westerns on 'freightliners'

• RMweb Gold

They definitely got on the 'Clayliner' at times according to one of my informants.

Errr..... I thought "Clayliner" was the name given to the motley vacuum braked sheeted open wagons which ran to Stoke etc (according to John Vaughan's "Illustrated History" anyway). :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Errr..... I thought "Clayliner" was the name given to the motley vacuum braked sheeted open wagons which ran to Stoke etc (according to John Vaughan's "Illustrated History" anyway). :scratchhead:

According to my informant - who on one occasion drove a 1000 on it the train was air-braked (the only time he drove an air-brake 1000). But I suspect it all depends what you call 'the Clayliner'

According to my informant - who on one occasion drove a 1000 on it the train was air-braked (the only time he drove an air-brake 1000). But I suspect it all depends what you call 'the Clayliner'

Sounds as though that could have been the tanks that worked to Sittingbourne from Cornwall on behalf of Bowaters. They did work the mixed Freightliner/passenger turn to Fishguard in the early 1970s- they possibly also worked the Par/Plymouth - Park Royal Freightliner during its brief existence.

• RMweb Gold

Back to JV's book again, the Bowaters slurry train was dubbed the "Clayfreighter" and there is a picture of D1051 "Western Ambassador" on that train, so air braked yes but not a freightliner...

Not disputing that they air braked examples could run freightliners obviously!

I believe one of the pics mentioned would be 1009 western invader through sonning cutting heading to cardiff on a freightliner.I have also seen a picture somewhere of a hymek hauling freightliner flats.

richard.

The Hymek would have been hauling them as unfitted stock, as the 'Meks weren't fitted with train air-brakes.

Re Westerns on MGR trains; The only picture I have seen is in Jeffrey Grayer's book 'Sabotaged & Defeated Revisited' (Noodle Books 2010), which shows the last coal train from Writhlington. Anyone know where the coal was going to, and how far the Western would have worked the train; This wouldn't have been to a power station of course as they weren't fitted with slow speed control.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to be slow in replying to this as i've only just seen the subject! I lived in Cardiff as a teenager in the 70's and around 75/6/7 would call into Canton footbridge and Pengam bridge (the one across the main line at the entrance to the Freightliner depot) most nights, although in summer we used to play football across the Rumney river and just run like hell if anything interesting came into view!

in these days there was a daily including Sunday working from Danygraig (Swansea) to Stratford 4E70 and return 4V66. It used to pass Canton around 5pm ish go into Pengam and attach a few more sets and depart Pengam around 7pm. I seem to remember it came up with 2 sets ie 10 wagons and would leave Cardiff with 4/5 sets 20-25 wagons, though this is a bit hazy ! it used to take about 90 min to attatch the Cardiff sets as the train loco did all the work, no shunter was ever based at the depot, at least not in my time., so loco off, into depot reverse out onto the headshunt alongside the freight line into the docks, reverse sets onto the end of the train, run round, loco on the front again, brake test, wait for a gap to get on the main and let rip, no hanging about !! The train loco worked throughout and returned in the early hours when everything happened in reverse before departing Swansea bound. The working was booked WR 47 or 52, never saw a Peak on it, they worked the Newcastle liner out at 16-00. Westerns worked the train right up to very near the end of their lives, (i have a very clear memory of watching 1013 on the Sunday train shunting at Pengam and departing, very close to the end).

i would say they worked about 50% of the trains, i do know that the local photographers took shots, including the 2 Western obsessives that lived in Cardiff, but i've never seen any of the photo's, maybe they are in a loft somewhere, lets hope they surface someday !! Other people where too busy chasing Westerns in the west country to try and get something a bit different, i wonder what they think now ??

Picking at random in an old note book the week of Monday August 16- Friday-20th 1976 produced : Mon, 1033 past canton up at 17-21, Tu, 1033 past canton at 17-33, Wed, 47033 past canton at 17-00, Thur 1009 past canton at 17-25, Friday 1009 past canton at 17-50. The same loco 2 nights running was common. The following week 1058 worked Wed/Th 25th and 26th.

We had 3 other liners, the Newcastle out at 16-00 usually a peak, and the Crewe/ Edinburgh ? out at 21-30ish usually a Crewe/Bescot 47. We did have a third which i think finished in 75 which came up non stop from Swansea and did not stop at Pengam and i think was for Lawley st, this could produce a western now and then, i'm afraid my memories of this train are dim, it did'nt stop and it did'nt last is my excuse ! someone with access to a WTT for the time can fill in the gaps !

hope this is of some use to someone, yes they did work Freightliners, and on a daily basis, its just nobody took pics !

john

As a secondman at Didcot in 1974 we worked the Danygraig liner to Stratford with the Western. My recollection of the job was that the return working used to go via Kensington. When we arrived another loco, class 52, would come off Old Oak and after we had changed over, we would depart for Didcot therby getting a fresh loco and turning the train.

As a secondman at Didcot in 1974 we worked the Danygraig liner to Stratford with the Western. My recollection of the job was that the return working used to go via Kensington. When we arrived another loco, class 52, would come off Old Oak and after we had changed over, we would depart for Didcot therby getting a fresh loco and turning the train.

That s interesting as its slightly before my time as a serious spotter, how long did the change over of locos last ?, i can see the benefit of a change so as to get a fully fuelled loco to get to Swansea, and i guess kenny o was as good as anywhere to change over. Would not have thought that turning the train would have any benefit nor caused a problem ? This must have changed sometime after 74 though as the same loco would work the turn 2 days running therefore not being dropped off at Kenny O or have i missed something ? I have memories of seeing the return train once or twice with the same loco as left the night before, might the working been amended to send the loco into Stratford to refuel ? now a photo of that would be good but as it would have been around midnight unlikely !!

Any more memories of this very under reported working out there ? i would love to hear from someone who saw it in the East End.

• RMweb Gold

Turning Freightliners was mainly done to get containers the right way round for the delivery trip by lorry - turning a whole train was sometimes a lot more conveneient that turning the containers if they were the 'wrong' way round for the way a particular terminal was set up to work. (not very common but it happened - also an important point with the working of some of the binliner rubbish trains).

• RMweb Gold

Remember the Danygraig-Stratford freight liners well as they passed through Bristol around 8-830pm. They were double-headed to Stoke Gifford (normally a 37 assisting) and I'm guessing that the lead loco was attached at STJ to assist the climb up both Aust and Patchway banks. I've mentioned before seeing a very rough looking D1065 on this working, summer 1976. Will check my notes with Pathfinders when back in Devon tomorrow to cross reference.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Fair enough - the trains the name applied to obviously varied a bit!

Hi all

Only just come to this

Re Clayliner - take a look at http://paulbartlett....com/brclayliner - a specific wagon type, OWV - and vacuum braked. So think earlier post hit the nail Rich

See 3 of the pics on http://www.miac.org....s52.htm#brd1048 for the real thing

Phil

• 7 months later...

I know it's a long time that this thread was active but I've only jusy spotted it! I had a picture published last year in 'Western Power' of D1030 on the Par to Park Royal freightliner crossing Curry Rival moor in Somerset. The Westerns only worked this train on a handful of occasions as Laira were dependant on a Landore air braked example to be spare. It was normaly a 47 working. As far as I know only one other picture of this train exists with a Weatern on it and that isn't published anywhere. If anyone has any info on dates and haulage of the Par Park Royal train in its short life I would be very interested so that I can complete the log of workings. There are only about five photos in print of the train with 47's on. I'm not sure why it didn't attract more attention. It ran from Par station yard and picked up more flats from Friary yard probably at Tavistock Junction.

• 4 months later...

does anyone out there have any photos or recollections of westerns on freightliner trains?....i have only ever seen one picture( j vaughans 'western diesels in camera)

Yes, my one and only sighting of 'Western' hauled freightliner occurred on Weds. 18 Aug 76 when D1009 Western Invader was noted trundling through Reading at just after 22:00. I believe this was the 20:20 Willesden / Danygraig (4V64). This train worked occasionally with a Western right up until Feb. 77. They were pretty scarce on freightliner trains.  

Yes, my one and only sighting of 'Western' hauled freightliner occurred on Weds. 18 Aug 76 when D1009 Western Invader was noted trundling through Reading at just after 22:00. I believe this was the 20:20 Willesden / Danygraig (4V64). This train worked occasionally with a Western right up until Feb. 77. They were pretty scarce on freightliner trains.  

The following evening it returned to London on 4E70, the 16.13 Danygraig to Stratford and then took 4V66 02.10 Stratford to Danygraig but failed at Dyneover Junction (wherever that is). After reps at LE it worked 4E70 again on the evening of the 20th, back on 4V66 and back LD to LE

The following evening it returned to London on 4E70, the 16.13 Danygraig to Stratford and then took 4V66 02.10 Stratford to Danygraig but failed at Dyneover Junction (wherever that is). After reps at LE it worked 4E70 again on the evening of the 20th, back on 4V66 and back LD to LE

Dynevor Junction is where the line to Swansea Docks leaves the Swansea District Line, on the Swansea side of the River Neath. It's about four miles from the site of Danygraig FLT.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Dyneover?????

Mr Alden SWMBO threatened to send the Welsh Spelling Dragon round to sort out your mis-appropriation of the Welsh language. She refused to take the fact that Swindon can't spell in English as mitigation. :jester:

Heres a map

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/wa-11830-former-swing-bridge-across-river-neath-im/map

Kind regards

Phil

Archived