New announcements from Bachmann

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Bachman. A very good set of stuff for many folk and enough to get me searching down the sofa for coins and maybe a note or two (more likely to be a few old peanuts and the TV Controller).

Some nice wagon variations in there; just what I need (honestly SWMABO).

Be grateful you lot, just remember what it was like just ten years ago!

P @ 36E

• RMweb Gold

No, the point is if they cant deliver their 2011/12 promises until q2 or later of 2012/13 when do you actually think some of these announcements will actually be in the shops?

Don't hold your breath

And does it really matter?

I think not.

I think most of us are well aware that some newly-announced models may even take longer than the 18 months to hit the shops - there could be all kinds of production delays or other issues to delay them, so I shall certainly take many long, deep breaths between now and then.

But, for some of us (?many/most of us? ;) ) this is not a big deal. Surely we all have plenty of other modelling to get on with in the meantime?

I still haven't been able to afford some of the releases from previous years that I would like to own, let alone 2011!

I've got some items bought many years ago that I still haven't weathered and made ready for layout/exhibition use, so worrying whether a 2012 release is going to be available by Christmas 2013 or Easter 2014 really isn't a big issue....

The Director announcement means that those - myself included - who have long bemoaned the absence of Scottish outline rtr locos will have a splendid opportunity to demonstrate that their wishes do actually extend to the opening of wallets. Presumably,Bachmann will have recognised that the prototypes' restricted sphere of operation will limit sales potential somewhat. But if sales don't match whatever assumptions they have made that,the prospects for further north of the border stuff will receive a distinct set-back. There's certainly a place for one on my layout. It'll look spot on with those lovely Hornby Gresley non-corrs.

DR

Well said - I seem to recall Bachmann said "buy it or we won't make any more types" about the Southern EMU, so chances are the 85 electric is taking the same approach and possibly the Scottish loco's will be under the same remit. I will certainly help all Scots out by buying one of these.

One or two people have commented on the lack of Southern-orientated models in the Bachmann line-up this year.

This is no surprise:Bachmann have consistently ignored the Southern, leaving it almost entirely to Hornby. During its existence as Bachmann it has only produced 2 Southern locomotives (the 'Lord Nelson' and N class mogul), and has one more (the C class) about to go into production. It has, very recently, produced two EMUs and has produced one (very obsolete now) series of carriages (the Bulleids) and just two wagon types (the Queen Mary brake vans and the general SR vans) with one more to come in the form of the 'Pillbox' brake van. That's the total of Bachmann Southern model types.

It's something that's puzzled me for a while- although I'm not a Southern modeller myself, I'm currently based in a part of the world where I know plenty of them, so fairly aware of the sales potential in my neck of the woods at least.

Does SR stock sit unwanted and unbought on modelshop shelves outside the SE of England, or do Bachmann simply see 'The Southern' as a market that Hornby have effectively cornered for themselves, and not worth trying to break into on any meaningful scale...? After the announcement of the C last year, I'd have almost put money on them doing one of the longer-lived SECR/Southern 4-4-0s this year...

The fact that the LYR 2-4-2T came as a complete suprise clearly shows Bachmann has a business nose for what will sell.

Larry,

they are just picking off the kit manufacturers best selling models, no real surprise in that. :O

Jol

...Be grateful you lot, just remember what it was like just ten years ago ...

Indeed. Back then you would have been accused of the intake of something illegal to believe in the possibility of two RTR LNER group goods types being announced in the same year.

The only slightly frustrating aspect in the information so far is the 'LNER 10T fish van'. Is this the earlier 10' wb type, using common chassis components from their earlier group of LNER vans, or the rather sexier 12' wb van, from which were developed the fondly remembered 'Blue Spots'?

In line with recent practice, I'll be harvesting a couple of D11s. They're firmly outwith my comfort zone, but what chance a Highland Baby Sulzer for my chosen (narrow) period if I can't help out the much larger ScR contingent by voting with my wallet for a type which is synonymous with the area I model if not era.

As I said earlier, this is the first model whose press blurb explicitly mentions the Waverley Route, even Heljan didn't do that with the Claytons, so Barwell's guaranteed my patronage. One never knows, should time and space permit, I may eventually get round to a layout actually set in '61, rather than just running timewarp one-offs occasionally!

• RMweb Premium

So now my list for the next 12 months or so is.

Heljan- Bayer Garratt

Dapol- Western&Original Warship.

Hornby- One each of the three 2-8-0/2 tanks

Bachmann- C class, 4F, Earl.

Thats 9 locos to date, I started with only the Beyer Garratt planned for this year.

With Dapol yet to announce its programme my wallet is creaking already.

• RMweb Premium

Probably on a par with producing a Rhymney Railway Class R and Taff Vale A in final condition? The simple fact is that they can't make everything we might like (let alone what we think we 'need') just like that. They have announced an extensive programme in two scales with a wide range of coverage in both scales and we should perhaps thank them for still being in business and able to do that rather than muttering about their 'failure' to make exactly what we want carrying the number we want on the livery we want for the precise period we are modelling. Perhaps they have a better idea than we do of what will keep them trading profitably?

And no, they haven't announced much of interest to me - but they are making some other folk very happy indeed, c'est la vie.

Sorry, Mike, it did come across as a bit of a whinge didn't it? However, I don't think that I'm alone in being a little disappointed after the excellent Class 24 that was released and thinking that the companion 25 may not be far behind. I've no doubt though that your comment concerning profitable trading is probably true although a decent Class 25 may generate one or two more sales than either a RR Class R or TVR Class A. The 4mm versions of the 25s have been in almost constant production since being introduced and have even been favoured with DCC sound so they must have some decent sales potential in the larger scale. This, of course, may not be true in N.

David

Just when you thought you had a little bit of 'spare cash'........................ :)

I still have - nowt in this for me, but they have rolled out some very nice stuff, so I am very pleased for the other 99.999% of modellers on RMweb :)

A positive announcement from Bachmann and good for many of us modellers.

But I am amused by some of the tones on this thread and a, to my eye, biased view to Bachmann over Hornby (Im talking OO from now on)

Many say a 'balanced range' of new prodct, how can it be a balcnced range when there is no new tool Diesel or Electric loco, or no new tool coaching stock.

Others have reacted more favourably to the Bachmann announcement to that of Hornby, I think that overall their programmes are roughly on a par (and bear in mind that Bachmanns announcement covers an 18 month timeframe, Hornbys just 12, and with a promise to have all product available by the end of this year).

Hornby announced 4 new locos, Bachmann 5 (or 7 if you count the not unexpected City & Compound), additionally the big GW tanks featured heavily on wishlists (as did a LNER 0-6-0 of whatever variety). Hornby introduced new coaching stock, the push-pulls again being wishlisted, as were non-corridors (although perhaps not many saw another range of ER non corridors coming), nothing from Bachmann. Reliveries as expected from both are a plenty and I would say are comparable, Hornby also introduced a double tender A4 which has not been seen before. Wagons, again, a similar range announced.

Therefore, with a bit of give and take in numbers, reliveries, timeframes etc I view that both these companies have given us decent new ranges, some may not fit your modelling interests but that was always going to be the case, some may be right up your street and if so you will chuffed.

But what I cannot see is why Bachmann is being almost universally praised and Hornby widely criticised over thier announcements. Puzzling, it is.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, Mike, it did come across as a bit of a whinge didn't it? However, I don't think that I'm alone in being a little disappointed after the excellent Class 24 that was released and thinking that the companion 25 may not be far behind. I've no doubt though that your comment concerning profitable trading is probably true although a decent Class 25 may generate one or two more sales than either a RR Class R or TVR Class A. The 4mm versions of the 25s have been in almost constant production since being introduced and have even been favoured with DCC sound so they must have some decent sales potential in the larger scale. This, of course, may not be true in N.

David

I suspect we think in a rather different way from the manufacturers in that they might take the view 'we've given them a Class XC so why would they want a Class xD' whereas we might take the attitude of wanting the xD to go alongside the XC. What we don't know with any sort of accuracy is what sells and what doesn't, or rather what flies off the shelves and what doesn't. I get the feeling that, certainly as far as first batch is concerned, they have found that some relatively oddball steam outline locos have shot off the shelves at a very satisfactory rate and they're continuing to mine that particular vein - hence what they've announced this time round.

Couple this with Hornby's approach for this year and the implication is that the manufacturers have the impression that they can shift steam locos, especially if they pick 'the right ones' (that's the difficult bit I think). And it seems they do look at polling data as well as consulting other sources and that must all amount to feedback which influences their product development plans - and results in what appears to us as sometime unbalanced choices. I suppose the simple answer is to 'encourage' them when they make something that gets close to our ideal 'wants' - if they do. Perhaps you should go in for diesel-hydraulics ;) :D

So I get back in from work so see all the fun has been and gone, but its good to see Coachman in a very ebuliant mood and why not? I think its a really good selection of stuff. Not over surprised about the 2-4-2 as a little bird in the know at the NRM told me it had received attention from a model manufacturer, thought it would be just a matter of time and realistically a 2013 announcement but there you go. Kerching, sold, along with a 4F (get that chassis sorted for them Mr Franks!). Aspinall A class next please.

As for the nay sayers get, a life please, its rather a wide selection of things covering a whole lot of bases - just because its not full of your particular pecadillo doesnt mean the announcment is rubbish - theres a lot in there that doesn't float my boat but I can appreciate a good and well thought out decision - the director for example and the pom pom (might be tempted there). Well done Bachmann

Many say a 'balanced range' of new prodct, how can it be a balcnced range when there is no new tool Diesel or Electric loco, or no new tool coaching stock.

Wagons, again, a similar range announced.

But what I cannot see is why Bachmann is being almost universally praised and Hornby widely criticised over thier announcements. Puzzling, it is.

When there's no new diesel to be done, the new tool Class 40 isn't expected until next winter, and the 85 is widely known to be a barometer release, your first assertion is hardly accurate. MkI Sleepers are also not expected until after Warley '12, likewise Portholes. SR CCT/ PMV are technically coaching stock, albeit NPCCS, so those are new tooling, and fill a pretty substantial gap.

Wagons - similar in scope to Hornby - really? Not done the maths, but that doesn't feel instinctively true.

Bachmann praised - possibly. When Hornby announce howlers in the RR range (early Warship, ID crisis 31, strange N2 Olympic combo in collector's edition box, to name 3), price the missed opportunity Golden Pup Blue/Grey Gresley buffet at fifty notes, all on the back of some very strange PR antics surrounding their core markets, and in fairness play to a different part of the train market (Olympic Javelin set anyone), it's pretty clear that the average RMweb contributor is likely (I'll put it no stronger) to be more closely aligned to Barwell's product offer and overall philosophy.

Rumours abound, as they do, one I heard , about 6 months ago, was that Bachmann were going to make an early version (Midland) of the 7F, I'm disappointed it's proved unfounded - that's why I didn't say anything on this forum. But all credit to them with these announcements.

coachmann said :

The fact that the LYR 2-4-2T came as a complete suprise clearly shows Bachmann has a business nose for what will sell.

LNWRmodeller responded :

they are just picking off the kit manufacturers best selling models, no real surprise in that. :O

I'll bet you were just as suprised as anyone and so sarcasm or sour grapes doesn't become you. :nono:

A company you have some connection with produces the LYR 2-4-2T kit doesn't it? Assuming Bachmann is producing the 2P version as preserved, just think of all the 3P Belpiare version bodyline kits you can sell to go on Bachmann chassis... Why, I'll buy one too....

coachmann said :

Assuming Bachmann is producing the 2P version as preserved, just think of all the 3P Belpiare version bodyline kits you can sell to go on Bachmann chassis... Why, I'll buy one too....

After the wrestling match I had with mine, I think not! Chassis is good though.

im very happy,

Ive been humming and harring for a while now on to go for the London road models kit of the l&y 2-4-2t, I was seriously considering one at York but thats done the deal for me,

however I do prefer the longer bunker and belpair boiler version so will see what happens.

all fit in to my Liverpool modelling....

Pom poms, Walton on the hill shed.

4f's same.

2-4-2 Aintree shed.

compound, Bank hall shed :)

directors' Brunswick shed.

Well ... a fascinating selection of steam locomotive subjects, no doubt about it. Clearly it doesn't please everybody, but how could any release and why should it? And clearly there's a lot of people looking forward to product releases they weren't expecting. Nice job Bachmann.

I'm glad I fired up the wifi on a bumpy flight to check.

And now we know why there was a Merchant Navy article in the most recent Bachmann Collectors' Club magazine.

There's a lot of interesting Scenecraft items in this announcement - I might be very tempted once I can see the pictures in the catalogue, and yes, I might just get a stablemate for City of Truro.

• RMweb Gold

Let's spare a thought for those kit manufacturers who've just seen one or more of their products take a nosedive in 2012 et seq sales. These are the people - the smaller suppliers - who we all laud, but they must suffer on such a day. I'm not clever enough to know all the firms involved today, but probably Parkside Dundas can now expect their range of Southern passenger vans to be gathering dust.

Let's spare a thought for those kit manufacturers who've just seen one or more of their products take a nosedive in 2012

Although I don't say this lightly, manufacturers must surely expect this after all these years. A colleague of mine has had a double wammy recently but it only serves to make him more philosophical in the face of difficulties and dissapointments and diversify into areas where Hornby & Bachmann will not tread.

Archived