New announcements from Bachmann

Andy Y

I wasn't really thinking in terms of BR era. Though coaches by Bulleid, Hawksworth and Thompson in BR liveries seem to attract a lot of discussion outside of the Mk1s.

My comments were indeed grouping era centric and related to locomotives being offered in the catalogues. Regarding the LNER, I get the impression that a disproprtionate number of silver and blue A4 models get sold compared to the numbers produced and their service life in this livery. Why shouldn't this happen for coaches too?

Regarding other companies, I'm not sure that you can purchase a Maunsell coach in olive from a current catalogue* (though there are lots of Bulleid livery choices).

For the GWR, both Hornby and Bachmann are offering Collett coaches with the shirtbutton, which is nice if you're modelling the late 1930s. Otherwise you're stuck.

Thankfully Bachmann has the LMS porthole stock coming because Hornby offers very little right now in the way of LMS coaches.

* Until a couple of years ago, this had been the case for a very long time.

Ozexpatriate:

The big period interest in British outline modelling these days is post war - 1945-1965 , and it's clear that prenationalisation is starting to take a back seat. Hence the Portholes - and Hornby's Hawkesworths - and hence the lack of Maunsells in Olive and GW coaches in liveries before the mid 30s. Hornby have the Staniers in their range , and I'd expect them to be rerun next year

A4s are a bit different from the coaching stock - remember that A4s carried blue up until the early 50s (ok including BR Blue...) : there were 34 A4s , but only one Silver Jubilee set...

Even before WW2 British prestige expresses were normally made up of general service vehicles. I only have a reference book for the LNER but it's clear that E Coast sets were'nt very different from other main line coaches - they simply got the latest coaches, first , and though occasional vehicles were specials /modified and often had better/special interior fittings, they wouldn't differ much/at all from the normal external outline, and duly got cascaded to less prestigeous duties as the next batch of new coaches appeared. Things like articulated restaurant triples have a pretty limited market - even kitbuilders rarely build them (Most of us don't aspire higher than a buffet car in terms of catering provision on our trains)

The US style complete special dedicated set of coaches for a train, of a type of stock unique to that service was not really found here. There was for example no "Cornish Riviera stock" - the GW made up the train with the latest general service stock , and the train length varied depending on the time of year - and was strengthened with extra vehicles in summer of the same oridinary ttypes. Slip portions were ordinary slip coaches. Etc

The big period interest in British outline modelling these days is post war - 1945-1965 , and it's clear that prenationalisation is starting to take a back seat.

Thanks Ravenser, I'm all too keenly aware of that. It's perfectly understandable.

I think we might be cross purposes here.

The thought I was trying to express, is that a significant number of locomotives are sold with nothing relevant to pull from any manufacturer in a period of let's arbitrarily say ± 3 catalogue years or more. (Though as you pointed out this is much less the case for the nationalized railway.) US manufacturers have been successful offering complete and accurate consists. Frankly I'd be satisfied with the old school couplet of a brake 3rd and composite coach accurate to liveries I prefer (and for which locomotives are made).

Of course there are examples of sets representing British named trains. Hornby offered a couple of versions of the Devon Belle sometime back that were an approximation of the working formation. There are of course others.

• RMweb Premium

Can I throw in the 6 car Bulleid Bournemouth sets? These were different from the standard coaches with their side sheeting extended over the solebars, chrome fittings and IIRC green ends. Now they would look stunning.

Also didn't the LMS have specially painted sets for their streamlined coronations? Blue & silver or crimson & gold to match the locos. I think that they were half heartedly done by Hornby using their old trainset Stanier coaches but they again fit with the special consist idea...

The fact is that the Elizabethan (for example) in the 50s was made up of the same general service Mk1s that BR was using on everything else .

I appreciate the sentiment but not true, the Elizabethan at the start of the 50's consisted of thompson pressurised Thompson stock, and even by 1960 only the Aberdeen portion two coaches of what was then a ten coach train were Mk1's.

The non-pressurised and pressurised Thompson's do though look very similar other that slightly different roof details. I would hope that very soon Hornby or Bachmann would do decent gangwayed Thompson's. Many including catering vehicles lasted well into the 1970's.

I'm surprised by Hornby's choice of Thompson suburban stock in preference to gangwayed stock.

Guest Max Stafford

Not so much surprised at the introduction of the Thompson subs per se; more that they came out hot on the heels of the Gresleys, although I can also see their logic since the largest difference is likely to be the sides themselves.

I'm definitely in favour of Bachmann re-visiting the gangwayed Thompson stock. I remember them planning to do this ten years ago, so I wonder what changed their minds then?

Dave.

The logic behind all this baffles me. If you are wanting manufacturers to produce wagons without numbers, this means you are prepared to put numbers on them. So why aren't you renumbering all your wagons anyway?

Well, I do renumber my wagons.... But not everyone has the experience or expertise to easily renumber wagons and coaches

Usually,, short of completely renumbering the vehicle, I have to try and match colour, type of font and size of number to the original, and it's not always possible to get an exact match. Furthermore there is also a time component: a] remove digit or digits of running number (not always easy) or paint over (assuming a reasonable colour match can be made), b] make good surface/touch up paintwork if needed, c] let dry, d] apply new number, e] seal, blend in and let dry. If a manufacturer would provide me the option to even halve this process by providing an easy to renumber wagon/carriage, then I can spend time building those items I know manufacturers won't likely be making as RTR.

Whilst it was easy to add BR Mk.I coaches to LNER trains because of the same gangway connector and buckeye coupler, the Eastern Region must have been aware that its Gresley and Thompson coaches gave a far superior ride for so many of these older coaches to remain on front line trains.

The London Midland with its standard 'LNWR' gangways was able to avoid Mk.I infiltration, which is why many LMR trains were still made up of late LMS and 'Porthole' stock up into the 1960s. What one would find is Mk.I's grouped together at the back or front of trains so necessitating only one gangway adaptor.

Only a limited program can be announced each year and I am sure we will see Thompson corridor coaches in due course. Etched brass kits continue to be available of course.

• RMweb Gold

The other US trend I see is for manufacturers to announce a model and offer it in multiple running numbers. (Which reminds me that I have a set of SP/UP PFE reefers that I need to pick up.)

Hornby did do something similar to this with the SR coaches in Maunsell olive. But they made so many and they came and went in such a flash. On a couple of items they got up to RxxxxxG in the space of I think two years. That's unusual for Hornby and I have the impression that they sold extremely well.

This year Hornby is offering one of the old GWR Suburban B set. With the 61xx back in rotation, why not offer both?? I don't get it. (But I'm now way off topic for the Bachmann releases - my apologies.)

I can't understand the logic of offering 'B Set' coaches singly - but that's another manufacturer as you said.

Anyway back to Bachmann and don't overlook the wagon triple packs which are coming over the horizon/on the shelves now (in some cases) and retail at much 'firmer' price levels as I suggested in my previous post (basically the prices are direct multiples of a single wagon but it's one package and it's a single sale at £30-40). I suspect that if Bachmann find this a successful idea we will see more of it before the year is out even if it isn't in the new catalogue and even if it is only B, C etc suffix - they can do that with Mins and dirty PO wagons until the cows come home and no doubt a multiplicity of different running numbered Vanfits will appeal to many.

...The Brighton Belle and the Blue Pullman are almost the only other cases where you have special stock for a special service ...

Well.. look at the other end of the passenger transport spectrum. The KX inner suburban operation was operated almost exclusively for thirty some years with very special stock to provide a very special service - those were the quad art sets for which the normal traction (N2) has an adequate model; and then there were the quint arts which took an N7 for Liverpool Street services. If multiple units sell...

I imagine that the LNER fans still want teak articulated sets.

The Brighton Belle and the Blue Pullman are almost the only other cases where you have special stock for a special service.

Well.. look at the other end of the passenger transport spectrum. The KX inner suburban operation was operated almost exclusively for thirty some years with very special stock to provide a very special service - those were the quad art sets for which the normal traction (N2) has an adequate model; and then there were the quint arts which took an N7 for Liverpool Street services. If multiple units sell...

I was particularly thinking about the quad-art sets. Not personally my cup of tea, but it is the kind of thing I was thinking about.

The polls are open.

• RMweb Premium

Anyway back to Bachmann and don't overlook the wagon triple packs which are coming over the horizon/on the shelves now (in some cases) and retail at much 'firmer' price levels as I suggested in my previous post (basically the prices are direct multiples of a single wagon but it's one package and it's a single sale at £30-40). I suspect that if Bachmann find this a successful idea we will see more of it before the year is out even if it isn't in the new catalogue and even if it is only B, C etc suffix - they can do that with Mins and dirty PO wagons until the cows come home and no doubt a multiplicity of different running numbered Vanfits will appeal to many.

I too hope these triple packs will be successful. If so, perhaps we'll also see some SR coach packs as well, similar to the Bulleid 3-set done as a L/E for ModelZone with set numbers and matching coaches.

• RMweb Premium

I may have missed it in the preceding 18 pages, but - to judge from the pic on their website - Bachmann seem not to have noticed that 41291 was one of the few members of the class to sport a tall chimney.

Guest Max Stafford

Probably worth making them aware in case it's a genuine oversight.

Failing that, Comet are your friends!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Probably worth making them aware in case it's a genuine oversight.

Failing that, Comet are your friends!

Dave.

Have contacted Bachmann, and received a reply from Dennis Lovett saying that he's passed the info on.

Just discovered these on a Hattons web-site - made me splutter my coffee !!

When did these put in an appearance ??

http://www.ehattons....l.aspx?SID=8821

http://www.ehattons....l.aspx?SID=8822

ISTR that they were announced some years back but never made it into production for some reason, probably when they realised that they didn't have the standard 10ft wheelbase chassis.

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know the destinations on the 2012 editions of the Derby Lightweights.

Fingers crossed for an East Anglian set with speed whiskers.

For East Anglia, we need the other window arrangement (the one that featured yellow panels in the first releases), and I was hoping that they'd swap them round for the second releases. But judging by the model numbers it doesn't look like they have.

Guest Belgian

Not any more Mike - the Conflat with AF container (single pack 37-978) is £11-55 RRP but the triple pack (37-981) is £39-35, which, although I was a lousy Accountant, I still make a bit more - £4-70, or worse than 13½% higher than a simple tripling of the singleton price! Those must be extremely expensive long boxes!

All the triple packs are more than the sum of three singletons, the least OTT being the Cement wagons, the triple pack being just 5p more than the sum of three.

JE

Archived