Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

4 hours ago, newbryford said:

Inspired by this photo - taken by Cal N of this parish after I couldn't get to it in time.

pca17.jpg.f71e330739c0c90babbdf6cedf6cfe5e.jpg

Next (last?) job with the PCAs is to fit a flashing tail lamp to one of them. 

The wheels are already live to one side, so I'll probably use DCC Concepts axle springs and then fit wipers to the insulated side.

The quick and easy way would be to reverse one wheel set, but I'm not keen on only one axle pickup.

Nevermind a flashing tail lamp, I think you need to motorise one to be fully prototypical...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/runaway-and-derailment-of-a-wagon-at-clitheroe?

But seriously the graffiti and weathering look amazing and as a set they look even better.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, cal.n said:

Nevermind a flashing tail lamp, I think you need to motorise one to be fully prototypical...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/runaway-and-derailment-of-a-wagon-at-clitheroe?

But seriously the graffiti and weathering look amazing and as a set they look even better.

VTG 10601 was the wagon involved.

Edited by newbryford

7 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

....I'm calling BTP see it! Snitch it! Sort it !on..

I got a text off "BTP" once...moral is don’t answer messages from strangers! In this circumstance the letters B, T and P stood for other, non-repeatable, words once I found out the true perpetrator......... :angry: I’m looking at YOU Bradford Buffer!! Got a free platform ticket out of it though...

As the aforementioned prankster said, they look absolutely superb Mick and I can’t wait to see these and the rest of the fleet on DL once the exhibition circuit restarts once more.

Jack.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

21 hours ago, Jack374 said:

I got a text off "BTP" once...moral is don’t answer messages from strangers! In this circumstance the letters B, T and P stood for other, non-repeatable, words once I found out the true perpetrator......... :angry: I’m looking at YOU Bradford Buffer!! Got a free platform ticket out of it though...

As the aforementioned prankster said, they look absolutely superb Mick and I can’t wait to see these and the rest of the fleet on DL once the exhibition circuit restarts once more.

Jack.

What doesn't kill you makes you a better person!.....at least that's what I said to wifey after giving her a std after playing away!!

• RMweb Premium

Hunt magnetic couplings have been purchased and delivered for the PCAs. As above -this is instead of using the supplied Instanters for ease of railing/removing at exhibitions.

They are the NEM ultra-close type.

When fitted they are virtually touching buffers.

I did wonder that if this was too close, but initial tests with a rake of showed no issues when pushing/pulling by hand over a Peco medium radius crossover/reverse curve - which would be the worst case on my layout.

Original tension lock. And that's with the loops touching - the gap is greater when in full tension (see below note to A/S)

hunt3.jpg.d56b58c5e522ba5e48bfe7ef3c205b1f.jpg

Hunt coupling on straight.

hunt2.jpg.ee7966f71dc0e147ecced583766693f6.jpg

Hunt on reverse curve. Note buffer compression. With short wagons such as these, mediums *should* present no problems.

hunt1.jpg.2ff18cc0e567041ff34a255fd14d6b4b.jpg

As my set of  PCAs will not be shunted/uncoupled and I want them to be visible to the public on one side (the graffiti side) at show, I had to think about how I would accommodate this so I could run the set on the inner or outer circuit.

Most of my "freight" locos have wire loops for tension locks and the end of rakes have (or are slowly acquiring) flashing tail lights. i.e the lead wagon has a T/L for the loco wire loop and the last wagon has a cosmetic Instanter in the case of the PCAs

As the Hunt couplings are "handed" A & B with the magnets, it isn't as easy as swapping over the first and last wagons.

The solution is fairly simple.

Wagon 1 is T/L and Kadee #18. Wagon 2 is Kadee #18 and Hunt "A" magnet.

Wagon 20 is Hunt "B" magnet and Kadee #18. Wagon 21 is Kadee #18 and cosmetic Instanter with tail light.

So when putting the rake on at a show, wagons 2-20 are placed on the track with the graffiti to the public side. The outer ends of 2-20 are Kadees.

Wagons 1 and 21 are then added, depending upon the rake being on the inner or outer circuit and which end the loco leads.

Yes - I could have used Kadee #18s throughout, but the Hunt are cheaper and less obtrusive than the Kadee. And there's no slack in the Hunt, when compared to the Kadee.

I am hoping to do a full rake test next week. If I find that the Hunt coupling is too close, the simple solution is to ease one of them out of the NEM socket by 0.5-1.0mm or so, holding it in place with a dab of PVA - so they could be removed later.

(Note to Hunt. Do a range of NEM types with different lengths - akin to the Kadee #17-20)

I've also replaced the T/L hook on the lead wagon with a shorter hook that I found in my spares box.

(Note to Accurascale - use shorter hooks!)

(Pic later)

I've probably saved about a 1/2-3/4 wagon length over the set by using Hunt instead of the supplied T/Ls.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

13 hours ago, newbryford said:

Hunt magnetic couplings have been purchased and delivered for the PCAs. As above -this is instead of using the supplied Instanters for ease of railing/removing at exhibitions.

They are the NEM ultra-close type.

When fitted they are virtually touching buffers.

I did wonder that if this was too close, but initial tests with a rake of showed no issues when pushing/pulling by hand over a Peco medium radius crossover/reverse curve - which would be the worst case on my layout.

Original tension lock. And that's with the loops touching - the gap is greater when in full tension (see below note to A/S)

hunt3.jpg.d56b58c5e522ba5e48bfe7ef3c205b1f.jpg

Hunt coupling on straight.

hunt2.jpg.ee7966f71dc0e147ecced583766693f6.jpg

Hunt on reverse curve. Note buffer compression. With short wagons such as these, mediums *should* present no problems.

hunt1.jpg.2ff18cc0e567041ff34a255fd14d6b4b.jpg

As my set of  PCAs will not be shunted/uncoupled and I want them to be visible to the public on one side (the graffiti side) at show, I had to think about how I would accommodate this so I could run the set on the inner or outer circuit.

Most of my "freight" locos have wire loops for tension locks and the end of rakes have (or are slowly acquiring) flashing tail lights. i.e the lead wagon has a T/L for the loco wire loop and the last wagon has a cosmetic Instanter in the case of the PCAs

As the Hunt couplings are "handed" A & B with the magnets, it isn't as easy as swapping over the first and last wagons.

The solution is fairly simple.

Wagon 1 is T/L and Kadee #18. Wagon 2 is Kadee #18 and Hunt "A" magnet.

Wagon 20 is Hunt "B" magnet and Kadee #18. Wagon 21 is Kadee #18 and cosmetic Instanter with tail light.

So when putting the rake on at a show, wagons 2-20 are placed on the track with the graffiti to the public side. The outer ends of 2-20 are Kadees.

Wagons 1 and 21 are then added, depending upon the rake being on the inner or outer circuit and which end the loco leads.

Yes - I could have used Kadee #18s throughout, but the Hunt are cheaper and less obtrusive than the Kadee. And there's no slack in the Hunt, when compared to the Kadee.

I am hoping to do a full rake test next week. If I find that the Hunt coupling is too close, the simple solution is to ease one of them out of the NEM socket by 0.5-1.0mm or so, holding it in place with a dab of PVA - so they could be removed later.

(Note to Hunt. Do a range of NEM types with different lengths - akin to the Kadee #17-20)

I've also replaced the T/L hook on the lead wagon with a shorter hook that I found in my spares box.

(Note to Accurascale - use shorter hooks!)

(Pic later)

I've probably saved about a 1/2-3/4 wagon length over the set by using Hunt instead of the supplied T/Ls.

Cheers,

Mick

Great work as always Mick

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Full PCA rake test went well.

Admittedly over large radius points and curves.

A couple of minor tweaks required. Nothing unexpected.

The Kadees sit a little low in the NEM pockets of the PCAs. (They did look low against my height gauge anyway)

So the release pin fouled a point blade.

Instant solution is to bend the pin up a bit. I may look at the NEM pocket as it may be that the #18 coupler is a little loose in there, allowing it to droop.

The shorter T/L hook worked well. Although the loop on the loco was a bit short and the hook fouled the airpipe. This would have happened with the original long hook anyway. The loco loop was adjusted slightly.

Pickups on the tail lamp wagon need tweaking/running in - to be expected.

Hunt couplings - no issues whatsoever. No problems with buffers on a 3' radius curve with the buffers compressed a reasonable amount.

But otherwise - quite suited with the project. The close coupling is very pleasant on the eye!

NEC for their public debut  - here's hoping!

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2020 at 11:13, Robert Shrives said:

Good modelling, getting to grips with graffiti must be challenging - I use decals .  I recall a case in Bristol where some Parcels stock got a good repaint job - the individual was caught and the police reported he had model railway vehicles done as a trial - these appeared at his trail !  Mental health issues quoted but cannot recall out come, Bristol is still a total mess with almost every inch painted - I guess it stops rusting but that is the only good thing to say about it.     61016 !!

Robert    

Slightly OT, sorry Mick, but I think Bristol's graffiti problem is caused by Banksie who has "legitimised" it and all the other vandals see it as an invitation to do their worst.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Slightly OT, sorry Mick, but I think Bristol's graffiti problem is caused by Banksie who has "legitimised" it and all the other vandals see it as an invitation to do their worst.

Mike.

It's not just Bristol.......

Unfortunately, it is a feature of current day, but adds modelling interest.

At least the UK railway graffiti problem isn't as prevalent as it is in the US.

(Some examples will be on my US thread before long!)

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Trying to get some modelling on the go.

The HRA fleet has now entered the weathering shops.

First stage is some gentle interior/exterior airbrushing to remove the ex-works look.

Graffitio is being applied to quite a few - photos of them are relatively hard to come by, but a fellow DEMU member (Thanks Chris!) sent me a couple of videos to help. Still photos from the videos

UFO seems to be a popular tag with a few variations of it.

ufo1.jpg.f60df73533a052f2f4ae47d53c3d9dde.jpg

ufo2.jpg.242e2e866a9b969bbd3242a70b1af8ca.jpg

A few 0.7mm Posca paint pens have been purchased - including a silver one.

Once the graffiti is done, I'll dust the interiors with powder along with a bit more airbrushing on the outside.

Pics to follow soon.

And for some reason, I feel the need for a pair of Choppers.

They'll be perfectly at home on DL.

Suitable locos have already been sourced!

Flickr pic

20007 / 20205 - Peterborough

Loving the padlock and chain!

chain.JPG.594228ac0872aba184ba77cbcdcefc1e.JPG

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 18

22 hours ago, newbryford said:

Trying to get some modelling on the go.

The HRA fleet has now entered the weathering shops.

First stage is some gentle interior/exterior airbrushing to remove the ex-works look.

Graffitio is being applied to quite a few - photos of them are relatively hard to come by, but a fellow DEMU member (Thanks Chris!) sent me a couple of videos to help. Still photos from the videos

UFO seems to be a popular tag with a few variations of it.

ufo1.jpg.f60df73533a052f2f4ae47d53c3d9dde.jpg

ufo2.jpg.242e2e866a9b969bbd3242a70b1af8ca.jpg

A few 0.7mm Posca paint pens have been purchased - including a silver one.

Once the graffiti is done, I'll dust the interiors with powder along with a bit more airbrushing on the outside.

Pics to follow soon.

And for some reason, I feel the need for a pair of Choppers.

They'll be perfectly at home on DL.

Suitable locos have already been sourced!

Flickr pic

20007 / 20205 - Peterborough

Loving the padlock and chain!

chain.JPG.594228ac0872aba184ba77cbcdcefc1e.JPG

Bondage and English electric traction.....could be a new thing

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

The HRA tagging is under way.

A number have the simple "UFO" as per the above pics, but there are a few more with larger tags.

Base layer.

hrag8.jpg.ab4dc4fea9a2c7355b5ef320d63bcb0b.jpg

To this:

hrag3.jpg.ca89c5c1c8fe4fee61a8eed7f70b192d.jpg

Base layerhrag7.jpg.ad4427d0603c2d086efb4b8c7b8e79fe.jpg

ANd finished.

hrag1.jpg.5ed7607b94716aa956f17195e731ea69.jpg

A couple more:

hrag2.jpg.fafd6b00fa33a7a96387ad2a638af2a7.jpg

hrag4.jpg.e18902c621f4226e923ff55f8e8a992f.jpg

Base layers - final pics later.

hrag6.jpg.fc5bb6e59ee4c504703c894a565fed5e.jpg

hrag5.jpg.184228d610c0eb7498c5d5c1100752c9.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Not totally happy with this one yet.

(There is still some more to do on it anyway)

hrag12.jpg.19e0514cff6a85ec7a549fc8e9d6ae13.jpg

All the HRA tags are done using photos that I have seen on flickr.com , or from still of videos of HRA rakes.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, JDW said:

Thoughtfully supplied un-numbered too, to avoid duplication if you already have one.

I will neither confirm or deny

Edited by newbryford
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Tagging nearly done. Some more weathering will be applied to most of the set.

The wagon pictured above has a had a few extra details.

hrag13.jpg.7692e28ba6c31cc7cba5a2179bd66e9e.jpg

With this one, I brush painted the silver and then when dry, gently rubbed it with a fibre-glass brush to make it look a thinner spray over.

hrag14.jpg.91903d99a00dc524ef8bce4a9c80ea6b.jpg

I still have a few untagged and will save them for future examples as they appear.

(Continually checking HRA pics on flickr....)

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium

Not a lot to report.

Catching up with my 3x RTOV/DBSOs - 9701/2/3.

A few detail parts have been ordered for the Loram 20s today.

Pink addition to the roster on the way - hoping that the QC is good!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Southwich said:

Looking forward to seeing the 20s Mick! 

Kind regards,

Will

So am I Will.

I have the donor locos, but need to look at lighting options (20007 has 6 lights on the cab) and bogie sideframes amongst others.