Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

• RMweb Premium

The 73 looks really good... Could i ask where you got the s kits mha body from?

S-Kits.....

George at S-Kits can be tricky to track down and he doesn't really have an online presence.

You'll have to use an old-fashioned letter and SAE.

Edit:

Full details in the RMweb suppliers lists, including email

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/page/small_supplier_database.html/_/skits-r25

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

S-Kits.....

George at S-Kits can be tricky to track down and he doesn't really have an online presence.

Edit:

Full details in the RMweb suppliers lists, including email

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/page/small_supplier_database.html/_/skits-r25

Cheers,

Mick

I note he is listed as a trader at DEMU again this year - I plan to stock up on some of his bits! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I note he is listed as a trader at DEMU again this year - I plan to stock up on some of his bits! 

It may be worth contacting him in advance to ensure he has the stuff....

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

S-Kits.....

Or you can bag him at DEMU's Showcase exhibition on 4/5 June!

Cheers, Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent. Hoping I can seek your advice for glazing my Network Rail coaches..... See you tomorrow

Hi Mick

Thanks for your time at DEMU. This week I have been busy glazing and I've pretty much finished my UTU test train.

post-17057-0-54794000-1465822462_thumb.jpg

(More photo's in my Laoson Valley thread). Whilst no-where near your standards I'm pretty happy for a first attempt. 

Cheers

<edit to remove duplication>

Edited by sdw7300
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick

Thanks for your time at DEMU. This week I have been busy glazing and I've pretty much finished my UTU test train.

Glad to be of help, that's what we're there for. Always good to chat to a convert to the dark yellow side

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hopefully a few updates soon, with a yellow 73138 at the fore, including the bi colour tail/markers that it has on one end.

Other "nearly there" projects include 37057 and Express lights fitted XC 170 and 220.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

quick question, what vehicle would be an ideal donor to do one of the UTU coaches (i.e the simplest one to convert) although looking at the real thing there doesnt look a simple option!

Jim,

I recently used a Mk1 BG coach and Collett Coach bodyshell (both from Replica Railways) to make 999602 UTU3, however this is technically too short! A few photos here .

HTH

• RMweb Premium

quick question, what vehicle would be an ideal donor to do one of the UTU coaches (i.e the simplest one to convert) although looking at the real thing there doesnt look a simple option!

All of the UTUs are ex-SR EMU vehicles. two are 4-REP driving motors and I think the others are 4-CIG. There was a NSE liveried spare 4-Cig vehicle sitting in front of the Kelvin building at the RTC couple of weeks ago.

It's very much a big cut n shut project with Mk1's, but there is the option of Britannia Pacific models that do a couple of them, although they do portray pre-rebuild vehicles. There is a project elsewhere to offer etched sides for the likes of 62384, but it has stalled for awhile.

I've done 62482 in blue (now 999605) with bespoke Southern Pride sides, and 999602 with Comet sides. But both have since been altered. a UTU is high on my to do list.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Finally got round to working on 73138 and fitting it with LEDs as well as modifying the existing lights.

Apologies for cruel close up pics.

A previous "missed" pic is the shark-fin aerial on each cab roof. It's mounted on a circular pad that was cut from self-adhesive paper with my Silhouette cutter. The aerial is a small piece of styrene glued into a small slot cut into the new panel and roof below. It is allowed to set and then pared down to the size I want - much easier that trying to fit a tiny triangle.

post-408-0-79452200-1468512131_thumb.jpg

Out of the box, the Dapol 73 has a plunger/contact arrangement to power the various lights - cab, blinds at each end and headlights at each end. As I didn't want cab lights, I removed them and the wiring to the pickup board.

I then wired from the now spare plungers to the new lights at one end - using one for white and the other for red. The resistors for these new lights are soldered directly to the circuit board. The extra joints with sleeving had to be fitted as I had to fit the high marker LED and wiring for the lower LEDs, before refitting the cab interior. Only when this was done, could I install the  bi-colour LEDS.

post-408-0-04747900-1468512107_thumb.jpg

The circuit board was modified so I could now have independently controlled head and tail lights. I had to cut a couple of tracks and the green/purple wires use the AUX1 and AUX2 outputs from the decoder. The tracks wer cut to isolate the plunger from it's original function of cab light.

The yellow wire is a re-route of one of the headlight outputs.

post-408-0-06623900-1468512130_thumb.jpg

To make room for the new LEDs, I had to cut away part of the chassis

post-408-0-44049500-1468512125_thumb.jpg

Original end with headlight

post-408-0-06759600-1468512133_thumb.jpg

Original end with red blind (simply done by using a red marker pen. (The photo doesn't really show how red it is)

post-408-0-14020300-1468512138_thumb.jpg

I've noticed that one of the wiper arms is missing and if the workshop floor monster doesn't give it up later, I have a set of MJT etches to fit.

New red tail lights -a gain, the camera hasn't really picked them out

post-408-0-56827500-1468512139_thumb.jpg

New markers and existing headlight - I need to tone the upper light down a bit!

post-408-0-76318800-1468512140_thumb.jpg

A few more tidying up jobs to do including buffers, cab aerials and lower end detail, decals and a bit of weathering.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 12

Nice work on the 73 Mick, certainly looks a bit different with all the lights and camera! I've used a similar approach to yours when doing small roof aerials and other lumps and bumps, not managed to break one yet!

Jo