New announcements from Bachmann

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

The NSE 47 will be finding a home on my shed, just hope Bachmann are careful as there are a lot of pitfalls with minor livery variations on these, indeed I remain to be convinced that there were two NSE 47's identical to each other!! 47707 is a smooth cab No 1 end so will need to look carefully for others with this configuration as at least two will be heading my way.

What chances are there of centre cars for the 101's at a later date? Also what betting that a NSE 101 will be the Collectors Club model next year...

coachmann said :

LNWRmodeller responded : I'll bet you were just as suprised as anyone and so sarcasm or sour grapes doesn't become you. :nono:

A company you have some connection with produces the LYR 2-4-2T kit doesn't it? Assuming Bachmann is producing the 2P version as preserved, just think of all the 3P Belpiare version bodyline kits you can sell to go on Bachmann chassis... Why, I'll buy one too....

Larry,

Surprised that it was the L&Y Tank, perhaps, that it is something out of LRM's catalogue is no surprise.last year the MR 3F, this year the L&Y Radial Tank, which one next?

Clearly, kit manufacturers have produced what they felt would sell, so it's no coincidence that Bachmann and Co would do the same and that there would be some "cross over" with any of the kit manufacturers. As the RTR manufacturers look for more prototypes to model, the obvious ones they will produce that ran over the longest period and especially into BR days as they are unlikely to produce the coaching stock to go with pre-group or early grouping versions of these locos.

Also, those that exist as preserved locos and can be "scanned", are the most likely candidates. So the majority of LNWR locos are unlikely to get RTR'd, Hardwick being the exception.

Any sarcasm I might have would be directed at those that so claim they so desperately need a particular model that they spend all their wishing for it on RMWeb, rather than getting on and building one. And reading the posts within these Bachmann threads, I don't think that those modellers would bother to build the 3F version of the L&Y Tank, or the round top boiler version of the MR 3F from a kit to go with their RTR model, do you? RTR is where their modelling lies, not in making things.

Jol

Any sarcasm I might have would be directed at those that so claim they so desperately need a particular model that they spend all their wishing for it on RMWeb, rather than getting on and building one. And reading the posts within these Bachmann threads, I don't think that those modellers would bother to build the 3F version of the L&Y Tank, or the round top boiler version of the MR 3F from a kit to go with their RTR model, do you? RTR is where their modelling lies, not in making things.

Jol

Bit harsh. Not everyone enjoys building locomotive kits (or has the ability to build them to an acceptable standard).

Bit harsh. Not everyone enjoys building locomotive kits (or has the ability to build them to an acceptable standard).

But if you are modelling pre-grouping I would expect that the RTR manufacturers lists would not be the first port of call when looking for models.

We're very spoilt by what's available and what's on the cards, I know there are holes, and some regions are still lightly represented. As I think some one said earlier in the thread we've come a long way when you look back 10 years.

Guest Belgian

Jol

But one of the reasons not to build kits these days is that it is well-nigh impossible to find a kit or even to scratchbuild one to the same standards of R-T-R ones! R-T-R has consigned them to the dustbins in most cases.

JE

A bit of sympathy for those who have missed out, please.

Can't quite believe I'm reading this. Sorry Phil, sympathy is something I tend to put aside for folk who have real problems - short of money, stressful jobs, poor housing, disability/poor health, dysfunctional families, sick children, have suffered bereavements, etc etc...

No, the point is if they cant deliver their 2011/12 promises until q2 or later of 2012/13 when do you actually think some of these announcements will actually be in the shops?

Don't hold your breath

Again sorry Colin, you're not the only one to talk like this but it's really becoming one of those 'oh, *why* do people say this' kind of comments. Life is hard, even without the sort of problems just mentioned - some of us like to have something to look forward to, get excited about even, and to plan for.

I still have - nowt in this for me, but they have rolled out some very nice stuff, so I am very pleased for the other 99.999% of modellers on RMweb :)

Nice one Bill. Now why can't we have a bit more of this sort of attitude?

It's really a money saving year for me and (to be honest) thank god for that. If the Scotrail 47/7 is done properley I may cave in for that and may-be the red-stripe 47 also, but nothing else.

I'm a tad disappointed there are no more SR units - I was hoping for a 4CIG following the VEP debacle and also a new numbered green 2EPB so I could have a 2x2EPB but nothing.

So Kernow thumper is the only definate purchase and I suspect we won't see that until 2013.

Steve

When will we get over this assumption that anything with an internal combustion engine is 'modern'? :scratchhead:

Well, one idea would be if contemporary modellers themselves stopped talking about their interest as 'modern image' ;)

Thor has horned me though http://www.class47.c...g=0219021430000 - could it be the first RTR Green TOPs machine?

A nice idea but doubtful - the full list shows it as D1677...

What chances are there of centre cars for the 101's at a later date? Also what betting that a NSE 101 will be the Collectors Club model next year...

The blurb says: "Three two car DMU models will be released initially". Admittedly that can be read a few ways, but a trailer car does seem about as obvious as an obvious thing. But possibly not as obvious as a 4F :sungum:

No, the point is if they cant deliver their 2011/12 promises until q2 or later of 2012/13 when do you actually think some of these announcements will actually be in the shops?

Don't hold your breath

Bachmann have announced an intent to produce, unlike Hornby they do not give fixed timed releases and quite openly say that the models " ARE DUE FOR FUTURE RELEASE". Hornby get enough flak if they miss a deadline by a day just imagine the uproar if Bachmann should miss a day. The intention is in the date of the catalogue 2012/2013

Over all a very good programme of INTENDED models for future release something for everybody.

Guest 40-something

A good selection from Bachmann for which they are to be congratulated. Nothing in particular will suit my c1970 North Glasgow goods yard layout but that's not to say I won't snaffle a Scotrail 47! Good selection in N too!

But one of the reasons not to build kits these days is that it is well-nigh impossible to find a kit or even to scratchbuild one to the same standards of R-T-R ones! R-T-R has consigned them to the dustbins in most cases.

JE

I addition to above .

In these crap times we are living in, how many people how many can afford to buy a kit plus wheels motors etc etc?.

You will not get anything for £85.00 that Bachmann will sell the L&Y thats for sure. Chances are it wont turn out nowhere as good either

Talking the moral high ground about people not wanting to make kits is not in a lot of cases true. They simply cannot afford the outlay on any high level kit which hopefully may work when built or may not or just sit in a drawer forgotten or ebayed at a loss when they give up or need the money for something else far more important to that person at that time.

RTR is still a fairly cheap way into our hobby and without this hobby would be the niche for the wealthy/well off only. Not only that we are getting on the whole superb looking and running products , for which I for one are extremely grateful.

Well done to all the manafactuers !!

A simple way of selling kits is to reduce the profit margins . I have no idea what that margin maybe , but we are in hard times for virtually everybody.

Certainly a good selection from Barwell this year - Highlights for me certainly include a 101 - But hopefully in a more modern livery in the future, Colas 66, GB 66 and a couple of the 47/7s - Will there be DRS & Colas ones in the near future? Hopefully so! But, i have to admit that im slightly disapointed that theres no new liveries class 150 wise, and still no Class 175 / 180! Maybe next year then...

As for the Colas 66 - I wonder if it will be an actual proper Colas 66 as per the pictures (66841 shown) and this could be a number error - as per the Class 57/0 57312...

http://railexclusive...hp?category=114

But overall, as already stated its another good selection of releases from barwell this year, and i too wonder what conversations will be going on down in Margate today / Tommorow!

Guest 40-something

Let's spare a thought for those kit manufacturers who've just seen one or more of their products take a nosedive in 2012 et seq sales. These are the people - the smaller suppliers - who we all laud, but they must suffer on such a day. I'm not clever enough to know all the firms involved today, but probably Parkside Dundas can now expect their range of Southern passenger vans to be gathering dust.

I may be in the minority but I still build parkside kits even when rtr versions are available

Guest dilbert

Bachmann have, I believe, pulled together a list of new items that will cover the interests of a lot of people.. They may not have addressed specific partisan requirements, but they have announced in both 4mm and 2mm scales numerous new items and upgrades. The City Class announcement is different in that it covers essentially the pre-grouping era and the prototype never saw BR operation - the majority of the class were withdrawn from service prior to 1930. I hope this is successful as it would create a precedent of producing models that are generally not considered 'mainstream' and extant in BR times.

The freight range sees a substantial number of new items.

I was interested to see given the current economic climate, how the RRP was going to evolve. In selecting a random set of items present in the 2011 range and continued in the 2012 anounncement, the price hike in the wagon range is generally around the 6%-10% range and the loco range ~7%.

There are two notable exceptions : the GWR ROD (31-129) where the RRP has been reduced by ~20% and the GWR Earl by ~7%. This could be explained by typo issues on the Bachmann website listing - it certainly bucked the price hike trend... dilbert

Interesting range of announcements, the 101 is probably no surprise but welcome, and the LMS Compound is a nice one. The L&Y 2-4-2 is interesting, as is the new 4F, and the LNER locos ought to be popular. Of particular interest though are some of the upgrades - a DCC ready 158 at last, and great news, the Mk2 TSO is back.

Considering the times and the uncertain economic situation, it looks like a good selection of upgrades, reliveries and new steam models - plus the 101 of course!

• RMweb Gold

I've always built kits as opposed to RTR (mostly). I built a Millholme Patriot when Hornby had released a RTR version for the same money as the basic kit when I was in my 20s. Opening boxes just don't do it for me. Take all sorts I suppose ;)

Guest Max Stafford

40 Something said; "I may be in the minority but I still build parkside kits even when rtr versions are available"

Good on you for it Joe. I still have a couple of PMVs to build and the onset of what will undeniably be a delightful model isn't going to stop me building them!

Dave.

JE

But only if the RTR manufacturers make a model that you want. Between them the kit manufacturers provide a far wider range of prototypes that the RTR manufacturers.

Jol

47791? surely 47790 with that name

47301 looks nice from the photographs at the bottom of the page be nice for it to come without a name!! http://www.railexclu...hp?category=114

You would have thought it was well proof read :no:

Thanks for the picture of 301, It will suit it best without a name as it was in very scrappy condition by the time Tinsley named it. A waterslide transfer would be a great compromise.

• RMweb Premium

When? and I really do mean when? and will they sort out the springs on the Midland 3F tender and make sure the 4F is OK

Great seeing ex GC locos but I wish they would deliver the outstanding announced items ......

Archived