Bachmann announce Fowler 4F

Andy Y

I think it is the type with the elongated narrow base that was fitted to 3F's in MR days ie the LRM casting.

Tony

I think you are probably right Tony. If the LRM casting is like the AGW one, they seem to be designed to fit an 'H' boiler with a round-topped firebox.

• 8 months later...

I think it means "sold out". It's sold out at Bachmann. Hereford Model Centre has five in stock.

Thanks, I thought it was strange that it was available to pre-order when it had already been out for a while.  Must have been a mistake on the website.

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I attempted to obtain some info by posting in the Questions and Help forum but so far have had quite a number of views but no replies, so thought perhaps by posting a link here...

...I might have more luck! ;)

Edited by Nickey Line
Issue resolved.

• 1 month later...

There were 197 right-hand drive Midland 4Fs, but 575 LMS left-hand drive 4Fs.  That should mean that for a "typical" layout, there should be approx 3 LMS 4Fs for every Midland 4F.  Additionally, I suspect that the ex-Midland 4Fs tended to stay in the Midland Division  whereas the LMS 4Fs were distributed throughout the LMS system.  So, will Bachmann produce an LMS 4F?  How easy would the Midland 4Fs be to convert?  Has anyone made a conversion kit?

Edited by TonyMay

5 hours ago, TonyMay said:

There were 197 right-hand drive Midland 4Fs, but 575 LMS left-hand drive 4Fs.  That should mean that for a "typical" layout, there should be approx 3 LMS 4Fs for every Midland 4F.  Additionally, I suspect that the ex-Midland 4Fs tended to stay in the Midland Division  whereas the LMS 4Fs were distributed throughout the LMS system.  So, will Bachmann produce an LMS 4F?  How easy would the Midland 4Fs be to convert?  Has anyone made a conversion kit?

You never know what Bachmann might do but I suspect that a Midland 4F was produced to be different from the Hornby “Railroad” ex-Airfix model. Hornby’s 4F might not be up to modern “full fat” standard but I doubt that Bachmann would attempt to produce a better one, especially in the face of Hornby’s recent habit of jumping to produce a model to beat the opposition.

• Like 1

The alterations are minimal to the locomotive. Reach rod and superheater gubbins switch sides plus removing the splasher beading. After that it's a tender swap. 

The change to right hand drive came a little time after LMS production started, so a simple tender swap would do for some examples. 

Alan 

Edited by Buhar
Accuracy
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Buhar said:

The alterations are minimal to the locomotive. Reach rod and superheater gubbins switch sides plus removing the splasher beading. After that it's a tender swap. 

The removal of the beading and change to right hand drive came a little time after LMS production started, so a simple tender swap would do for some examples. 

Alan 

Bachmann produced right-hand drive 4Fs with both Deeley and Fowler tenders.  It may well be a dumb question, but does the Fowler tender version also need a tender swap?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Downer said:

Bachmann produced right-hand drive 4Fs with both Deeley and Fowler tenders.  It may well be a dumb question, but does the Fowler tender version also need a tender swap?

No dumb questions on 4F variations, the only dumb approach is to think they were standard. :wink_mini: The answer to your question is broadly, no, but if you want to get deep into 4F lore on the issues of tender beading and changes to the Fowler tenders, chimney and dome shapes, exhaust pipes, driver's side, piston tail rods and whether the firemen took sugar in their tea you could do worse than have a skim of this:-

http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/Downloads/4F Prototype Information.pdf

Alan 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

There are lots of small detail differences with the 4Fs, so it depends upon how fussy you want to be, and whether you want a left or right hand drive version.  The current Hornby model (left hand drive) is much improved over its Airfix origins with its loco drive mechanism and much better finish, apart from that the other improvements are some wire grab rails replacing plastic moulded on ones.  There have been lots of moans about the splashers that are too large, but this is to provide clearance for the wheel flanges and they are too large on the Bachmann version as well for the same reason.  As with lots of locos, if you want a specific one and are prepared to renumber it yourself you really need a picture to show its condition at approx. the time of your modelling period.

There are a few hand/grab rails missing from the Hornby model that are very easy to add, and also the lamp irons.

If you'r modelling the late 50s/60s period most locos had Fowler tenders by then, but both the Hornby and Bachmann models have the large COAL DOOR tender front (this is not necessarily wrong) whereas virtually every picture I've ever found (where you can see into the cab area) shows a tender with the COAL HOLE front (this is extremely frustrating for a Somerset & Dorset modeller ).  However, Brassmasters have made a coal hole tender front etch that can be used to produce the correct tender if you need it.  This can also be used on Bachmann's 7F (2 out of the 4 models have the wrong tender front). and Hornby's 2P (but check the pictures)  

As far as I've found, no one produces a RTR Fowler tender with the coal hole front. 

Edited by Combe Martin
  • Like 1

On 07/07/2020 at 13:33, Buhar said:

The alterations are minimal to the locomotive. Reach rod and superheater gubbins switch sides plus removing the splasher beading.

Plus the ejector. They will do a LH one for the Compound, but from memory those are subtly different to the 4F. Otherwise they have done right hand drive ones (4F,3F,1F,1P), or later/different styles. Unless the Crab suits? I don't think it does but not in a position to check just now.

• Like 1