Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andy7 said:

Great work Mick. I was wondering if you would have done the same one I did.

Yep - I still have another half dozen graffiti pics.

Plan is to have a total of 8 out of the 18 tagged.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Lovely work on the PCAs Mick (and Andy!), I notice the graffiti people who did these haven't used the trick the local ones here do now to stop it getting removed, they put masking tape over the numbers and operating information! Some Autoballasters have even had the door numbers sprayed back in over the graffiti. Fair dos having the patience to hand paint that.

The VTG egg decals have come up well, they set the models off nicely.

Jo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Lovely work on the PCAs Mick (and Andy!), I notice the graffiti people who did these haven't used the trick the local ones here do now to stop it getting removed, they put masking tape over the numbers and operating information! Some Autoballasters have even had the door numbers sprayed back in over the graffiti. Fair dos having the patience to hand paint that.

The VTG egg decals have come up well, they set the models off nicely.

Jo

All the PCAs I've seen don't have any visible numbers or operating panles - they simply spray over them.

Most of the US graffiti seems to have the operating marks/numbers visible as though they have been "protected" as you describe, during tagging.

And thanks again for the help with the egg stickers.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2020 at 21:25, Merfyn Jones said:

9806 a couple of weeks back. Llanrwst.

3-1-2020_(10).JPG

Hi Merfyn Jones & newbryford

Have these been seen on the Chester to Holyhead line then if so, are there set times they run. 

Also

What does the BUO Acronym stand for...? For the Blue Coach above if at all, it is a BUO Coach. Those are like hens teeth to come across on the move to.

For Mick,

I think it was you Mick doh! (If it wasn't) !Sorry! but I saw on one of your posts recently, and I've tried to find it since of the Network Yellow 97301 TopnTail sitting at Llandudno Station, I've been on the hunt for 97301 up this way for ages if not donkey's haha! I know it's not one for being up this way often due to the ERTMS system (is it...Hmmm) but I have to say it was a great photo, again of your's, is that been a regular runner of late, if so what time period, it was a night time photo so either running late evening or middle of the night, I'd drive out to catch it myself, if I knew [When / Times], if you know when it will be running this way on the Holyhead line... then please do drop me a PM if you could, it would be much appreciated very much.

I take it you must either work for them Mick or a Driver for them (You lucky thing, you haha) as your photos are always great to look at and always of the unseen or unusual things that run on the Rail Network, or you hunt for them, which what I tend to so lol...

Your Modelling is on an other lever to, but that is for other comments to leave on what you are modelling and adapting/modifying that I see often I guess this is the best thread to catch those item on hey lol (You are going to tell me now that 97301 is on page 32 of this thread now aren't you haha

Take care... Regards

Jamie

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, 7APT7 said:

Hi Merfyn Jones & newbryford

Have these been seen on the Chester to Holyhead line then if so, are there set times they run. 

Also

What does the BUO Acronym stand for...? For the Blue Coach above if at all, it is a BUO Coach. Those are like hens teeth to come across on the move to.

For Mick,

I think it was you Mick doh! (If it wasn't) !Sorry! but I saw on one of your posts recently, and I've tried to find it since of the Network Yellow 97301 TopnTail sitting at Llandudno Station, I've been on the hunt for 97301 up this way for ages if not donkey's haha! I know it's not one for being up this way often due to the ERTMS system (is it...Hmmm) but I have to say it was a great photo, again of your's, is that been a regular runner of late, if so what time period, it was a night time photo so either running late evening or middle of the night, I'd drive out to catch it myself, if I knew [When / Times], if you know when it will be running this way on the Holyhead line... then please do drop me a PM if you could, it would be much appreciated very much.

I take it you must either work for them Mick or a Driver for them (You lucky thing, you haha) as your photos are always great to look at and always of the unseen or unusual things that run on the Rail Network, or you hunt for them, which what I tend to so lol...

Your Modelling is on an other lever to, but that is for other comments to leave on what you are modelling and adapting/modifying that I see often I guess this is the best thread to catch those item on hey lol (You are going to tell me now that 97301 is on page 32 of this thread now aren't you haha

Take care... Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I don't work for the railway, but have a few friends that do......

Go to flickr.com and search 97301 Llandudno and lots of pics pop up.

BUO is brake unclassified open.

Cheers,

Mick

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

7APT7: the photo your thinking of is one of mine on Flickr, it’s in the accurascale 97301 thread 

1Q06 in Llandudno

It’s not a particularly regular loco on the coast, to be honest it’s not used much on IM trains compared to others, it doesn’t go down the Cambrian either as it has an uncertified ERTMS system (Hitachi), I think it may be On the brink of being repainted/refurbished at the moment 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, big jim said:

7APT7: the photo your thinking of is one of mine on Flickr, it’s in the accurascale 97301 thread 

1Q06 in Llandudno

It’s not a particularly regular loco on the coast, to be honest it’s not used much on IM trains compared to others, it doesn’t go down the Cambrian either as it has an uncertified ERTMS system (Hitachi), I think it may be On the brink of being repainted/refurbished at the moment 

Oh Man... its only BigJim, might have known it was you buddy lol how am ya kid...

And Yes that is where I did see the your photo haha... and Yes I have it on Order to, you wouldn't think so would you...!?! haha 

So... swiftly moving on.... when is it next up North Wales way BigJim.... any idea's... I believe the ERTMS is only in place up to or just outside Llandudno Junction near Colwyn Bay or so I believe it was to the middle of 2019 or is that another system I'm referring to (It wouldnt surprise me lol) as I can be and often known to be wrong and on many occasions wrong, and we don't need comments on that please lol haha

Sorry newbryford to lol Gosh, why god, WHY!

It's a good job we can all laugh about it... Plank, that is me by the way... the PLANK, and a Two Carrot Plonker!

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7

4 hours ago, newbryford said:

All the PCAs I've seen don't have any visible numbers or operating panles - they simply spray over them.

Most of the US graffiti seems to have the operating marks/numbers visible as though they have been "protected" as you describe, during tagging.

Makes life easier for you! Some of the BCC PCAs operating round here with Colas have rather heavy graffiti cover, but also have large numbers high up so duplicates still need renumbering! Grrr

Jo

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the diversion guys, but getting back to my workbench......

All 18 suitably weathered/graffitied.

pca12.jpg.b0717e9373a7730db8c8b8baaac08864.jpg

pca10.jpg.2e2d561433e92ec0e34d0ebfdfa8bf45.jpg

pca11.jpg.01f36d6e377c03c1ffcd01d63a94afb7.jpg

A dummy tail lamp has been fitted to one of the rake for now - I will investigate fitting a working one later noting that the axles supplied with the PCAs are already live to one wheel.......

Just a couple of little paint touch-ups to do and they're ready for a debut at Stafford next week.

Motive power will most likely be 66711 or 66718 - both have worked with the PCAs. 

Although- with a fair wind, there may be another GBRf contender for use...........  (fingers crossed)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

More cracking work Mick. Boser is a local one round here, so guessing that one was done at Avonmouth.

The Mendip stuff is heavily done by Boser and the rest of the Severnside gang so you get to know the common tags.

Have you got any HTAs planned? Some of those are full bodyside jobs.

Jo

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Steadfast said:

More cracking work Mick. Boser is a local one round here, so guessing that one was done at Avonmouth.

The Mendip stuff is heavily done by Boser and the rest of the Severnside gang so you get to know the common tags.

Have you got any HTAs planned? Some of those are full bodyside jobs.

Jo

No immediate plans to do HTAs (never say never!) - I need to tag some of my HRA fleet first.

Then the next wagon sets to be done will either be my MBA or IOA rake.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, newbryford said:

Thanks for the diversion guys, but getting back to my workbench......

All 18 suitably weathered/graffitied.

pca12.jpg.b0717e9373a7730db8c8b8baaac08864.jpg

pca10.jpg.2e2d561433e92ec0e34d0ebfdfa8bf45.jpg

pca11.jpg.01f36d6e377c03c1ffcd01d63a94afb7.jpg

A dummy tail lamp has been fitted to one of the rake for now - I will investigate fitting a working one later noting that the axles supplied with the PCAs are already live to one wheel.......

Just a couple of little paint touch-ups to do and they're ready for a debut at Stafford next week.

Motive power will most likely be 66711 or 66718 - both have worked with the PCAs. 

Although- with a fair wind, there may be another GBRf contender for use...........  (fingers crossed)

Cheers,

Mick

Brilliant weathering Mick, they do very much look the part. 
Looking forward to having a play at Stafford.

Edited by cal.n
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, westie7 said:

Wow, the weathering and graffiti on the PCAs is spot on, I just don't have the balls to tackle mine yet:lol_mini:

You’d be better off using a brush......:O

cheers,

Phil.

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

The final three (yeah right) PCAs.

The prototype pic is on flickr somewhere.

pca15.jpg.398ee04f1da98d46b57d4af2cd73b193.jpg

pca16.jpg.44d48caa3702e77274b00b1008071742.jpg

pca14.jpg.a597105714406b0da29045bda0d5338f.jpg

Inspired by this photo - taken by Cal N of this parish after I couldn't get to it in time.

pca17.jpg.f71e330739c0c90babbdf6cedf6cfe5e.jpg

I've been experimenting with couplings to reduce the gap with the supplied T/Ls. Hence the Kadees on 2 of them

As they run as fixed rake, I'm awaiting a set of Hunt magnetic couplings to arrive. I've tried them on my 2 HST sets and they seem to do the job.

Next (last?) job with the PCAs is to fit a flashing tail lamp to one of them. 

I know they come apart as I watched one roll off the Accurascale stand at Glasgow last year and revert to "major components".....

The wheels are already live to one side, so I'll probably use DCC Concepts axle springs and then fit wipers to the insulated side.

The quick and easy way would be to reverse one wheel set, but I'm not keen on only one axle pickup.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Gold

Great job Mick. I fitted the exact same flashing tail lamp setup, easy to get apart.

Also I run mine with the supplied 3 links and I’ve not had one derailment on Badgers Cross with its helixes. Think the spring buffers help. Also look fab with such a small gap between them.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, newbryford said:

The final three (yeah right) PCAs.

The prototype pic is on flickr somewhere.

pca15.jpg.398ee04f1da98d46b57d4af2cd73b193.jpg

pca16.jpg.44d48caa3702e77274b00b1008071742.jpg

pca14.jpg.a597105714406b0da29045bda0d5338f.jpg

Inspired by this photo - taken by Cal N of this parish after I couldn't get to it in time.

pca17.jpg.f71e330739c0c90babbdf6cedf6cfe5e.jpg

I've been experimenting with couplings to reduce the gap with the supplied T/Ls. Hence the Kadees on 2 of them

As they run as fixed rake, I'm awaiting a set of Hunt magnetic couplings to arrive. I've tried them on my 2 HST sets and they seem to do the job.

Next (last?) job with the PCAs is to fit a flashing tail lamp to one of them. 

I know they come apart as I watched one roll off the Accurascale stand at Glasgow last year and revert to "major components".....

The wheels are already live to one side, so I'll probably use DCC Concepts axle springs and then fit wipers to the insulated side.

The quick and easy way would be to reverse one wheel set, but I'm not keen on only one axle pickup.

Cheers,

Mick

Model a bit to close to match real wagon.! Are you sure your not a 12 inch to foot tagger....I'm calling BTP see it! Snitch it! Sort it !on..0854123123

Fantastic wagon made more individual...can't wait to see rake trundle round DL

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Good modelling, getting to grips with graffiti must be challenging - I use decals .  I recall a case in Bristol where some Parcels stock got a good repaint job - the individual was caught and the police reported he had model railway vehicles done as a trial - these appeared at his trail !  Mental health issues quoted but cannot recall out come, Bristol is still a total mess with almost every inch painted - I guess it stops rusting but that is the only good thing to say about it.     61016 !!

Robert    

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Andy7 said:

Great job Mick. I fitted the exact same flashing tail lamp setup, easy to get apart.

Also I run mine with the supplied 3 links and I’ve not had one derailment on Badgers Cross with its helixes. Think the spring buffers help. Also look fab with such a small gap between them.

3 links are great but a PITA to put on/take off at exhibitions. Especially with the amount of stock that's on DL.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

3 links are great but a PITA to put on/take off at exhibitions. Especially with the amount of stock that's on DL.

That’s a good point Mick. I’m always thinking home layout.