Bachmann announce Fowler 4F

Andy Y

The change from beaded splashers to plain seems to have taken place part way through the last Midland batch. The first batch(es) of LMS build were given second hand Johnson tenders from withdrawn Spinners etc. I think many of those Johnson tenders were replaced with Fowler tenders when the 'Austin 7' 0-8-0s were withdrawn in the 1950s but you would need dated photographs for individual locos.

Lots of 4Fs had their Johnson/Deely tenders replaced with Fowler tenders.  On the S&D in particular the 'Armstrongs' received ones with coal hole fronts rather than coal door fronts, which means Bachmann's 4F can't be renumbered accurately as an Armstrong.

• RMweb Gold

Rob,

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. If you ever find out when the Deeley tender versions last ran, please let me know. I have the Bachmann 43875 which I understand lasted until 1958, but I wonder if there were lots of tender swaps as more locos were withdrawn - my guess is that the Deeley tenders disappeared fairly rapidly.

43875 certainly ran, as modelled by Bachmann, on the S&DJR until the early fifties.

Here's my take on it. Photo has appeared on another thread.

Rob

post-14122-0-68032000-1425896919_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-14298700-1425896938_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Rob,

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. If you ever find out when the Deeley tender versions last ran, please let me know. I have the Bachmann 43875 which I understand lasted until 1958, but I wonder if there were lots of tender swaps as more locos were withdrawn - my guess is that the Deeley tenders disappeared fairly rapidly.

A quick flip through 'The Somerset & Dorset in the Fifties, Vol.2' (Ivo Peters, OPC) revealed rather fewer pictures of 4Fs than I was expecting.

However, two example of locos still with Deeley tenders were, 44559 (September 1955) and 44557 (August 1956).

The latter loco is depicted with a Fowler tender (March 1960) in the next volume of the series.

John

A quick flip through 'The Somerset & Dorset in the Fifties, Vol.2' (Ivo Peters, OPC) revealed rather fewer pictures of 4Fs than I was expecting...

We discussed 4F tenders on the S&DJR a few years ago, here's one topic. Using eleven different sources of photos, my broad conclusion was that most LMS engines had Fowler tenders at or soon after nationalisation, though the Armstrongs received them by 1958/9. 44558 had one by 1956. It's difficult to be more precise as there were surprisingly few photos of Armstrongs between 1955-8.

Nick

. If you ever find out when the Deeley tender versions last ran, please let me know. I have the Bachmann 43875 which I understand lasted until 1958, but I wonder if there were lots of tender swaps as more locos were withdrawn - my guess is that the Deeley tenders disappeared fairly rapidly.

Hi, Colin,

I've not found anything definitive yet, but was pointed to a web site www.Rail-online.co.uk which has some useful images, most of them are dated so give an idea of when these tenders were in use. If you don't already know this site ,I think it's well worth a look, I spent about three hours yesterday browsing through it, (I only managed to drag myself away from it 'cos I was meeting some mates for a pint.)

Cheers

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Colin,

I've not found anything definitive yet, but was pointed to a web site www.Rail-online.co.uk which has some useful images, most of them are dated so give an idea of when these tenders were in use. If you don't already know this site ,I think it's well worth a look, I spent about three hours yesterday browsing through it, (I only managed to drag myself away from it 'cos I was meeting some mates for a pint.)

Cheers

Rob

After three hours, I think I'd need a pint!

I wasn't actually aware that 43875 ran on the S&D; armed with that knowledge, I think I shall just add a crew and some light weathering and invoke Rule 1. Thanks for all your help!

• RMweb Gold

No worries, Colin. 3875, as it was then, was running on the S&D in July 1946 as photographed by Norman Lockett ( The Somerset and Dorset Railway 1935-1966 ). Renumbered by August 1949 and withdrawn in 1956.

Rob

Edited by nhy581

43875 certainly ran, as modelled by Bachmann, on the S&DJR until the early fifties.

Here's my take on it. Photo has appeared on another thread.

Rob

Phhheewww! Glad to hear that! As that's why I got her  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Nice picture of 43875 being piloted by 44100 through Parkstone in August 1950 on a Bath to Bournemouth stopper in 'Life on the Bath to Bournemouth Line' by Colin Maggs.

Shown as still allocated to Bath in September 1950 not sure when it moved away.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

You'll have to pretend it was preserved !

Or I could just say that there had been an "emergency" tender swap with a 3F at Templecombe shed due to a leaking tank, broken spring etc....

• RMweb Gold

Why look for an excuse? Ultimately you have no need to explain to yourself why you are running a particular loco, coach or wagon.

Just do it. If it looks right to you then it is right. Life's too short.

Rob

Or I could just say that there had been an "emergency" tender swap with a 3F at Templecombe shed due to a leaking tank, broken spring etc....

Just for info, a mate of mine worked at Doncaster shed and later the works. He said it was a pig of a job to seperate a tender from the loco. Knocking out the pin in the coupling shaft was a really difficult task on most locos. Therefore to do two in order to swap tenders was almost unheard of. Even if there was a leak in the tank it was easier and quicker to weld on a patch!

Cheers Tony

• RMweb Gold

Yes, except that 43875 was withdrawn in 1956 and your modelling 1960-1962 !

Yes....and? If someone is happy to overlook that then crack on I say......

I completely ignore the coming of the Western Region to my slice of the S&D therefore no pesky panniers or collet goods. However I do have a Crab and Ivatt moguls, both of which were long gone from the mendips by 1960.......because I like them..

Come on, this hobby is fun and allows us to create a world long gone, in a way we see fit.

Rob

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I originally bought 43875 because it makes a change from my Fowler tender 4Fs, unfortunately I didn't think to check when it was withdrawn or when a tender swap might have occurred. I'm a modeller as opposed to a collector so more than happy to renumber (or just to ignore the withdrawal date if it suits me). After all, the wrong number is a pretty small anachronism and easily ignored - unless it's a real howler like the Bachmann Jubilee I once saw on sale at an exhibition at an inflated price ("professionally" weathered & detailed, allegedly) in late crest weathered mid-'60s "economy" unlined green and festooned with electrification flashes - the loco was Harrow victim "Windward Isles", scrapped in 1952/53!

It rather depends upon what your modelling period is ?. You could renumber it into a loco that was withdrawn later, but no S&D 4F appeared with this tender in the late 50s onwards, well not photographed, and I have studied loads, especially 4F ones looking at tenders attached to Armstrongs, and they didn't have this tender before the Fowler ones, theirs was much bigger.

• 1 month later...

Colin, on 07 Mar 2015 - 21:31, said:snapback.png

Just noticed that one of the 2015 releases is numbered 44044.

I always thought that the LMS 4Fs started at 44027 - does this mean the new model should have some significant detail differences?

The LMS 4Fs number sequence did begin at 4027, but the first few batches were right hand drive like their Midland built counterparts. According to Bob Essery in "Midland Record" #2 the left hand drive loco number sequence began at 4207, so I would guess there would not be too many differences. One difference was the lack of beading on the splashers of the LMS build.

Cheers

Rob

I'm awaiting this one with interest too - I'm not reading too much into the picture Bachmann have used still have splasher beading, but they have still called it a 'Midland' 4F in the description. I'm sure there won't be any real schoolboy errors though.

I currently have a Brassmasters kit lined up for 44055, but if they do 44044 correctly then I am not doubt going to take the easy way out and go down the Bachmann/Brassmasters easi-chas route.  It's a shame it is late crest and weathered (44055 didn't get a late crest til relatively late on, in my timeframe at least) but it will still be a much easier starting point if the base model is correct.

Colin, on 07 Mar 2015 - 21:31, said:snapback.png

I'm awaiting this one with interest too - I'm not reading too much into the picture Bachmann have used still have splasher beading, but they have still called it a 'Midland' 4F in the description. I'm sure there won't be any real schoolboy errors though.

I currently have a Brassmasters kit lined up for 44055, but if they do 44044 correctly then I am not doubt going to take the easy way out and go down the Bachmann/Brassmasters easi-chas route.  It's a shame it is late crest and weathered (44055 didn't get a late crest til relatively late on, in my timeframe at least) but it will still be a much easier starting point if the base model is correct.

The front and middle splashers are seperate plastic mouldings so it would be easy to do a different batch with these new splashers. However the rear splasher is moulded as part of the firebox side so this would mean re-tooling the complete plastic boiler/firebox. My bet is that they will not do it.

Tony

Edited by Rail-Online

More significant to me would be if Bachmann fitted the correct Ramsbottom safety valves to their planned offering in Midland livery. It's not easy to find replacement fittings with a round base, even from AGW.

How about London Road?  I can't see loco fittings as a section on the website, but the exhibition stand usually has such things so might be worth emailing them to ask?  Don't quote me on Ramsbottom safety valves themselves, as it isnt something I use - bit early for my period.

Thinking of which, I have an LRM 3F kit at home so will have a look what was supplied with that and let you know/PM you a photo if appropriate.

More significant to me would be if Bachmann fitted the correct Ramsbottom safety valves to their planned offering in Midland livery. It's not easy to find replacement fittings with a round base, even from AGW.

Hi Richard,

The LRM one, by the sound of it, is not what you want:

post-130-0-78908000-1431701174_thumb.jpg

However, the Brassmasters one supplied in their 4F kit looks to be the part:

post-130-0-03883600-1431701184.jpg

(For clarity, the lost wax casting is supplied with the London Road Models 3F kit, while the 2 white metal parts in the bag are part of the Brassmasters 4F casting set).

I hope/presume there is an etched tag somewhere for the top, alongside the 2 whitemetal castings.  Unfortunately, this being the case, I can't see Brassmasters selling them as a spare part as the castings will be ordered as a pack and the etch in the middle of a sheet (but it may be worth asking, it is possible they have one lying around from a test build - bar the below).

My Brassmasters kit (as I'm sure most are ;-)) is still complete in its box, and until I crack on with it myself I'd like to leave it that way for now...  & also the base is common to both types of safety valve, so even if someone else could give away the Ramsbottom bit they would have used the base with the Ross pop's.

Hopefully Bachmann will do it for you!

Hi Richard,

The LRM one, by the sound of it, is not what you want:

attachicon.gif20150515_153426(2).jpg

However, the Brassmasters one supplied in their 4F kit looks to be the part:

attachicon.gif20150515_153353(2).jpg

(For clarity, the lost wax casting is supplied with the London Road Models 3F kit, while the 2 white metal parts in the bag are part of the Brassmasters 4F casting set).

I hope/presume there is an etched tag somewhere for the top, alongside the 2 whitemetal castings.  Unfortunately, this being the case, I can't see Brassmasters selling them as a spare part as the castings will be ordered as a pack and the etch in the middle of a sheet (but it may be worth asking, it is possible they have one lying around from a test build - bar the below).

My Brassmasters kit (as I'm sure most are ;-)) is still complete in its box, and until I crack on with it myself I'd like to leave it that way for now...  & also the base is common to both types of safety valve, so even if someone else could give away the Ramsbottom bit they would have used the base with the Ross pop's.

Hopefully Bachmann will do it for you!

I think it is the type with the elongated narrow base that was fitted to 3F's in MR days ie the LRM casting.

Tony