Bachmann announce Midland Compound

Andy Y

Guest Tom F

Is that a Gresley behind? Could she be approaching Challoners Whin Junction on the approach to York on the ECML?

Just a wild guess mind! :P

EDIT

I hadn't noticed the reporting number....that rules that one out!

Edited by Tom F

No way is that Norfolk - I think Max is on the right track - that open expanse of water and the low mountain in the distance is very evocative...

(My first thought was it could be Anglesey seen from afar but the line seems to be in the wrong place...

Looks to be a 4-track formation or a junction. Wonder if it's near Holywell or Shotton...? The Llandudno-Birmingham's often had Compound's on them.

I'd go for something in that area too. The ballasting in the photo would never be acceptable in a model..

Guest Max Stafford

^

Oh my God, he looks a bit like the playwright Samuel Beckett. :O

Looks like he's waiting for Godot! ;-)

Dave.

Shot of the model seen on the Alexandra Palace exhibition thread. Go find. It looks good :yes:

I found several RM threads under 'Alexandria Palace' but none had pics of a compound... can you be more specific? Perhaps I am just blind...

Does anyone know if the LMS design Compounds ran in black prior to WW2 or is "LMS Black" the model has been announced in the wartime or postwar livery? I was sure when they were built they were painted Crimson Lake, but I suppose it is possible they started to emerge in black in the late 1930s.

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if the LMS design Compounds ran in black prior to WW2 or is "LMS Black" the model has been announced in the wartime or postwar livery? I was sure when they were built they were painted Crimson Lake, but I suppose it is possible they started to emerge in black in the late 1930s.

While reading this I happened to have Brian Haresnape's book "Railway Liveries 1923-1947" on my desk to check something else.

On page 114 he states that from 1928 to 1939, the second period, the number of locomotives using crimson lake was now restricted to the more important and modern. i.e: 4-6-2s, Royal Scots, Jubilees, Claughtons, Hughes 4-6-0s and 4-4-0 compounds. This is the period with "LMS" on the tender.

They were of course crimson lake prior to 1928 with the loco number on the tender.

From 1939 onwards any repaints were black.

David

Edited, as usual, to correct my poor typing.

Edited by DaveF

As the model is obviously an LMS 6'9" compound and not the Midland version may I suggest Andy or someone amends the incorrect title of this topic. (Perhaps Bachmann should get this right in their advertising too)

The photos of the pre-production model look very good and I will have to generate an excuse for one wandering down my imaginary extension of the S&D.

Ian

• Like 2