Photo Call! 2mm Layouts Out and About at Exhibitions

Pixie

Ah, Bilton Wednesday's football ground! I wonder what league they are playing in these days? ;)

Not sure... the progress of this club seems to have evaded Google somehow.

I was at the 2mm do at Bilton social club (just outside Rugby) which I think was the first outing of the layout in its square format, without the all-round glass if memory serves. Previously it had just been 'Haddon' which had been in existence for some considerable time before I joined the group. After that I had a few years away at Uni, returning to the group around 87.

Happily I can report that the blue Western and most of the same wagons were in action again at York last weekend but I missed the obvious opportunity to stage a repeat photo. The two opens did manage to sneak into the Easter egg photo on the St Ruth blog though.

Regards, Andy

I have a faint recollection of seeing Helsby, Tumill & Haddon at a 2mm do in Birmingham (I think), a while before it hit the normal exhibition circuit. I don't remember the glass being up then and the scenery looked a little bare. IIRC, its first proper public exhibition was in Northampton.

The York exhibition used to only be open on Sunday mornings in the days when it ran for 4 days. The exhibitors all went on a tour on the Sunday afternoon.

• RMweb Premium

Not sure... the progress of this club seems to have evaded Google somehow.

I was at the 2mm do at Bilton social club (just outside Rugby) which I think was the first outing of the layout in its square format, without the all-round glass if memory serves. Previously it had just been 'Haddon' which had been in existence for some considerable time before I joined the group. After that I had a few years away at Uni, returning to the group around 87.

Happily I can report that the blue Western and most of the same wagons were in action again at York last weekend but I missed the obvious opportunity to stage a repeat photo. The two opens did manage to sneak into the Easter egg photo on the St Ruth blog though.

Regards, Andy

Edgbaston and Bilton ! Gosh, Andy I didn't know you were that old. Did your Mum know you were out? I remember Edgbaston for the first occasion that I met Stephen Harris, introduced by Bernard Taylor. I saw some interesting diesel models (Class 40 and Class 20) on display and asked Bernard who had built them and he told me it was Stephen. I discovered that we lived close to each other, he in Amersham and me in Chesham. It was the beginning of a long, but more occasional these days, friendship.

David

Edgbaston and Bilton ! Gosh, Andy I didn't know you were that old. Did your Mum know you were out? I remember Edgbaston for the first occasion that I met Stephen Harris, introduced by Bernard Taylor. I saw some interesting diesel models (Class 40 and Class 20) on display and asked Bernard who had built them and he told me it was Stephen. I discovered that we lived close to each other, he in Amersham and me in Chesham. It was the beginning of a long, but more occasional these days, friendship.

David

David,

Double gosh! I was at that same Edgebaston 2-mil do as well. Must have been 1983, as I was back in Britain and at Uni. Did we meet for the first time there? Heavens!

• RMweb Gold

David,

Double gosh! I was at that same Edgebaston 2-mil do as well. Must have been 1983, as I was back in Britain and at Uni. Did we meet for the first time there? Heavens!

I didn't recognise you from those days. I do remember John Greenwood's patience with all my questions.

Don

I didn't recognise you from those days. I do remember John Greenwood's patience with all my questions.

Don

Phil looked a bit different in those days. I've been waiting for ages for an excuse to post this photo I found in the 2mm archives!  ;)

post-8055-0-19304400-1523040282_thumb.jpg

Andy

• Like 11

Phil looked a bit different in those days. I've been waiting for ages for an excuse to post this photo I found in the 2mm archives!  ;)

Andy

Good heavens, Andy! I think that must have been at Southampton Eurotrak in the early 1990s.

Well, well, let's see if I can dig out some snaps of a younger Mr. Hanson... Touché!  :mosking:

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Andy

Gosh, I remember Phil with all that hair, mine was a similar length back then. We first met at a fledgling area group in Bristol. - can't remember the date but it was in the eighties. Phil?

Jerry

Phil looked a bit different in those days. I've been waiting for ages for an excuse to post this photo I found in the 2mm archives! ;)

I think I've only met Phil once and that was at a committee meeting in Coventry in the mid-80's when I came down to discuss suggestions I had made for holding member's interests data on computer.(and look where that got me!)

That's the image I have of him in my head and I've been struggling to reconcile it with his avatar!

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim

• RMweb Gold

I think I've only met Phil once and that was at a committee meeting in Coventry in the mid-80's when I came down to discuss suggestions I had made for holding member's interests data on computer.(and look where that got me!)

That's the image I have of him in my head and I've been struggling to reconcile it with his avatar!

Jim

Like many of us, Phil is still the same loveable chap he always was - just a little less hairy!!

Jerry

Like many of us, Phil is still the same loveable chap he always was - just a little less hairy!!

Jerry

To paraphrase Don, aren't we all (or at least some of us)!

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim

Whilst this topic is on a bit of a nostalgic path could anybody tell me when the 2mm agm was held in York in the 80's I recall seeing Copenhagen Fields as pretty much a bare board there, I did ask them at Peterborough last year but nobody knew, so am I imagining it, could be!!! Graham.

Gosh, I remember Phil with all that hair, mine was a similar length back then. We first met at a fledgling area group in Bristol. - can't remember the date but it was in the eighties. Phil?

Jerry

Yes Jerry, at Tony Pickering's top-floor flat in Clifton in 1984-85-ish. I still have a copy of Kelvin's original plan for a 2mm Somerset Colliery layout scheme. I wonder whatever came of that idea? In the late 1980s we used to hold 2-mil Area Group meetings at Tony's shared house in Montpellier, which is where I also met JB-S. Jolly times!

• RMweb Gold

Yes Jerry, at Tony Pickering's top-floor flat in Clifton in 1984-85-ish. I still have a copy of Kelvin's original plan for a 2mm Somerset Colliery layout scheme. I wonder whatever came of that idea? In the late 1980s we used to hold 2-mil Area Group meetings at Tony's shared house in Montpellier, which is where I also met JB-S. Jolly times!

Cripes, that's well over thirty years ago! I still have a copy of that Somerset Colliery scheme from back then - it obviously planted a seed! I'll try and dig it out and post it, it was a good plan.

Jerry

Edited by queensquare

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif2mm archive 001.jpg

Andy

Good heavens, Andy! I think that must have been at Southampton Eurotrak in the early 1990s.

Ah, Eurotrack in Southampton Guildhall(?)  I have a photo of us there in 1989, against that same dark paneling.  Eurotrack is still going strong, and STILL being managed by Ian How!

• Like 1

Ah, Eurotrack in Southampton Guildhall(?)  I have a photo of us there in 1989, against that same dark paneling.  Eurotrack is still going strong, and STILL being managed by Ian How!

Blimey Dave, our paths must have crossed all those years ago! Yes, Southampton Guildhall. I bumped into Ian Howe at the St Albans show three or four years ago - he has hardly changed! And he still has some British HO - which I sold to him after I ceased dabbling in it. Fun times.

You will see if you examine closely the photo of me in post #308 above, that - as this was Eurotrak - the stock on display is not British 2-mil, but actually an Iberten Spanish 'Cuckoo' and matching 4-wheel coaches converted to 2mm finescale 10.5mm gauge. Another former indulgence of mine, now thankfully passed on. 

Ummm... anyway, perhaps we ought to cease this discussion as otherwise this may turn into "Old Codgers" reminiscence corner!  :mosking:  :derisive:

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 1

Made the trip primarily to see Andy’s BBS yesterday at the Cheltenham show...and well worth it, it was too...nice little exhibition...

Looks like a nice layout I dont think it's one that I've heard of before. What layout is it?

Regards, Andy

• RMweb Gold

Looks like a nice layout I dont think it's one that I've heard of before. What layout is it?

Regards, Andy

Bullball Summit: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82477-blueball-summit/page-15&do=findComment&comment=3121422

A brilliant layout that I look forward to seeing in the flesh one day. 

Tom. 

• Like 1

Bullball Summit: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82477-blueball-summit/page-15&do=findComment&comment=3121422

A brilliant layout that I look forward to seeing in the flesh one day. 

Tom. 

Looks good. I need to keep an eye out for it. It does ring a bell now but it's not a part of RMWeb that I follow... other than certain individual threads.

Somewhat ironically we went down to Toddington on Saturday to try out the new extension to Broadway... so I was briefly at Cheltenham Racecourse.

Regards, Andy