMain169.jpg

StnMain170.jpg

I will try and not leave the next update so long.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 5

A little more work on the station.

First coats of paint on the gentleman's toilet, the lantern roof and some of the steps.

StnMain171.jpg

Above, and in this photo you can see the other brass handrail has been added. A little tricky as I had to put in the posts first, drill through for the holders and then push the rail in from the inside.

StnMain172.jpg

I have made the outer panels to push in for the moment so that they can be pre-painted on the inside before fitting. First coat of Humbrol Matt 73 wine red.

StnMain173.jpg

Not finished painting yet, but here is a passenger to fit on the landing of the stairs. Dapol/Airfix figure with the hole drilled in one leg and a wire put in for support.

StnMain174.jpg

Here are the panels pushed into place. They are made from wood panels plasticard, a sheet of clear plastic to cover the whole of the space, and then strips of Evergreen plastic strip to make the window frames, which will need carefully painting cream.

StnMain175.jpg

I wanted the frame/cover for the steps to look like a later addition, so it overlaps the waiting room window and is quite close to the gutters of that building, but that makes it have a more authentic feel to me.

Hope to make more progress with this tomorrow (well today as it in 0.45 now).

Jamie

• Like 8

Continuing work on the covered steps from the entrance and footbridge.

LEDs put in using their wires as supports and mostly joining them straight to each other, some little bit of brass wire used when they are just too far apart. Plastic pill cells used as lamp shades. I painted the back of the LEDs black as well after this photo was taken.

StnMain176.jpg

A longish exposure shot with them switched on, sorry for the motion blur.

StnMain177.jpg

The roof has been added. I cut pieces of card (cornflake packet) to size as a guide first. The entrance has been detailed up. The brackets are Langley ones, cut down and a little plasticard added at the bottom.

StnMain178.jpg

Another view of the detailing on the entrance, and a splodge of red paint.

StnMain179.jpg

The splodge was created (by accident) with this. I had missed painting some of the back/inside of the entrance, so I folded and taped a cotton bud into a reverse painting brush. Not that easy to control, but it did the job, and I can easily reach to re-touch the splodge.

StnMain180.jpg

A couple of views, one LED lit, and one from out side of a view down the stairs. I really like this view as it reminds me of various stations a I have gone down to the platform, and if it does that, I hope it means I am on the right track with the modelling. There should be a window where the camera is in when the footbridge has been done so I hope this view isn't lost when it is finished.

StnMain182.jpg

StnMain183.jpg

A few shots of the covered steps from different angles and lighting directions.

I painted one little section of the roof to make sure that it wouldn't let light through and show the brush marks on the interior cream painting on the underside of the roof, which was very apparent before I did this. It does solve the problem.

StnMain181.jpg

At the top right you can just see the wire for the LEDs poking out before it goes under the roof of the waiting room behind.

StnMain184.jpg

StnMain185.jpg

StnMain186.jpg

Here is a view at the back of the protruding part of the steps, I have detailed it too much as it will not be seen except a sliver at the top, but it was good to see how the wire for the LEDs could be made to look like detail if I have exposed wires elsewhere.

StnMain187.jpg

Here the partially painted toilet building is in place showing how little of the above will be seen.

StnMain188.jpg

This work has been fiddly, but I am pleased how it is going. Painting and more detailing next. I need to build the join from the steps to the main footbridge at the top. The footbridge part will be built separately and will slot in to allow the building to be moved without it.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 7

More on the footbridge/stairs.

An Evergreen strip frame, and a LED for a stair top light.

StnMain189.jpg

After the experiment with using the brass wire and bit of plasticard/strip for the wiring to the lights at the back on the stir bottom, hidden by the toilets, I decided to use the wiring as a detail feature. Here is the LED with brass wire soldered on, and Evergreen strip blocks cut and drilled through to hold it.

I have also made the window panel as a push in piece as it is much easier to paint before gluing in place.

StnMain190.jpg

Seen later with more parts in place.

StnMain198.jpg

StnMain199.jpg

StnMain200.jpg

The end panel which has a small door for access onto the ledge at the side of the station. Unintentionally this has higher set windows, but when in position it looks OK. I want the cover on the footbridge and stairs to look like something add later, and not quite perfect in how it fits. It could even be a replacement for bomb damage in the war being set in the 50s to 70s.

One thing I have been doing is using an old cornflakes box to make templates to check the fit of a lot of the parts for the footbridge, side panels and especially the roof.

StnMain191.jpg

Churchward etched doors primed ready to be painted and added.

StnMain201.jpg

The panel pushed into place. I am going to leave this as just clipped in so that I can get to see the detail inside if I want to remove it (I really like the view down the stair shown above).

StnMain192.jpg

A few views of the stairs with some paint, Humbrol Matt 73 (wine) for the reds and a 50/50 mixture of White (Humbrol Matt 34?) and Phoenix Precision Midland Buildings Cream. Just a light grey for primer on the roof so far.

StnMain193.jpg

StnMain194.jpg

StnMain195.jpg

StnMain195.jpg

StnMain197.jpg

The passenger on the steps (again).

StnMain196.jpg

The toilet needs more painting and the stone roof edging doing, but is put in to give a feel for the layout of the buildings.

Not quite sure if putting signs down to the platforms in the stirs will clutter things, plus I don't have a sign that fits exactly what I want, 'Platforms 1,2 & 3' and 'Platforms 5 & 6'. I will see, these are the ones I have.

StnMain202.jpg

A very enjoyable weekend's modelling, particularly as I had 'Test Match Special' on in the background with 'Blowers' swan song summer, and Joe Root scoring well and making a great start as England Captain. A little time cycling with the family as well too.

Jamie.

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the comments and encouragement, it is greatly appreciated.

A few more photos of this last week's work.

A 'Way Out' sign put at the top of the stairs, not beautifully done, as I added after doing the roof, so hard to get to, but it is unlikely to visible from this angle.

StnMain203.jpg

The missing wall under the bridge, with a small window being added.

StnMain204.jpg

The stairs pretty much done bar paintign the roof, a little weathering added to the woodwork, very subtle. The base for the bridge is starting to eb added as well on the right, this will all bone block to add to the layout with the shop bolted on the far side and a pavement added in front. The road and bridge will be another block and will hide the baseboard join below it (I hope).

I drew around one of the Dapol/Airfix figures to get a sense of height and eye-lines for the timetables and things to go on the wall.

StnMain205.jpg

Above you can see a board for printed timetables to be added, and here is a station sign made from Slaters 3mm letters for the side of the stairs. I'll paint it before adding it.

StnMain206.jpg

Waste pipe (and stink pipe) work progressing this afternoon. Also a gate added in the alley. I need to finish this before bolting on the newsagents shop next door.

StnMain207.jpg

Back gutter downpipe on the right.

StnMain208.jpg

One thing I am not sure about is where I can put the station name on the front, or even if I will do that or add it on an adjacent wall - suggestions?

Pavement base sitting roughly in position.

StnMain209.jpg

Back courtyard and gentlemen's toilets progressing. The grate is another from the Wizard models set (it would all look better without camera shake I am sure).

StnMain210.jpg

Railings, more pipes and gutters and general back yard junk to add.

A week off work so I hope to make some progress this week, but have visitors staying so I will see!

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 4

More pipe work. The joining pieces are made from off-cuts from plastic sprue, which often has some great shapes in it if you hunt around.

StnMain211.jpg

I hadn't got the downpipe from the stairs building straight, and it was annoying me, so it prised it off and re-set it so it was vertical. I had to fill the small holes, but again it all adds to the building looking like it has lasted and had alterations made to it over the years.

StnMain212.jpg

Initially I wasn't sure about the pair of drain pipes either side of the portico on the prototype building, I thought they spoiled the look of the front, but I felt missing them would not look right. I am glad I stuck to this detail being accurate as it really makes the front look a lot nicer in my opinion. As it is the front I used the last of the moulded drain fittings for the join (Slaters I think)

StnMain213.jpg

Still not sure about station signage for the front. I will build the wall and pavement next to the station and then see what fits. There is also going to be a phone box, so I might have to move that to let the sign fit well. I think it is a case building the major structures and then seeing how the details fit into that, which is what would happen in real life anyway.

More soon, as I am on leave this week and hope to make good progress on the building and maybe start a brass coach too.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 3

Station building update. It is taking ages to get all the details done, so I haven't been able to start on one of my etched kits, but still it is all progressing well.

Langley models etched phone box, nice little kit.

StnMain215.jpg

StnMain214.jpg

The near bridge parapet has been modelled. Here the pavement has been started. The newsagent's shop has been attached, literally bolted on. It will hang off the edge of the main baseboard, but will receive more support in the long run.

StnMain216.jpg

StnMain220.jpg

Painting the stone paving at the back. Sorry for the quality of the photo.

StnMain219.jpg

Board and buckets for the side of the stairs.

StnMain221.jpg

StnMain222.jpg

Some views of the overall progress.

StnMain223.jpg

StnMain218.jpg

StnMain225.jpg

StnMain226.jpg

Ready for some painting. I will then have to add the hand rails next to the steps and by the drops. A few bits might be left until the building is in situ, or has the engine sheds modelled which will back up to the station building, but it is getting close to being finished.

Jamie

• Like 11

How did you get on with the telephone box kit from Langley? Are you going to paint it before you add glazing. Have you also thought of lighting it?

I ask all these questions because I will be fitting a box to the station shops scene in Barkham Green.

Could we have some more details on the newsagents shop please as well

Thanks Vulcanbomber and DLT.

The newsagent is built around a facade from a Kibri kit, much of which was detailed from post 406:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53110-ellerby-back-to-the-station-building-others-buildings-rolling-stock-index/page-17&do=findComment&comment=2642745

I am going to see if I can fit a small LED in the top of the phone box, might be tricky, but worth a try, just a pale Maplin one. I have undercoated it and will spray it with the airbrush before adding glazing. I found ti quite easy, but did need to use my new soldering iron as my 15Watt Antex just was heatsunk by the etch. You do need to follow the instructions and score the etch to bend it, although I just held it in long nosed pliers rather building a jig.

Hope that helps, but please feel free to ask any further questions.

I am really enjoying this build, but am also dying to get on with some brass kits which is the next stage of my modelling skills to learn, especially the Comet Caprotti Black 5. I do think building the Comet coach kit first is important though to make sure I learn a bit on a less demanding build.

Jamie

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates, I have been modelling but not taking many photos, for a reason as you will see lower down. A bit tired today after being up very late watching some very bright meteors in last night's shower.

Thanks for thee suggestion Vulcanbomber about using the phone box etch as one of the power sources, but I had already undercoated it, and was happy yo go with wires, but it is a very good suggestion.

StnMain227.jpg

StnMain228.jpg

Lots of small detailing and layers of paint, but nothing particularly different from what I have posted about before. It is getting pretty near to being finished, but I have had to wait for layers of paint to dry. I feel it is near to completion and want to get o posting finished images. The street lights are from Aspire, I am not sure how accurate they are but they fit for what I want to get from the street. Some of the metal railings have been added as well, with Evergreen strip drilled through to make anchor points.

A few different photos taken near the sunshine, but that bench is pretty solid, so I felt safe with it on there.

StnMain229.jpg

StnMain230.jpg

StnMain231.jpg

StnMain232.jpg

StnMain233.jpg

StnMain234.jpg

StnMain235.jpg

StnMain236.jpg

StnMain237.jpg

StnMain238.jpg

While things were drying I started a project that I have been itching to get on with, the Comet LMS Inspection Saloon kit I bought five years ago, just before Bachmann/Farish announced their versions. I bought a Bachmann blue one, and am now making this one up a BR maroon.

This is my first full brass kit, so it is a learning process, and a precursor to starting on the Caprotti Black 5. I have committed some crimes against soldering, mostly on the underside where they can not be seen. I have really enjoyed this build, but I didn't want to take in progress photos as frankly anyone reading wishing to lean about brass kit making would be far better off reading Tony Wright's threads, or Coachman's, or the many others on the forum. Inspiration is owed to them as well as Alan, Nick, BarryO and Mike Edge at the Leeds Model Railway Society, as well as thanks for suggestions and advice on technique.

My new soldering iron has had a good run out this week, many thanks to BarryO for the recommendation. Sadly my cheap blow torch doesn't seem to work, so the heating of the brass has to be done with the iron, which has lead to a little excess solder in order to make a heat transfer work.

I also started by not reading the instructions carefully enough and promptly folder and then soldered the strengthening pieces on the frame the wrong way. It was easily unsoldered, but not quite as flat as it should be once put the right way. Anyway, here are some pictures of the current state of the coach.

Saloon01.jpg

Saloon02.jpg

Saloon03.jpg

Saloon04.jpg

Saloon05.jpg

Saloon06.jpg

Lots still t do on both models, but having a lot of fun with both of them.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 7

Thank you Pete.

I have really enjoyed seeing your progress with Halifax Powell Street. I love grimy urban layouts, and both admire the quality of modelling and the speed at which you have built it.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94960-west-riding-terminus-halifax-powell-street/ - for anyone who doesn't know it.

It is very en-heartening to receive feedback and encouragement from those who's work I admire. I have had a good day with your comment and also a nice but of encouragement from the great Tony Wright.

Jamie

Thanks Freebs,and I am very glad to have introduced you to Halifax Powell Street.

I must make a post soon with links to some of the threads, layouts and websites that have inspired me over the few years since I got back into railway modelling.

Here are a few more images of the Saloon as the soldering is nearly completed above the solebar. There are still some small parts to make from plastic, and also door hinges which I will glue on rather than solder. The body is just perched on and another pass with the fine files and some Wet & Dry will be needed to tidy some of my soldering. The photos are a little critical of the work, it looks much better when viewed from a completely different room!

In addition to the Comet kit there are a few parts from RT Models for couplings, A1 packs of grill etches, Niarnshire Model Supplies for hand rail holders,  Extreme Etchings and Craftsman for pipes and lamp irons, and I will use the Extreme Etchings door hinges as I really liked the the results I got with them on a DMU conversion I did a few months ago.

Saloon07.jpg

Saloon08.jpg

Saloon09.jpg

Saloon10.jpg

Despite having done a few conversion kits, a full brass and white metal model has quite different, as Tony Wright and Tom (Grob1234) said in another thread it feels to model fully in this medium. Very rewarding, at times trying, especially when you melt off something you soldered earlier by not being careful soldering nearby, but the sense of ownership of model is very strong.

Over the couple of weekends building this I have found my ability to solder has improved a lot, and hopefully will continue.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 2

Jamie,

I like the inspection saloon - coaches are fun and make a train so much more interesting than simply sticking to what ever the rtr manufacturer's offer as they simply can't cover the variety that existed.

Can I suggest that you put a bit of emery cloth or wet & dry on the end of the aluminium roof as the saw marks will show up somewhat even under the paint.

I had not found your thread before; there is lots to look at and I will have a good old peruse.............

• Like 1

Thank you Mark.

It is easy to miss odd things that only show up when the undercoat goes on. I will take more care on the roof ends.

They still need a little work as one end is sticking out almost a millimeter, which in most places doesn't sound a lot, but on this forum does, that would be 3 inches on the prototype.

I hope you enjoy having a look through the thread.

All the best.

Jamie