Drewry Lane - Restoring a few "lost" photos

lapford34102

I'm regularly tempted with a small shunting plank in this sort of style to keep up permanently , but then planning gets out of hand and it ends up about 20' x 2' and all plans have to be dropped as there will be no way it will fit on the shelf in the railway room

Are you me....?

• Like 3

Hi,

First of all thank you for all the comments. To answer some of the questions. Drewry Lane is 5' x 1', the length limited by what I can get in the car with the back seats down. I can quite sympathise with the plans that just "grow". Somewhere in the not too distant past I took a bit of board and sorted out a plan to fit it rather than the other way around. It's an approach that might not suit many but I've found works for me. I've also come to the conclusion I'm probably a small layout person.

You knocked that up! What happens when you really apply yourself?

To be honest I suspec. I've probably peaked but who knows. It went together remarkably quickly partly through fortuitous domestic circumstances and partly because it drew heavily on things I'd learned from doing D.L. It's almost a copy after all. I know you shouldn't copy another layout but if it's your own idea does that count :unsure: Difficult to do an accurate costing as over time you acquire kit that can be re-used but approx £200 would cover the building costs. That's not much more than one sound loco...

What's the little plank like to operate? I've always shyed away from making that sort of layout because I think I'd get bored very quickly

At shows D.L. is quite absorbing for a couple of hours as you do have to concentrate. "Son of" is simpler and so has less potential but will be OK for me for about an hour plus in my case filling the roles of a test track and somewhere to do photo's. Difficult to answer this as everyones expectations are different but my suggestion would be to see if you can blag an hour on something similar at a show. You'll soon know.

synergy

Had to look that one up Mark but thank you. I'll try not to get on my soapbox about this as it's a hobby and perhaps we should simply enjoy it rather than thinking about it to deeply. I'll simply say that I prefer layouts that follow the less is more principle and that you should strive to be consistent on all aspects as far as possible. That doesn't mean you have to be an expert in everything, I'm certainly not, but look at the whole thing as a single enterprise rather than a collection of individual exercises. Probably not well explained so an example - aimed at no-one by the way. Weathered stock and OOB vehicles and figures. My only possibly contentious comment is that if you think about things from the whole approach point of view then issues like OO vs P4 are really irrelevant.

EDIT:- has it got a name yet?

D.L. was originally going to be called Broadwey as it was loosely inspired by Upwey just outside Weymouth. Anyone who knows the area will understand but David is using this on his layout

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/28559-broadwey-oo-southern-layout-around-1990/page__p__299539__hl__broadwey__fromsearch__1#entry299539

so I'll give it some thought.

Pics - only took a few so

Broadwey4-1.jpg

Broadwey1.jpg

Thank you all for your interest and hope to talk some of you at the shows.

Stu

• Like 1

Hi,

And finally - and don't ask me why - this.........

Broadwey5-1.jpg

Broadwey2-1.jpg

Knocked up over a 3 week period it's a 70" x 9" shunting plank built along similar lines to D.L.

Have a few more pics and the details if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Stu

Cheers

Stu

You said not to ask why, just one question... biggrin.gif

Loving the new layout, do you need a home for Drewry Lane now? tongue.gif

Operated from the front, you haven't built this for your own satisfaction, I hope!

Did you get my PM re SJ Stu?

• Like 1

Operated from the front, you haven't built this for your own satisfaction,

Well spotted Kev :) I was pleased with how D.L. came out but it is show configured so in typical "good idea at the time" fashion bumped a couple of projects sideways and did this for home use. It's code 75 as opposed to D.L.'s code 100. My previous experiences with 75 have not been too good but this went down well and running is very good. What I will rant on about is the use of cheap Maplins switches for the points. Only really applicable to planks it is though a cheap easy and reliable method of changing live frog points.

DL has 3 more shows in addition to those I've already mentioned. Another turned up Friday plus a couple I'm waiting on official announcements but we're into 2012. So you'll have to wait........!

Cheers

Stu

Hi,

My Class 14 turned up and my wife, who rarely takes much interest in my purchases apart from the financial aspects, took a look at it and in a very suspicious tone said “It doesn’t look very Britishâ€. I gave her a hug, realised she’d probably been taking more notice than I’d given her credit for and decided it was a good buy.

With a couple of caveats it looks pretty good and ran well straight out the box. It’s generated 19 pages of comment here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/3482-Heljan-class-14s-for-hattons/page__st__450

so probably not a lot I can add except I wonder how some will react when they realise that their £100 plus purchase requires them to add the brake shoes and sandboxes. Not a big deal if you’re moderately experienced but could be a bit of a nightmare to a newcomer as there doesn’t appear to be any instructions. My only real gripe is the buffers which will have to go. Along with other examples such as the Bachmann 55 and Hornby 31 – to name just two – these weedy apologies will either have the heads replaced as the easy option or failing that the whole thing. With me sprung buffers sit alongside opening cab doors and the like as pointless wastes. Sprung buffers and tension lock couplings…….. I’d love someone to explain this.

Class14-2.jpg

Class14-1.jpg

Class14-3.jpg

Next job is to find some decent photos and weather it so I can use it at Tonbridge.

Cheers

Stu

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just a shameless bump and plug for the Tonbridge show next weekend.

Also an early plug for the Weymouth show 29/30th Oct.

Cheers

Stu

PS Kev - look forward to seeing St J in it's new guise. Might be worth starting your own thread.

A thoroughly enjoyable day and thanks to Colin and his team for a well organised event.

Had a good place at the top of the stairs and was busy enough all day it seemed, anyhow the time went quickly. Only downside was not enough time to get a decent look at every exhibit.From what I did see it looked pretty busy and had an interesting range of layouts on show.

Cheers

Stu

Hi,

Just a few more shots of the layout.

45XX.jpg

4562 rolls in with a Plate wagon

Pannier2.jpg

3737 shunts vans with a couple of ill-starred Pallett vans waiting to be moved to the Goos Shed road

Pannier1.jpg

7782 with a single coal wagon arrives.

Watch this space.

Stu

Ratio concrete walling looks well - takes time and patience to complete a decent run - good how you have managed to step the sections down I usually only attempt straight runs about 10" maximum.

• Like 1

Hi,

Just a few more shots of the layout.

45XX.jpg

4562 rolls in with a Plate wagon

Pannier2.jpg

3737 shunts vans with a couple of ill-starred Pallett vans waiting to be moved to the Goos Shed road

Pannier1.jpg

7782 with a single coal wagon arrives.

Watch this space.

Stu

Ratio concrete walling looks well - takes time and patience to complete a decent run - good how you have managed to step the sections down I usually only attempt straight runs about 10" maximum.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A look only a mother could love and all the grace of an arthritic camel in motion. After a protracted effort to get the running up to something passable it's now weathered up and will hopefully be a useful addition to Drewry Lane's motive power.

Stu

Class14-22.jpg

Class14-12.jpg

• Like 3

A look only a mother could love and all the grace of an arthritic camel in motion.

Quite an accurate portrayal of the prototype then !

Does it scream when struggling with 50+ SLU's on the back, like the one I used to watch each morning in 1969 on the Long Dyke, Penarth Curve and Radyr trip. . . . . . or even burst into flames . . . . . now that would be a task for a DCC expert.

Your efforts are excellent Stu.

Brian R.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I know the fashion at the moment seems to be to take a Hornby 31, send the body for landfill, hack the chassis into 3 bits, find an old Lima body, speak to the nice man from Shawplan and do some serious modelling. The Hornby model doesn’t offend me to that extent and I picked this up comparatively cheap with the intention of turning it into a late 60’s version. I couldn’t find another Green headcoded version (Mr Tailby has my original one) and it remains a mystery to me why Hornby didn’t re-release that one but went for the Pilot one again.

That was until someone who knows these better than I pointed out you can only do an early Pilot loco as it lacks the engine room door louvres and cab front footsteps. I did wonder about doing my own modding job but decided it was probably beyond me. Equally I couldn’t find any really hard info on how long the original livery with only one number and the “duck egg blue†trim lasted. I wasn’t too convinced by the colour Hornby used for the trim anyway. So back in the box it went.

Then at Showcase I picked up a copy of the latest Modern Locomotives Illustrated about the Class 31. In there was a handful of shots of the pilot loco’s before the door and footstep mods but in the more conventional livery of light grey trim, numbers in four corners and looking a little travel worn. So off I went. Knocked all the glazing out, took off the handrails and got rid of the numbers. Masking up the bodyside stripes wasn’t actually that difficult except for the top stripe where is goes round the cab corners as the masking tape tended to slip. But what colour to use for them ?

The references say light grey but in every picture I’ve seen it looks so near white as to make no difference. Using the old excuse of “scale colour†I used some Tamiya white with a dollop of mid grey added to take the edge off the white though to be honest it still looks white. I’m still a little unsure about how the weathering’s come out but as it’s been done with oils and weathering powders over what is effectively an acrylic base them I can wash it all off and have another go if it doesn’t grow on me. Early diesels seem a somewhat neglected area. I’ve got the black 350hp but am now wondering if a Pilot D8000 might not be a suitable companion.

Stu

Type2-4.jpg

Type2-2.jpg

Type2-3.jpg

Type2-1.jpg

• Like 3

Hi,

Thanks Mark. It's about the limit, size wise, for D.l. Looking at the Howe's site I noticed they do a sound chip for the Mirlees engine version. If I had the spare cash I think I'd be very tempted. It doesn't actually fit with the original idea for the layout the class never appearing in the SW till the 70's. But the first loco I ever bought with my own (christmas) money was a Tri-ang TT one some I'm claiming sentimental reasons. Might also be an excuse to get a Class 15 to keep it company.

A couple of shots taken on D.L. mk2

Type2-8.jpg

Type2-5.jpg

Drewry Lane will also now be at the Stowmarket Show early next year.

Cheers

Stu

• Like 1

I know the fashion at the moment seems to be to take a Hornby 31, send the body for landfill, hack the chassis into 3 bits, find an old Lima body, speak to the nice man from Shawplan and do some serious modelling. The Hornby model doesn’t offend me to that extent

I think I started that...

If it doesn't offend you then you've saved a fair bit of work! :lol:

I think I started that...

:D You did indeed James but I didn't put in any names to protect the innocent....! I've got a link to your impressive 31 thread in my favourites as I kept going back to check on progress. However I'm fundamentally a lazy sod so took the easy option. At DEMU's ShowCase I did speak to Brian of Shawplan and hopefully planted the idea of doing the bits to update the Hornby pilot to an early production but doubt it will make the to-do list for a long time, if ever. I did though come away with some Extreme Etchings fan grilles for my Cromptons so I'll see how I cope with them. I only had a good look at them when I finally got home :blink:

Thank you for the comments Neil, much appreciated.

Cheers

Stu

:D You did indeed James but I didn't put in any names to protect the innocent....! I've got a link to your impressive 31 thread in my favourites as I kept going back to check on progress. However I'm fundamentally a lazy sod so took the easy option. At DEMU's ShowCase I did speak to Brian of Shawplan and hopefully planted the idea of doing the bits to update the Hornby pilot to an early production but doubt it will make the to-do list for a long time, if ever. I did though come away with some Extreme Etchings fan grilles for my Cromptons so I'll see how I cope with them. I only had a good look at them when I finally got home :blink:

This must be the first time I've been a trend setter! :lol:

I'm pleased you enjoyed the 31 Project! I will admit that the Hornby model is passable, certainly when viewed from the side, as a 'layout loco' it can work fine. The problem is when I see a problem that's all I see! Hence the use of a Lima body!

I think Brian will eventually cover all Diesel types, but the standards to whichh he works just mean that it may take a a few years - but it'll be worth the wait!

You've made a nice job of your 31 :) And it's good to see some proper modelling instead of a post complaining about a model not being available in a certain livery! :)

• Like 1