Smrzovka - Czech TT scale -next show is Faversham in September 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Very sensible - I was also on the tour and endured the totter back down to Liberec on the Sunday - we averaged about 6km/h for about 8 hours. Still, there was a plentiful supply of free beer!

I'm one of the 3 that Taigatrommel mentioned - a couple of possible Czech TT layout doodles and stock requirement lists have been added to the layout build file.

I gather that the dark beer on the train was drunk by the afternoon. Luckily our beers in Liberec were cheap by UK prices.

There are quite a few good model shops around the Czech Republic although lunchtime closing on Saturdays is a bit of a pain.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The layout will be at the GRS show in Didcot this Sunday.

One new loco will be on use, a class 714 by MTB. Needs a little bit of weathering but the Dapol Easi Shunt couplers have already been fitted into the factory fitted NEM boxes

post-1557-0-35945500-1524474677_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 5

Just came across this thread by chance as I usually hang around in the Continental section of this forum.

Looks a excellent layout, liked the video’s as well. I’m trying to do something similar in HO, admittedly modelling a freelance Czech location (and not as well).

Hopefully MTB will get around to producing a 714 in 1/87 at some point.

Thanks,

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Just came across this thread by chance as I usually hang around in the Continental section of this forum.

Looks a excellent layout, liked the video’s as well. I’m trying to do something similar in HO, admittedly modelling a freelance Czech location (and not as well).

Hopefully MTB will get around to producing a 714 in 1/87 at some point.

Thanks,

Neil

The 714s generally don't get to Smrzovka but as we have been hauled by them a number of times and we late friend detailed a resin version we had to get the MTB one. However an HO version would be spot on for our Dobris HO layout as our first visit to Dobris was in one of four trailers hauled by a 714

Edited by roundhouse

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wow its changed a fair bit but good to see the staiton building, old loco shed and the coal unloading is still there. We were hoping to do a railtour through there this weekend but it clashed with a show with another layout.

Thanks for posting.

The layout is now over 10 years old but we still get the occasional invite and have one for next year yet to be confirmed.

More once its confirmed.

Edited by roundhouse

• 4 months later...

Just come across this website which has lots of information and photos of the station before and after the rebuild. There's also photos of the splendid curving viaduct after the station.

Obviously a lot of character has gone but I hope the bar is there for when I ride the line in summer.

http://www.vlakregion.cz/trate/036/dopravny/smrzovka/smrzovka.html

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Its changed quite a bit since we modelled it and even more since our last visit there.

I notice that the goodshed has gone aswell as the water tower / signal cabin opposite the old engine shed. I suppose its good for the branch that money is being spent upgrading it but not so interesting for a layout these days.

The layout is out at the St Neots club show that will be in Kettering this year. Some new stock to run on it aswell.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Time to get the layout set up and tested before the upcoming East Anglian show in Kettering . There is new stock to test aswell such as the modern single railcars that currently run on the route along with the rebuilt 4 wheel railcars to form a two car DMU.

Edited by roundhouse

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's a long time since I posted on here.

We may have a show this time next year subject to confirmation.

In the mean time the layout is still boxed up since its last show in Kettering in 2019 so in the near future it will be set up to give it a check over.

I have finally almost finished a four wheel preserved coach that can still be seen behind special trains. It's a Czech plastic kit that has been languishing on the workbench for many years. So long that the decals started to break up when I tried to add them a year or so ago.

I have used Microtrains Decal film to try and rejuvenate them. I managed to get the main ones on the coach but the others were still breaking up.

The coach just requires coupling but I need to ask our fellow operator what couplings his rake has as I can't remember since they were last used.

20220916_172606.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The layout was loaded into the car this morning.

Unfortunately not for a, show but to allow the electric meter to be replaced.

No upcoming shows either, unfortunately but it will be set up this Summer to give it a good check over and cobweb clean just incase any invites do come.

IMG-20230414-WA0000.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Railpassion said:

Smrzovka was blazing a trail. I'm sure many who saw it began to think of the advantages of TT. 

I hope you get an invite soon.

Thanks

It would be nice to get it back on the show circuit again as its all still in good working order.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Smrzovka has its first show since the pandemic. It will be at the Bognor Regis show in January 2024.

So that does mean that I will be getting the layout out of its sotrage location and giving it a check through. Rolling stock will also get a little bit of attention.

We did also receive an invite for another show in the Autumn further North but unfortunately it clashes with other shows.

• Like 1

• roundhouse changed the title to Smrzovka - Czech TT scale -Next show is Bognor Regis January 2024
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

With about a month to go before the layouts first show in quite a few years, the boards are now in the shed ready to be set up and checked but all looks good so far with jus a few cobwebs to clear.

I have now made a start on  checking the rolling stock and the first loco out of the box, a resin body Bardotka has lost two of its buffer heads. One was in the box but the other nowhere o be seen so a replacement brass one has been fabricated. 

I think that the loco must have been knocked and with no coupling to protect the buffers I have now started to fi a Microtrains coupler to this end to match the other end.

The loco has been cleaned and given a test run so its all working fine.

20231219_092541.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Veselé Vánoce

Thats Merry Christmas in Czech.

Currently working on this Bardotka resin body loco that has been lying around for many years, so its abou time that I got it finished. I have a Bullant motor bogie for this although one geared axle was used to replace a slightly stripped one inanother loco some years ago but hopefully it will get his loco running.

20231225_110151.jpg.3e52eb014452fac9aff93e61eab132f5.jpg

The loco has just had its first coat of red.

20231225_111906.jpg.946ace635c443d7e9d5d0b9f4cd9cee4.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

With just a few days to go before the layout is at the Bognor show the layout has been tested and only one dry joint on a, SEEP solenoid, a broken solder connected turnout blade plus a, worn out turnout push button. All quickly resolved. Not bad after 18 years since the layout was built plus its not used for 5 years.

The scenery has a had a brush down but very few cobwebs to remove.

I have also decided to wire up one of the All Components turnout indicator boards in the right hand panel. It's been sitting in the panel all these years. The left hand panel was already wired  some years ago.

20240111_085751.jpg

20240111_163817.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• roundhouse changed the title to Smrzovka - Czech TT scale -was at the Bognor Regis January 2024
  • RMweb Gold

We had a very good weekend at the Bognor Regis show. It was very busy both days.

Lots of interest in the layout with quite a few people with family members from the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

We certainly enjoyed the show with good hospitality from the club. Just shows that despite recent modelling news the hobby is still alive.

The layout performed well.

20240114_152526.jpg

20240114_153932.jpg

• Like 8