Bachmann announce Midland Compound

Andy Y

They weren't called crimson ramblers for nothing, but the war put paid to that when they went into works for repaint. They got plain black. The yellow insignia with red shading followed the short-lived block style in 1937. Wartime repaints often got plain yellow insignia. Some locos simply had thei numbers picked out in plain yellow. The tender insignia looks to be 40" centres. The model is in postwar livery and no lining was every carried with this livery. For those wanting it in early BR condition, a '4' was put in front of the cabside number, although the whole number was often re-done in smaller characters. As usual, photos of your particular beast are the best bet.

I can well recommend the book 'LMS Locomotive Profiles No. 13 The Standard Compounds'.

Bachmann are to be commended for this model. It is a different animal to the Midland version and carries a lot of different detail. I particularly like the extended mainframes at the front, so despite having converted my red-'un many months ago, as seen below, this new variant is a must-have.

post-6680-0-52617500-1354921831.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 8

Guest Max Stafford

One in early BR black will almost certainly wing its way here, purely to entertain those little Sou'West leanings I'm party to from time to time. Looks good!

Dave.

• Like 1

It's a new model and would go like hot cakes whether it was in Andy Capp livery or fully wallpapered in Lincrusta. Getting the postwar livery out of the way was a good move and, Incidentally, three years from 1945 to 1948 isn't as short-lived as some diesel liveries, in fact some engines did not recieve a BR number until 1950. If I were a cynical man then I would expect 1930's LMS crimson lake next and finally BR lined black based on the assumption that the biggest market is BR.

After nationalization a considerable number of engines remained in plain black and many recieved their new numbers on LMS style 10 inch unshaded yellow serif transfers while retaining LMS on the tender. I'm tempted by this style.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I agree,Larry. This is a truly seductive model.The lettering & numerals highlighted by the plain black livery added to the graceful Compound lines will make a truly dramatic statement on any one's layout. I can see it,in my mind's eye heading a rake of LMS Staniers or ,for a piece-de-resistance,teak Gresleys. Harks back to Eric Treacy's post-war Liverpool Lime Street photos. The album was called 'Steam Up'

• Like 1

According to Essery and Jenkinson's "Illustrated History of LMS Locomotives volume 1", page 217, only 4 Compounds remained red throughout the war. Numbers 930 and 1059 were painted black in 1946 and 1081 in 1947. The very last LMS loco ever to carry red was Compound 934 which was carrying 40934 on the smokebox but 934 on the cab and LMS on the tender in Midland style 14" yellow/red when it was finally repainted in 1951 (photo same page).

Interestingly, 2 Princess Royals, 6 Royal Scots, 14 Jubilees, 3 Patriots and the sole remaining Claughton 6004 also stayed red during the war, with many receiving their full BR cabside numbers while still in red livery. Only one loco, Jubilee 5594, actually got a repaint in red after the war (1946) - the rest all went 1946 lined black as they shopped.

Rodger

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I agree,Larry. This is a truly seductive model.The lettering & numerals highlighted by the plain black livery added to the graceful Compound lines will make a truly dramatic statement on any one's layout. I can see it,in my mind's eye heading a rake of LMS Staniers or ,for a piece-de-resistance,teak Gresleys. Harks back to Eric Treacy's post-war Liverpool Lime Street photos. The album was called 'Steam Up'

Well, my LMS black Compound arrived yesterday, and with apologies to some who may recognise my photo setting, here it is in all its post-war glory... a truly beautiful model. Wasn't sure about coal rails on the tender but someone will put me right on that...

post-7929-0-33686400-1355806130.jpg

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Thanks,Rob,for illustrating my dream perfectly.I've got the Staniers and I'm wating patiently for Rails to deliver my Midland Compound.Hopefully on its way.Ironic that it arrives in NZ before it covers the 40 odd miles from Sheffield.It's an ever-shrinking world. Enjoy !

I couldn't wait to get a Compound and bought the NRM model as soon as it appeared. Mrs coach did a wobbler when she saw me taking a saw to the crimson beast but I just had to have it in LMS condition with BR lining. Now Rob has put the cat amongst the pigions by showing that postwar LMS black version with extended frames......... I neeeeed one, but I know here indoors will ask me why I need two! I'll just tell her she always buys two shoes and so it's the same with Compounds.....One RH and one LH.... :pardon:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 14

Thankyou all, it's a pleasure to illustrate such nice models. In the case above I really should have been careful with my title for the photo as it is of course an LMS Compound, not a pre-grouping Midland Railway version by Johnson/Deeley. I really do admire the 'Midland way', as it is sometimes termed; fast light trains at regular intervals. Even Henry Fowler was content to continue production of engines suited to such work, although I imagine the engineering and train-operating culture of the early 1920s was a very complex can-of-worms!

Rob

typo edit

Edited by robmcg

Thanks,Rob,for illustrating my dream perfectly.I've got the Staniers and I'm wating patiently for Rails to deliver my Midland Compound.Hopefully on its way.Ironic that it arrives in NZ before it covers the 40 odd miles from Sheffield.It's an ever-shrinking world. Enjoy !

Actually I was very surprised when the cardboard box containing said LMS Compound was thrown at my back door on Monday morning. It had been posted from Liverpool I think around Wednesday the previous week, and that's about as quick as it gets for signed-for Royal Mail from the UK., average being 6-10 working days, variable delays with NZ mail or courier as well. This is faster than NZ to/from Australia or US , bearing in mind that the amount of handling varies depending on source and destination.

I have been a little wary of Rails of Sheffield because they do overseas orders 'at cost', where I would like to choose from a priced option, and do rather like being able to 'track' a package. Not that that always sheds light on missing items; often the details are not entered into the system! One lost item from Hattons appeared with no clues as to why it was missing after 5 months! Hattons are very obliging (and calm) and offer to replace items which are lost, at their discretion I suppose, in my case I think 20 working days was once mentioned for airmail.

Good luck, it's a superb model.

Rob (NZ)

Edited by robmcg

An LMS 'Black Beauty' The prettiest thing on four couples I ever did behold. Magnificent! 'Rails' delivery was excellent and their communication courteous and friendly---a feature of late.It was also free.

No, its only the second. The robinson D11 comes first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After ordering shortly before my post above the Compound arrived today. What great service Rails4U!

It's a shame that like the 3F the tender brakes are not in line with the wheels otherwise at first glance it looks a great model. Now I just need to build a layout to run it on.

Quick question or two - did the Compounds ever appear in the upper reaches of Scotland (i.e. Inverness/Aberdeen areas) back in the day? And were any allocated to sheds in those parts of Scotland in the early to mid 60's?

Thanks

Quick question or two - did the Compounds ever appear in the upper reaches of Scotland (i.e. Inverness/Aberdeen areas) back in the day?

Compounds were quite common on the Glasgow-Aberdeen route up till the mid-1950s. At Nationalisation, Ferryhill had 3, Perth had 8 and St. Rollox had 3. At the end of 1952, there were 3 at Ferryhill, 1 at Forfar, 4 at Perth, 3 at Stirling and 3 at St. Rollox. By the end of 1955, all that were left were 2 at Perth and 2 at St. Rollox. (Not all of them would have been active throughout this period. Some were stored at various times.)

The only compounds I have read of being shedded at Inverness were 3 that were sent there late in 1948. Two were quickly moved on to Aviemore, but by the end of the year all 3 had gone south again. However, compounds from other sheds (mostly Perth engines) did work over the Highland line on locals to Blair Atholl and, apparently, occasionally to Aviemore after that. 

And were any allocated to sheds in those parts of Scotland in the early to mid 60's?

The last Scottish compound was withdrawn from Stranraer in May 1958, so the answer to that is, unfortunately, 'no'.

(Edit - most of this information comes from an article titled 'The LMS Compounds in Scotland' in 'Steam Days' for March 1998)   

Edited by pH
  • Like 1

Not sure about the syle of lettering but the plain black LMS livery suits post-WW2 to my eyes and could possibly be run with c1948-50 stock... and there's every chance mine will be weathered to later BR condition if I go mad some day....

Rob

Ties in nicely with some previous Bachmann LMS releases, bearing in mind the Ivatt 2-6-2T, Class 2 & 4 2-6-0s and the Fairburn all appropriate for the immediately pre-nationalisation period...

As suggested earlier in the thread, possibly a canny choice for the first LMS release given the existance of the NRM Midland version- maybe Bachmann's logic is that people who've already bought the NRM edition might be more tempted by a black version as the first 'mainstream' range Compound, rather than another red one.