Bachmann announce Midland Compound

Andy Y

I wrote to Bachmann regarding the red LMS compound - their reply states that the picture is as the model will appear; i.e. with the Stanier chimney. So the next question is, how easy is it to remove the chimney, and who makes a short Fowler chimney to replace it?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, now in stock at Rails

https://railsofsheffield.com/collections/new-Bachmann-received/products/Bachmann-31-934-lms-4p-compound-1119-lms-crimson-lake-lms

[now sold out at Rails already I see!]

Perhaps elsewhere too.

Looks good.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman
update
  • Like 1

I got an e-mail from Rails earlier this afternoon telling me that my pre-ordered one is on its way.  Unfortunately there's no tracking info in the e-mail, and when I go on to the Rails web site the order doesn't show up in My Account or in my list of pre-orders.  I'll just have to have faith and wait I guess...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Received from Rails today . A great looking loco . Initially I was a bit nervous as the centre wheels on tender fell out on removal from packaging . However they fitted back in easily and seem ok .  Running was a bit jittery to begin with and there is definitely a tight spot but she is settling down .  This is my first Bachmann loco for sometime so I’m not sure if they are all like that . Compared to my Hornby A2/2 and Heljan 86 she certainly doesn’t purr round the layout . Their running was much more smooth out of the box . That said she’s only done 15 minutes so not fully run in. And she’s going over the points easily , no electrical interruptions .  She looks gorgeous . Here she is with her Hornby predecessor 

1A01BE5C-E325-4285-96CA-85031B7031F5.jpeg

2E16349E-7545-40C1-A82B-EF6D7ADFFF9B.jpeg

Edited by Legend
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 20/09/2021 at 18:43, Legend said:

Received from Rails today . A great looking loco . Initially I was a bit nervous as the centre wheels on tender fell out on removal from packaging . However they fitted back in easily and seem ok .  Running was a bit jittery to begin with and there is definitely a tight spot but she is settling down .  This is my first Bachmann loco for sometime so I’m not sure if they are all like that . 

2 thoughts. First, I have 2 Compounds, the MR original then an ex LMS version in BR livery from the first batch. Both exhibit very different running qualities, the MR version not being as smooth as the BR model. I've scrupulously cleaned and lubed them - I think each is as good as it is going to get. So there are good and not so good runners. Second thought, the tender wheels should touch the pick ups on the tender underframe - you say a wheel fell out, have you checked they touch the pickups? Another common fault is the tender - loco plug not being properly fitted, thats worth a wiggle :) 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/09/2021 at 15:06, MikeParkin65 said:

2 thoughts. First, I have 2 Compounds, the MR original then an ex LMS version in BR livery from the first batch. Both exhibit very different running qualities, the MR version not being as smooth as the BR model. I've scrupulously cleaned and lubed them - I think each is as good as it is going to get. So there are good and not so good runners. Second thought, the tender wheels should touch the pick ups on the tender underframe - you say a wheel fell out, have you checked they touch the pickups? Another common fault is the tender - loco plug not being properly fitted, thats worth a wiggle :) 

Thanks for the tip Mike . I never thought to look to make sure that the tender was properly coupled as there was a label on the box saying loco and tender are permanently coupled . But you were correct the bar was not properly attached to the sprigot  on tender .  I think she just needed running in  though. She seems relatively smooth now after her 1 hour running in . I’ve got her on a rake of 4 Mainline 57ft coaches and she’s running sweetly . A very nice loco, which it should be for that price!   Thanks for the help 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I could see that the middle tender wheels had come adrift as soon as I took it out of the brown card box Rails packs their locos in. Why it was packed with them adrift is another matter. One of the front steps was also askew but went back easily enough. I don't have DC running rails so she is on the rollers. Mine is quiet but slightly noisier than other Bachy models like the 1P. When checking that all wheels collect current the strange thing is that when I lift the tender off the roller the motor slows but not when I lift the loco off. After running-in she crawls very well. Now to find decoder - I find Youchoos very helpful but they've made the mistake on the recording I listened to of having 6 exhaust beats like a Jubilee whereas it should be four as the high pressure cylinder exhausts to the low pressure outside cylinders. Wheeltappers it will have to be unless a fellow member can make another recommendation? 

Anybody know where MR shed code 13 is, please? Looked on Google but only has LMS codes as far as I can see. I know Derby was 1, Buxton 20 (I think ) Saltley 3.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Anybody know where MR shed code 13 is, please? Looked on Google but only has LMS codes as far as I can see. I know Derby was 1, Buxton 20 (I think ) Saltley 3.

13 appears to be Wellingborough in 1925.

All the best,

Keith

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

I could see that the middle tender wheels had come adrift as son as I took it out of the brown card box Rails packs their locos in. Why it was packed with them adrift is another matter. One of the front steps was also askew but went back easily enough. I don't have DC running rails so she is on the rollers. Mine is quiet but slightly noisier than other Bachy models like the 1P. When checking that all wheels collect current the strange thing is that when I lift the tender off the roller the motor slows but not when I lift the loco off. After running-in she crawls very well. Now to find decoder - I find Youchoos very helpful but they've made the mistake on the recording I listened to of having 6 exhaust beats like a Jubilee whereas it should be four as the high pressure cylinder exhausts to the low pressure outside cylinders. Wheeltappers it will have to be unless a fellow member can make another recommendation? 

It’s a tricky one. When Compounds started, high pressure steam was admitted to al three cylinders. As it got going, the driver could switch to compound working, for which, as you say, four beats per revolution would be correct. However, even before switching to compound, it didn’t sound like a Jubilee. The Jubilee had its cranks set at 120° like most three cylinder locos but the outside cranks of the Compounds were quartered.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, tractionman said:

13 appears to be Wellingborough in 1925.

and in 1898, the earliest listing in S. Summerson, Midland Railway Locomotives Vol. 1 (Irwell Press, 2000). His 1923 list has the Midland codes prefixed M and for the next year he gives, 1935, the LMS codes are in use.

Buxton was 20, rather oddly coming in between Liverpool, 19, and Manchester, 21.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

and in 1898, the earliest listing in S. Summerson, Midland Railway Locomotives Vol. 1 (Irwell Press, 2000). His 1923 list has the Midland codes prefixed M and for the next year he gives, 1935, the LMS codes are in use.

Buxton was 20, rather oddly coming in between Liverpool, 19, and Manchester, 21.

Thanks, I should have added my source too, the 1925 list of LMS shed codes is in Hawkins and Reeve, 'LMS Engine Sheds, vol 2, The Midland Railway', they have the 1911 list too with Wellingborough also then 13.

Fantastic series of books, I never tire of them and the all too many layout ideas they constantly inspire! 

All the best,

Keith

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit over-kill but I now have three Compounds. 934 was the LMS black version which I repainted. 1004 was the NRM 1000 which I renumbered and the new 1113. My excuse is that Derby sent them to Derwent (aka Buxton) with local stoppers after overhauls.

1865373780_DSCF8406(2).JPG.e14d1ff8a1c222d48c29fba4943ca9b8.JPG

2106461016_DSCF8408(2).JPG.6ba14b75612cb26e705dbbc07dea5ae9.JPG

Apologies for the light which I have to photograph against unless it's dark.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, No Decorum said:

It’s a tricky one. When Compounds started, high pressure steam was admitted to al three cylinders. As it got going, the driver could switch to compound working, for which, as you say, four beats per revolution would be correct. However, even before switching to compound, it didn’t sound like a Jubilee. The Jubilee had its cranks set at 120° like most three cylinder locos but the outside cranks of the Compounds were quartered.

Glover's Class V compounds were closely based on the LMS Standard Compound; Merlin is, I believe, currently operational, or has been in quite recent years. Would that not come close to the authentic sound of a Midland (Deeley) or LMS Standard Compound, for the purposes of a sound file?

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Glover's Class V compounds were closely based on the LMS Standard Compound; Merlin is, I believe, currently operational, or has been in quite recent years. Would that not come close to the authentic sound of a Midland (Deeley) or LMS Standard Compound, for the purposes of a sound file?

Ah yes, Merlin, in action 

All the best,

Keith

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Wheeltappers Compound sound is, according to their website, based on the Class V

Quote:

The Midland Compound sounds are taken from an Irish ‘V’ class locomotive as they are built to the same design as the Midland Compounds with the same 3 cylinder set up.
So we are classing them a generic sounds as there are none in preservation still running.
The sounds are enhanced with archived sounds.

I already have one of their decoders in my Midland Compound and I've just ordered one for 1113. My 934 has a non-sound decoder

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Would anybody notice when compounding begins? I gather on the real thing it was the position of the regulator not the speed which determined when compounding begins. There's only 4 exhaust beats per revolution whether the engine is in simple or compounding mode. You can change between heavy and light "chuffs" though. Unfortunately it's been put on F22 which means the engine has got to the end of its run on my end to end by the time I've pressed the option button twice and then No 2 on my NCE controller, although there must be a few on here who could change that.

• Friendly/supportive 1

A lot of projects have a choice of sounds which can be changed by pressing a function button. The most usual is a choice between a locomotive working light and working a train. I think a good solution would be to have simple and compound working switchable in that way. If I recall correctly, on the real thing there was a “trick” valve. When the driver wants to switch to compound, he opens the regulator fully, then returns it to his preferred setting. Merlin is indeed in working order but, thanks to Covid, hasn’t had a good run for a while.

• Like 2

As I am lucky now to have both LMS versions, it was not long before I felt the gravitational pull of the record books and the magnifying glass. The builders plate on 1119 carries '1925 Horwich', the one on 1189 shows '1927 Vulcan Foundry', both correct. Top marks for Bachmann's research team.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1