Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

• RMweb Premium

Now that Hornby have announced Mk2e's (along with last year's Bachmann 2f''s) I may be able to obtain a few cheaper TSO's for chopping!

I purchased a Serco liveried 08417 and the correct transfers from Precision last month, but I guess it'll be awhile before the yellow Hornby 08417 hits the shops, so that's another yellow project to start.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Quick phone pic of mine. Have seen a shot of Alex Carpenter's finished model - looks ace! Come on Mick get finishing ;-)

A

i know alex's looks stunning (pic in the next batch of class 70 thread)

mine was rushed, i think i will lightly weather mine at some point to hide the roughness!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Link to prototype mod; http://www.flickr.com/photos/turners_pics/11172466936/

A few minutes with 40 thou plasticard and some Evergreen 4031 and this is the result. The main square is 7.5mm cut at an angle.

The cooler boxes have been fitted and painted.

post-408-0-62032700-1387237210_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-73266100-1387237223_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

99666 - I had already drilled out for the handrail and door handle, but these were filled in again, along with the door joint. The footboard has also been removed.

attachicon.gifDSCF7381c.jpg

Note - this mod has been carried out on three of the four doors. Haven't yet decided on how to blank the window - it is recessed. I'm tempted to use Shawplan laserglaze.

Here's a better link to the prototype 99666. Both windows are so treated on the other side.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91143980@N08/11315045973/in/photolist-ieSyXx

Just noticed that I need to blank off the grill above the door also.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

The new headlight on the 31 needs a LED and there's not a lot of room for it. I resorted to grinding a small amount from the floor casting and filing a similar amount from under the cab moulding.

attachicon.gifUTU12.jpg

attachicon.gifUTU13.jpg

Due to the 31 having Hornby's peculiar negative common, I decided to wire the headlight (and the one at the other end) directly to the 8 pin plug white and yellow leads.

And a couple of layers of paint later

attachicon.gifUTU2 010RM2.jpg

Next up will be UTU2 itself - 62482, ex 4-REP driving car. A bit more complicated than filling in a couple of windows (and not yellow), but don't worry, I'll get back to simpler things later!

Cheers,

Mick

Hi mike,

really nice job on the 31 network rail loco im looking to do the same and was wondering what make of loco you started with and where I can get the detailing kit from or have you plans you could send me many thanks and keep up the good work look forward to seeing more

• RMweb Premium

Hi mike,

really nice job on the 31 network rail loco im looking to do the same and was wondering what make of loco you started with and where I can get the detailing kit from or have you plans you could send me many thanks and keep up the good work look forward to seeing more

Hi Chris, the post above the one you've quoted has all the details for the donor 31 and the parts used. post#10

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Silver is the new yellow red blue

60066 is apparently being painted up to replace Tata liveried 60099. This'll tie in nicely with plans to do 67026 or 67029.......

Cheers,

Mick

The airbrush has been in action.

post-408-0-92125900-1387501514_thumb.jpg

Awaiting black grilles and transfers.

67029 & 82146

post-408-0-53824300-1387501535_thumb.jpg

These will carry the newer DB version for the Management train. Transfers from Precision Decals

Orange/yellow/black is the new silver yellow red blue

post-408-0-45482900-1387501571_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick ,

Looking nice apart from the prototype and the colour scheme !

And here I thought I was the only person from AYR MRG who was up at this time of the morning ! I am at charnock at 2:47 and Stevie seems to have posted at 03:32 in Ayrshire ! Strange - I didn't remember leaving a different time zone ....

Mike b

Hi Mick ,

Looking nice apart from the prototype and the colour scheme !

And here I thought I was the only person from AYR MRG who was up at this time of the morning ! I am at charnock at 2:47 and Stevie seems to have posted at 03:32 in Ayrshire ! Strange - I didn't remember leaving a different time zone ....

Mike b

Hi Mike

Not a different time zone (yet) You've just put on the wrong specks, it reads 02.32.

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick

Cracking job on the 70.

Can I please ask, which make of silver paint did you use on the others?

Regards

Stephen

The silver is Alclad ALC101 laquer. The warning yellow, DBS grey and Colas colours are Phoenix.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Mick

Are you getting decals made for all of the grills Bachman painted on the 70 model?

I was thinking about it. Small rectangular grilles on flat panels.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

Mick

Are you getting decals made for all of the grills Bachman painted on the 70 model?

im going to measure them up when they arrive in the country and get precision decals to add them to the existing set

there doesnt look to be as many on the colas one as the FL version but whats not to say they wont add more when they arrive, i noticed the data plate is on the door on the colas one rather than on the cabside

• RMweb Premium

im going to measure them up when they arrive in the country and get precision decals to add them to the existing set

there doesnt look to be as many on the colas one as the FL version but whats not to say they wont add more when they arrive, i noticed the data plate is on the door on the colas one rather than on the cabside

I think Pete is referring to some of the printed grilles (rather than the myriad of warning labels) that are on the Bachy model

The grey ones in this pic - http://www.flickr.com/photos/66403187@N06/9443375771/in/photolist-fotLBD-foPJFo-9oV27o-feWwvr-cH5b15-hkWzN6-hKqrMw-bNSASH-gXvm3n-hi667Y-a1DqqE-azDevK-foyULw-aHhW3v-aHhWMX-aHi5Pr-aMi4Zn-hhSBcd-hToJTG-hToK8Q-hhRP93-aiC3sc-fguNtD-c5iF4y-eC65dQ-c9Jyr9-eNJ2TR-bEXxNt-8Cwo3P-9PakBp-bRj2wF-fkCj7w-bpbmkc-e2zqpn-9H6JzA-8d1fgW-hcvCPp-bp5Gqv-7y8SWF-atd4Pj-8KT5FM-f6DWJF-eREUPm-havVcg-9gp8Cy-9c5VTB-cBweG1-7E7AwA-hjsDXi-hifRU4-amFph3

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

The 60 is coming along nicely - the black grilles set it off well.

post-408-0-29221000-1387666680_thumb.jpg

After varnish, I'll probably apply the orange cantrail stripe and then leave it until I can obtain the Drax branding.

The prototype 67029 has a refelective stripe along the bottom edge. The body moulding has a "step down"  along the lower edge under the cabside so I've also put in the thinnest of black edges to line up with the cast chassis. Pity they aren't too visible in this pic!

post-408-0-00006500-1387666719_thumb.jpg

I still have to modify the TDM connector on the front, as 029 has deeper than normal connector box on one side.

82146 is also ready for a coat of laquer- the "streaks" by the side door handles are nowhere near as visible in normal lighting

post-408-0-28813300-1387666737_thumb.jpg

Next up will be a layer of varnish before applying the transfers. (70801 will also be varnished at the same time)

In the meantime, work still progresses on the yellow stuff - 99666/977985/977974/977868/1256 are nearly there. Pics soon.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Mick

Are those streak marks from the paint stripping from the door handles of the DVT showing up in the silver paint or is that just a trick of the light in the picture?

Pete

Trick of the light - it's only a phone pic and the lighting on the back side of my shed isn't brilliant.

Cheers,

Mick