Modern depot/commuter station in 00

MattWallace

Hi all,

I've been working on a fuel terminal for the last three months and the more I play with the track and lay it out on the board, the less I like where it's going.

As a result, I'm now looking for ideas on how best to use the space I have ( 1 ft wide by 9 ft long ) which is dictated by the available room in my garage.

I'd like to move away from Hornby to Peco track (I've already got a number of Peco points that I'd like to reuse) for the layout.

I'm looking to implement some sort of freight operation to do my GBRf Class 66 justice but I just can't get past a two-road layout with a head-shunt so all ideas are more than welcome!

I've been looking at loads of the layouts on this site and I'm really impressed, but I've hit a mental block when it comes to creating my own layout!

There is a small chance I might be able to negotiate a slightly wider layout, but I won't be able to extend beyond the 9ft length.

Thanks in advance for all advice,

Matt

Thanks Iain,

I had thought about a freight terminal of some sort, I just can't visualise how it might be laid out!

Given a length of 9ft, would you recommend a fiddle yard or leave it off on this size?

I've only just returned to this after about 15 years and this is my first layout as an adult.

Previously I had a 6' x 3' "roundy-roundy" with very little scenary so I've never done it "properly"!

Thanks again,

M.

Im new to it all aswell mate so someone with more experience will be able to help you better than me. Ive had my layout down and lifted so many times ive lost count, for exactly the same reasons as yourself. Im currently trying to build a TMD,which aint going that well!

OK, so based on the "Warmington" layout, I've come up with the following:

post-13884-0-69987800-1331650517_thumb.jpg

The idea is that the locos can come out of the sheds, pick up the intermodals and then head off down the mainline.

I've also added a small commuter station that will allow me to run DMU/EMU units.

I've tried not to copy the Warmington layout exactly, however I am well aware that there are a large number of similarities in the layout - I hope that this doesn't infringe on anyone's copyright?

All comments/criticisms welcomed,

Matt

In short, no problem borrowing someone elses track scheme. As I read someone else say, there is only so many ways you can layout points. Heck it's easy to have a layout that looks oh so similar to someone elses. Classic example is my current design, the station layout has a LOT in common with 'minories' yet i'd not seen the layout prior to designing mine.

• RMweb Gold

Matt,

You might get more responses on the "Layout and Track Design" forum.

9' is a short length to play with in 4mm scale modern image. But, apart from Warmington, there are some good examples on RMweb for you to gain inspiration from such as Outon Road.

If you are worried about being too much of a copy of Warmington, you could always build in mirror image.

I would suggest that you put in some sort of loading shed about 3' long at one end of the layout with the exit and fiddle yard/traverser concealed behind it. Shed should be for something that is transported in shorter two-axle vans.

Mmm idea.. something like a steal mill or similar with a loading shed ( as per Joseph's suggestion).. the reason I mentioned a mill is you want something with OPEN wagons..

You have a traverser that forms the fiddle yard at that end. Full wagons depart down the mainline.. and re-appear via the traverser out of the shed.. empties do the reverse. Traverser would need at least 3 lanes, 2 for the emptying/filling and a third for storage. You could also hide a second small 3 foot cassette fiddle yard on the other end of the 'mainline' with something in front of it.

Thanks Joseph, How do I get the thread moved? Any idea?

M.

Just report it, I've reported it for you though :) (don't worry though - it's the standard way of alerting the mods, we use it for anything not just 'bad' posts - for example for stickies or as in this case, moving).

Katier, thanks for the report and the suggestions - I'm liking the idea of a steel mill or similar - would that replace the platform?

As far as the traverser is concerned, I've run out of room - the 9' limit is hard and fast, I don't have any more room in my garage - so I'm not too sure where that would fit in either?

• RMweb Gold

For a steel unloading shed, have a look at Horseley Fields. Good idea from Katier as it's a good building to hide a traverser as they are tall (for the internal cranes). Wagons would be bogies rather than 2-axle but quite short as steel is heavy.

Shed and traverser would be at one end of the layout. No reason why you can not still keep platform on single main line but leave the possibility of adding a fiddle yard beyond the platform if you ever do get room to expand or take the layout out to shows.

Being honest that looks an optimistic track plan for 1ft wide. Pallet Lane was 8'6" by 9" in original form and is 3 tracks wide with platform, the track plan is in this months Railway Modeller. It is a nice track plan to operate with 3 freight train plus a DMU but train length is compromised by the fiddle yard length to a mainline loco plus 3 TTA's.

• RMweb Gold

I have just done a quick sketch on Trax 2 of Katier's idea. It definitely works but would be much better if you can widen the board to about 1'4". Note that I have added a bit of a curve to the single-track main line and the visible headshunt and sidings. It always makes a layout look so much more realistic.

Now, let's see if I can figure how to add the drawing..........

post-14663-0-93850100-1331655730_thumb.jpg

Hmmm, ok, I'm liking the layout with the steelworks and the traverser, I'm now thinking that the DMU stuff can go (the only real "passenger" train I've got is a class 43 in the original livery) so that opens out the layout somewhat to other posibilities.

I do like the idea of some kind of intermodal freight on the layout somewhere because I think I'd get bored of shipping steel everywhere after a while(!) but I'll work with these ideas and see what I come up with.

Thanks all! :)

Right, another go having thought about this overnight and looked at more excellent layouts including those suggested above:

post-13884-0-37257400-1331712432_thumb.jpg

This gives me:

1) A small area to model (3' x 1') - I've never done this properly, so starting with an entire 9' fuel terminal was probably always going to be overly ambitious...

2) Space to run both a Class 66 and a 150/350 set (I've not bought the 150 or 350 yet, but I'd really like one... ;) )

3) Two fiddle yards that are seperate boards so when I "expand" I can reuse them in the new layout

4) "Storage" for the 66 and my little shunter in the two sheds

Trains run on to the board from the left or right at the top, and there is an additional exit at the bottom right onto the right-hand fiddle yard.

I think there's enough track next to the fuel point to have my 66 refueling and let other locos pass, however I'll need to test this!

I've not decided exactly how I'll "hide" the transition points to the yards, however it will probably be a road-bridge on the right and a tunnel on the left.

I'd love to do curved track as part of the layout, however I think that's probably beyond my skill set at the moment (getting the angles right!) so I'll stick with straight/set-track for now.

All thoughts are welcome,

Thanks again for all the advice,

Matt.

what limits the length of the layout? is it a physical wall or is it 'household management' / 'she who must be obeyed'?

if the latter then a clip on traverser that stores under the layout when not in use would be a way round adding length only when in use - that's my plan for my 1x8ft, the traverser will have a tight but off scene corner before reaching the traverser to bring it round a corner, however, being N gauge I don't need as much space to turn the corner.

I noticed you're wanting to switch from Hornby to Peco track and I'm curious as to why, if you're using code 100 (standard 00 track) then the two are fully compatible.

it's a physical wall. :(

I''m really starting to think that a small layout to begin with is the way forward, I can always extend in future as was done with Outon Road* (I'd build all three parts as seperate "modules"), I like the idea of being able to run the trains on to the traverser, move the "live" track and run a different engine out.

As far as switching from Hornby to Peco is concerned, I'm just more impressed with the quality of the Peco stuff (especially the points!) than with the Hornby.

I'm also starting to switch away from Hornby for the rolling stock - I've recently purchased both Hornby and Bachmann and the build quality of the Bachmann stuff blows Hornby out the water IMHO.

* Note: I am in no-way connected with Outon Road, I just liked the simplicity!

• RMweb Gold

I'd love to do curved track as part of the layout, however I think that's probably beyond my skill set at the moment (getting the angles right!) so I'll stick with straight/set-track for now.

Matt.

I can check back on Trax to see what angle I skewed the track to. I think it was 3 deg off parallel. So all you need is a cheap protractor and you can easily draw line onto the baseboard to follow. Having drawn the straights on the main line (including the point), all you need to do is lay flexitrack to meet up with lines. On a layout this size, you can do that perfectly well by eye.

OK, I've re-arranged the track slightly to give the following layout:

post-13884-0-36585800-1331754399_thumb.jpg

This gives me a fenced-off area for either intermodal or flask wagons "resting" before carying on up the line.

I've placed every wagon/loco I've got on the revised layout to see what it might look like and I have to say that I'm pretty pleased with the result:

6836621756_11004dac0f_b.jpg

6836623310_426a140c93_b.jpg

6982751335_86acba1258_b.jpg

6982773071_2213e0829c_b.jpg

My plan is to run a sprinter or similar instead of the class 43, but it gives an idea of what the layout will look like :)

All comments welcome as always,

M.

Archived