New announcements from Bachmann

Andy Y

Bachmann on Track for another good year in 2012

Bachmann Europe Plc today announced its plans for 2012 at The Model & Hobby Show, the annual trade event held in Coventry. Despite the economic downturn, the company has just recorded its best ever trading year during 2011 and aims to build on its position as Manufacturer of the Year with another exciting programme of new models.

In recent years we have introduced a number of OO scale historical steam locomotive types into our Branchline range. Over the next 18 months we will see the release of four more steam locomotives including our first ever Scottish prototype to feature in the range. Known as the Scottish Directors, 24 LNER Class D11 4-4-0’s were built after the Grouping in 1923 to Robinson’s successful Great Central design. Further classic locomotive types are being introduced with a Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway 2-4-2T and the Great Central / LNER J11 0-6-0 goods locomotives affectionately known as “Pom Poms”. Following on from the successful 3F 0-6-0 introduced last year Bachmann are introducing the Midland Railway Fowler 4F 0-6-0 a type which remained in service until 1966.

We have built up a good reputation for producing three 1st generation Diesel Multiple Unit types in recent years and the new catalogue features a two car Class 101, now added to the roster to complement the Class 105, 108 and Derby Lightweight units already in the range.

Coaching stock sees the introduction of a new range of Southern parcels vans whilst new OO scale freight stock includes a Midland 20T brake van, PCA’ Metalair’ tank wagon, 10T LNER Fish van and an A type container to run on a conflat wagon.

Having taken over the Graham Farish range in 2000 we have, since then, maintained a programme of replacing inherited models with new versions using modern tooling techniques. We also have to balance this with introducing models that have not previously been available before.

Although they have appeared in the range before, new N scale models of Blue Riband standards are being introduced of the LMS Princess Coronation 4-6-2, SR Merchant Navy in original streamlined condition, BR Standard 4MT 2-6-4T and the Class 55 Deltic. These are brand new models in every respect and surpass those previously available. The 57xx and 8750 pannier tanks will retain their existing body work but will benefit from brand new chassis. A Class 37/4 variant is also being introduced into the fleet of Class 37 locomotives currently available.

Brand new locomotives not previously available in N scale are the LNER A2 Class

4-6-2 and Class 70 ‘Powerhaul’ diesel locomotive now in service with Freightliner.

A range of Southern Region Bulleid coaches is being introduced and include Brake Corridor Second, Second Corridor, Second Open and Composite Corridor versions. The new Mark 1 coaches introduced over the last couple of years sees the inclusion of an FK (First Corridor) coach. BR Mk2A coaches which feature a TSO (Tourist Standard Open), FK (First Corridor) and BSO (Brake Second Open) are also being introduced. Also new is the BR Mk1 Horse Box which operated as part of passenger trains on many occasions, the CCT 4 wheel van is also to be added to the range. New wagons include the modern ‘Polybulk’ bogie hopper and the 24T iron ore hopper.

These models will be released over the next 18 months.

Graham Hubbard, Managing Director of Bachmann Europe Plc said today “Bachmann Europe continues to go from strength to strength both here and in Germany. We have assembled another exciting programme of new releases which we believe will be welcomed by many over the next 18 months”.

Quick Run Down

Branchline

LNER D11-2 Scottish Director 4-4-0

LNER J11 0-6-0 ‘Pom Pom’

Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway 2-4-2T

Midland Railway 4F 0-6-0

Class 101 DMU

Midland Compound 4-4-0

GWR 3700 ‘City Class 4-4-0

Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2T (chassis upgrade to DCC)

GWR Modified Hall Class 4-6-0 (chassis upgrade to DCC)

Midland 20T Brake van with and without Duckets

PCA Metailair Tank wagon

10T LNER Fish Van

A Type container to run on conflate wagon

SR 4 wheel PLV / PMV / CCT 10 Ton utility van

Graham Farish

SR Mechant Navy (Streamlined) 4-6-2

LMS Princess Coronation 4-6-2 (non streamlined)

LNER A2 Class 4-6-2

BR 80xxx 4MT 2-6-4T

Class 37/4

Class 55 Deltic

Class 70 Powerhaul

57xx / 8750 0-6-0PT (chassis upgrade)

Bulleid coaches

Mark 2A coaches

Mark 1 FK (First Corridor)

Mark 1 Horsebox

CCT 4 whell van

24T iron ore hopper

Polybulk hopper

Interesting angle on the Farish Merchant Navy - another head to head coming up.

Glad the A2 has also downsized and at least Bulleid and Mark 2a coaches(which will go very nice with the Dapol Western when it arrives in N).

And of course the 4mm models will be brilliant when they are shrunk in 18-36 months, always fancied an LYR 2-4-2 and a Pom Pom.

Just as well I've held off doing a chassis for the Airfix/Hornby 4F ..... Will still do it though. I was told a 4F was in the offing.

Also seem to be working their way through the Parkside catalogue.... Hope they do a better job than the LNER Steel open.

Dave Franks.

Seems like a "holding" year,

Too right. Virtually nothing for modern image at all except the 101. A very welcome addition that will be though.

The non appearance of a BEP is perhaps the biggest surprise. Not my scene, but I thought that was almost inevitable.

Still patiently waiting for a headcode 24.

Great result with the 4mm 101 DMU which I guessed they would announce, was surprised they have not announced 4mm BR CCT especially as they are doing an N gauge one but suggests we may get one next year if the logic follows on the 101.

Nice to see the 101 in 4mm at last as it saves me hunting down another Lima one. The Metalair has been well worth the wait too!

As for the D11/2, one can only imagine if it bodes well for the GC version later..... :)

Wow. Something for everybody there. Anyone checked to see if Larry's not fallen over? ;-)

Dave.

What will he make of the J11?

Wibble......

Nice to see the 101 in 4mm at last as it saves me hunting down another Lima one. The Metalair has been well worth the wait too!

As for the D11/2, one can only imagine if it bodes well for the GC version later..... :)

They better had...

• RMweb Gold

What a fascinating selection - hope it all turns out a success for them (I wonder what condition the Lanky tank will be in - 'as preserved' or 'as running in later years'? All will no doubt become clear - it has, very good news that it's not in 'preserved' condition Now how many found their way to ex LNW sheds in South Wales?)

Guest Max Stafford

Meant to say. Extremely pleased with the D11, Compound, 101 and rolling stock. A bold, broad spread here, the likes of which I never seen before. The compound and 4F will be useful to scratch my Sou'West itch.

Dave.

Re-issue of Mk2a TSO coaches in OO, due June/July (see Bachmann website). At least we won't have to pay £30.00 on ebay for them. I'd better have a chat with the Bank Manager.

Branchline 2012-13

GWR 3700 ‘City Class 4-4-0 [YES}

GWR Modified Hall Class 4-6-0 (chassis upgrade to DCC) [YES TO ALL VERSIONS]

Next move is to buy the catalogue. When are they out?

Are there any new Western Region coaches?

Archived