New announcements from Bachmann

Andy Y

No question about it, it's a very balanced selection. What with the nice EMUs and stock from Barwell and other sources over the last few years I hope you'll understand if I'm a little less sympathetic than I might be! ;-)

In other news;

The North Eastern's time will indeed come in due course, just not this year due to the LNER's over diverse fleet but next year you might get a GE and NE selection so keep calm and carry on!

Dave.

I bloody hope so....

All good stuff really, we really are spoilt nowadays!

When I was a youngster, the wait for the Triang-Hornby catalogue was a big anti climax in comparison, 1 or 2 new bits and bobs and a few re liveries if you were lucky, but the big difference would be the shops could order more once they sold out....

My only criticism is the lack of DCC movement in the Farish range, nothing DCC onboard and no sign of any sound yet, I'd have thought the all new Deltic would have been a great start, and the streamlined Bullied would offer lots of internal room too?...

Personally, I had hoped between Hornby and Bachmanns announcements that I'd have something jump out at me as to what direction I'd be taking with my post redundancy/early retirement modelling but there are lots of, "hmmmm"s, but no "wow!"s.....

But that just shows how well served we are already!

Angus

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy for the update! Delighted to see the Pendon models, saw a sample on their stand at an exhibition last year and if they are all up to that standard they will be very, very desirable. Pleased to see the Network 57 but surprised that they haven't done a SWT 450. Still waiting for upgraded Bulleid coaches. Perhaps once they have done the N ones (properly) they may fountain upwards to OO.

Godfrey

• RMweb Gold

Overall a fairly good mix. Like others, the BEP and 450 are obvious omissions, but I'm sure they'll appear in due course. D3963 in weathered green will do me fine - an Old Oak Common loco for many years - but lots more in there to dent my bank balance.

Thankyou to Andy for the timely posting of the announcements. Best of luck to those eagerly awaiting to open their wallets on new purchases. Im certain tho that there are a few disappointed Southern/Southern Region modellers out there. I was really hoping there might be a new Southern loco amongst the list. Oh well its not the end of the world better luck next time and all that. My credit card has stopped quivering for now!

Attached a complete list of New Bachmann releases for those not wanting to sift through the website.

Cheers,

Bruce

Thanks for that.

I think the Southern must be overstocked at the retailers.

Just the one new livery "proper" Southern Region engine, plus a couple of suitable Standards. No new EMU liveries (let alone the 4-BEP / 4-EPBs which might have been hoped for).

Likewise NO green coaches - just the PLV/PMVs.

I hope the L & Y R 2-4-2Ts run well that is interesting.

Would have liked to have seen another EMU or electric loco but at least the reliveries are on decent tooling, not like the stuff farmed out at the other firm!

Network rail 57 for me ,will take a look at the 101 but may wait for a more recent livery such as reggie rail!

mark

• RMweb Premium

Looking at this announcement in a non partisan way, which I wish a few people might try to do, I can only say that Bachmann have done an excellent job. There is still a very large market for steam products and in particular a demand for more of the smaller and less glamorous types. Bachmann have already tapped in to that demand, and continue so to do in a well thought out and logical way. So far as locos are concerned "small is beautiful" might be the best description of their policy, with 4.4.0's and 06.0's to the fore. That L&Y tank is a complete surprise, and until recently I would have said we would never see the likes of that in RTR form. It pushes the boundaries even further though - what else might we see in future if this is anything to go by. It's a very individual looking design, handsome in it s own way, and I reckon a lot of folk will stretch reality to justify one. The 4F is a very logical follow on from the 3F, competitvely priced, cheaper I think than Hornby's warmed over effort, and with the added variety of the original Midland type. As Coachmann has pointed out, the scope is there for doing just about every variant of this huge class in the future. The Compound fits in beautifully to the trend too, and the GW gets another Edwardian loco.

I really am delighted for Scottish modellers, who must be the most ignored of all. OK, there will be some who would have preferred a true Scottish design, but it's a good start isn't it? And the original GC type is bound to follow.... No new range of coaches, but the porthole stock isn't here yet, so perhaps not surprising.

For some, there is little or nothing, but that will always happen. We can't all have what we want every year. There are some near misses for me personally - I'm waiting for a D11/1, and my preferred choice of LNER 0.6.0 would have been a J6. I can use a 4F, and if I push things a bit, a Compound. No A2/3, no retooled V2 or Thompson corridors - so what! I congratulate Bachmann on a well thought out and progressive programme, aimed very firmly at modellers, and taking into account the trends that have been showing recently, and which they have effectively led. They had a very good year last year, and with policies like this they deserve, and will I hope get another very good result over the next 18 months. And next March, some people who aren't personally over the moon about this announcement will be when another interesting and well thought out batch of models for the serious modeller is announced.

Oh, and I now don't have to contemplate building 25 fish vans. :D

Gentlemen,

For those of us who are Scottish modellers, or modellers who model all things Scottish, this year produces quite a decent selection. The D11/2 is welcome and no doubt a canny bit of planning for Bachmann, as if sales are flat (which I doubt they will be), they can always add a bigger lum and turn it into a pure GCR loco. I'm sure most of would have a preferred a pre-grouping loco, but it's a start at least, and a very very long awaited one at that! When was the last Scottish loco released, the CR single in the 60s?

Anyway, having had a trawl through the new release list kindly provided by D400, it's come to my attention that this year Bachmann are releasing no fewer than 6, ready to go, Scottish based locos - I mention this as in the past factory produced ScR shedded locos have been few and far between.

The list:

32-135 LNER D11/2 4-4-0 62690 - Haymarket 64B

32-136 LNER D11/2 4-4-0 62677 - Haymarket 64B, Thornton Jct 62A, Dunfermline Upper 62C

32-261 WD Austerity 2-8-0 90441 - Thornton Jct 62A

32-360 BR Std 4MT 2-6-4 80121 - Kittybrewster 61A, Keith 61C, Ferryhill 61B, Polmadie 66A

32-509 BR Std 5MT 4-6-0 73109 - Eastfield 65A

32-955 BR Std 4MT 2-6-0 76109 - Thornton Jct 62A and Dunfermline Upper 62C

Needless to say, as someone whose interests are almost exclusively ScR steam, especially on the former NB system, this is very good news indeed and I can forsee all 6 joining my fleet upon release!

Bravo Bachmann!

Now how about some more ScR A2s?

Thank you Andy for the news :)

D11 and J11 - I am over the moon and then some.

What a beautifully balanced and well thought out new product range. The L&Y 2-4-2T is a surprise, but what a surprise.

Well done Bachmann! :)

I thought you were supposed to be at WORK !!!!! :no: :no: :no:

• RMweb Gold

Can I inject a note of reality here. This is all well and good, but as they still have not completed the release of their 2011 models (vis C Class and several wagons I have been waiting for) its not much good making further future announcements.

Finish your dinner Bachmann before you ask for pudding

• RMweb Premium

At least some of my predictions have come true, notably a complete set of Scenecraft buildings for Highley and a Scottish loco, but not the type I'd anticipated. Maybe a D11/1 will turn up as a NRM exclusive??

The Shillingstone buildings came as a real surprise ... I might fancy buying some of them as a what-if scenario if the S&D lasted beyond 1966.

Overall, pretty good for those modelling the ex-Great Central from both major manufacturers now.

I can now rest easy as there's not a huge amount of stuff I'm interested to buy, but I'm sure the 101s will go down very well and quite a few limited editions commissioned.

I cannot help but wonder how Hornby HQ are feeling this morning, I hope they are looking at it, and especially the reaction its caused, thinking 'We need to pull our socks up' or something similar rather than 'Don't worry about that old rubbish, we've got Lord Coe popping in for tea.'

I'd certainly hope at the very least they're responding to the appearance of another LMS/LMR passenger tank by thinking 'there's a definite market for LMS non-corridor stock next year'...

• RMweb Gold

...which is a bit like saying there's no point in Network Rail thinking about how it will prepare to confront the challenges of Control Period 5 while we're still in CP4.

No, the point is if they cant deliver their 2011/12 promises until q2 or later of 2012/13 when do you actually think some of these announcements will actually be in the shops?

Don't hold your breath

Archived