Stewarts Lane 'Electric Loco. Shed'

Shedmaster

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Jack P said:

Apologies for the long time bump - but in your research you didn't happen across the length of the Stewarts Lane Turntable did you?

Looking in Hawkins & Reeve's book, they don't quote a length for the modern TT, but the scaled plan indicates it was 70'. Given that after the 1934 works there were 170 locos shedded there, it seems unlikely anything shorter would have sufficed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oldddudders said:

Looking in Hawkins & Reeve's book, they don't quote a length for the modern TT, but the scaled plan indicates it was 70'. Given that after the 1934 works there were 170 locos shedded there, it seems unlikely anything shorter would have sufficed. 

Fantastic, we reckon in the late 40's early 50's it would be said 70' TT then?

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/10/2021 at 21:18, Jack P said:

Apologies for the long time bump - but in your research you didn't happen across the length of the Stewarts Lane Turntable did you?

Hi Jack P,

Apologies for late response to this but no, this is not something I ever looked at....

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Some fantastic detail in there !

Bet your memories are really stirred by it 

Hi Rob D2,

Many Thanks, glad you like it….

Yes, I do have plenty of fond memories of the place and the people I worked with down there. I think it will always be a sore point for me though how I never thought to take any pics back then, lols!

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

ps…In my excitement I forgot to add that the Class 40 shown in the pics was just visiting for a week or so, whilst en-route from GC Weathering back to its home depot.

Edited by Shedmaster
Class 40 visit
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, 37114 said:

Looks a lovely build, the weathering on the shed doors is excellent.

Hi,

Many Thanks for your kind words. The painting and weathering work is done by a very good friend of mine, although plans are in place for me to have some airbrushing tuition at some point next year.

Don’t worry though, I won’t be flooding eBay with ‘Professionally Weathered’ items anytime soon! Lol’s…

Cheers,

Shed.

4 hours ago, Shedmaster said:

Hi,

Just a line to wish everyone a Very Happy Christmas for 2021, here’s hoping that 2022 is better for everybody!

IMG_20201202_235154.jpg.864fb70a0bb5b19b59b92d7c69d7199a.jpg

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Merry Christmas Shed ! Agree on roundel design - I think they did RES like your 47 as well ( is that a Bachmann or Heljan ?)

I remember the flap when EWS asked readers of rail to design their  logo , the design companies got a bit precious about joe public doing that !

Edited by rob D2

7 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Merry Christmas Shed ! Agree on roundel design - I think they did RES like your 47 as well ( is that a Bachmann or Heljan ?)

I remember the flap when EWS asked readers of rail to design their  logo , the design companies got a bit precious about joe public doing that !

Hi,

Yes, Roundel did the RES livery as well, much to the dislike or puzzlement of many!

I can confirm that at Preston Royal Mail, they still have the signage on the buildings where the Mail trains used to be dealt with.

The RES 47 on Stewart’s Lane is a very confused ViTrains machine, as I keep changing my mind whether to sell it or not and all I seem to do is move it from one pile of boxes back to another!

As for RAIL readers being asked to design the EWS logo, on this occasion, what a fantastic idea I’ve always thought, although I know this contradicts the idea of trusting experts like Roundel to do this stuff. 

Cheers,

Shed.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

Just wanted to share a few pics with you from Stewarts Lane, from camera practice this evening...

33 207 'Earl Mountbatten of Burma' has been covering the depot shunt turn....

DMC_1420.JPG.8a61a538cf29272d72e0e4a287eb061a.JPG

33 207 'Earl Mountbatten of Burma' is paired with 33 201 for a civils trip working tomorrow...

DMC_1439.JPG.2a4de8dc02c61417dfde4e9b70056082.JPG

TDB975025 at home in between workings...

DMC_1454.JPG.82d31ddaf20a6a8bd282bbf889b2e967.JPG

60 001 'Steadfast' on shed after a hand wash & brush up...

DMC_1526.JPG.13734da38b015a74c203e66cd4e593a1.JPG

• Like 11