Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been awhile since any updates.

But a recent delivery of Railtec'd excellent products has seen a couple of coaches come nearer to completion.

First up - Structure Gauging pair 977985/977986.

post-408-0-26080300-1542587106_thumb.jpg

The (laser) LED is powered from a DCC decoder - see here for it's construction.

Door handles, a bit of touching up of paint and removal of the plastic over the Laserglaze and it'll be out in revenue service next weekend on New Bryford

Hopefully pics of PLPR 1256 and 72639 to follow.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

It's been awhile since any updates.

But a recent delivery of Railtec'd excellent products has seen a couple of coaches come nearer to completion.

First up - Structure Gauging pair 977985/977986.

attachicon.gif977985.jpg

The (laser) LED is powered from a DCC decoder - see here for it's construction.

Door handles, a bit of touching up of paint and removal of the plastic over the Laserglaze and it'll be out in revenue service next weekend on New Bryford

Hopefully pics of PLPR 1256 and 72639 to follow.

Cheers,

Mick

To be honest this is a lovely layout, not too over the top.

Regards

Peter

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A Merry yellow Christmas to all readers from the NB workbench.

There hasn't been much to show in the recent past, but hoping to get a few projects kick-started and finished in the coming months.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Following on from a delivery of 100 tonne tank wagons from Revolution, thanks to Jack 374 of this parish for a few photos - used with permission. Jack does apologise for quality as the light was fading fast..

They have a distinctive basic weathering pattern of a clean midriff - most probably due to being cleaned by lineside vegetation and two vertical lines under the filler points. They also have a taper to the horozontal line that matches the end taper of the tank barrel. Note that the line between clean and dirty is "furry"

post-408-0-48794600-1547596808_thumb.jpg

The grey ones have the same pattern, but with only one vertical section under the single filler point

post-408-0-87151100-1547596825_thumb.jpg

Some are now starting to have the EWS branding painted out, as well as other additional overpainting

post-408-0-15825800-1547596835_thumb.jpg

To start with, I've cut masking blanks from 10 thou plasticard.

post-408-0-47664300-1547596847_thumb.jpg

I used bluetac to space the mask away from the tank barrel so that I don't end up with a distinct line

post-408-0-45731400-1547596882_thumb.jpg

A quick dust over with frame dirt as the first stage of the painting process.

post-408-0-65775800-1547596872_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-70980500-1547596862_thumb.jpg

More to follow.

Hoping to have them ready for BRM Doncaster.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Nicely done, really starting to look the part.

A quick word of warning than Roundhouse of this parish discovered on his n gauge ones that even a quick wipe of thinners to try and remove some of the paint from the body side to emulate the streaks took the decals with it.

• RMweb Gold

A quick word of warning than Roundhouse of this parish discovered on his n gauge ones that even a quick wipe of thinners to try and remove some of the paint from the body side to emulate the streaks took the decals with it.

Thanks for that as I hadn’t seen it.

Looking really good Mick. A full rake with a 60 on the front will be spot on.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about giving them a quick coat of Klear between layers - I will do so now. That should provide some protection against thinners for further streaks.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

Hi Mick, Happy New Year.

I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to explain and take photos of the steps you take to achieve things. I've noticed recently especially on some of the Facebook modelling groups loads of people posting what they've done and how good it looks but if anyone asks "how did you do that?" it all goes quiet. Although they are very quick to like someones "awesome" comment!!!!!!

I'm never going to be a great modeller but I do like to learn and try and improve, your threads helps me towards achieving my goals.

So a lot of credit to you, thanks :sungum:

I've got some tanks to do........lol

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick, Happy New Year.

I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to explain and take photos of the steps you take to achieve things. I've noticed recently especially on some of the Facebook modelling groups loads of people posting what they've done and how good it looks but if anyone asks "how did you do that?" it all goes quiet. Although they are very quick to like someones "awesome" comment!!!!!!

I'm never going to be a great modeller but I do like to learn and try and improve, your threads helps me towards achieving my goals.

So a lot of credit to you, thanks :sungum:

I've got some tanks to do........lol

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for that - much appreciated.

(#Awesome.... #like)

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

Glad you like the thread.

It doesn't have to be yellow to have a window filled in!

When I do demos at exhibitions, even though my display is predominantly yellow, I always stress that the techniques I use can easily be applied to any era, scale or gauge.

who knows - maybe I will backdate my test fleet - now there's some oddities in there.

Cheers,

Mick

If only more people would open their eyes to such things, especially potential readers of MRJ methinks!

Plastic is plastic and metal is metal whatever era you model.

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As intimated above, they were given a quick coat of Klear. (For those that haven't come across it, Klear was available in the UK as self-levelling floor polish very useful as a varnish. It was ammonia based and didn't affect enamels or acrylics and then could be overpainted with enamels or acrylics for weathering. Then if the weathering wasn't to taste, it could be wiped off with thinners, nit affecting the piant underneath the Klear.)

It has been replaced by Pledge multisurface polish but this isn't as good.

I have about 100ml left and use it very sparingly.

(There is a 500 ml bottle on Ebay at the moment for £49.99.........)

Anyway, back to the TEAs.

Iwant to recreate a few that have had the EWS branding removed/overpainted, so set about removing the applied printing as it would show through a simple layer of sprayed paint.

I set about with various methods. 

T-Cut with cocktail stick and cotton buds were first up. It worked but was very laborious.

The base coat of grey seemed to be very resilient - which was a good sign.

Then I set to with thinners, bearing in mind the Klear cote and the advice from Njee.

Again, slow going, but a cocktail stick with chisel point dipped in thinners was great for creating the partially cleaned edges before overpainting.

post-408-0-74188400-1548362647_thumb.jpg

(I have no idea where the hairs have come from - those who know me will know that mine isn't that long!)

Then I was reminded on another thread about scratching numbers off with a sharp scalpel blade.

Bingo - quick and easy with minimal marking of the base grey layer.

post-408-0-31279000-1548362633_thumb.jpg

The spots are the scraped off paint flecks - they will be cleaned off before painting.

So out with the masking tape.....

post-408-0-13247400-1548362621_thumb.jpg

I am planning on using Tamiya light grey fine surface primer for the grey.

More masking to do.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 21:55, newbryford said:

The TEAs looked and ran well at BRM Doncaster the last weekend.

Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of them. Their next outing is at Preston in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, my "Make Your Mark Models" twin jib crane had an outing -just a couple of wire ropes to add.

Thanks to Jack T for the pic.

TJC.jpg.85beb759ee963d31cc0e08315d4013ae.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

That's lovely build there Mick,wouldnt mind building one of those cranes now:good:

cheers neil..