Photo Call! 2mm Layouts Out and About at Exhibitions

Pixie

• RMweb Gold

Is there a 2mm presence at Ali Pally this year

Yes, we are there with Tucking Mill and The Wharf - John Greenwood is coming up from Cornwall to play trains. The MRC team responsible for Copenhagen Fields are in attendance along with the 2mm roadshow so plenty of 2mm interest.

Jerry

Yes, we are there with Tucking Mill and The Wharf - John Greenwood is coming up from Cornwall to play trains. The MRC team responsible for Copenhagen Fields are in attendance along with the 2mm roadshow so plenty of 2mm interest.

Jerry

Cool, I'm hoping to to get to this one, so will come say hello

• 2 weeks later...

A few shots of Mick Simpson's Wansbeck Road at Model Rail Scotland in Glasgow this weekend ...

post-7032-0-95546300-1456610543_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-93184000-1456610554_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-89420200-1456610551_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-47491900-1456610546_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-88166300-1456610548_thumb.jpg

One of the two train tables ...

post-7032-0-07253900-1456610954_thumb.jpg

... and its cunning adjustable stops so that an empty track can be aligned for a train to arrive, then the adjacent track can be immediately lined up for a train to depart, without having to eyeball the rail alignment. Mick originally had fixed stops but found that different temperture and humidity in exhibitions played havoc with the exact alignment ... so he made the stops adjustable and sets it up for each show. 

post-7032-0-20094000-1456610956_thumb.jpg

Ah'd put that back where you found it if ah were you, bonny lad ...

post-7032-0-90029800-1456611533_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

The 2mm roadshow was also in evidence at Model Rail, manned by the Forth and Clyde area group. SInce they are a modest lot :rolleyes: they declined to appear for the camera, but we also has a special guest star in the shape of Edward Sissling of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Workshop Group, moonlighting from Wansbeck Road:

post-7032-0-56133900-1456648436_thumb.jpg

with his sack-truck style tool caddy, beautifully finished as his projects usually are. This permits an ultra-fast departure to the nearest curry house after a show.

post-7032-0-27460400-1456648439_thumb.jpg

The Forth and Clyde Group are still in the bacon roll era (nae deep-fried Mars bars for us, the plastic granules in them melt) and we make do with rucksacks, briefcases, and old whisky cartons.

post-7032-0-95669500-1456650276_thumb.jpg

Thanks to the Model Rail organisers for inviting us and giving us a comfortable space at a well-run and enjoyable show. (Still on in the SECC until 5pm tonight!) 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Llangerisech had a more "modernised" outing last weekend at Basingstoke with blue diesel stock and items suitable for the late 70's.

While this isn't purist 2mm, it gives us a simple option and a welcome alternative for exhibition managers looking to ring the changes. The stock is also very reliable, so a more relaxed attitude can be adopted by the operators. The main problem is determining which of the class 24/25 variants is being used at any one time!

post-25417-0-42390700-1458168098_thumb.jpg

The layout set up with David tinkering in the fiddle yard

post-25417-0-31888400-1458168106_thumb.jpg

Class 128 parcels railcar being used in lieu of a loco to haul two Stephen Harris Dogfish wagons

post-25417-0-98597600-1458168113_thumb.jpg

Quite a few RailNScale 3D printed cars in the car park (most still awaiting glasing) plus one of Richard Benn's Choppers.

post-25417-0-66887100-1458168121_thumb.jpg

The layout being admired. Due to the orientation, many visitors got this end view of the layout first which was quite interesting as the finescale track is much more striking than side on.

Overall we had a great weekend. Now it's all back home, it's back to preparing 1930's stock for Chatham in June.

Edited by Llangerisech
  • Like 15

• 1 month later...

A few snaps from York at Easter.

2ekkped.jpg

Master Square has control of Brafferton under the beady eye of Edward Sissling.

rrqyqf.jpg

In a quieter moment the punters drink in the scenery. It must have been Sunday, as the nuns are on the platform.

bdozk6.jpg

The storage yards display a singular lack of freight. It must have all been round the front!

Edited by Yorkshire Square
  • Like 10

The first 2mmSA Scottish Supermeet took place on Saturday, in the fair city of Perth, and highly enjoyable it was too. Four layouts in various stages of development, a roundy-roundy test track open to all, the 2mm central shop (thank you David!), the Association chairman there to meet members (thank you Andy!), two "talks", and sunny if cold weather. Here are one or two images:

Ian Noble's "Banff and Knock": a detail of Knock station:

post-7032-0-76207800-1461531686_thumb.jpg

and the distillery sidings in Knock yard, with Alisdair Campbell's GNSR 4-4-0 almost ready for the paint shop:

post-7032-0-97406000-1461531702_thumb.jpg

Anthony Yeates' "Corrieshalloch": scenics started and buildings ready for painting:

A rainy-looking day in the 1970s with a Class 26 departing for Kyle:

post-7032-0-74975800-1461531699_thumb.jpg

Six decades earlier, with (I think) both Anthony and Alisdair's stock: 

post-7032-0-10908100-1461531732_thumb.jpg

and the neat-looking Denny-style fiddle yard (one at each end of the layout)

post-7032-0-79168600-1461532682_thumb.jpg

Martin Stewart's  "Ketton Cement", at an early stage with mock-up buildings, RTR stock and unballasted track - but clean, unfussy design evident throughout:

post-7032-0-86059400-1461532590_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-14354000-1461531735_thumb.jpg

Mick Simpson's new layout, bare board and track at the moment:

post-7032-0-47631600-1461532602_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-03151500-1461531738_thumb.jpg

David Long hears the back story from Mick:

post-7032-0-47375500-1461532599_thumb.jpg

Tony Heywood's test track:

post-7032-0-59858200-1461532605_thumb.jpg

with Roy Bremner's rake of two LMS suburbans and an LNER brake from, I think, Masterclass etches:

post-7032-0-87621200-1461533264_thumb.jpg

Sorry Roy, I did not notice that the brake is not railed correctly.

Martin explaining his flat-bottom point jig system, which creates a backbone of rail and a few copper-clad sleepers and fills in the gap with a laser-cut mat of wooden sleepers. I should have made more of an effort to get better pictures, the system is beautifully thought out and executed and the points on Ketton Cement look great:

post-7032-0-12896000-1461532596_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-44459200-1461532593_thumb.jpg

[Edit] Jim Watt's demo with his Buchanan Kits etches eluded my camera, maybe someone else can post a photo, but here is the finished product:

post-7032-0-05882200-1461537529_thumb.jpg

Thanks Alisdair for conceiving and organising the meet, and to all the exhibitors who brought their layouts from far and wide.

regards

Graham

Edited by Graham R
  • Like 17

The first 2mmSA Scottish Supermeet took place on Saturday, in the fair city of Perth, and highly enjoyable it was too. Four layouts in various stages of development, a roundy-roundy test track open to all, the 2mm central shop (thank you David!), the Association chairman there to meet members (thank you Andy!), two "talks", and sunny if cold weather. Here are one or two images:

Thanks Alisdair for conceiving and organising the meet, and to all the exhibitors who brought their layouts from far and wide.

Looks like it was a successful event. Super layouts and modelling. Well done all. And for David Long and Andy Hanson for travelling up from Manchester and York respectively. Wish I could have gone too - but at 533 miles each way, it was a bit too far from Cornwall! More photos please.

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 1

Martin explaining his flat-bottom point jig system, which creates a backbone of rail and a few copper-clad sleepers and fills in the gap with a laser-cut mat of wooden sleepers. I should have made more of an effort to get better pictures, the system is beautifully thought out and executed and the points on Ketton Cement look great:

attachicon.gifmartin.JPG

Hi Graham

Thanks for the mug shot, didn't expect to see it as I was reading through this thread :-)

Hopefully I didn't bore everyone for long talking about the system, it would be far easier to show a demonstration but as I said on Saturday, it would take a few hours to talk through each stage unfortunately.

Overall I thought it was a great day and good to talk with like minded people and see some great looking layouts in an informal environment.  Well done to Alisdair and all for organising.

Cheers

Martin

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Looks like it was a successful event. Super layouts and modelling. Well done all. And for David Long and Andy Hanson for travelling up from Manchester and York respectively. Wish I could have gone too - but at 533 miles each way, it was a bit too far from Cornwall! More photos please.

It was indeed an excellent event, Phil, and well worth the 530 mile round trip. Andy and I thoroughly enjoyed it and praise must be given to Alisdair and the other Scottish members for the initiative. I think that in England we often forget how far away Scottish members are from many of our events and meetings such as this serve to showcase some of the excellent work that is being achieved by those members.

I'm sorry that I do look rather gloomy in the photograph (not my best side) but I prefer to think that I'm just concentrating very hard on what Mick has to say and also that he is parading one of my favourite loco classes in front of me!

As an aside, the Supermeet wasn't quite the end of the weekend for us and after an overnight at the Premier Inn at Dunfermline we headed off to the Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway on Sunday. This was Andy's first visit but was my third (or fourth but my memory is not what it was . . .) but my first for many years. I am able to give a couple of 'then and now' photographs below. The 'then' photos are from sometime in the 1980s but I always was useless at recording dates and times. If anyone could date them more precisely I would be grateful.

The first 'then' is from the footbridge looking toward the station:

post-9616-0-93585800-1461612514_thumb.jpg

This was a similar view yesterday:

post-9616-0-63266900-1461612568_thumb.jpg

A 1980s view looking from the platform. By coincidence this was the same loco that hauled our train on Sunday:

post-9616-0-34463500-1461612657_thumb.jpg

A 2016 view with a rather different form of motive power that hauled the last train of the day:

post-9616-0-83970700-1461612739_thumb.jpg

A fine weekend!

David

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham

Thanks for the mug shot, didn't expect to see it as I was reading through this thread :-)

Hopefully I didn't bore everyone for long talking about the system, it would be far easier to show a demonstration but as I said on Saturday, it would take a few hours to talk through each stage unfortunately.

Overall I thought it was a great day and good to talk with like minded people and see some great looking layouts in an informal environment.  Well done to Alisdair and all for organising.

Cheers

Martin

It looks a great idea be interesting to see a shot of the laser cut timbers. I am likely to stick with Bullhead and chairs but this could possible be used with that too.

Don

Thanks Phil, but I think David Short deserves a special mention for bringing the 2mm Central Shop all the way from Darkest Essex (a 900 mile round trip). His efforts were well rewarded with good sales figures (particularly given the relatively small number of members present compared to other 2mm events in more central locations). I hope to post some photos of the various layouts and demos when I've sorted them out.

Anyway, it was a thoroughly enjoyable event. Some cracking modelling on display (I particularly liked the lattice post signals that Jim Watt has been developing) and it was nice to meet some members who are normally too far away to attend Association events.

Andy

... I think David Short deserves a special mention for bringing the 2mm Central Shop all the way from Darkest Essex (a 900 mile round trip) ...

Hear, hear. It was very much appreciated, particularly since David also had to combine Shops 2 and 3 from the usual two showcases into a single one, which I'm sure took an evening at least, and no dount another one to put it back how it was. I should have posted this earlier:

post-7032-0-06317300-1461666212_thumb.jpg

Particularly appropriate that David chose Caley Blue as his livery for the day, since the site of one of the Caley's largest sheds, Perth South, was within buffer-clanking distance of the hall.

Look forward to other postings when some of the other snappers sort out their snaps.

Graham

• Like 5

Thanks Phil, but I think David Short deserves a special mention for bringing the 2mm Central Shop all the way from Darkest Essex (a 900 mile round trip). His efforts were well rewarded with good sales figures (particularly given the relatively small number of members present compared to other 2mm events in more central locations). I hope to post some photos of the various layouts and demos when I've sorted them out.

Anyway, it was a thoroughly enjoyable event. Some cracking modelling on display (I particularly liked the lattice post signals that Jim Watt has been developing) and it was nice to meet some members who are normally too far away to attend Association events.

Thanks Andy, indeed. David Short deserves particular mention. Well done him! I'm beginning to wish I had made the effort to attend this super Scottish Supermeet too...  

• 1 month later...

Excellent day at Railex yesterday. It was great to meet with so many Association members, many who I've not seen in some time.

2mm was well represented with a display from Jerry Clifford of his wonderful modelling for Bath. Mick Simpson and Alan Whitehouse were busy with a project, Minories, to construct the basis of a 2FS layout over the course of one weekend. Despite not having my modelling glasses, I volunteered to assemble some Easitrac lengths; I hope my endeavours were satisfactory!

Layout wise we were treated to Mark Fielder's delightful 2mm narrow gauge essays An Clar and The Pizza:

5nqafq.jpg

35hjl87.jpg

11h83gm.jpg

358s845.jpg

14j6bnq.jpg

1fw7tc.jpg

w7086t.jpg

It was a long day from leaving home at 5.45am and not getting back till 11.30pm (thanks for doing the bulk of the driving Edward), but it was more than worth it.

Edited by Yorkshire Square
  • Like 4

I like that pizza layout. What is it's diameter?

It's a 400mm diameter disc of MDF as the base. Mark originally built it as a 6.5mm gauge test-track, but then got carried away and added lots of tasty toppings...  :preved:

Edited by Phil Copleston

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

The Chatham show just over a week ago now featured both Llangerisech and Lighterman's Yard as 2FS layouts. A video is now on You tube with an excellent sequence featuring some nice movements on Llangerisech starting at 15:20 and less movement, but showing off some superb urban modelling on Lighterman's starting at 25:38.

Sorry no pics on this post, but the video by Rob Farrell captures some excellent stuff from the show. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsIyLzXPvCQ

cheers

Nigel