New announcements from Bachmann

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

4F useful for S&DJR layouts :)

No Terrier then, leaving me free for a few months to get designing mine ;)

Shame there are no new coaches at all in 4mm, but I wonder if the Bulleids in N will be brand new designs, or just shrinks of the existing 4mm ones?

Guest Tom F

Well well Bachmann. Very interesting.

A Pom Pom! Excellent, I just need to start looking for allocations! :P

Scottish Director is very interesting move. As Tim says, I too wonder if a GCR won't be far away!

I also wonder if I can use a compound...hmmmm

Well done Bachmann! :D

Tom

MaxStafford said :

Anyone checked to see if Larry's not fallen over? ;-)

W o w!!!! Who would have believed it, a L&Y 2-4-2T. Yes pleeeeeeze.

LNER D11-2 Scottish Director 4-4-0.............. (Yep, I'll be rebuilding this into an English variant)

LNER J11 0-6-0 ‘Pom Pom’........................... ( Yes please)

Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway 2-4-2T........ (Oh yes! I can use a couple of those)

Midland Railway 4F 0-6-0.................................(Thank you... I was right!)

Class 101 DMU

Midland Compound 4-4-0................................(Hey, wot about the LMS version....?)

GWR 3700 ‘City Class 4-4-0............................(Doubters eat your words, I was right)

Well a tad disapointed a Scottish D11 which never went south and a J11 that only went for a limited time to the GER otherwise GCR based . It looks like Bachmann a maximising there use of the GCR tender!! icon_eek.gif

A LMS 2-4-2 tank dont know the prototype, I wonder if it could be bashed into a LNER version ? I need a F8 personally.

Fish van will be most welcome, and will have few.

Surprised no buildings annouced , perhaps the prices icon_eek.gif are slowing sales?

I am amazed a A2/3 never arrived , perhaps one for Hornby who should also jump on the V2 too.

Looking at Farish's site, the A4,A3 and Poole Southern Pacifics are all gone, which is fine as Dapol have theirs on the way.

From the old Poole days only the 4F (with a new OO on the way), the Jinty (not a bad model) and the 8F now remain for steam.

Modern outline looks a bit more odd as there are new 25s in blue and green on the existing Poole tooling which is a surprise, there is also a Maroon Western, the NR 31, a blue 50 and the 40s in a couple of liveries. Having the 31 and 50 in only a single livery makes me think these are tactical sales with an expectation of replacement (Dapol?) but more Poole 25s is a real surprise I would have thought that was an obvious downsize from OO.

I guess we will have to wait on Dapol's announcement to appreciate exactly what is in the public view for the next 18 months and then guess perhaps what secret models there might be for the N gauge show and/or Warley.

Shame there are no new coaches at all in 4mm, but I wonder if the Bulleids in N will be brand new designs, or just shrinks of the existing 4mm ones?

Yes, I wondered the same thing. If they are a new design, they could be a portent for a future update for the 00 versions. Not this year but maybe next year?

As for the D11/2, one can only imagine if it bodes well for the GC version later..... :)

I suspect it pretty much guarantees it, even if it turns out initially as an NRM release in 'Butler-Henderson' guise. With the O4, GCR station buildings and now J11 under their belt, I'd be frankly amazed if they don't do the GC version...

A good year for London Midland releases as well- 4F and Compound aren't a massive surprise, given the reaction to the the NRM Compound, the continued 4F frothing, and the fact that Hornby only warmed theirs over with a new chassis, the Midland brake van is a nice bonus, and the L&Y 2-4-2T a huge, but very welcome surprise!

Interesting angle on the Farish Merchant Navy - another head to head coming up.

Dapol did last year, I believe.

IIRC Dapol anounced a 'Light Pacific' only (West Country/Battle of Britain) not an MN

Overall the N Guage looks a sensible spread without being too ambitious. A few 'reasoned speculation' items confirmed (Class 70, A2, 37/4) and a few 'wishlist' items fulfilled (Bulleid, Mk2 coaches)

Suprises - the MN given Dapol are doing the Light Pacifics though I suppose GF would want something of 'their own' to go with the Bulleid coaches, The Standard 4MT Tank - OK a few parts in the box already from the 3MT and Std 4 Tender loco but personally I would have preferred a Fairburn or Stanier version of the 2-6-4...

Dissapointment - no expansion of the Stanier coach range to include 60/64ft length coaches such as the very common CK...

Can anyone clarify which '4 Wheel CCT' please?

Can anyone clarify which '4 Wheel CCT' please?

I would imagine it'll be the entirely planked variety, which would share common parts with the PMV (and yes, I do know that both vehicles were of the plywood variety too). However, I would not be surprised in the slightest to eventually see all forms of the CCT/PMV family.

Tim said :

As for the D11/2, one can only imagine if it bodes well for the GC version later.....

For those who don't wish to wait, the Scottish directors differed from their English counterparts only in having shorter chimney, dome and cab roof to clear the NBR loading gauge, and no water pickup on the tender.

Some English loco had a shorter dome in later years similar to the Scottish version. So things to do are : Alter cab roof (that should be interesting) and tender top, and replace chimney and dome.

As for those folk saying "Please show sympathy for those of us who missed out", may I suggest they read the results of the poll where the Southern had a pretty good showing. If SR locos (and D&E types) aren't in the current listing, it might be because Bachmann isn't in the business of taking gambles particularly in the current economic climate. In otherwords, wish-lists dont necessarily convert into orders. The fact that the LYR 2-4-2T came as a complete suprise clearly shows Bachmann has a business nose for what will sell.

Will people stop using the word "balanced" - no Southern, no Modern traction and no new carriages.

A bit of sympathy for those who have missed out, please.

In fairness, there will be the 40, a bunch of class 47 reliveries (NSE, Scotrail, Red stripe, IC Swallow, RfD and RES), a brace of new 37s, and another 70, so unless by modern you mean the DRS Vossloh Eurolight, or an Electrostar, I'm not too sure what you're getting at here.

There's no Class 24 with a headcode box either but I'm not looking for sympathy - there's plenty of good quality additions throughout the range when you rake through it, and there's so much more to life than locos.

• RMweb Gold

What a lovely collection of stuff! I'm especially pleased about the... actually, I'm especially pleased about all of it. The 'City' was only to be expected, but I am quite surprised that the exclusivity arrangement on the Compound seems to have been so short lived.

Well... I got the idea of new class 47s and 66s right, although Ive thought that it could be Res and Intercity that get done, Ive written WCRC on the t'other thread. Brilliant to see my favourite Res 47 chosen, 47790 Saint David / Dewi Sant, though thats pretty obvious why, as well as a standard Intercity class 47. Scotrail will be a popular choice too. With class 66s the Colas 66744 is a rather odd choice, though it might be something to do with modelling a companies engines and since the engine has swapped from Colas to GBRf, who Bachmann have modelled before, then permissions have already been given. If thats the case then its rather clever but would Colas have minded? Note to Bachmann: 66731 in the new GBRf Europorte livery is showing at the bottom of the new steam locos list.

The class 101 is ineed a welcome addition, and bound to be hugely popular given their geographic operation and is bound to obliterate opposition from other models of the type.

With steam, it looks like a holding year. The City class was expected to go to general release, following the NRM commission, but the J11 and D11 are interesting choices. I am happy for those North of the Border, (I guessed a Scottish engine would feature) who get a Scottish engine, while those down south are obviously thinking that like the ROD and GWR varient, the GC version will follow. I sincerly hope that the production of J11 and D11 doesnt mean that Great Central motive power is the area that is selected over the choice of other regions that made up the LNER and latter Eastern Region, and absence of anything between GC and Scotland leaves me disapointed.

Archived