Photo Call! 2mm Layouts Out and About at Exhibitions

Pixie

• RMweb Gold

Hi all.

I had a very enjoyable day at Warley on the Saturday with Jerry, Kim and John operating Tucking Mill, the latest masterpiece from the Queensqaure workshops. A really lovely little layout and one which needs some thought putting in when shunting in order to avoid getting yourself in a bit of a mess (as I did frequently!)

Anyway, photos!

post-1467-0-77255600-1353796976_thumb.jpg

An overview of the layout

post-1467-0-03200600-1353796971.jpg

post-1467-0-63345600-1353796972.jpg

post-1467-0-18719800-1353796974.jpg

How did that get there?!

post-1467-0-56869300-1353796978.jpg

post-1467-0-91744900-1353796968_thumb.jpg

I'll let Jerry explain this one!

Many thanks to Jerry for letting me have a play again!

Tom.

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just found this picture of Highbury from 2005.

Looks a bit different!

I've got a few like that Tim!

The layout only had a fiddle yard at one end then, its before the siding at the front had been changed to a through line - I think it might have been your suggestion. I suspect the picture was taken at Camrail. Simon used to announce all sorts of progress in the exhibition guide and I would have a frantic few weeks to make sure it was done!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello there two-millers!

Here are a few shots of Tony Simms's 'Brafferton' I took at the St Albans show last weekend. First time I have caught up with it and I was most impressed. The layout exudes a quiet charm and that bucolic feeling of an underused country station from some 50-odd years ago.

As well as the overall superb modelling, I particularly like the use of muted scenic colours, the 'open' feel (not much clutter), and the sensitive modelling and grouping of trees and bushes. The watercolour painted backscene keeps the horizon low and the sky large, which is good. But I'm not sure a backscene suits the convex curve on the inside of a circular layout, as here: possibly better to do without. However, the high-level 54 inch of the baseboards is particularly suited to realistic viewing of 2mm modelling, I think. 

post-14107-0-30044500-1358702537_thumb.jpg

This delightful grouping of the railway buildings, the redundant platform on the left, and the period road vehicle all look very effective in this scene.

post-14107-0-52309500-1358702567_thumb.jpg

Open country, quiet meadows, trees rustling in the breeze with mute railway tracks passing between... I can almost hear the skylarks!

post-14107-0-58804700-1358702592_thumb.jpg

We've seen this type of overbridge scene modelled before, but rarely with such skill and observation.

post-14107-0-25909600-1358702631_thumb.jpg

A few goods wagons in a siding silently await their collection. Time passes in this quiet station yard... (that's Tony in the background)

post-14107-0-57374500-1358702656_thumb.jpg

I can see why Tony selected this station as a subject for a layout: it has most of the attractive elements of the 'traditional' railway. But much as I like diesels, for my money steam locos, such as NER 0-6-0s, would suit this layout better. 

post-14107-0-62737700-1358702699_thumb.jpg

This group of buildings is a sheer delight and sensitively modelled. I like the subtle brick and painted wood colours.

Yep, I am really taken in by this lovely 2mm finescale layout. Well done Tony!

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 15

Thank you for a lovely set of photos Phil; I've not even managed to sort mine out post show!

You're probably right regarding the backscene; at certain angles you get a disappearing sky. I'm not sure I could live without one though; the countryside around Brafferton is, on the whole, just too flat to allow for no backscene. And seeing my moobs is no substitute. :D

The steam trains are coming, but will be in BR rather than NER livery. The D49 is still in disgrace re poor running and needs some more weight over the now sprung pony truck. The J94 performed quite servicably over the St Albans weekend and the N10 (0-6-2T) still awaits a new chip.

Meanwhile the layout itself still needs uncoupling magnets and the point switchbox is proving itself not quite robust enough.

Next show is Ormesby Hall (National Trust property near Middlesborough). Do come along if St Albans was too far south for you...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for a lovely set of photos Phil; I've not even managed to sort mine out post show!

Next show is Ormesby Hall (National Trust property near Middlesborough). Do come along if St Albans was too far south for you...

Agreed, a lovely set of pictures. Was good to see yourself, the layout and indeed Phil at St Albans.

As for being too far south, we regard St Albans as being in the far east!!

Jerry

Not at all Tony, it was a pleasure to see you again and have a chat. And thank you for building such a delightful layout! 

You're probably right regarding the backscene; at certain angles you get a disappearing sky. I'm not sure I could live without one though; the countryside around Brafferton is, on the whole, just too flat to allow for no backscene. And seeing my moobs is no substitute. :D

Yes, agreed: I think I'd rather gaze upon your skillfully painted backscene than your "moobs"  :mosking:

The steam trains are coming, but will be in BR rather than NER livery.

Errrr yes of course, I meant to say BR liveried NER-types, you are quite right. 

Thanks, I'd love to see 'Brafferton' again soon, but Middlesborough is even further away from Cornwall than St Albans! However, I do get to some northern events, particularly if I stay with David Long near Manchester. Anyway, let me know if you'll be exhibiting the layout 'down south' again and I'll try and catch up with you.

Keep up the excellent 2-mil modelling Tony, it's very inspiring to see  :good:

Agreed, a lovely set of pictures. Was good to see yourself, the layout and indeed Phil at St Albans.

As for being too far south, we regard St Albans as being in the far east!!

Jerry

T'was good to see you too, Jerry. I agree, St Albans is certainly a long, long way for us both. But hey, what you luyk boy? Even Waaarminster zeems luyk aalmost up Lunn'on way fur uzz this zide o' Tamar!   :sarcastic:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

does anyone know how John Whitehead's Stockport tiviot dale is progressing? does he show it on the web?

it will be at the Liverpool model railway show on 27th,28th April.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66871-liverpool-april-27th-28th-2013/

it was at the 2011 show and looked superb back then in its unfinished state.

• RMweb Premium

does anyone know how John Whitehead's Stockport tiviot dale is progressing? does he show it on the web?

it will be at the Liverpool model railway show on 27th,28th April.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66871-liverpool-april-27th-28th-2013/

it was at the 2011 show and looked superb back then in its unfinished state.

I don't know if anyone has seen it recently, Michael. If you look back at post 16 on this thread with photos of the North East Area Group bash last year there are some photos of it. It was certainly operational at that time and I would assume that John would have made some more progress by now. It was certainly looking very promising and I shall look forward to seeing it at the show.

David

• Like 2

I don't know if anyone has seen it recently, Michael. If you look back at post 16 on this thread with photos of the North East Area Group bash last year there are some photos of it. It was certainly operational at that time and I would assume that John would have made some more progress by now. It was certainly looking very promising and I shall look forward to seeing it at the show.

David

Me too. I've always liked John's urban/industrial townscape scenes. Very artistic. I look forward to seeing the new layout and catching up with the man himself!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not strictly in exhibition setting but I have been in contact with Andrew Cox who kindly sent me these pictures of his layout Cotstart East  ( credit I believe for the photographs to Geoff Balfour and Mick Simpson ) 

post-1480-0-90533400-1364932405_thumb.jpg

post-1480-0-23803400-1364932425_thumb.jpg

post-1480-0-47952300-1364932446_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• 4 months later...

Just for completeness, Ian Morgan has filmed and edited a very good video of St Ruth at the recent rugfest Expo in Wallingford.

Apologies for those who have already watched this via a link from the VAG!

Best Regards,

Chris.

Edited by MinerChris
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

Hello there two-millers!

Here are a few shots of Tony Simms's 'Brafferton' I took at the St Albans show last weekend. First time I have caught up with it and I was most impressed. The layout exudes a quiet charm and that bucolic feeling of an underused country station from some 50-odd years ago.

As well as the overall superb modelling, I particularly like the use of muted scenic colours, the 'open' feel (not much clutter), and the sensitive modelling and grouping of trees and bushes. The watercolour painted backscene keeps the horizon low and the sky large, which is good. But I'm not sure a backscene suits the convex curve on the inside of a circular layout, as here: possibly better to do without. However, the high-level 54 inch of the baseboards is particularly suited to realistic viewing of 2mm modelling, I think. 

attachicon.gif20130113_162032 b.jpg

This delightful grouping of the railway buildings, the redundant platform on the left, and the period road vehicle all look very effective in this scene.

attachicon.gif20130113_162527 b.jpg

Open country, quiet meadows, trees rustling in the breeze with mute railway tracks passing between... I can almost hear the skylarks!

attachicon.gif20130113_162412 b.jpg

We've seen this type of overbridge scene modelled before, but rarely with such skill and observation.

attachicon.gif20130113_162532 b.jpg

A few goods wagons in a siding silently await their collection. Time passes in this quiet station yard... (that's Tony in the background)

attachicon.gif20130113_162002 b.jpg

I can see why Tony selected this station as a subject for a layout: it has most of the attractive elements of the 'traditional' railway. But much as I like diesels, for my money steam locos, such as NER 0-6-0s, would suit this layout better. 

attachicon.gif20130113_162747 b.jpg

This group of buildings is a sheer delight and sensitively modelled. I like the subtle brick and painted wood colours.

Hello there two-millers!

attachicon.gif20130113_162032 b.jpg

attachicon.gif20130113_162527 b.jpg

attachicon.gif20130113_162412 b.jpg

attachicon.gif20130113_162532 b.jpg

attachicon.gif20130113_162002 b.jpg

attachicon.gif20130113_162747 b.jpg

I've just seen this delightful

• 1 month later...

From my position on a layout behind Fencehouses, I was able to spot a photo opportunity when sunlight came through onto the staging roads.

post-7177-0-35111500-1385409639_thumb.jpg

post-7177-0-34187600-1385409656_thumb.jpg

that colour of rods on the 9F is just so....

• Like 11

• 3 months later...