Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

• RMweb Premium

What happens if you leave them in longer? Such as overnight?

See a couple of posts above #1355.

Disclaimer: I didn't have any problems. 

Like all good instructions say: test on an inconspicuous area first.......

Cheers,

Mick

Can you help with this one Mick ?

On Friday a test train ran on our line with 37604 T&T 37608 + 4 yellow coaches, 3 x AC Mk.2s and something odd ?

Looked to me like one of the ex First Great Western Motorail vans, do you know anything about it please.

Merf.

• RMweb Gold

yes it was the motorail van behind 37604, seen below in the unusual surroundings of blaenau ffestiniog, it actually did attract some attention from 'non spotters' asking me what was in the 'windowless coach'

57C15734-98BD-4C59-A30A-685534EA89CB.jpg

its basically there as a brake force runner, without it i'd be limited to lower speeds as i'd only have 3 vehicles in the formation

Edited by big jim
  • Like 3

yes it was the motorail van behind 37604, seen below in the unusual surroundings of blaenau ffestiniog, it actually did attract some attention from 'non spotters' asking me what was in the 'windowless coach'

57C15734-98BD-4C59-A30A-685534EA89CB.jpg

its basically there as a brake force runner, without it i'd be limited to lower speeds as i'd only have 3 vehicles in the formation

Thanks Jim, thought it may be for brake force. Is it recent, I had not seen it before ?

Did somebody do a kit of one of these, rings slight bell ?

• RMweb Premium

Nice picture, looks very strange with the NG track and little canopy next to a full size train!  I've looked at pics of BF before and wondered, the NG line is right next to the NR one, where is the boundary as such, as the ballast looks consistent across both, and also about technical issues such as whether FR crews need PTS etc for NR, should they need to be able to walk around the non-platform side of their train.  Also that there's not dozens of signs telling people not to step off the low platform onto the (main line) tracks.  Sorry, going off at a tangent!  Nice pic :-)

Nice picture, looks very strange with the NG track and little canopy next to a full size train!  I've looked at pics of BF before and wondered, the NG line is right next to the NR one, where is the boundary as such, as the ballast looks consistent across both, and also about technical issues such as whether FR crews need PTS etc for NR, should they need to be able to walk around the non-platform side of their train.  Also that there's not dozens of signs telling people not to step off the low platform onto the (main line) tracks.  Sorry, going off at a tangent!  Nice pic :-)

Thanks Jim, remember Model Rail doing something years ago.

JDW, the site was very tight for space when the station was built. I was there on the build working for BR (paid) and as a voulenteer on the F R side. The narrow gauge track on the picture is only used on special events, the main platform being to the right. F R staff are not trained in PTS so technically are trespassing when they are on the wrong side of a train in that platform, but there is not enough room to have erected a fence within the loading gauge dimensions. So common sense prevails, except with many of the locals and photographers who seem oblivious 'because it's only a little train'

When I was working as S&T lineman there, I had to have a T2T to access the ground frames and at times 'allowed' the F R station staff to join my blockage for litter picking on both gauges.

F R staff are unusual , in that when a standard gauge loco hauled train has to run round they block the boarded crossing to their  platform and signal the standard gauge driver past the stop boards. A unique system I believe.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Back to the yellow workbench.

STill waiting for the weather to pick up so I can paint 6 Mk2s.

In the meantime, I've cracked on with my DVT fleet as they seem to be having an outing or two courtesy of Big Jim of these pages.

82129 was done by me quite some time ago and then the prototype was altered, with the addition of a camera and UV (?)  light bars

As i was doing one, I've taken the chance to stripdown another three and add the cameras. These will become 82111/82124/82145

post-408-0-17625600-1487283721_thumb.jpg

Cruel close up - bit of tidying up to do, as well as putting the camera window on.

I've also had a go making a dummy light bar from plasticard. This will be painted and offered up to see what it looks like before I make a production run

post-408-0-91358100-1487283724_thumb.jpg

Must remember to paint the leading bogie wheels of 82111 and 82145 yellow, with white tyres.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/t-nicklin_photography/30499740220/in/photolist-RK9bSs-QJKxo2-RKykJN-RNeTXV-RNnE22-QKu93E-QBuUr6-REuiLg-RB1Hoj-PD17iX-QBuY2x-L6kfnb-LzvrgJ-RpsVnu-KVTAuF-Rcycgq-Qm7V25-MriSYQ-MRapqu-Nta9b1

And no - I don't know why!

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

As a slight off topic the FFWHR is the shortest TOC - the crossing at Porthmadog required the status and as such some staff are PTS . However to be "track safe" qualified on the narrow lines is more arduous that going on a £600 course.

The Crossing keeper at Bl Ffestiniog when tour trains are in is a case in point. As I am  non PTS I am now unable to take that role but before the crossing at Port I could and did.

Entertainingly in RT days some clipboarded suits did come and say about a fence and the engineer of the day did advise if they wanted to buy a key to let the std trains in as FR owned the whole site, having bought its land from BRB but BRB not yet paid for its bit of FR land- BR lines laid on route of old FR line in cutting and up to where foot bridge crossed over!  

Back in the day when daily summer loco hauled trains graced the STD gauge I recall a 25 taking a nose dive off the trap points- Chester BVs attended in the evening. I took a FR line token to protect works as brakedown crew were using FR track as a useful shelf for packings and were surprised when I confirmed that protection was in place - foreman was a little redfaced ! but it did mean making friends- such is the railway family. - the 25 not the only engine to attempt to join the 2 foot as it happened.   

Finally on topic good to see the normal weather so well photographed looked a lovely day.  

As ever a great thead and to add a 2mm motorrail vehicle on Shapeways as a 3D print.

Robert 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

If cola's only got two.... that means two for mb ....two for some one who may work upon the 12inch railway (sounds rude)...where is the other two going?

G

Two for me. Three bound elsewhere

Leaving one spare......  :sungum: