Stewarts Lane 'Electric Loco. Shed'

Shedmaster

post-7088-0-87106800-1501977140.jpg

Hi all, Good Morning !

Looking at the above, I've been thinking about the way forward with the middle of the building...

Rather than mess about with detatchable 'parts' and leaving bit's off to squint through, I'm thinking it might be best to just make a fully featured central section ?

This would be done in the same way as I have made each end, but then only removing one of the three sections for access during photography, depending on where I wanted to 'pose' the vehicle inside and what I wanted on show behind it.

My original idea was based on what I see with architectural models, but don't now think leaving whole segments 'out' is going to work very well here?

I'm already planning to leave certain windows out such as those at the rear end of the building for the all important 'looking inside at street level' so, I'm hoping for some good, clear pics eventually as if you were standing inside there yourself, next to your favourite machine ! :boast:

post-7088-0-05769000-1501979081.jpg

TTFN,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Edited by Shedmaster
  • Like 12

Great to see you back Mr Shedmaster and making progress with your excellent project.

Always enjoy visiting your thread and seeing those lovely 60s on shed!

Hi Alex,

How's you matey, long time no see?

I always think of you whenever I do anything with the 60's here, as with your project, they look just right sitting on shed, along with the 33's and 73's.

I'm looking at leaving the 60's alone now and axing some 67's instead, to try and cull the 'GM' invasion ! Now where did that royal pair get to....

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Just a brief update for Stew Lane, that is progress with the 'central section' of the building.

post-7088-0-41419200-1507454278.jpg

I've gone for the idea of finishing the main wall and roof sections before cladding them as per the previous sections. This is great news as when this is done I can look at getting the all important windows made up and fitted before signing the building off for painting and giving it some identity.

Each section is designed to be removable now as otherwise, I won't get a camera inside, more on this later...

post-7088-0-96201300-1507454358.jpg

post-7088-0-52319400-1507455128.jpg

The 'A' girders are located in the floor locations and then the 'I' beams are simply slotted through and cut to length, then when each piece is confirmed to be sitting correctly, i.e straight and level, I hold it in situ with 'blue-tak' and a small drop of plastic weld is added. This is deadly stuff if used in excess, a lesson I've taken many years to learn ! At this point, I walked well away and just let the thing dry/bond of it's own accord. When the walls and roof sections are added, this will give a lot of strength to hold everything together and enable 'handling' to remove/replace sections as required, although, I wouldn't be wanting to drop any of these sections!

So, finally,

post-7088-0-44318500-1507454857.jpg

This is our latest arrival on shed, the NCiM 47 799 'Prince Henry' from Bachmann. The Loco. is in for fitting of a 21-pin decoder and evaluation for later tweaks and mods, such as a black headcode box!

That's all for now,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 14

Hi All,

Just a brief update for Stew Lane, that is progress with the 'central section' of the building.

attachicon.gifCentral Girders Top.jpg

I've gone for the idea of finishing the main wall and roof sections before cladding them as per the previous sections. This is great news as when this is done I can look at getting the all important windows made up and fitted before signing the building off for painting and giving it some identity.

Each section is designed to be removable now as otherwise, I won't get a camera inside, more on this later...

attachicon.gifCentral Girders.jpg

attachicon.gif9091.jpg

The 'A' girders are located in the floor locations and then the 'I' beams are simply slotted through and cut to length, then when each piece is confirmed to be sitting correctly, i.e straight and level, I hold it in situ with 'blue-tak' and a small drop of plastic weld is added. This is deadly stuff if used in excess, a lesson I've taken many years to learn ! At this point, I walked well away and just let the thing dry/bond of it's own accord. When the walls and roof sections are added, this will give a lot of strength to hold everything together and enable 'handling' to remove/replace sections as required, although, I wouldn't be wanting to drop any of these sections!

So, finally,

attachicon.gifStub Road 47.jpg

This is our latest arrival on shed, the NCiM 47 799 'Prince Henry' from Bachmann. The Loco. is in for fitting of a 21-pin decoder and evaluation for later tweaks and mods, such as a black headcode box!

That's all for now,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Quality!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bruce,

Nice to hear from you and I hope you are well......

With 47 768 revving up and generally creating a racket, I then ran the new 67's just afterwards and they seemed really lifeless without a sound chip !

I reckon I'll put photography lessons and Class 67 sound chips on my Christmas list..........

Funnily enough.....our 37 109 worked the last booked turn out of 'Manor Lane TMD' before I sold the layout, seen here with the EWS Inspection Saloon :

attachicon.gifQXV Inspection Saloon 999504 (3).jpg

...and it was the very same 37 109 that was the first Loco. to start testing here on the new layout to test the DCC system several years later !

It has been a very long wait.......

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Hi Shed, 

Please can you tell me if this is a Bachmann saloon with the first door re-positioned to represent the correct configuration for 999504 or is it a kit built model?

Thanks

David

Hi Shed, 

Please can you tell me if this is a Bachmann saloon with the first door re-positioned to represent the correct configuration for 999504 or is it a kit built model?

Thanks

David

Hi David,

Thanks for your interest in my project, in answer to your question...

Our EWS Inspection Saloon 999504 is an A1 Models brass kit, grafted onto a Hornby 50ft LMS 'parcels'(?) vehicle, with the under frame unmodified apart from the addition of brass retractable ladders on the sides. The vehicle was completely painted into EWS ex-works livery.

The interior was never fitted, the saloon being used to dabble with an on-board camera which worked fairly well, but fell out of favour when I realised I'd have to cart a TV set to and from exhibitions along with the layout and all the stock - that was in the days I ran stuff at shows, including the NEC at Warley in 2004 ! How time flies.......now we have Go-Pro's to do the camera work !

I hope this answers your question. In closing, I would LOVE one of the Bachmann EWS saloon's to grace the layout - but I never worked with it or even saw it at Stew Lane, the NSE 'Hastings' Inspection Saloon however, would be a most excellent addition here...anyone listening in Barwell ?

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Hi David,

Thanks for your interest in my project, in answer to your question...

Our EWS Inspection Saloon 999504 is an A1 Models brass kit, grafted onto a Hornby 50ft LMS 'parcels'(?) vehicle, with the under frame unmodified apart from the addition of brass retractable ladders on the sides. The vehicle was completely painted into EWS ex-works livery.

The interior was never fitted, the saloon being used to dabble with an on-board camera which worked fairly well, but fell out of favour when I realised I'd have to cart a TV set to and from exhibitions along with the layout and all the stock - that was in the days I ran stuff at shows, including the NEC at Warley in 2004 ! How time flies.......now we have Go-Pro's to do the camera work !

I hope this answers your question. In closing, I would LOVE one of the Bachmann EWS saloon's to grace the layout - but I never worked with it or even saw it at Stew Lane, the NSE 'Hastings' Inspection Saloon however, would be a most excellent addition here...anyone listening in Barwell ?

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Hi Shed. 

Thanks for your reply. I thought perhaps it was a kit, albeit a very similar model to the Bachmann saloon, not that I profess to being any sort of expert in the subject. I found a lovely photo of 999504 whilst still under BR ownership in InterCity livery and really fancy building one for my layout. I once had a ride around Kent in the NSE inspection saloon whilst working for Eurostar, motive power for the day was 33103 and in truth I spent more time in the loco cab than in the saloon. There is a rather nice kit available of the NSE saloon 975025 produced by MARC models www.marcmodels.co.uk

Whilst on the subject of Eurostar, I tipped off an old boss of mine who's also an avid railway modeller as to your layout and thread on RM Web as he worked at Stewarts Lane for many years before joining Eurostar. I'm sure he'll enjoy looking through your photo's as i'm sure it will bring back many happy memories. 

All the best

David 

post-21780-0-60752700-1509660485_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Always glad to see this epic project progressing again.

I've taken more interest in the London side of , what was " mainline " freight.

Looking at SL, I can't work out why it had a lot of infrastructure machines in the period , as it would appear the nearest yards used for trips were at Stratford, hoo junction, three bridges and tonbridge ?

The actual loco shed would make an interesting model and the scenic breaks in that urban environment would be fairly easy....hmmmm....layout idea 11233....

Hi Shed. 

Thanks for your reply. I thought perhaps it was a kit, albeit a very similar model to the Bachmann saloon, not that I profess to being any sort of expert in the subject. I found a lovely photo of 999504 whilst still under BR ownership in InterCity livery and really fancy building one for my layout. I once had a ride around Kent in the NSE inspection saloon whilst working for Eurostar, motive power for the day was 33103 and in truth I spent more time in the loco cab than in the saloon. There is a rather nice kit available of the NSE saloon 975025 produced by MARC models www.marcmodels.co.uk

Whilst on the subject of Eurostar, I tipped off an old boss of mine who's also an avid railway modeller as to your layout and thread on RM Web as he worked at Stewarts Lane for many years before joining Eurostar. I'm sure he'll enjoy looking through your photo's as i'm sure it will bring back many happy memories. 

All the best

David 

Hi David,

Thank You for your superb picture...My one and only trip out on the NSE Saloon/Gin Palace was from Acton Mainline to Amersham LUL with 33109 in charge ! This was in 1996(?) and I know that pictures exist and some video....I was a 'Trainman D' in those days. It was most interesting to see the LUL staff board at some station or other with their version of a track circuit clip, which was a huge wooden bar type thing ?

I can confirm that we have a MARCS Models kit in our works here but as with any railway works, 'your model is important to us, please be patient, you are #9 in the que'.

The last time I played with anything 'Eurostar' related on the real railway was when 73118 and the other one used to come to HG for their 'A' exams and I had to move them about...

I very much hope your old boss enjoys the project, maybe he could teach me a thing or two about the place ? I'm definitely all ears....

Thanks,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Always glad to see this epic project progressing again.

I've taken more interest in the London side of , what was " mainline " freight.

Looking at SL, I can't work out why it had a lot of infrastructure machines in the period , as it would appear the nearest yards used for trips were at Stratford, hoo junction, three bridges and tonbridge ?

The actual loco shed would make an interesting model and the scenic breaks in that urban environment would be fairly easy....hmmmm....layout idea 11233....

Hi rob D2,

Thank You for your post and continued interest in the Stewarts Lane project.

I'm sorry to say I didn't understand what you were saying with regards to the infrastructure machines of the period ? and, do you mean the actual loco shed as in the original steam shed ?

There was a book that a friend of mine had many years ago, detailing the engine sheds of the Southern Region. It had a detailed description of Hither Green in it with proper side elevation drawings and I cannot find it anywhere, don't even know what it was called, but wondered if it had details for Stew Lane in it too ?

I'll be at Warley this year so hoping to find this if at all possible...

Thanks,

All the best,

Shed.

Hi rob D2,

Thank You for your post and continued interest in the Stewarts Lane project.

I'm sorry to say I didn't understand what you were saying with regards to the infrastructure machines of the period ? and, do you mean the actual loco shed as in the original steam shed ?

There was a book that a friend of mine had many years ago, detailing the engine sheds of the Southern Region. It had a detailed description of Hither Green in it with proper side elevation drawings and I cannot find it anywhere, don't even know what it was called, but wondered if it had details for Stew Lane in it too ?

I'll be at Warley this year so hoping to find this if at all possible...

Thanks,

All the best,

Shed.

Hi,

Yes, what I meant was all the 33/73/37s based there that I've seen photos of ( such as the hellfire 37167) but there wasn't any local sidings for them to work out of that I can tell ?

Lots of infrastructure trains passing that way, but none originating there ?

Hi,

Yes, what I meant was all the 33/73/37s based there that I've seen photos of ( such as the hellfire 37167) but there wasn't any local sidings for them to work out of that I can tell ?

Lots of infrastructure trains passing that way, but none originating there ?

Hi,

Sorry, I was having a dumb moment, imagining tampers and on-track plant lined up there.

I just wish I'd paid more attention back in those days...with rows and rows of decent traction and other specialities !

Thanks,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Edited by Shedmaster
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Almost a year on from the last post, how are things going on this? Quality workmanship that i’d Love to see more of

Hi Everyone,

Just dropping in to say Thanks for your continued interest in this project, which believe it or not, IS still in full swing ! ( well, sort of... )

I've been focussing on a major new project to remove two large wooden sheds and the large wooden play house from our garden, to be replaced by one 18ft x 18ft BARN in their place. I kid you not, this thing is built of heavy duty structural timber with a tiled roof and will outlive me for sure !

This is a library picture but our doors are centred and the two windows are either side of it :

post-7088-0-37111400-1541521941.jpg

This new building replaces those previous ones and is divided into a workshop space and a family space, a wood burning stove will be installed though as a 2kw electric heater just makes the plugs warm with little other benefit !

So, 'Stewarts Lane' has a fantastic new home, proper pics to follow, but it is only this afternoon that I've got some work into the project again.

Aside from the building, the T&RS fleet have been getting some attention, with two 67's made ready for the Hattons RHTT set when it arrives here, having been putting the kids trainset to good use as a testing ground!

I'll be going to Warley this year so hope to meet some RMWebbers again, with any luck, will have some pics of progress before then. 

That's all for now,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 9

• 8 months later...

SL19_(1).jpg.56ce5fc501a6e9a8d518718f2b4ae95a.jpg

Hi,

Just a line to say that as ever, there is plenty of activity here at 'Stew Lane', just nothing that's been published for a while!

The Electric Loco. Shed building is currently waiting a place in the paint booth, it's main structural elements are complete and ready for painting...this includes those iconic shed doors! When the main parts are painted, I'll be moving onto things like the gantry cranes etc... 

The main focus of late has been 'playing trains', acquiring the correct vehicles for my fleet and taking in some visitors for repairs etc...

Getting the 'right' support coaches to go with the kettles such as 'Scotsman' and 'Tornado', Loco's I've had a lot of fun working with over the years, has been high on the agenda recently as well as preparing for a mass clearout of all the stuff that is now deemed 'out of period'!

SL19_(3).jpg.fdbe2b708c167c6fc460c4af6aa5cd11.jpg

The latest arrival has been a rake of six Bachmann Mk2 coaches, to replicate the 'Rail Magazine Ramsgate Day Out' special that I worked as a Trainman 'D' in the very early years of my career ( 1995 ) ...I just need a 47805 in Intercity livery and a 37201 'Saint Margaret' in BR Civil Engineers 'Dutch' to complete this.

Our EWS 47790 is seen during commissioning of these coaches...

SL19_(4).jpg.3adb85d377ffd5a6c8e54b33bcdd8c3e.jpg

That's all for now,

More soon,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 17

• 5 weeks later...