Bachmann announce Midland Compound

Andy Y

shot of a another grubby one..

Something for LMS fans behind the engine, a 60ft open coach. These were built as all first class and all third class, both types sharing the same body with extra large lavatories. Not one I have ever built for myself, but I think Comet might get a phonecall soon! Edited by coachmann

• 4 months later...

As much as I like the NRM Compound, there are some things that are just meant to be lined black!

Personally I would have preferred a lined red LMS version, none wore black prior to the war when unlined black was applied and a handful made it into BR still in red, one lasting until 1951. Also it's always easier to paint unlined black should you really want a wartime Compound than attempt the reverse job with all the fiddly lining to try and do. Presumably there's some sort of agreement with the NRM not to do a red Compound until they have milked 1000 dry.

Edited by wombatofludham
  • Like 1

Presumably there's some sort of agreement with the NRM not to do a red Compound until they have milked 1000 dry.

Or, to put it slightly more charitably, until Bachmann and the NRM have maximised their investment and innovation and thereby helped to ensure their futures.

• Like 3

Actually I didn't mean anything uncharitable by my comment, I just feel that the LMS built Compound in LMS red wouldn't dilute sales of the NRM specials, they are after all quite different, the NRM model being probably a unique market of in large part collectors.

As much as I like the NRM Compound, there are some things that are just meant to be lined black!

I couldn't agree more! Lined black (derived from the Midlands arch enemies!) suits this loco so well. I always thought they looked a bit gawdy in red.

• RMweb Premium

I was under the impression that LMS passenger locos given black livery were (prior to WW2) given red lining and given the compound was a passenger engine, Bachmann would have applied like the crab they offered a few years ago. Plain black just look wrong somehow

According to Jenkinson's "Locomotive liveries of the LMS" all Compounds were red prior to the war. The first Compounds to receive unlined Wartime austerity unlined black did so in 1940 although some remained red throughout the war, the last one being repainted as BR 40934 in 1951.

That's why it seems a bit odd that Bachmann have gone for an LMS livery that would have been relatively short lived compared to Crimson Lake, especially as Jenkinson explains they were the largest single LMS class painted red. Still, it's a very nice model and I'm sure a Crimson one will come out in due course, and I must admit I do rather like the post-war Ivatt lined black, probably something to do with growing up next to the LNWR main line albeit in the days of AC electrics!

• 3 months later...

Just got the email to say mine too is on its way from Hattons.

Something of an unexpected surprise as I'd been anticipating January/February at the earliest. Even Bachmann's website (as at 5/12) is quoting that they're at the "production sample" stage http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=74&vis=2 .

I'm not complaining though. Rather looking forward to the arrival of the postman tomorrow.

Andy

A lovely surprise, and extra nice in pristine LMS form.

I had to have one immediately, even though I had told myself they were a bit pricey. Bachmann are brave to add the brake rods. Will look nice with Hornby Staniers, slightly modded Hattons' pics ...

post-7929-0-79787100-1354913661.jpg

post-7929-0-76223900-1354913718.jpg

Rob

• Like 5

Oh yes, but I'm busy with all kinds of other goodies ... too many nice RTR 00 models arriving these days! Did I say that?

I expect it will arrive down here in 10-12 days, airmail can get a bit odd in December. Actually in looking at the model, the only thing which strikes me as being very slightly 'wrong' is the narrow gauge effect of 00 and I imagine conversion to EM or P4 would be interesting! I'm very impressed by the brake rods and gear.

• RMweb Premium

Very nice, although I am still not quite sure what era the LMS liveried example is meant to be from. Being a passenger loco, under the revised LMS livery scheme, it should have a small amount of red lining (as on the crab released by Bachmann a few years ago). Without this I can only conclude the model is, as with the Fairburn tank, presented in Derby's WW2 plain black livery (Crewe was using the newer 'block' style insignia by then).

Not sure about the syle of lettering but the plain black LMS livery suits post-WW2 to my eyes and could possibly be run with c1948-50 stock... and there's every chance mine will be weathered to later BR condition if I go mad some day....

Rob