Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

• RMweb Gold

I read somewhere they are for test coaches to replace 37s. I could be wrong however!

kind of, they are to save having to hire in 68s for the likes of mentor as they can do 100mph, they will also be used on the likes of PLP trains when not 'mentoring'

• RMweb Premium

I read somewhere they are for test coaches to replace 37s. I could be wrong however!

67s are for higher speed duties than 37s - such as high speed runs with MENTOR or to stand in when the NMT is out of action.

It means that Colas don't have to hire in DRS 68s.

Same reason that Colas acquired so many 37s - to do away - or at least reduce the need for hiring DRS locos.

Cheers,

Mick

edit - oops Jim beat me to it.

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Coming along nicely.

post-408-0-52744100-1488324384_thumb.jpg

Quite pleased so far - minimal paint creep under the tape over the bodyside ridges.  It will be tidied up as the last paint job.

The real test is the gentle angle of the black (having done a Colas 66 before Bachmann brought theirs out - that was a pig of a job)

At least the 67 has shallower/wider ridges than a 66 so - in theory - it should be easier.

That's tomorrow evening sorted out..........

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

And tomorrow evening came and wented...

post-408-0-01151500-1488413419_thumb.jpg

I had some warning panel yellow paint leftover and I certainly wasn't going to waste it......

The coaches will receive a top coat of the similar Network rail body yellow soon.

As I was removing the masking tape from the 67s, I was rudely interrupted by a train passing by my back door with a certain person giving me a friendly toot from the warmth of 37603's cab leading a yellow formation with SGT and UTU..... two of the coaches in the train are in the pile in the photo above...

The black on the 67s will be a porcine job to mask off across the ridges. As there's 6 locos to do, I'm sure that three will be enough before I have to walk away.........

At least it gives my airbrush compressor some respite as it's on it's last legs. Another one is on order.

We'll see how we get on tomorrow evening.

I may stay up to hear the 37 pushing up the hill when it returns - due back in about 90 minutes. edit: returning earlier than scheduled - now 40 minutes away....

Or I may go to bed. Keep it quiet Jim!

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I recall a Cambrian driver getting a "ticking off" - an OTR download showed a horn operation and the DM worked out mileage and as no whistle board or report of trespass/ animal incursion/ PW on site...asked why . It turned out a young lady waved at him as he passed.

A case of big brother is watching you .

Good models-  hopefully Dapol will do an N one to save as you say the piggery of the masking.

Robert

I recall a Cambrian driver getting a "ticking off" - an OTR download showed a horn operation and the DM worked out mileage and as no whistle board or report of trespass/ animal incursion/ PW on site...asked why . It turned out a young lady waved at him as he passed.

Good models- hopefully Dapol will do an N one to save as you say the piggery of the masking.

Robert

ypu do often wonder if some people have nothing better to do with there time.... a few drivers I know will give a wave and a small blast on the horn if they know I'm out and about. 67s are looking fantastic, can't wait to see them on the top end of a test train

• RMweb Premium

It's a good job you don't have to paint camo on any of the models as you would have more to moan about masking a model but at least you would have some colour variety in you modeling for a change.

I've got plenty of colours to play with in my modelling.

Black,orange,DBS red, WCRC maroon - two shades, DRS blue, BR blue, BR green, FL green, a few shades of grey and only four shades of yellow.

Off to mask for the black on a 67 or six- I may be gone some time....

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

Must remember to paint the leading bogie wheels of 82111 and 82145 yellow, with white tyres.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/t-nicklin_photography/30499740220/in/photolist-RK9bSs-QJKxo2-RKykJN-RNeTXV-RNnE22-QKu93E-QBuUr6-REuiLg-RB1Hoj-PD17iX-QBuY2x-L6kfnb-LzvrgJ-RpsVnu-KVTAuF-Rcycgq-Qm7V25-MriSYQ-MRapqu-Nta9b1

And no - I don't know why!

Cheers,

Mick

Could it be as simple as its a light coating of rust on the discs as they look to be new wheelsets?

Jeff.

Good models-  hopefully Dapol will do an N one to save as you say the piggery of the masking.

Robert

I will always "give a bast of the waning horn"... double blast if it's a nice lady with nice personality's!

Too many folk take to twitter/ fb / and other social media sites too snitch you can't get away with nothing now...it's reported and the gaffer.. (gastapo) ready with thumb screws and a bxxxxxxg!

• RMweb Premium

I will always "give a bast of the waning horn"... double blast if it's a nice lady with nice personality's!

Too many folk take to twitter/ fb / and other social media sites too snitch you can't get away with nothing now...it's reported and the gaffer.. (gastapo) ready with thumb screws and a bxxxxxxg!

I've heard that you give people the horn.......

Not me though.

M

• RMweb Premium

I've heard that you give people the horn.......

Not me though.

M

Saw him twice last week, didn't get the horn once, I was very disappointed !! :blum:

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

are the 67's all Hornby's latest super detail variant? 

cannot wait to see the outcome!!!

4 Hornby, 2 Lima. The Lima ones are a bit more difficult to mask up as there are no defined lines around the side grilles and the cab side window is too low compared to the front when the black is carried round.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

About half of the masking tape used so far...

post-408-0-90148300-1488828933_thumb.jpg

Anyone for a black 67 or three?

post-408-0-47804300-1488828936_thumb.jpg

And the tape comes off.

post-408-0-33344900-1488828940_thumb.jpg

There is a "ripple" along the line crossing the ridges. No more than I expected. They're back in the paintshop for touching up of the lines and other bits.

More later.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

About half of the masking tape used so far...

attachicon.gif67s4.jpg

Anyone for a black 67 or three?

attachicon.gif67s5.jpg

And the tape comes off.

attachicon.gif67s6.jpg

There is a "ripple" along the line crossing the ridges. No more than I expected. They're back in the paintshop for touching up of the lines and other bits.

More later.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick - have you made sure the yellow cab ends are slightly higher than normal ??

I took a flyer on guessing the livery would be standard and hence mine are being touched up on the workbench too - Bloody COLAS lol.

Looking good, i had the same ripple with mine on the black - not easy to do - maybe they should buy some more 47s - much easier to respray !!

Ben

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick - have you made sure the yellow cab ends are slightly higher than normal ??

I took a flyer on guessing the livery would be standard and hence mine are being touched up on the workbench too - Bloody COLAS lol.

Yes.

One reason why I held back a week or two was to confirm a few paint details. Rather get it right than try to be ahead of the game.

If you look closely at the background of this link - I knew the yellow cabs were higher. The available photos all show the black level with the cab side windows, continuing round to the front. That also determines the height of the yellow panel.

Unless you're doing a Lima/ex-Lima Hornby Railriad version, in which case the cab side windows are too low and make it difficult to have a tall yellow panel.

However, it's difficult to get the "kickback" at the top of the yellow front as this pic as following the vertical from the lower corner, puts the yellow panel too far round the corner onto the bodyside.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mick also had the bonus of having the official drawings before they appeared for real!

As an aside the real things should be out and about today from Toton

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

The real things had their loaded test today, 5Z67/68 RTC - Peterborough and back. Looked like it was with PLPR1 so theres a formation for you mick ;) 

Edited by Swifty11

• RMweb Premium

I asked someone to photoshop an angled black section on the 67s under the side windows and this is the quick result, looks much better in my opinion

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPH1sia5xFD2Yl3HWYklLRd69wND6gvVlQbkIARVNOLKfAk17DXf0n7KTTQcN3pTg?key=MGo4Q0I0M2RWNG5fS2lWQ0lxZTVZRzlFeU1LRm5n

Hmmmmm. I quite like the flat section under the cabside window. Maybe if that was lower and then carried round the front.

Cheers,

Mick