Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

1 minute ago, newbryford said:

So am I Will.

I have the donor locos, but need to look at lighting options (20007 has 6 lights on the cab) and bogie sideframes amongst others.

A nice high function output decoder needed there! Fibre optics to do the lights I’m assuming? Will be a PITA but will be a stunning result!

Will

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Southwich said:

A nice high function output decoder needed there! Fibre optics to do the lights I’m assuming? Will be a PITA but will be a stunning result!

Will

SMDs should do the trick. No need for multifunction decoders - two outputs - one for white, one for

red!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The 20 project has stalled slightly (as in never got them out of the box...)

Next one on the go is a few more barrier vehicles.

6340 is an ex Mk1 BCK

6344 is ex Mk1 BG

6330 is ex Mk2 BFK

6346 is ex-Mk2 BSO

Suitable vehicles have been sourced.

They will most likely be done in the same was as 6392/6397 waaaaaaaaaay up thread with etched window blanks. edit; waaay up is on page 1&2 !

I had toyed with the idea of filling them in and then applying a final top layer of paper or 5 thou styrene (cut with my Silhouette cutter) as the raised panel, but the work involved in filling the windows and getting them smooth on the curved sides of a Mk1is a PITA. (as much as I like filling in windows on Mk2s, I try and avoid Mk1s like the plague)

So I'll revert to the same etch idea as 6392/6397 with a blank of the full size panel, but half-etched along the edges so it sits inside the window opening. The result is a strong and smooth solution as well as being easy to fit.

To prove the window sizes required, I'll cut blanks in 10 thou and test them against the models.

Next stage will be to get my friendly Corel Draw expert (Hi Les!) to draw them up for me in a suitable file format and send them to PPD. (They are a fairly simple rectangle - mostly with rounded corners - with the half etch along the sides

Plan is to get a few more made and make them available for sale to cover my development costs. PM me if interested.

In the meantime, I've already started stripping down the base models for 6340/6344. 6330/6346 will be next.

20201108_234545c.jpg.bf08210db1f4a2edca48cdb0ec3b4ae8.jpg

edit - typo - ta Phil Mac

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• newbryford changed the title to Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - raising the barrier!

Looking good there Mick! I'll certainly have to join you on those Mk2 Window Blanks, as these two will need something to run with at the other end - Mk2 BFK 6330 was a long term Laira Stewart until it's recent use with ROG (6348 in GWT Green was produced with a set of your Mk1 blanks by the way!). 

IMG_4519.jpg

IMG_4526.jpg

IMG_9021.jpg

IMG_9157.jpg

Edited by surfsup
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have managed to accidentally break a Bachmann Mk2 into two pieces - lengthways!

But all is not lost - should have pics on the next update here.

Edited by newbryford
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

My usual method of modifying stuff is to paint strip before removing detail, but as so much detail was to be cut away, I decided to do this before paint stripping.

In the case of 6340/6344, the Replica shells are quite strong and quite happily withstood the rigours of cutting and filing before paint strip

(Via my usual 93% or so IPA bath)

1453683502_63406346.jpg.b741d5412fd707ce6f6a4b00a149c2d9.jpg

312226779_63446340.jpg.e6398c4736f8df6d6c64072fbb3639c4.jpg

One of the Mk2s decided to be a bit more fragile and split above the corridor opening - at both ends. It probably wasn't helped by the wresting match involved in removing the corridor connection mouldings.

Once it is partially reassembled with the roof, I'll add an intermediate brace at the bottom and fillet behind the upper roof line before filling in the doorway properly - which will bring the end back up to full strength

6330a.jpg.65196355d1baa3e5da26a0faa981cde9.jpg

The shell is very weak at this point and the other shell already has a crack above the opening- not visible in this photo. This shows the water filler points being flush plated over as 6346 is. (6330 above still has the filler points as of late 2020)

6346.jpg.385b9a489bcc94a8e83c737d4077ce2d.jpg

Doing barriers isn't just simply a case of filling in all the windows.

There are the odd ones still left in place - usually the guards door. Some doors are sealed with handles removed. Some double doors have only one handle, filler pipes and lighting connectors removed or altered. Footboards are another prominent item to look out for.

All part of the modelling fun.

I just need to spend an hour or two finalising my etched blank drawings before sending them off to one of the Liverpool Lime St crew who has kindly offered to convert them into a suitable drawing file type for the etching company. 

In the meantime, I'll also start chopping away at the underframe detail on these four as barriers usually have minimal equipment - more reference to photos.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

There hasn't been too much happening on the yellow bench as I'm awaiting better/warmer weather to do some airbrushing. And the motivation to draw up the barrier coach etches.

In the meantime - if you want some more graffiti - check out my US workbench.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Steadfast said:

The Mendip stuff is pretty heavily done these days. I'm planning on doing Pink Panther (19882) on my JHAs

Jo

Some of the Arcow/Rylstone rakes are quite well tagged now.

A set passed me at work today, but I couldn't wangle a long lunch to see them being shunted into Arcow.

They will appear again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

For those that haven't seen my US tagging (see the link in the sig below) - here's an example.

ar5.jpg.ec085646a763615eb2b2f4f05283373e.jpg

Compared to a Revolution MMA - the autorack is to a smaller scale!

ar6.jpg.d7e905abfb31c941333813923bfaf24f.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been a bit quiet on here, but with exhibitions potentially happening again soon, now is time to shake off the CBA attitude and get on with some modelling.

So - taking a leaf out of a politician's speech, without giving anything away:

Good progress has been made on some long term projects and a couple of short term ones are also nearing completion.

Some mid-term stuff is also moving along nicely and will hopefully take a major step tomorrow if I get to chat with the right person.................

Watch this space!

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Phil Mc said:

Picked a nice easy masking job there then !  :P

cheers,

Phil.

It tested my sanity.

But at least the dark grey wash required for the air filters will cover up some of the dodgy line!

Edited by newbryford
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/05/2021 at 22:46, newbryford said:

Four of the mid-term projects took a major step forward today.

blanks.jpg.ff7698e8c66daf1c9d7b9a9dccb0fdca.jpg

Order placed with the etchers.

Sit back for 3-4 weeks..........

• Like 2