Drewry Lane - Restoring a few "lost" photos

lapford34102

Hi,

Just a quick bump for Shelfe St and Drewry Lane

Shelfe St will be at Shenfield on Sept 21st http://offtherails.x10.mx/memrc/exhib.html#top

and the slightly revamped Drewry at Beckenham Oct 26th  http://www.bwwmrc.co.uk/exhibitions/StJohn13Oct/index.shtml

If your at either please come and say hello.

Stu

Hi Stu, I have just caught up with your new layout having seen DL in the flesh somewhere up this way. Simple and nice well done mate :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: , any more extensions in the pipe line? :no:  :no:  :no:  hahahah

All the best.

Andy :sungum:

Hi Guys,

Looking forward to seeing shelfe st at shenfield on sat

Come along and have a play :-)

Thanks Andy. Drewry will be at Derby next year so hopefully will see you there. Been catching up on your thread. The RES 47 is really good..

Chris, Shelfe is 5ft x 9inch, the longest I can get in the car with the back seat down. It's got a short bolt on extension to take it to 6ft. Neither Drewry or Shelfe use trestles. Much prefer a table which are usually 6ft long, May not be the ideal viewing height but being able to operate sitting down is a lot more comfortable.

Had a read of your Nth Haston thread, interesting with the sunken KD magnets.

Stu

Thanks Stu

Longer than I'd hoped, 4'6" is the max I can get in my car now...

But it's given me an idea.

The sunken magnets are good but you've got to know where you are going to uncouple at the planning stage.

As NH is operated by the sitting in front of the fiddle yard, I didn't want to lean in front of the punters while uncoupling so I had to use magnets.

The operation patten has to be very simple and repeats itself time and time again. Occasionally when I try to be clever and try a new move,cars (wagons) get uncouple in the wrong place ... So I find its best to keep it simple and stick to the plan

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

Firstly thank you for the kind words and putting those pics on the show thread.

As for the chips they are both Hornby factory. However they are different. One has a Loksound v3.5 (I think) with the speaker mounted facing inward, the other is a v4 chip with the speaker facing forward and a number of holes drilled in the body behind the rad grill. The difference is quite noticeable if you spend a bit of time with them. The v4 version also has some shallow recesses inside the roof to accommodate the bigger chip.

Cheers

Stu

• 1 month later...

Hi Stu,

I really enjoyed seeing Drewry Lane in the flesh on Saturday in Beckenham. It is exactly what I hope to achieve in my embryonic project so thanks for the inspiration.

I'll also be looking to 'borrow' a few of your techniques and frequently check back on this thread.

All the best,

Rob T.

I'll also be looking to 'borrow' a few of your techniques

Hi Rob,

Please feel free to borrow what you want. Every idea on Drewry was probably nicked from elsewhere anyhow. Glad you enjoyed seeing DL and hope you enjoyed the show. We had a good day and it's a show I'd be happy to do again. 

Still the odd stock coupling problem but the Class 14 now seems to be behaving itself and the sound Class 22 got a bit of attention.

Cheers

Stu

• 4 weeks later...

Glad you approve of Shelfe St Colin, maybe one day I can bring it to Tonbridge.

He is good at the last bit

Steve helped out both days and did an absolutely sterling job giving plenty of time to talk away to Colin amongst others. Lets face it though I've had plenty of tuition watching the likes of Paul W, George W and Dave T in action. I did wonder how much time George spent actually operating his Layout at Warley?

Also thanks to Tim - who spent Sat in Warley then came on Sun afternoon and showed us how Javelin drivers do things.

Had a crazy 10 minutes and bought a Hornby Q1 :fool:

Stu

• Like 1

Had a crazy 10 minutes and bought a Hornby Q1 :fool:

No, crazy is when you buy the sound chip for it!

Good to see the layout in the flesh, some excellent modelling.  It just goes to show what can be achieved without going over the top :)

Thanks for the tips on hard standings btw.

Thanks for the tips on hard standings btw.

Glad to help and thanks for the comments.  Think this place might be worth a look for mounting card http://www.chromosart.co.uk/

No, crazy is when you buy the sound chip for it

Not you as well! Had enough trouble with Steve and Tim on Sun trying to spend my money. They were very keen for me to get one of those static grass applicators. At £17 odd perhaps I should have but will try and find someone who has one first.

See you at Canterbury in Jan hopefully.

Stu

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Just a bump for Drewry Lane which will be at Stafford next weekend and Biggleswade the Sat after.

If you're at either show come and say hello and perhaps have a go at worrying some wagons while I have a quick look round.

Cheers

Stu

In the quiet Downlands of Southern England some sinister stirs.......! 

Q1-1_zpsa26c8a51.jpg

Ages ago someone wrote an article about engine names and pondered appropriate names for the Q1's.

He came up with the likes of Frankenstein and Creature from the Black Lagoon.

He wasn't far wrong as this Hornby model turned out to be a nightmare. When the impending festivities are over and if it doesn't disgrace itself publicly I might well put digits to keyboard.

Stu

Stu

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Firstly many thanks to those who voted for Drewry in the BRM poll, maybe another time. I've been somewhat inactive over the past few months and if I may a brief explanation. Some will remember me writing when my father died earlier in the year. Sadly things didn't get any easier. My mothers sole surviving sister died suddenly about 6 weeks after and two months after that my mother suffered a stroke. As luck would have it I was staying with her at the time. As a result she is now in residential care and as anyone who has been in the same position will know it can be a very difficult journey. Things are more settled now and hopefully I'll be able to get back into things.

Looking through the thread realised there weren't that many shots of Shelfe Street  - probably no great loss - but I've made a change since. Was never too happy about the scenic break so now put in something more traditional. Not actually sure I'm that happy with what I've done but at best it's no worse.

What I'm definitely not happy happy with is the rubbish foliage around the brickwork, can't have been thinking straight and it'll have to go before it's next outing. That's the show at Braunstone on Nov 1st. Organised by the Vicar and held in the church it's a small fun show for a good cause and quite close to my daughter so it'll make for a family weekend and keep SWMBO happy.

A couple of  hastily taken pics. The 350hp (yes, another one!) was to hand so I plonked it on, it's destined for something else.

Stu

post-82-0-33156700-1413711073_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-05113900-1413711120.jpg

• Like 3

Good to see you back Stu. I lost both my parents in a relatively short space of time a few years ago and I found life difficult. time does improve things albeit slowly for me, but doing stuff I enjoy helped including being on here. Look forward to seeing your projects and hope things improve for you. Take care.

Steve

• Like 1

Firstly thanks to everyone for their support, much appreciated.
Well having had a good hard look at the changes made to Shelfe and the dismal efforts of mine with the foliage have
had another go. Somewhat happier now with the look so have taken a couple more shots. An 08 on a short coal run and a 33/1 on an engineers train, the first wagon a Lamprey from the Chivers kit.

Well it's Braunstone next weekend and Canterbury 18th/19th Jan.

Stu

post-82-0-01698100-1414271627.jpg

post-82-0-34153500-1414271746.jpg

• Like 10