Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

SOU532210

Hi Tony,

Great work,

Was there a reason for using lighter fluid as a thinner? and did you paint the graf with brushes or pens?

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave. Yes, my reasons for using lighter fluid is that I find it far and away more refined than any thinners. I prefer the way it reacts with Humbrol and Floquil paints as it helps the paint to flow and remain wetter longer. In turn this permits the paint to level out and the usual meniscus at corner details is all but eliminated thus giving a crisper detail edges.

100% of the graf was painted with paint brushes.

Top stuff, the graffiti is particularly impressive B)

Thanks Martin. I learned something though. Painting graf on a waffle side car is far more difficult than on a basic 'flat' box car side. As you go along in a line the brush is suddenly confronted with a different plane that requires the line to be stopped, the brush re-positioned, to go up the side of the waffle 'brick' as it were, then re-positioned again to cross the top surface, then again for the down side of the waffle protrusion and again to continue between the waffle protrusions. I can tell you it is one PITA. Will I do another waffle, doubtful, far too intensive.

There's a very interesting article by Thornton Waite (very highly detailed account) on various Boxcar Doors (and their parts). Page 10 -16 of May 2012 NMRA Magazine.

Best, Pete.

Pete, any chance you can photocopy that article and e-mail it to me at: c9dash40@carolina.rr.com please...?

Cheers, all. Tony

I learned something though. Painting graf on a waffle side car is far more difficult than on a basic 'flat' box car side. As you go along in a line the brush is suddenly confronted with a different plane that requires the line to be stopped, the brush re-positioned, to go up the side of the waffle 'brick' as it were, then re-positioned again to cross the top surface, then again for the down side of the waffle protrusion and again to continue between the waffle protrusions. I can tell you it is one PITA.

Yes, that's precisely why I was so impressed with the graf (although I would have been impressed even on a plain sided car!) 8)

Archived