Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

Guest 40-something

I'll post these for mick as he's away from the computer for a while

3 colas 67s, one Hornby one for me and 2 Lima ones for one of the bosses at colas

Lima

4C5CCE56-3A83-42CC-9200-F0D08F2AEB36.jpg

Hornby, TTS sound fitted model

C408C608-6041-4E21-98E5-C2664C252FF2.jpg

F166FFAA-9B5D-4B0C-90F8-59FC503AF000.jpg

CAE7815D-9EFC-4B03-B9E7-EC6C1D4F5FBB.jpg

Really pleased with how they look, big thanks to mick for doing them for us (just need to sort out that cab ride for you now!)

Fantastic job, always get a top quality finish by Mick.

Makes a refreshing change from some of the 'professional' repaints with paint bleed, wonky/incomplete cantrail stripes and silvered decals

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Stuff packed and ready for the mostly yellow demo stand at this year's DEMU Showcase

http://www.demu.org.uk/showcase2017.php

Note: Deadmans Lane will not be attending because of the space constraints at the Town Hall due to the upcoming General Election.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mick

Great to meet you at Perth and thanks for all your advice - great font of knowledge you and Roland!!

Found the pens and managed to get 4 for the price of 3!

Should get my Colas 67 complete next week and have already stripped Grainflow to become 37098 in Engineers grey! Hi intensity light removed (pity I did not have it on 37254!).

Looking forward to the new items from DCC Concepts and will definitely go for the ground signals!

Best regards

John

• RMweb Premium

There's been a long promised non-yellow addition to the NB/DL roster in the last few days.

A Hornby 8F - 48154 - that will be renumbered to 48151 in current main line guise.

Not too much work to do. Fitting the excellent Locoman 8F sound decoder. Painting the smokebox matt black, adding a high intensity headlight and renumbering, along with a change of BR logo on the tender. Not forgetting the modern style OHLE flashes as well.

Should be ready for the Railex NE show in a few weeks to run with the WCRC set.

I'll try and post pics of the headlamp addition.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

Here's my video from yesterday. They must have forgotten to change the tail lamp when running her around.

The BR crest on the tender is in a bit of a state.

post-27529-0-05561000-1498639311_thumb.png

Whats the large box on the rear of the tender? I have only seen in on 48151.

• RMweb Premium

Here's my video from yesterday. They must have forgotten to change the tail lamp when running her around.

The BR crest on the tender is in a bit of a state.

attachicon.gifa.png

Whats the large box on the rear of the tender? I have only seen in on 48151.

It could be OTMR/TPWS gear. There are other steam locos on the mainline with various added on quipment and they can often be found on the tender tops.

I'll try and ask my WCRC fireman friend.

When it came through Settle later, it had a white headlamp (black body) with cosmetic headlamps on the outer brackets.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• 3 weeks later...

It could be OTMR/TPWS gear. There are other steam locos on the mainline with various added on quipment and they can often be found on the tender tops.

I'll try and ask my WCRC fireman friend.

When it came through Settle later, it had a white headlamp (black body) with cosmetic headlamps on the outer brackets.

Cheers,

Mick

I would imagine it for the GSMR battery/PCU and aerial

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've managed to get a few more mostly finished projects to the very nearly almost finished stage, so whilst waiting for some paint to dry I made a start on a kit that's been on my shelf for nearly a year.

A Make Your Mark Models Plasser TJC60 twin jib crane.

I've bought resin cast loads from MYMM beforeso know that the quality of casting is very good and I wasn't disappointed with this kit either.

The castings had the absolute minimum of flash and casting lines.

A couple of hours with some superglue and I'm already up to this - it is basically complete:

post-408-0-24420000-1501880384_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-12528900-1501880385_thumb.jpg

The cab and roof are not yet glued into place.

The bogies are a one piece casting and have already been primed.

It will receive a quick dusting of primer and then I'll set to adding some non-kit details such as pipework before it receives a top coat of yellow (what else?) to become SB Rail 79215.

Prototype - The Plasser TJC60s were originally constructed in 1978/79 and most have survived to the present day carrying a few liveries and owners - with a couple on preserved railways.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 19

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The TJC progresses well.

A first run through with the yellow and black

post-408-0-52937200-1502917992_thumb.jpg

Then adding more paint detail, along with some hydraulic pipes from thin solder.

post-408-0-50855400-1502917993_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-98596000-1502917993_thumb.jpg

Still a bit of touching up to do, cab windows to cut out and glue in (that's why the roof is still not fixed down)

Decals and then finally fit the etched handrails - I'm leaving them until last because they are quite fine and easily bent.

Weathering will also be carried out.

Decals may take a bit of work, as those available from Make Your Mark Models don't cover the variant I want to do, so I'll probably design and print my own. I have access to a laser printer and laser decal paper. Although the stripes will be from the Fox range.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Going back to a previous project 

Cruel closeup dodgy phone pics - the red hasn't come out too well on the pics. It looks far better to the naked eye.

Using nano LEDs, I superglued six of them around a plastic rod. Soldered on the resistors and covered the lot in heatshrink

post-408-0-32774000-1503091520_thumb.jpg

A check to see if they work

post-408-0-90284800-1503091521_thumb.jpg

And a quick placement in the drum..

post-408-0-48576900-1503091522_thumb.jpg

And now I have to tidy up the surface of the drum.......

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Not sure how you manage to solder that all together...

How are you planning to couple it to 977986?

Initially I'll be using Kadees with the trip pin removed. Mounted on the bogie and spaced out to suit the slightly larger gap between 977985/986.

I will be doing another set of LEDs for 72630/99666. I may try a bar coupler between those, but I want the ability to uncouple them easily for exhibition transport purposes.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

love it, i really need to add the 'dusty bin' to my SGT at some point

the one think i think you do differently if you can change it is rather than having 'slits' in the drum have holes instead as the lazer beam comes out in spots rather than a 'sheet' of light

you could be really clever and make the laser switch off below 9 mph as per the real thing

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Premium

love it, i really need to add the 'dusty bin' to my SGT at some point

the one think i think you do differently if you can change it is rather than having 'slits' in the drum have holes instead as the lazer beam comes out in spots rather than a 'sheet' of light

you could be really clever and make the laser switch off below 9 mph as per the real thing

Lots of spots = lots of holes. I did experiment with holes to begin with, but very difficult to get them small enough and still let the light out.

The LEDs will be switchable via a DCC decoder. 

Cheers,,

Mick

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some great work your doing. Wish I had the confidence to make a test train.

Why not?

Use and old/secondhand coach and practice filling in windows etc. See further up thread for how to do the windows.

Old bodies can be picked up for a few £s from shops/exhibitions. Have a look in the baskets/boxes underneath the tables at shows.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

Why not?

Use and old/secondhand coach and practice filling in windows etc. See further up thread for how to do the windows.

Old bodies can be picked up for a few £s from shops/exhibitions. Have a look in the baskets/boxes underneath the tables at shows.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks for the advice, shall have a look around for coaches, I may even have some I can practise on. What type of MK2's are suitable?

Edited by Shaun66

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the advice, shall have a look around for coaches, I may even have some I can practise on. What type of MK2's are suitable?

Depends on which one you want to do, but the vast majority of the Mk2 fleet can be made from the Airfix (Dapol/Hornby) Mk2 D TSO. The Lima Mk 2e/f  TSO is also good, but harder to find secondhand.

The BSO from the same Airfix stable is good for 9418/9516/9523 and advancing onto the RTOV (DBSO) 97xx later when you feel confident.

There are four that can be made from the Airfix FO. 1256, 977983, 99666, 977986.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the help, one last question, the test train that your currently making what coach numbers are they and what is there formation?

test train formations vary week to week depending on what needs testing, my model test train comprises the SGT (structure gauging train) and dbso driving coach (which is a fairly simple conversion with the PH design kit) generator van (model rail mag ltd ed) and a 37

in my opinion the SGT (the one mick is doing 10000 times better than i ever will) is the simplest to start with if you want a 'basic' test train as you just need to paint one mk2 coach yellow and fill the windows on the other then also paint it yellow, oh and remove the gangways

the problem with yellow trains is once you make one its hard to stop as im sure mick will testify!

ive not got mentor, nmt, an mpv, radio survey coach, plp and a tru underway (lots of abbreviations with test trains too!)

see my thread also...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106497-big-jims-workbenchits-all-gone-a-bit-yellow/?p=2143511

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the help, one last question, the test train that your currently making what coach numbers are they and what is there formation?

As Jim says, the formations vary a bit, but there are some that stay together for awhile.

One that passed me a couple of days ago. 9481/977997/72631/975091 for example.

Half the fun is researching the numbers.

www.departmentals.com is a good place to start, and once you've got a few numbers to go at, www.flickr.com

the problem with yellow trains is once you make one its hard to stop as im sure mick will testify!

i

I started with two and now I've built a layout specially to run them on..........

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1