Bachmann announce Fowler 4F

Andy Y

Branchline 4F Class just the ticket

LMS 4F (4) (3).jpg

Bachmann Branchline has today announced plans to introduce a OO scale Fowler 4F Class 0-6-0 locomotive.

A total of 772 locomotives of the Class were built, the Midland Railway building 192 of them between 1911 and 1922. The Branchline model depicts the right hand drive Midland Railway version.

Three versions are due to be released including No. 3851 in LMS black livery with Johnson/Deeley tender (31-880), BR No. 43875 with early emblem and Johnson/Deeley tender (31-881) and BR No. 43924 with late crest and Fowler tender as preserved (31-882).

Feature of the model include;

• Johnson/Deeley or Fowler tender versions

• Substantial heavy alloy running plate

• 21PIN DCC socket

Each model has a recommended retail price of £89.75 and will be introduced over the next 18 months.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Well, not having had enough cash to get the recently re-chassised Hornby one may have been a blessing in disguise. I note it's the Midland one, I think we're going to need an S&DJR area thread to cover which were suitable for the Somerset and Dorset :D

Well, not having had enough cash to get the recently re-chassised Hornby one may have been a blessing in disguise. I note it's the Midland one, I think we're going to need an S&DJR area thread to cover which were suitable for the Somerset and Dorset :D

Yes, I like the fact they've gone for the earlier RHD Midland version, and Johnson/Deeley tender- so apart from this being a modern 'state-of-the-art' model, rather than a warmed-over 70's relic, they're also offering something subtly different to the Hornby model.

• Like 3

I'm so glad I didn't fall to desp....temptation...and settle for the warmed over Horfix 4F. This ones more welcome than the 3F announcement for me, and a Midland machine too; it just gets better! :yahoo_mini:

• Like 1

I think we're going to need an S&DJR area thread to cover which were suitable for the Somerset and Dorset :D

Already been done - somewhere in the past. Yes it'll be good to have a proper 'Armstrong'.But beware, they all had Fowler tenders by the late '50's.

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I note it's the Midland one, I think we're going to need an S&DJR area thread to cover which were suitable for the Somerset and Dorset :D

No doubt we will, but given the fact that these seem to have been photographed more on the 'main line' of the S&D, I think that the information is all readily out there. For numbers, it's probably simply a matter of perusing enough Ivo Peters or Alan Hammond books. The S&D Armstrongs were distinctly different in terms of being right-hand drive machines, whereas the non-S&DJR ones were pretty much all left-hand drive locos, including that long-term stalwart 44422.

I heartily welcome this latest Bachmann announcement - who wouldn't?

• Like 1

I searched RMWEB for 4F and quickly found Buffalo had posted this :

Posted 01 September 2011 - 20:33

I've now been through all of my S&D books -- not a complete collection -- and have managed to come up with the following list of dates for the different tenders. The first date is the latest with a Johnson tender, the second is the earliest with a Fowler tender. In a couple of cases, it appears that there were some Fowler tenders without coal rails, though this may just be poor photos. In three cases, dates supplied above by Duncan (Blandford 1969) narrow the gap further, and these are shown in brackets.

44557 03/09/1955 22/07/1958 (1956 J, 1957 F)

44558 09/09/1954 29/07/1956

44559 20/08/1955 03/05/1959 (1957 F)

44560 21/08/1954 03/05/1958 (1955 F)

44561 03/09/1955 03/05/1959

• Like 1

I really hope they spend the extra few $ and fit tender pickups, please?????. The 3F really does need these, the Compound is superb, and shows why. Sorry, I model with Ark-era dead frogs!

Cheers, Peter C.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Then I'll need Fowler tender versions (as I work on a theme around 1961, + 2 years either side, so only one of the projected models suits (the preserved one).

Very pleased to hear that someone is to make a proper 'Midland' 4F at last. From the running numbers given above, I am assuming that the model will have beaded splashers. The last batch(es) of Midland builds and all the LMS builds had plain splashers (with LH drive from 4207 of course - except for a batch of ten around 4300 and the SDJR ones).

Messrs Bachmann, with these Fowlers, you're really spoiling us...

My poor old Airfix 4F, bought after a short honeymoon, the days of which were spent on the KWVR, can look forward to retirement on the shelf! It will be replaced by an authentic model of No. 43924, the engine which hauled the train during those happy days. If I get on with the wiring now, maybe "Burngreave" will be ready in time...

This will teach teach 'opposition' to overprice the old Airfix version. That was good in its day and I have a couple of them which do stirling service, but I am sure the Bachmann one will be better.

Well done Bachmann - that is my 2013 Christmas present sorted!!

Playing devil's advocate here but interesting there's not been any complaints of duplication here. That said, the Bachmann one will almost certainly whup the Hornby one roundly.

With the greatest respect, there are several differencs between the Midland locos and the LMS ones so it's not really duplication in the same way as the A1, the B1 or the 75xxx Standard 4. The two makes of model should compliment each other with most layouts having space for both.

• RMweb Premium

You're not wrong, Stewart - for example, a picture in 'Aspects of East Anglian Steam, volume Two' shows 44423, 43937 and 44412 lined up on a siding awaiting their next workings at South Lynn on 1st August 1953. The middle one being RH drive, the other two LH.

If you're interested, the same book has a picture of J11 64420 passing South Lynn on a goods on the same date!

• Like 2

You're not wrong, Stewart - for example, a picture in 'Aspects of East Anglian Steam, volume Two' shows 44423, 43937 and 44412 lined up on a siding awaiting their next workings at South Lynn on 1st August 1953. The middle one being RH drive, the other two LH.

If you're interested, the same book has a picture of J11 64420 passing South Lynn on a goods on the same date!

I was hoping you wouldn't mention a J11.....more expense!

Stewart