Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

• RMweb Premium

Cracking job Mick. I'm going down the same route, just trawling the net for pics.. I must catch New Bryford at some point and examine the stock!

Andy

Thanks Andy, NB is on it's farewell tour over the next two years.

BRM Peterborough in October is down your way - sort of.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Is Newbryford headed to anywhere near Scotland for its tour, not seen it in person yet!

James

Not with it's current bookings. It was at Perth last year.

If any Scottish show managers are looking though.......

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Just found a good excuse for you to run a random collection of yellow stock...as if you ever needed one of course!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/harrysavage/26511339954/

Thanks,

Jack.

hi Jack,

Ta for that, but not quite as random as it looks.

You've got me checking flickr............

Half the fun of modelling yellow stuff is the research.

Now for the results:

The first three are a UTU set - looks like UTU2 62287 (working recently with 9702/6260), I think the rear coaches are a UTU/SGT combo - it looks like the depressed roof of 999605 (the former UTU2....) and the slab sided barrier of either 977986 or 99966 (from looking at other photos of the working, I think it's 99966, which has been paired with SGT 72630. The two flush sided SGT barriers 977986 and 99966 do have slight differences)

I will be doing some more digging.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I will be doing some more digging.

or you could have asked me to get the consist for you but thats no fun

its definatly 2 UTU sets as it was running to old dalby for them to be calibrated, i think the front is, as you say the short UTU train i had last week (9702, utu2 and genny 6260) and i have recently ran with a SGT/UTU combo in service as a 5 coach set, although looking at that picture im not convinced that the rear coach is a DBSO as it looks to be lacking drivers steps

anyhoo, what/who do you use for number decals on your models, im looking to finish off my SGT and DBSO but arent sure what size numbers i need to make up the number set, or indeed if i can get them prenumbered on a sheet from railtec, i certainly cant find 9708 as a DBSO option on there, similarly what NR decals should i be looking at, can only see pre 2009 logos (which to my eye look no different to any other NR decal ive seen!)

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Premium

or you could have asked me to get the consist for you but thats no fun

i think the front is, as you say the short UTU train i had last week (9702, utu2 and genny 6260)

anyhoo, what/who do you use for number decals on your models, im looking to finish off my SGT and DBSO but arent sure what size numbers i need to make up the number set, or indeed if i can get them prenumbered on a sheet from railtec, i certainly cant find 9708 as a DBSO option on there, similarly what NR decals should i be looking at, can only see pre 2009 logos (which to my eye look no different to any other NR decal ive seen!)

Hi Jim,

Last year, I made up some of my own number sets using Crafty Computer paper and wife's work laser printer. (They also included my door grille for the yellow DVTs). I could only print colours on clear, or colours on white. So I did a few black numbers....

The font for "Network Rail" was changed about 2009. It used to be quite plain until they changed it for the font that is used today.

The later Network Rail logos (2011-ish onwards) are slightly different as they have a sunburst effect shading on the red lines. Only really noticeable with good, clear side on pics.

A quick search of the Railtec site has a dedicated SGT transfer sheet. and a detailed view Both fonts are clearly shown. It also includes 9708.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

i looked at the SGT sheet on there but saw the old style OHLE flashes etc and thought it was just for the old train, should have looked properly!

i will contact steve and get a set of them ordered (showing as out of stock) as it will do all 3 coaches from one sheet

A quick search of the Railtec site has a dedicated SGT transfer sheet. and a detailed view Both fonts are clearly shown. It also includes 9708.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks Mick. In fact we've been revisiting the SGT offerings earlier today. That pack you kindly mentioned Mick has now been split into two, i.e. the Network Rail version and the earlier RTC (later livery) variant, just so folks didn't end up having waste. To my knowledge and for completeness this now gives a full quota of packs for the SGT in its various forms:

4mm-2767: RTC SGT variant 1: Lab 17/18

4mm-2768: RTC SGT variant 2: Test Coach Hermes/Mercury

4mm-2769: RTC SGT variant 3: revised RTC livery

4mm-2047: Network Rail SGT

Here's the pic for the Network Rail version which includes spares, as well as the data panels, C1 markings and OHL flashes included together for easy one-piece application where appropriate:

2047-1.jpg

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mick. In fact we've been revisiting the SGT offerings earlier today. That pack you kindly mentioned Mick has now been split into two, i.e. the Network Rail version and the earlier RTC (later livery) variant, just so folks didn't end up having waste. To my knowledge and for completeness this now gives a full quota of packs for the SGT in its various forms:

4mm-2767: RTC SGT variant 1: Lab 17/18

4mm-2768: RTC SGT variant 2: Test Coach Hermes/Mercury

4mm-2769: RTC SGT variant 3: revised RTC livery

4mm-2047: Network Rail SGT

Here's the pic for the Network Rail version which includes spares, as well as the data panels, C1 markings and OHL flashes included together for easy one-piece application where appropriate:

2047-1.jpg

Hope this helps.

When it was reformed with 9708 taking the place of 977985, the flush-sided brake force runner 99666 was added to the set.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevestrains/6958578465/in/photolist-bAUwWM-ecgDmK-iNSEkj-9sRBsQ-8ziU6u-f6bDUf-npTFrp-oW9csZ-wGiqFv-gtCdry-FADGEt-fUngz-Gt1oec-fUsEE-dKTrey-ni898P-nbCyrY-cyJ4dw-8HYcFq-brY35F-gC3jDX-dRkjRc-ejZRub-kBvhVP-86Nqck-8r4BBg-86RBtJ-7J78Bf-86Nqok-qtyQVB-ko1e1-GeaYHJ-cBYU47-kAS2Uj-nobDHH-icgucT-fn4B9y-mgwEJ8-icgZKy-dskbkJ-9SBvAB-GrdSxf-dmbfk8-wFP6hv-bawh9H-bmHLt6-bmHCQr-fxpqqA-nxGjnZ-72rVB9

Although other test vehicles were sometimes used to make up the relevant brake force.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

Thanks Mick! One good thing about managing the entire end-to-end process in house is that changes can be made on-the-fly. So here's the revised version of the Network Rail SGT:

2047a-1.jpg

There is a separate pack if needed with pretty much all the other NR running numbers on, but hopefully the above should suffice on its own for most.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Two shades of yellow, but only one shade of grey.....

post-408-0-95347800-1464133962_thumb.jpg

Orange cant rail and silver door kick plates should break it up nicely

And as the workbench is "mostly" yellow, here's something that's not yellow (apart from the top rail)

post-408-0-40606400-1464134090_thumb.jpg

Bachmann MBA, Bachmann MFA and a S-Kits MHA body on a Hornby chassis.

Apologies for the dodgy phone pics and the unusual colour cast caused by fluorescent lights.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 15