Drewry Lane - Restoring a few "lost" photos

lapford34102

Well Drewry has now gone off for a well earned rest. Must start by saying many  thanks to Mike, Tim and Paul for helping operating the layout at various times over the weekend as well as being excellent if somewhat raucous company.

Was mildly alarmed at being down one of the school's alcoves but that worked to our advantage as we had bags of space to operate, chat to people and drink tea.

Had a number of people reminding us of previous shows including a couple of gents who remember seeing it on it's first serious outing so  thanks to all those who took the time to come and chat with us, it made the weekend. I did though have one of those gents who viewed the layout from a little distance away, never said anything but writing away on a notepad, love to know what he was putting down, then again maybe not...!

Steve, you're welcome, pleased to give you the opportunity. There'll be a controller waiting at Shenfield... :-)

So whether this is The End or just a time off may I say  to all those  who have commented on here or I've spoken to at Shows plus the Ex. managers who have invited it along many thanks for your support.

Cheers

Stu

• Like 3

Thanks Stu, I've put Shenfield in my diary :-) Didn't realise how much pressure you're under operating until I looked up and there were people watching me! You can see the beads of sweat on my brow in the photo's my partner took!

​Steve.

Edited by sb67
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi,

It was about two years ago Drewry was put out to grass though it feels a deal longer. Paul Wade generously stored it for me while I mulled over its future so  I hmmm’d and haaa’d over what to do and did precisely nothing. In the meantime other projects took over and that was when I found I quite liked building track. I would class myself as amateur in this department as there are those far more proficient.  But I did enjoy it and managed to even complete a single slip just to see if I could. I used Templot which is a powerful tool though I struggle to get my head round much more than creating  a simple template but that’s me and certainly not Templot’s problem. Stumbling my way through various bits found that there were templates for Peco points on there and a somewhat crazy idea occurred to me.

One comment Drewry got was “nice layout, shame about the track” and that eventually led to Sheepcroft but it stuck. Now you’re probably way in front on me now but the idea of replacing the Code 100 streamline with Code 75 bullhead using handbuilt points appealed as a project.  It might be seen as a pointless (!) exercise but I was curious to see if I could pull it off. So here’s a couple of pics from the early stages showing the track removed and the points in their spaces. The grey bases are thin card to the rail heights to match the Peco bullhead which is to be used for the plain track.

Cheers

Stu

1444887995_Drewry20-1.jpg.3deb72fef7ce3dd49f7ce5fd35277ee4.jpg

840896257_Drewry20-3.jpg.b31f533848d0ea3c95c1bfe957e858d6.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• lapford34102 changed the title to Drewry Lane - Relayed

Hi Stu, great to see Drewry getting a new makeover, always one of my favourite layouts I'll look forward to seeing it progress. I'm sure it will look fantastic using Bullhead track. 

I'd be interested to know how you built the points, are you going to use the original switches to operate and change polarity? 

• Like 2

Hi,

Steve, the points are copperclad built the same way I did the Sheepcroft ones. Took the Templot Peco short rad template and played around with the sleeper spacing on the template, something I have managed to master. When I printed off the templates realised I could have done better so taped a bit of bullhead alongside to help with the sleeper spacing. There some obvious compromises if you look but ballasting up does help. The previous pics were from about 10 days ago so here's some recent ones. With less than 2 metres of plain track to lay that didn't tale too long. I used the original wiring and switches. No problem on 4 points, straight swop but one was about 5mm different in tiebar placing so a bit of work there.

Then a lot of testing which can best be described as educational. Points are built to OO-SF. If doing this again I'd find some standard with looser tolerances as some stuff do not like it so there'll be some limits on what runs but that won't be a problem. Some stock will also need the back-to-backs adjusting.

A few pics showing the laid track - must have had the shakes! - and then with ballasting.

Stu

252802940_Drewry20-6.jpg.fe990804b45dfef03a652a3e084698a4.jpg

1236929587_Drewry20-7.jpg.53dc498e421db07f594dc2b5a3f5970c.jpg

1388895530_Drewry20-10.jpg.92bd6c9a8c8449c26e4e2a9c62f57125.jpg

Drewry 20-9.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Love this layout - I think it would scale up to 7mm well too - but I feel I'd have trouble replicating this standard!

I hope the comment about the track when it was code 100 was made in the right way - by a friend - otherwise it sounds pretty rude to me. Yes you have definitely improved the look with the new track - but it was impressive with the code 100 too.

and I've only just realised you are responsible for Portwey too - another fantastic small space layout.

Thanks for sharing - lots of inspiration in your work.

Regards,

James

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi again,

Can I ask - has Shelfe Street got a thread?

I can search lots of references but I don't seem to be able to find a thread of its own?

Do you have a pic of it?

Regards,

james

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jamest said:

I think it would scale up to 7mm well too

Thanks James and to those who have taken time to click something.

A 7mm one would be worth the effort and I'd like to see one. Plenty of suitable stock around now.

Have a go James, there's nothing exceptional about what I've done, just a collection of ideas shamelessly borrowed from others.

11 hours ago, jamest said:

I hope the comment about the track when it was code 100 was made in the right way - by a friend - otherwise it sounds pretty rude to me.

More in the form of banter from an ad-hoc committee of three friends (I hope!), two of whom have clicked the like button for this. I took it more of a challenge than anything else, hence Sheepcroft.

Like some I seem to suffer from serial layout builder syndrome but I found I wanted to hang to Drewry, I was out and about with it for 8 years at shows big and small so has some significance for me. Shelfe Street has now been moved on. It was done in a bit of a hurry and could have done with being a bit wider and a deal longer but the trackplan had a lot to commend it. The pics were in this thread but like a number from earlier on got Photobucket'ed.  If pics would be any use let me know and I'll send some.

This sort of stunt invariably causes some damage so that needs to be sorted plus I need to blend the track weathering in with what was already there. That'll take a bit of creativity and artistic flair so if you know anyone with those skills you'd better let me know ;-)

Cheers

Stu

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, lapford34102 said:

If pics would be any use let me know and I'll send some.

Hi Stu,

I'd love to see some photos of Shelfe Street - I've done a search (including a google one) and I don't seem to be able to find any - only glowing references!

There are some of the entry point in this thread, and some more of the other end I think, but I'd like to see the track plan if I could.

This sort of thing is right up my street - not too big a project - you can concentrate on detail - you don't need a massive stud of locos and wagons - and you can run a variety of stock and change the road vehicles to suit different eras.

cheers,

James

• Like 1

The track's looking great Stu, I'm going to have to have a go a building some points some time! How did you get on with the crossing V's did you file them down or were they ready built?

I'll look forward to seeing some photo's with stock on there and hopefully, if you've got plans to show it again, see Drewry at a show sometime in the not too distant future. I've definitely got a soft spot for it as having a play with it at Erith  kick started me into building something myself. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the damage to fencing etc repaired and the buildings given a bit of attention it's now all gone back together plus there's been some tweaking of the groundwork so now it's looking reasonably respectable.

I've been trying for a couple of days to get some half decent photo's but with limited success. Not exactly the most well lit room either natural or artificial and my phone camera and ancient digital one don't make the job any easier but so far......

2123593271_Drewry20-13.JPG.fe5cea7c7a913f522a6707c4c4512378.JPG

A couple of Parkside Palvans await moving.

339931321_Drewry20-12.JPG.7813cc69fa2c344779b6c5b24d472cbb.JPG

Pannier does the honours

731785950_Drewry20-15.JPG.1d1b76b35d12d31f1e89017e885dac3c.JPG

Small Prairie shunting

1180799463_Drewry20-16.JPG.d3d18be35a77ac59abe4dfd9782b15f4.JPG

1140710697_Drewry20-14.JPG.0a5ced3327f0f1d27d990ff965838329.JPG

Bachmann Ivatt 2MT, this is one of two of the early split chassis version I have. Runs quite well considering it's age but the pick-ups on the front pony help. Had a few tweaks such as the AWS battery box and a rather unconvincing injector to fill the space under the cab and bunker. Most obvious change is the replacement  the original moulded and rather unconvincing chimney with a stovepipe, the second having a BR style.

Cheers

Stu

• Like 12

18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Like the goods shed, is it scratchbuilt?

Hi,

It started life as this,  https://peco-uk.com/collections/4mm-oo/products/goods-shed

a Wills Craftsman kit. I'd built a stone one on a previous layout and was going to use that and it appears in the pics on page one. However for reasons now long forgotten I got a brick built one and modified the plans to get something along the same lines but bit smaller. So sort-of scratch in a way. If you've never built one you get enough bits to play around and do your own thing.

Cheers

Stu

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, lapford34102 said:

Hi,

It started life as this,  https://peco-uk.com/collections/4mm-oo/products/goods-shed

a Wills Craftsman kit. I'd built a stone one on a previous layout and was going to use that and it appears in the pics on page one. However for reasons now long forgotten I got a brick built one and modified the plans to get something along the same lines but bit smaller. So sort-of scratch in a way. If you've never built one you get enough bits to play around and do your own thing.

Cheers

Stu

Agreed, I've done similar things with the Pikestuff kits. As you say, the extra bits are very useful.

Hi,

Thank you for  the replies and thumbs-ups. One thing about Drewry is that it is easy to change vehicles and people to move the times not that it's obvious in these shots. (Note to Santa - new camera... !)

1896717220_Drewry20-18.JPG.e18c9783dd453fccdb1c279d3b780a5c.JPG

1850858884_Drewry20-19.JPG.d979af355a3a994df4e89728ea925fc3.JPG

It would be nice if someone like Monty's Figures did some in "British Rail" uniform from the late 60's. There used to be someone, think they were called Phoenix who did some really good ones but believe they were taken on by another outfit and now seemed to have vanished.

Cheers

Stu

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Stumbled upon this thread through seeing it appear in the 'View new content' tab. I started reading through the thread but then spotted the dreaded "Photobucket" image placeholders (where those swine have ransomed your photos!) which left the text somewhat bereft of context.

Thankfully, page 8 shows you building your track and the layout in its glory. Any chance of some more photos? Please?! The compliments from others through the thread about how good it looks (curse you, Photobucket thieves!) and praise for being an excellent example of its genre (micro layout) simply whet the appetite for more!

Fingers crossed!

Steve S

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments Steve, I'll what I can do as I have all the original shots though doubt I can remember what goes exactly where though as we can now upload directly "should" be easier. Layout is sitting in study and have to put it up sometime as I'd like to check what does and doesn't run. Been giving a few bits of unused stock a makeover specifically using Drewry as an excuse so perhaps a few new shots.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/161062-lapford34102s-workbench-new-underframes-for-old/

Cheers

Stu

• Like 2

• lapford34102 changed the title to Drewry Lane - Restoring a few "lost" photos