Bachmann announce Midland Compound

Andy Y

Midland 4-4-0 released from Compound by Branchline

Midland Compound ST40907.jpg

Bachmann Branchline is releasing the Midland Compound in its final working condition. The locomotive was produced by Bachmann last year as an Exclusive Edition model for the National Railway Museum to represent the locomotive in its current preserved form, the locomotive being retrospectively altered to reflect its early operating life. This arrangement continues and the preserved version is available only from the National Railway Museum.

The new Bachmann Branchline model has involved new tooling to enable the locomotive to be reproduced in its in service condition.

The first five locomotives, to the design of S.W. Johnson, were built in 1902. Deeley, Johnson’s successor built a further 40 locomotives between 1905 and 1909 to his own design. This resulted in the original five locomotives being rebuilt to the same design, No. 1000 receiving attention in 1914. The Class saw service with the London, Midland & Scottish Railway from 1923 – 1948 who went on to build a further 195 examples to a slightly different design. No. 1000 was withdrawn from traffic in 1951 and set aside for preservation.

Three versions are due for release over the next 18 months including No. 1189 in LMS black livery (31-931), No. 40934 in BR lined black with early emblem (31-932DC) and No. 41157 in BR lined black with late crest (31-933) all with a Fowler tender type.

Each model has a recommended retail price of £132.80. The DCC ON BOARD version will have a recommended retail price of £150.30.

Midland Compound ST40931.jpg

Midland Compound ST41062.jpg

• Like 7

The loco numbers stated suggest that the models will be the 6'9" wheeled LH drive LMS version rather than the Midland 7'0" RH drive type.

I know LMS no. 1046 (RH drive) ran on the S&D in the 1940s but did any of the LMS LH drive versions venture down that line, especially after nationalisation?

Ian

Truly great news Andy. Anyone who had bought the NRM version will already know what a superb model this is. The modifications I did to mine to represent an LMS version as running in BR days was not something I would have carried out twice. Seing as the Midland Compound had dissapeared off BR metals by 1953 along with the Deeley Tender tanks, the Fowler Tender version is very good news.

As an aside, it also shows the minimalistically revamped Compound and 4F by Hornby for what they are. I have no truck with such shoddy when a company tries to take the model railway hobby backward,

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 6

Guest Tom F

I'm no expert on this matter...so forgive me now.

The model Bachmann are producing this time is the LMS version....opposed to the Midland compound. What are the visual differences?

I've now heard that the compounds appeared at York in the early 50s. I had noticed in the late 50's that Bank Hall's single Patriot 45517 was a regular on the Liverpool-York trains....so logic would dictate in 1950 this train was in the hands of a LMS compound.

Please feel free to correct me :)

Edited by Tom F

The model Bachmann are producing this time is the LMS version....opposed to the Midland compound. What are the visual differences?

Most obviously: dome, chimney, safety valves. LHD/RHD switch (edit - at some point within the LMS build), wheel and splasher diameter. Tender broadly speaking changes from Johnson to Fowler pattern (bit shorter, amongst other things).

Vast number of other detail variations within the class.

I'm about 75% of the way through a conversion of the NRM model which will satisfy my Compounder needs, but many of us expected this arrival so I'm not put out in the slightest.

Good to see more elegant 4-4-0s gracing the RtR shelves.

Edited by Jamie
  • Like 1

I'm no expert on this matter...so forgive me now.

I've now heard that the compounds appeared at York in the early 50s. I had noticed in the late 50's that Bank Hall's single Patriot 45517 was a regular on the Liverpool-York trains....so logic would dictate in 1950 this train was in the hands of a LMS compound.

Tom,

Think more of 45698 Mars or 45717 Dauntless on the morning (and the evening return) Liverpool (Exchange) - Newcastle (the one via the Calder Valley)

They were the regular performers before the Patriot - believe me they were that (boring) regular.

I think the Compounds came from the Sheffield (Midland) route.

Edited by DerekEm8

Except for driving wheels, the earliest LMS compounds were visualy like the Midland ones built 14 years before with tall domes, chimneys and Ramsbottom safety valves. The inside cylinder casting was different but this won't show on models. May I recommend to interested parties 'LMS Locomotive Profiles No. 13 The Standard Compounds' by Hunt, Jenninson & Essery (Wild Swann £25.95)

• Like 1

Guest Tom F

Thanks Derek

I had wondered about Sheffield Midland, I'll check my WTT. What shed served Sheffield Midland?

Tom

Edit 19B millhouses :)

Edited by Tom F

Ah yes, 41157! Specially titivated at Derby for Railway Roundabout, and then spent a couple of weeks in the West Midlands on "normal" service trains so PBW could film it for the show. Can't remember the year, 1959? but it is on the R/R videos and presumably dvds. I believe it did couple of turns on the Evesham line through Studley and Alvechurch.

O dear, this is all getting rather costly!!!!

Cheers, Peter C.

Except for driving wheels, the earliest LMS compounds were visualy like the Midland ones built 14 years before with tall domes, chimneys and Ramsbottom safety valves. The inside cylinder casting was different but this won't show on models. May I recommend to interested parties 'LMS Locomotive Profiles No. 13 The Standard Compounds' by Hunt, Jenninson & Essery (Wild Swann £25.95)

Larry,

Are you going to do the 'Andy Capp' one ?

Now that would be a painting challenge. :senile: :nono:

• Like 3

i dont think compound's worked as far as York from Liverpool around this period, my old mate who was a driver at Bank hall liked the compounds, he had a favourite one in particular which ive forgotten,

I remember him saying they where more used on slower stopping trains such as this one at Town Green between Liverpool and Preston

6323045269_07462b054f_b.jpg

Town Green by Kerry Parker (KP), on Flickr

Edited by michael delamar
  • Like 3

Are you going to do the 'Andy Capp' one ?

No, it's too modern for my layout. ^_^

But I saw the real engine on Newton Heath shed when commuting to Manchester one morning and it ruffled a few feathers in our non-corridor compartment! The British may not all be railway enthusiasts but they know when something isn't "British"...old boy.

To me the Compound is the most exciting passenger loco ever designed even though the politics in me says they should never have been adopted as a front line express loco as late as 1925. They were too small by that date (the LNER, SR and GWR were using large 4-6-0s or Pacifics) and so their use on stopping services negated the economics of compounding because of the use of live steam into the outside cylinders just to get moving.

If I could just comment on the shots of the prototype posted by Andy without sounding like a rabbid pedantic, several detail differences are displayed even on just three pictures. 40903 has received extended front main frames whereas 40931 was built new with them. The latter engine was one of the last built and has snaphead rivet construction on the splashers and cab sidesheets (the very final batch also had Stanier pattern bevel rim wheels and built up balnce weights). Both have fluted coupling rods but 903 has blanking plates on the firebox shoulders where washout doors had been on previous boilers. 41062 is one of the early RH drive LMS examples that has acquired plain coupling rods and a short slot Deeley chassis with a Fowler Standard tank (noticeably shorter at the rear than the chassis). It also carries the BR lining style that followed the tender top. It also exibits a feature not often modelled, a repainted smokebox door. This was common practice and could be done on shed by anyone handy with a brush! All carry 'Stanier' chimneys.

Pedant mode off...

Edited by coachmann

Most obviously: dome, chimney, safety valves. LHD/RHD switch (edit - at some point within the LMS build), wheel and splasher diameter. Tender broadly speaking changes from Johnson to Fowler pattern (bit shorter, amongst other things).

According to David Jenkinson, the splashers were the same size.

Oh, and the MR tenders were by Deeley BTW, not Johnson.

According to David Jenkinson, the splashers were the same size.

Oh, and the MR tenders were by Deeley BTW, not Johnson.

Thanks for the correction - will teach me to post after bedtime! All I was certain of last night re Deeley/Johnson/Uncle Bob/whoever was that the NRM tender was "the wrong one" for the later LMS builds. :)

Was sure the splasher comment isn't something I've dreamt up but I've no time to go digging for a reference - will accept another correction.

Edited by Jamie

All I was certain of last night re Deeley/Johnson/Uncle Bob/whoever was that the NRM tender was "the wrong one" for the later LMS builds. :)

Fact is, the tender is the wrong sort for any MR or LMS Compound being as its of S&DJR origin. LMS built Compounds 1045-1054 had rebuilt MR bogie tenders from 'Princess of Wales' singles originally. The remaining compounds (apart from two) were coupled originally to 3.500 gallon 'Fowler' tenders.
  • Like 1

i dont think compound's worked as far as York from Liverpool around this period, my old mate who was a driver at Bank hall liked the compounds, he had a favourite one in particular which ive forgotten,

I remember him saying they where more used on slower stopping trains such as this one at Town Green between Liverpool and Preston

6323045269_07462b054f_b.jpg

Town Green by Kerry Parker (KP), on Flickr

Mike - thanks for that photo - I have a Jim Peden photo taken at Sandhills which is slightly out of focus but as far as I can tell is 41163. As it was the only Compound I ever saw in my spotting days, That is the loco that I have a P4 model of, built for me from a Gibson kit and finished just before the NRM version was announced and which logically led to yesterday's announcement . . .

Cheers,

Stan

• Like 2

This is excellent news, we had lots of Compounds on the "Little North Western", in their final days locos were replaced by other compounds as they were withdrawn until there were none left, shortly after that the Morecambe-Bradford/Leeds turns were given over to the last unrebuilt Patriots until they too headed for the scrappers' torches.

I can then get rid of my original Hornby one with the awful tender although I had modified mine to accept an Airfix body, much sawing, glueing and butchering of the lead weight which then looked almost acceptable! Nasty noisy drive though.

Edward