Looking for 4mm Peckett 'R1' or 'R2' (or 'W4') kits

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone point me in the direction of 4mm kits for the Peckett 'R1' or 'R2' (or 'W4') 0-4-0ST locomotive types? I'm looking to be able to build a model of 'George Jennings' that used to work the South Western Pottery line out of Parkstone station:

George Jennings

TIA

Ian

EDIT: added W4 to list of types, as it could be 'George Jennings' is a W4.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ian

I checked the MREmag Loco Database, but these locos do not appear to be listed. If you would like to check the list yourself, go to www.mremag.com, look to the left hand panel, and go into 'Articles'.

Brian Macdermott

Pecketts in 4mm of any type are rather thin on the ground and the only ones I know of are by Mercian and are all 0-6-0s. The precise type is available from Agenoria in 7mm, but was introduced after Pete Stamper stopped doing the 4mm kits so I fear that you're on your own.

Adam

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the replies. It seems I just can't seem to 'choose' prototypes that are easy can I? :rolleyes:

First it's 'Bonnie Prince Charlie' from Poole Docks, an RSH type that I understand has no kit, and now 'George Jennings' doesn't have one either. Typical. As I'm not up to scratchbuilding I fear I could be in for a long wait for kits or RTR for either :(

The only alternative would be to try the 3D modelling route. I might very well have a go at that at some point, bearing in mind I have to learn about it in order to do the Terrier project if that continues.

Perhaps expressing an interest to CSP may encourage them to move it further up the list. If they are being domne as a direct reduction etch :( then it may be done even quicker. Often when a kit supplier knows there are customers waiting and the effort required is equal then it is more likely to move up the list.

Then the other alternative is to move up to 7mm ;)

• RMweb Premium

There is another option of course. After I've got through my Terrier project (either successfully or otherwise), I could turn my attentions to designing a ready to run Peckett R1/R2 :paint: :crazy:

The locomotive 'George Jennings' was a W4 Peckett similar to Henry Cort, it is not available in 4mm but it was the last 7mm kit release by Pete Stamper so Roger of CSP may be interested.

I have been lucky enough to have collected some images of George Jennings in use on the South Western Potteries line and at the Parkstone interchange. I remember it being driven away on a low loader for use in on a small holding however the new owner failed to drain the boiler and the severe winter did its worst.

Trents of Wallisdown were instructed by the wife of the new owner to reduce it to 'no more than fit through a letterbox' and so a local celebrity was destroyed, somewhere I have a plate from the loco.

Tim

http://www.henrycort.net/35memorials_files/image013.jpg

I may be talking out of turn but Mercian do several examples of the Fox Walker 0-4-0 - a very similar design. In fact, Peckett bought Fox Walker and shared many similarities. I couldn't personally recommend Mercian though, as they have not answered any of my emails.

• RMweb Premium

The locomotive 'George Jennings' was a W4 Peckett similar to Henry Cort

The R1 and W4 look so d*mn similar, I'd be hard pressed to know whether George Jennings was one or the other, but to me it looks more like an R1. The various lists I've seen on t'internet of Peckett locos don't seem to mention George Jennings so I'd like to see some kind of official docs to verify which it is.

http://www.dorsetlife.co.uk/2009/10/lilliput%E2%80%99s-industrial-past/

This little known line has a few followers.

The pre-WW2 Ordnance Survey maps of the line are very useful and are available online, the keyword is Baden-Powell School.

Some of the original workers cottages are still extant but the trackbed is very difficult to follow. If modelling this line, you will need a B4 as this used to pick-up the wagons at Parkstone and dump the waste from Bournemouth MPD's water treatment plant - I believe that the sludge tenders were two old Beattie-types, ABS or SEF does something suitable.

Tim

I have a Peckett called 'Atlantic' I need to do that worked in S.Wales, that one seems to be a W4. The main difference I can see between the W4 and the R1 is the size of smokebox relative to other front end detail - its a lot smaller.

The NRM at York has the records of the Peckett company. I photographed the GA which is a lovely hand colouring of 1890, they also have all of the detail drawings.

I was trying to convince Chris at High Level he wants to do one with his love of small industrials :). A scratchbuilt P4 one exists that I have seen running on Clarendon, I was hoping it was a shootdown of a 7mm kit when i asked the owner but sadly not!

• RMweb Premium

I'd noticed the listings on the NRM website of the Peckett drawings and the like, so getting hold of those to draw a design up for a 4mm model wouldn't be a problem. I believe there are one or two W4s in preservation also. If, and it's a bit IF, I get the RTR Terrier done I'll make a promise here that the loco after will be an RTR Peckett W4, but don't hold your breath.

The quickest way to tell the Peckets groups apart is the top of the buffer beam to the running plate as the R group the buffer beam is higher than the running plate and on the W group they are level. Also the R group had 5' 3" wheelbase and the W group had 5' 6" wheelbase. but this in not so easy to tell.

The W4s shown in the link have bufferbeams above the level of the running plate as does the loco I believe is a W4.

http://www.martynbane.co.uk/peckett/locos.htm

• RMweb Premium

The detail differences even between members of the exact same type make clear visual identification very difficult. I think to know for sure one would need to check what Peckett listed a locomotive as based on its works number. There are R1s on that page with different chimneys, for instance. What precisely Peckett themselves used to define one type from another is what I'd like to know. Could be wheelbase, boiler, frames, or something else.

• 1 year later...

Hi. This is the first time that I have contributed to RMweb.

I think it was Jim, back in march 2012 was asking about Peckett 4 mm Kits. I have just finished test building the Peckett "E" Class and I am currently writing the instructions. The kit is the same as our "0" Gauge Kit. However, all my new kits have EM spacers. Fittings are all in lost wax brass. I will post a jpeg later this week.

The Peckett B1 and B3 are only awaiting the lost wax castings and will then be test built when they are to hand. Etches for the W 4 "Hercules" and "Henry Cort" are also to hand and the patterns are completed and awaiting casting.

Other new kits in the pipeline are the Hawthorne Leslie, "Ironside", etches complete, patterns being made, as we write, Hudswell Clarke, 0-4-0ST ex SHT and GWR 1142, etches to hand, patterns to be made next month. Kitson 0-4-0ST ex GWR 1338 is also awaiting patterns to complete as is GWR 1366 0-6-0PT.

For Southern & PD&SWJR fans A.S.Harris is ready and only requires the instructions to be completed. Earl of Mt Edgcumbe is currently being test built and will only require the instructions to be written before being ready for sale. I have already mentioned 0458 "Ironside"

I hope that this information clarifies the current production schedule for 2014 for CSP Models. Some of these dates may slip a little subject to hold ups in patterns and casting but hopefully we should be near to our target dates.

I have attached pics of A S Harris and the Peckett "E" Class. They are only the test builds. Roger Slade CSP Modelspost-22099-0-05565200-1393279674_thumb.jpgpost-22099-0-36512000-1393279860_thumb.jpg

Archived