Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How do you know if you're made it as a railway modeller?

• RMweb Premium

Actors have the Oscars; Musicians have the Brits & Grammy; What do railway modellers have?

How do you know when you've made it as a railway modeller?

Personally I see it as being responsible for the main picture on the cover or Railway Modeller (or perhaps being the inspiration for a Railway of the Month).

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• Like 1

Making it as a modeller will be when others seek your advice and welcome your input without you having to shove it down their throat.

Sounds cynical but there are plenty of people out there (in all walks of life not just modellers) who are self appointed experts and will give their opinion very freely especially when it is not wanted.

Going back to your personal perspective, I agree, having a layout in a magazine is a good pointer, but I think to be really respected down that route you would need to appear in something like Model Railway Journal - there have been some epic models in there. It's not how big something is, it's how good it looks.

• Like 15

Guest 40-something

I reckon I knew I'd made it as soon as I managed to finish a detailed, resprayed and weathered loco. There are plenty of outstanding modellers whose stuff you'll never see in a magazine.

Not taking anything away from those who send their stuff in (or are approached by the magazines themselves), but I dont believe that being published is a sign of 'making it' as a modeller. There are many many many fine examples of modelling in the mags, but there are a fair amount of published images that, in my opinion, should never have seen the light of day, but magazines can only publish the material they are sent or seek.

• Like 13

I'm one of those weird persons that when I become proficient at something (usually by receiving plaudits) I often lose total interest in it. I did that on guitar and didn't pick it up for several years, Painting, Cricket (much to my now chagrin) and Motor racing.

I'm still interested (continuously) in Model making - which says a lot.......

I did pick up guitar again thank goodness and when my Dad died, painting.

Best, Pete.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I'm still interested (continuously) in Model making - which says a lot........

;)

But is making it counted in plaudits? Certainly in the US it seems to be with master modeller competitions etc.

However while there are a lot of published modellers and a few celebrities, including self appointed ones who could do with a one way trip to the jungle ;) , there are more that I've met, bumped into through friends who've had equal or more influence by their selfless help.

Shows and mags are a great way to share but my most satisfying achievement is enthusing others to realise it's not as complicated as it looks.

My list of inspiring models in magazines is huge and my files contain hundreds of different authors so to me they all 'made it'.

My favourites folder is huge too with threads from 4 forums that I watch and add too regularly. That's just the stuff that appeals to me too and I consider handy for future reference so there's much on here that I'd consider as having 'made it'.

Ultimately it's all about having fun and I think the UK scene is very healthy as it is without creating pedestals that may put people, with less time to develop such skills, off.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think you've "made it" when you produce a model/diorama/layout (whatever) that YOU are proud of. That isn't to say it can't be improved, but at least you are well pleased with the result.

For a more objective answer, "peer referencing" on RMweb may be the answer. If RMwebbers like it, then it's probably very good. I know there are a few members of this Forum whose constructive comments would be worth more to me than an Oscar.

Jeff

• Like 11

I guess it all depends on what is defined by "modelling"

I'd disagree almost straight away with the appearance in one of the railway mags, not decrying some of the stunning models that have appeared there IMO there have also been a fair few not so worthy of the title - hence back to a definition - mine is probably different/not quite the same as others.

Perhaps a measure could be the number of times exhibited (but that would also be unfair on the great permanent layouts unable to exhibit and would be unfairly biased to the club layouts (even if some are less than perfect)

I guess being on the front cover or Railway of the month does mean that your layout has received recognition at least by that magazine and its editing team - you have finally been awarded the "being one of them" and the door has been opened to almost anything else you do.

I'll know I've 'made it' as a modeller when I produced something that I can look at and not see anything that needs improvement. This state of nirvana might never be achieved by me, but I'm happy to keep plugging away at a hobby that gives me immense pleasure whether it be modelling or working on the miniature railway my club operates.

I generally know I've made it by the combinations of burns, blood-stained sticking-plasters and paint on my fingers. ;)

Edit: as opposed bought it of course...

Edited by Jamie
  • Like 18

I'm never likely to "make it", having enough trouble making layouts to start with, but in the only field where I considered myself a competitor - club level distance running - a word of praise from an athlete/coach/official whose opinion I respected meant far more to me than applause from the general public.

• RMweb Gold

Mainly when I make something I am pleased with - and if it is a loco when it works well.

Also when the layouts run well!

David

Edited to add a missing word.

Edited by DaveF

The mag cover idea is not a particularly good measure.

Firstly, the photo chosen for the cover will generally be something bold and bright to stand out on the shelf of Smiths so a welll modelled but realistically drab scene won't necessarily be chosen over a 'twee'/'pretty' vibrantly coloured pic...

Secondly how much of a good photo is the skill of the modeller and how much is the skill of the photographer (or these days the photo-shop editor) in hiding any blemishes...

To answer the original question, it is when others (unsolicited) tell you how they enjoyed watching your trainset, rather than you telling them how wonderful you (think you) are! :diablo_mini:

• Like 2

You've made it as a modeller when you've built everything you've ever wanted to do, to the best quality you could possibly perceive, and have therefore 'completed' the hobby, ready to start a new one... Until then, shall we all keep practicing?

Personally I'm happy to look at any of my collection and think "Yes, I've made alterations to the RTR model and changed it for the better". I think it's for this reason that my pet peeve (at the risk of going on to another topic!) is rakes of RTR stock at exhibitions. In some cases it might not take much doing, but my perception of being a decent modeller - I suppose roughly equivalent to having 'made it' - is to be competent and confident enough to change a model for the better.

• Like 2

For me I think Das' & Jeff's comments combined sum things up. Its a hobby. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobby Just look at the definition. I've "made it" when I look at something I've done and can say it doesn't look half bad and I enjoyed building it. I've got a box full of old Airfix wagons which will never see the light of day on a layout but were just a lot of fun to build.

As an NMRA member I've been asked why I won't submit anything to the contests or work towards the achievment program. The simple answer is I don't want to turn my leisure into something that has to be graded, reviewed, and dissected. If I'm not enjoying it, I'm not doing it, end of.

• Like 6

Personally I see it as being responsible for the main picture on the cover or Railway Modeller (or perhaps being the inspiration for a Railway of the Month).

Oh thank you, but don't expect me to give an Oscar's style acceptance speech. :sungum:

• Like 2

I suppose it all depends on whether your measures of 'success' are ones set by yourself, your peers or just your contemporaries, whoever they may be. It's good to have targets - winning a competition, getting something published or just completing a simple kit - cos that's how we progress, but the targets must be personal, realistic and achievable (and that sounds suspiciously like something from my work's appraisal guidance) :huh:

I think this is also rather close to the recent 'what's your favourite feedback' thread, in which I said that the sort I liked best was something that indicated that the onlooker did genuinely 'get' what I was trying to achieve or portray.

• Like 1