Drewry Lane - Restoring a few "lost" photos

lapford34102

Update Jan 21 - Trying to restore some of the lost pictures. This will take a while and not sure I still have all of them so if captions don't seem to match apologies.

Have decided to start a new topic about the layout rather than continue the blog which I never really felt suited my way of doing things. If anyones that interested it can be found here - http://www.rmweb.co.....log&blogid=106

Progress has been a bit sporadic of late but the scenery is starting to come together.Rather than waffle on here's a few pics showing progress.
P1020130.JPG.ec11527361d06bdb0647c1c54c1dac46.JPGP1020132.JPG.9cc7ca786fd5ba20d6d9c80b35e0b401.JPGP1080155.JPG.151d2dd64f254cab15725875f4273d0a.JPG

The embankment is traditional card formers, paper mache and a plaster skin. I got a rather exasperated painting the track and in the end decided I was trying to be too clever. I ended up mixing brown and black paint to a shade that was similar to what I remember track colour to be and sprayed the lot. It came out rather better than I expected though the photo's make look a bit odd. The bridge and retaining walls are also in place and it's all beginning to come together.
Stu

Edited by lapford34102
Restoring "lost" photos
  • Like 3

Hi James,

Using clay was pretty easy and a lot less troublesome than plaster for infilling. I don't know if you've looked at this http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13683&hilit=catcott+burtle&start=250

which is how to do it properly. What I ended up with is far less elegant though it will do for me to represent old and worn ash ballasted track. track

post-82-1260646233811_thumb.jpg

This shot shows how it turned out but it was done with flash and the colours look weird!

I've now fitted the fencing along the embankment. It's probably a bit of a cheap trick to hide the baseboard/backscene join this way but I'm happier with this rather than a poor attempt to blend forground and background into one seamless view.

post-82-12606462180888_thumb.jpg

post-82-12606459736153_thumb.jpg

The embankment has also now had a coat of white emulsion. This is going to be a partly overgrown chalk embankment when the weathering and greenery are added. The overbridge still has some more detail to be added on the underside.

Stu

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Progress since my last post has been largely sporadic due to work, family and of course Christmas. Did manage to get the odd bit done here and there. That was until this week. What's been a serious problem for many has fortuitously given me a chunk of extra modelling time so things have moved on at frenetic pace. I know no layout is never really finished but now Drury lane has reached the stage where it could be seen in polite society. Just a few pics to show where it's got to.post-82-12631488331172_thumb.jpg

post-82-12631488884801_thumb.jpg

A couple of shots showing the layout without stock to give an overview of where it's got to.

post-82-12631489757122_thumb.jpg

post-82-12631490092378_thumb.jpg

post-82-12631490323785_thumb.jpg

post-82-12631490614021_thumb.jpg

There's still a deal of tweaking to do here and there and then there's the stock to get up to par but it's now largely sorted.

Comments welcome even if they're not complimentary - I might learn something :)

Stu

• Like 6

Thanks Gents. I was considering an EM project before I got tied up with this. Hardly unique as a project but I am pleased with how it's come together, especially as it's nearly all recycled or unused materials so it's been cheap and given me chance to try to put into practice lessons learned from earlier efforts.

St Jude is at Chatham in June and I suspect this one's first outing will be Broadstairs unless there's an unexpected rush!

Stu

Hi,

Just a few more shots of the layout.

4562 rolls in with a Plate wagon

P1160183.JPG.eb94ec48eab818d85938d721efac9ead.JPG

3737 shunts vans with a couple of ill-starred Pallett vans waiting to be moved to the Goos Shed road

P1160181.JPG.cec82b07f100d605ba7f48669ac33f84.JPG

7782 with a single coal wagon arrives.

P1160179.JPG.943d6a68eced64f1422a01f00f16cfbc.JPG

when are you debuting?

Watch this space.

Stu

Edited by lapford34102
Restoring "lost" photos
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Thanks Gents. I was considering an EM project before I got tied up with this. Hardly unique as a project but I am pleased with how it's come together,

This looks really nice already, maybe not unique but the presentation so far is very nice, and I'm afraid its another one where the effort put into making the trackwork look good and in keeping with the surroundings would make me say why bother building your own, though I'm still very much 'on the fence' regards this. Lovely layout anyway!

Thanks Gents. I was considering an EM project before I got tied up with this. Hardly unique as a project but I am pleased with how it's come together, especially as it's nearly all recycled or unused materials so it's been cheap and given me chance to try to put into practice lessons learned from earlier efforts.

Stu

Why not try an EM project anyway? The next project (a joint effort with Neil of this parish)will have the same criteria as you've mentioned above with recycled or unused materials. Will the excellent results you've achieved from this layout, the world is your oyster!

hi stu, i really really like this, i think the way you have shaped the back panel is fantastic and makes the whole thing look bigger and adds to the scenery effect which is all done very nicely well done and hope to see this more

regards

neil

• 1 month later...

Hi,

A new loco for Drewry lane has been on the workbench for a few weeks now but six weeks of seemingly unrelenting hand to hand fighting with our new IT system (BSF Managed Service in case anyone else on here is in the same business) had left little time or inclination to get any modelling done. But it's settled down a bit and a chance to get on with this.

When I sprayed the thing black it dawned on me that weathering it wasn't going to be that easy. For one thing contemporary colour photo's of black 350hp's seem almost non existent. In black black liveried shunters din't seem to get much coverage at all though I find them quite appealing and 13263 will probably be joined by a similarly liveried Drewy 204hp in time.

In the event the loco was sprayed gloss black and then logo'd and numbered. It was then given a coat of semi-matt varnish.

PB280104.JPG.fdb5104b1d31f72b1b8aafe34be84dca.JPG

PB280109.JPG.0dd770f42ab7d39d81d2f2bbb9751d69.JPG

Weathering was a foul and varied concoction of matt black, dark earth and matt red plus some matt black for the exhaust and bodyside grills with some glossier mixes to represent the oily wobbly bits.

I'm not sure my photography does it justice but there could be a little more tonal variation on the body but I'll wait till the weathering has really hardened off before I try any tweaks. 350's have some quite distinct weathering unique to this class which I don't think factory weathering can get close to. The latest Bachmann 350 looks, in some pictures at least, like it served at El Alamein!

The layout now has two firm invitations for late this year and early next year so that will give me the incentive to get all the stock sorted out, the lighting installed and maybe even a couple of trestles to stand it on.

Stu

Edited by lapford34102
Restoring "lost" photos
  • Like 1

Hi,

Today the sky went a strange colour - if my memory's not playing tricks I think it's called blue. This is in complete contrast to yesterday when I spent a soggy morning trekking through the Kentish rainforest !

Anyhow when I got back I had another look at the 350 and decided it was looking a bit too bland and that the photo's I'd taken barely rated a "poor".

So out with the pastel chalks - if prefer these to the AFV weathering powders which I find too strong - and a bit of dry brushing to get a few highlights to relieve the black.

So here's a few more which I hope show it more accurately.

350hp-3.jpg

350hp-4.jpg

350hp-5.jpg

Stu

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Just a quick update. The Lane has got it's own scratchbuilt goods shed now - my first effort. Nothing extensive or fancy but perhaps a bit more in keeping with it's possible location(s) !

DrewryLane-1.jpg

DrewryLane-2.jpg

The debut show is small but is a charity event held in fairly unique venue in a church at Braunstone in Leicester on the 6th Nov.

Not exactly down the road for me but have family very close and I helped out at it last year.

Some info here - http://www.stpetersbraunstone.org.uk/?p=407

Other shows are at Broadstairs - usual venue but apparently larger - 27th/28th Nov

and Tonbridge on 19th Feb - http://tonbridgemrc.co.uk/exhibition.aspx

Hopefully a couple more in the pipeline as well.

Cheers

Stu

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks for the comments Gents.

very nice small compact layout

looks very interesting to operate

It'll be a bit a shock to have to cope with points after St Jude. I've tried to do something that will hopefully look equally comfortable with an open cab pannier with "BRITISH RAILWAYS" on the tanks to blue pre-tops diesels. Changing rolling stock to suit is obviously not a problem but getting the road vehicles right is another matter and something I need to get some learned advice on but more of that anon.

like the concrete fence along the backscene

It's a bit of a cop-out but avoids any problems with perspective, etc. My own view is that I'd rather have no backscene rather than an unconvincing one. Having no artistic skill I'm not going down the DIY road and am still in two minds about photographic ones though they seem to be getting a lot better.

Cheers

Stu

Thanks for the responses.

Stu

look at the id backscenes

LHS has some of these but not had a chance to have a close look but will do so.

To lorrys.

P9130047.JPG.a7e3b989d20a7eebf323fcbbfea0c743.JPG

I think it's oldest on the left and newest on the right. No idea of what they except the RH which I think is a Bedford - which looks a bit underscale to me. As for period, again from L to R 40's, 50's, 70's, 60's

Any advice/info gratefully received,

Stu

Edited by lapford34102
Restoring "lost" photos
  • Like 1