Drewry Lane - Restoring a few "lost" photos

lapford34102

No idea of what they except the RH which I think is a Bedford - which looks a bit underscale to me. As for period, again from L to R 40's, 50's, 70's, 60's

The Bedford is the TK Stu, a classic creature indeed. They were actually quite compact I believe, certainly when compared to later contemporaries like the Ford D series. The TK was made from c1960 I think, but still very common well into the 80s. As for the white 'tin front' AEC to its left, I would think that's much more 60s than 70s and AFAIK the cab was more common on fire engines than in regular haulage use. TBH though it's a design I'd like to know more about, so will watch myself for more learned commentwink.gif

• RMweb Premium

LHS has some of these but not had a chance to have a close look but will do so.

To lorrys.

Lorrys.jpg

I think it's oldest on the left and newest on the right. No idea of what they except the RH which I think is a Bedford - which looks a bit underscale to me. As for period, again from L to R 40's, 50's, 70's, 60's

Any advice/info gratefully received,

Stu

L to R 1) AEC mid 30's to 50's, 2) Albion, these were often old fashioned in appearance and could be up to mid 60's 3) AEC Mk. V, late 50's to late 60's 4) Bedford TK, introduced mid 60's, I last saw one in use as late as 2005!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Well the layout had it's first outing over the weekend and despite a couple of issues I was really pleased with how it operated and also the comments made about it.

A couple of pics

post-82-015109700 1289173234_thumb.jpg

post-82-030035900 1289173262_thumb.jpg

Main problem was the wire loop couplings on the 08's were a little too lightweight and that coupled with the inherent variation in the wagons coupling heights, and it's quite a bit even from same firms RTR stuff, leading to a bit of buffer locking and the odd left behind train. Also need to illuminate the shunters pole.

So a bit of tweaking required before the next show in 3 weeks time in Broadstairs. Got some more invites including one quite unexpected one but more about that in the new year.

Cheers

Stu

post-82-072204300 1289173443_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Love the atmosphere of this one. Really nice layout, it's a quaint scene as well, and funnily enough slightly larger diesels and locos look as at home there as the shunters and tank engines! Good stuff, I'll keep my eye on this one. What are the dimensions of the baseboards, by the way? Forgive me if it's been already mentioned and I missed it.

What size is the Layout and do you have a track plan...?
What are the dimensions of the baseboards,

Hi,

Apologies to Jamie who asked the question back in March and Tangmere from yesterday. Hopefully the sky shot is as good as a trackplan. Dimensions are 5' by 1'. Length was determined by space in back of car. If you ever saw my miserable attempts at baseboards joins you'd know why I stick to one board efforts.

It will have a small fold out extension to what passes for the fiddle yard but more for ease of use than any operational reason. The headshunt was designed to take a 76XXX standard and as you say it doesn't look out of place, neither does 33 or ED. Oddly enough a 4MT tank does look "wrong" for some reason but then it would probably be overweight for the line anyhow. Does mean you can have a bit of variation traction wise.

Thanks for the responses Gents.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Stu,

Thanks for the update photos. I had forgotten how effective your layout looks. I do like small shunting layouts, particularily when they are so well modelled. Gives me a few ideas. Good to see so many good small layouts on here, proving that you do not need a great of space to build a convincing and realistic model railway.

HI,

I took about 30 wagons to Braunstone which was probably three times too many so have been reviewing what I have and thinking about what I might take to future shows. I know weathering stock is a matter of personal preference but I like it though perhaps not so much the factory stuff. I’m a bit baffled though that there a plenty of loco’s but not much stock because to mind a weathered loco on clean stock looks odd. If you have a look at “good†layouts you’ll notice that they tend to be consistent across everything in how they do things. For example I find weathered stock alongside shiny road vehicles rather incongruous but then that might just be me.

Anyhow a few examples below that were quite simply weathered with an dark coloured wash over the body and roof varying amounts of which are taken off with a flattie brush dipped in thinners and then partly dried off. The frame is airbrushed with dirt and finally a fine mist of gunge, a mix of black and dark earth, over the whole thing. Now it’s quite feasible to this with a hairy stick and there are plenty of examples to prove that but an airbrush is probably easier. They don’t need to cost a fortune either, so if you’re considering having a dabble then have a look at

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/pro-air-brush-kit-cab2p/path/spray-guns-spraying-equipment-air-brushes

or

https://airbrushes.com/index.php?cPath=1_11_146&osCsid=eda2b2c82f0fd7a61ea9338d1e820bfe

The pics, a mix of Bachmann and Dapol rtr and Parkside kits.

PB100078-1.jpg

PB100077-1.jpg

PB100080.jpg

PB100082.jpg

PB100084.jpg

you do not need a great of space to build a convincing and realistic model railway.

Most shows their fair share of small layouts though I do get the impression that with the bigger shows it tends to be a token presence. Now I’m sure this topic has already been argued to a standstill somewhere but I was interested to learn that someone was considering putting on a “Micro†show.

A small event based on this idea was held earlier this year and seems to have been a success so a larger event is apparently being considered. Quite what counts as a micro/small/mini layout is undoubtedly debatable but as an idea I think it has merit. After all we have plenty of other niche shows so why not one for this sector.

Cheers

Stu

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Got the Broadstairs show over the weekend. Unfortunately my help for Saturday has gone down with galloping horribles' so if anyones is around during the day who would like a spell on the layout I'd be very grateful. Even if it's only for the odd 10 mins or so here and there.

Thanks

Stu

Hi,

Got the Broadstairs show over the weekend. Unfortunately my help for Saturday has gone down with galloping horribles' so if anyones is around during the day who would like a spell on the layout I'd be very grateful. Even if it's only for the odd 10 mins or so here and there.

Thanks

Stu

Stu, I will be along on Saturday, but only until midday, more than happy to help if you train me up on the 'frame', assume it's slightly more complicated than Jude!!!

First time visit,

Very nice little layout Stu, I agree that no back is better than a poor back; I also know where you are coming from by avoiding joins.

Hi,

Thanks for that Simon. Also thanks to Kev for helping out Saturday when I was largely on my own (I’ll be in contact in the New Year re St. Jude) and for LyddRail for his sterling help on Sunday.

Apart from anything else the weekend's raised a few questions about Hornby's 08's but I'll post them elsewhere in due course. Also my Lenz Compact we were using seems to have developed an alarming tendency to not totally "switch off" when the throttle was closed. Loco's one assumed had stopped tended to move off on what was apparently a closed controller. Caused a few alarums but once sussed was OKish provided the control was very firmly closed and an eye kept on things. Anyone else had this ?

The sound 08 was bit of a hit in spite of the above mentioned caveats. It was just about the right volume as it was, audible to close viewers but not intrusive to those around. By comparison a sound fitted 56 we ran sounded like we had the real thing parked under the layout.

This was not what you'd call a modellers show but those who knew a Crompton from Brewster (out of Chuggington)all seemed to like the layout. Most families with youngsters were very good but I did though get a little concerned about the number of apparently unsupervised kids around on both days. No actual harm done but the potential for something awkward was there.

Some pics.

Broadstairs10-6.jpg

Broadstairs10-5.jpg

Broadstairs10-4.jpg

Broadstairs10-2.jpg

Broadstairs10-1.jpg

Cheers

Stu

• Like 2

Hi,

Thanks for that Simon. Also thanks to Kev for helping out Saturday when I was largely on my own (I’ll be in contact in the New Year re St. Jude) and for LyddRail for his sterling help on Sunday.

Apart from anything else the weekend's raised a few questions about Hornby's 08's but I'll post them elsewhere in due course. Also my Lenz Compact we were using seems to have developed an alarming tendency to not totally "switch off" when the throttle was closed. Loco's one assumed had stopped tended to move off on what was apparently a closed controller. Caused a few alarums but once sussed was OKish provided the control was very firmly closed and an eye kept on things. Anyone else had this ?

The sound 08 was bit of a hit in spite of the above mentioned caveats. It was just about the right volume as it was, audible to close viewers but not intrusive to those around. By comparison a sound fitted 56 we ran sounded like we had the real thing parked under the layout.

This was not what you'd call a modellers show but those who knew a Crompton from Brewster (out of Chuggington)all seemed to like the layout. Most families with youngsters were very good but I did though get a little concerned about the number of apparently unsupervised kids around on both days. No actual harm done but the potential for something awkward was there.

Some pics.

%20<a%20href=

%20<a%20href=

Broadstairs10-4.jpg

%20<a%20href=

%20<a%20href=

Cheers

Stu

Great stuff Stu,

Thanks for the play on Saturday, it's amazing how even a small layout like this can draw you in, I could have lost myself for hours, all I can say to RMWebbers is if you get the chance, see this layout and appreciate what can be done in a minimal space, great entertainment. Sorry I couldn't help for longer. Hope the stop-start problems under the bridge sort themselves out, let me know what it was.

Regards,

Kev

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Stu,

Only just caught up with this layout and all I can say is it's one of the best layouts I've seen for a longtime on here that appeals to me.

It's very simple but you've managed to achieve a great deal in this small space and it doesn't look overcrowded.

The trackwork, scenery,buildings and rolling stock all work in synergy, in doing so you've captured the setting just right.

Look forwards to further posts and future layouts to this standard! ;)

Most impressed!

Cheers,

Mark

Guest Austerity94

Hi Stu,

Two words - absolutely brilliant!

I realise that neither layout is 'large' but there is an air of spaciousness about them. Hopefully, will see Drewry Lane in the 'flesh' at Northampton.

Just one question - how big is Drewry Lane?

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold
!

Hopefully, will see Drewry Lane in the 'flesh' at Northampton.

I think I'll be coming to the Northampton Show as well! Be good to see it in the flesh!

Hi,

As we're now in 2011 and the festivities behind us perhaps it is timely to give a bit of publicity to DL's activities.

Sat 19th Feb - Tonbridge

http://tonbridgemrc.com/aboutus.aspx

Sat 12th March - Northampton

http://www.northamptonmodelrailwayshow.co.uk/

Along with Mr Woodcock I believe

Sat 17th Sept - Shenfield

http://homepages.tesco.net/~david.r.rayner/memrc/exhib.html#top

There's a couple more in the pipeline as well so probably enough to be going on with

And finally - and don't ask me why - this.........

Broadwey5-1.jpg

Broadwey2-1.jpg

Knocked up over a 3 week period it's a 70" x 9" shunting plank built along similar lines to D.L.

Have a few more pics and the details if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Stu

Cheers

Stu

Looking forward to seeing you at Tonbridge in a couple of weeks Stu, are you planning to link the two layouts together at some stage at all?

Colin

Hi,

As we're now in 2011 and the festivities behind us perhaps it is timely to give a bit of publicity to DL's activities.

Sat 19th Feb - Tonbridge

http://tonbridgemrc.com/aboutus.aspx

Sat 12th March - Northampton

http://www.northamptonmodelrailwayshow.co.uk/

Along with Mr Woodcock I believe

Sat 17th Sept - Shenfield

http://homepages.tesco.net/~david.r.rayner/memrc/exhib.html#top

There's a couple more in the pipeline as well so probably enough to be going on with

And finally - and don't ask me why - this.........

Broadwey5-1.jpg

Broadwey2-1.jpg

Knocked up over a 3 week period it's a 70" x 9" shunting plank built along similar lines to D.L.

Have a few more pics and the details if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Stu

Cheers

Stu

You knocked that up! What happens when you really apply yourself? That looks absolutely super as does Drewry Lane. I've enjoyed following this thread very much. Thanks for sharing.

Patrick

• RMweb Gold

I'm regularly tempted with a small shunting plank in this sort of style to keep up permanently , but then planning gets out of hand and it ends up about 20' x 2' and all plans have to be dropped as there will be no way it will fit on the shelf in the railway room rolleyes.gif . Having something like this excellent little layout to follow could keep my imagination on the straight and narrow... cool.gif

Looking forward to seeing some more photos of the 'offspring'.

EDIT:- has it got a name yet?