Bachmann announce Midland Compound

Andy Y

8 hours ago, GreatWesternFan220 said:

Hi all,

I haven't posted on RMweb for quite some time but I thought I'd like to show off my repaint of a Bachmann Compound into it's proper colors (might've offended some people Lol). The model was previously Bachmann's LMS plain black variant that was obtained second hand from a well known auction website. This project was 4 months in the making and I am very pleased with how this turned out. I may not be as skilled and talented as many of you on here so it might not be a "professional finish", so there are many imperfections/compromises. This project came to be as I have grown tired of waiting for Bachmann to announce an LMS crimson one as part of their main range so I took it upon myself to create my own "Crimson Rambler". The lining and cabside numerals are from HMRS and the modern warning stickers and smokebox numerals are from Fox Transfers. As I am from the US I had to use what was available, so the paint used in this project was Humbrol's no.20 Crimson (I am sure Railmatch and Precision Paints produce a more authentic shade of LMS crimson). The loco has modern warning stickers because this is a loco based at my fictional heritage railway that ventures out on the mainline from time to time but is not a regular performer like 6233, 60163, etc. Once I get accustomed to using this website again I will be posting more pictures of this loco and my other models in specific galleries (if that is possible) but in the meantime, I hope you all like my repaint. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Will delete if considered inappropriate or if asked.

20201223_130327_70.jpg

20201223_125826_70.jpg

20201223_130220_70.jpg

20201223_130015_70.jpg

20201223_125616_70.jpg

That looks very nice. I’ll keep mine in the Bachmann lustrous black, which I like. I hope Bachmann is watching because I’d like one of these produced. It would be welcomed by the less skilled/patient/lazy amongst us.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GreatWesternFan220 said:

That looks even better than mine! Well done! I thought the last ones built were 935-939?

Quite right. 934 was the last one built at the Vulcan Foundry and it was the only one to enter nationalisation in red.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 02/01/2021 at 06:41, GreatWesternFan220 said:

the paint used in this project was Humbrol's no.20 Crimson (I am sure Railmatch and Precision Paints produce a more authentic shade of LMS crimson). 

The Ratio Midland carriage kit instructions used the recommend "Humbrol No. 20 with a drop of black". I reckon wat you've got is good for a preserved engine on a sunny day!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 02/01/2021 at 16:09, atom3624 said:

There's obvious signs of 'hand finished paint', but the attention to detail is excellent - very good job, and it looks great.

Al.

I think  it looks more realistically ‘metal’ than can be achieved by perfectly spray painting plastic. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
19 minutes ago, tractionman said:

Looks superb, I see 1119 was shedded at Crewe North

https://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2013/06/crewe-north-1946-1948.html?m=1

in 1935 and 1939.

Don't Bachmann do LMS crimson liveried locos beautifully...

Cheers,

Keith

Yes. A good colour photo of it on the Colour rail website and this on Flicker.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31514768@N05/51017448392/

I'm glad I waited rather than attempt to paint one myself.

Jason

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 07/12/2012 at 14:33, brossard said:

Exciting news indeed. However, I'm after the red version so I guess I'll be waiting a while longer.

John

Fast forward to 2021...

Our time has come! :-)

cheers,

Keith

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tractionman said:

Fast forward to 2021...

Our time has come! :-)

cheers,

Keith

Too late for me, I moved to 0 gauge 5 years a go.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes it looks lovely , if pricey. Finger hovered above the “buy it now” button in Rails for all of ....oh 5 seconds .  Looking forward to it . 

• Like 2

On 17/08/2012 at 22:07, wombatofludham said:

According to Jenkinson's "Locomotive liveries of the LMS" all Compounds were red prior to the war. The first Compounds to receive unlined Wartime austerity unlined black did so in 1940 although some remained red throughout the war, the last one being repainted as BR 40934 in 1951.

That's why it seems a bit odd that Bachmann have gone for an LMS livery that would have been relatively short lived compared to Crimson Lake, especially as Jenkinson explains they were the largest single LMS class painted red. Still, it's a very nice model and I'm sure a Crimson one will come out in due course, and I must admit I do rather like the post-war Ivatt lined black, probably something to do with growing up next to the LNWR main line albeit in the days of AC electrics!

Flippin' Nora, I was bemoaning the choice of unlined utility black as the launch livery for the LMS standard Compound 9 years ago!!!

More to the point, I still haven't built my LMS layout yet...

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Flippin' Nora, I was bemoaning the choice of unlined utility black as the launch livery for the LMS standard Compound 9 years ago!!!

Same here!

Boards down but still fiddling with the plan... but scenes like this are inspiration, a crimson 1121, great book too:

https://images.app.goo.gl/W8PtA1QvjyLFhQ6x6

On 06/05/2021 at 09:59, wombatofludham said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the whole reason why we haven't seen one in LMS Crimson until now solely down to Locomotion's model of No. 1000?  At least that's what I've always assumed to be the case, and at any rate rather ridiculous.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Synch said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the whole reason why we haven't seen one in LMS Crimson until now solely down to Locomotion's model of No. 1000?  At least that's what I've always assumed to be the case, and at any rate rather ridiculous.

Its never been officially cited as a reason, but the suspicion is there.

However there is the wider issue that Bachmann seem to have a policy of releasing plain black LMS liveries in initial runs which do seem to hang around on shelves thus making Bachmann less likely to release further crimson variants.

They also seem to have a hatred of the pre 1928 LMS liveries - so far I think we have had the NRM Crab (but loads of lined black ones) plus the L&Y 2-4-2T in the crimson + cabside roundel livery and nothing in the freight livery equivalent.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Synch said:

7 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Its never been officially cited as a reason, but the suspicion is there.

However there is the wider issue that Bachmann seem to have a policy of releasing plain black LMS liveries in initial runs which do seem to hang around on shelves thus making Bachmann less likely to release further crimson variants.

They also seem to have a hatred of the pre 1928 LMS liveries - so far I think we have had the NRM Crab (but loads of lined black ones) plus the L&Y 2-4-2T in the crimson + cabside roundel livery and nothing in the freight livery equivalent.

Not at all sure of the logic here. The latest model is being offered in post-1928 livery, the Compounds being among the select express passenger classes retaining the red livery; it represents an LMS Standard Compound. I can understand Bachmann's preference for later liveries, since the number of people attempting to model the LMS in the 1930s with RTR equipment (tricky) must, I'm sure (and on the basis of layouts in the magazines) considerably outnumber those attempting the 1920s with RTR equipment (well-nigh impossible for reasons that have nothing to do with the lack of appropriately-liveried engines). 

I can see that there might potentially be an issue with the NRM if Bachmann were to issue a Midland Compound in Midland livery - which would only represent very late Midland condition, only 6 engines being superheated before the Great War, the remaining engines being superheated between 1922 and 1928. The NRM model represents the condition of 1000 as preserved.

I have the NRM model. The alternative version I would buy without a moment's hesitation would be a re-tooling to represent 2631/2 as built!

• Like 1

Yep. It's 1930s condition probably on it's second livery. Earlier ones had Midland style lettering usually in Gold with the number on the tender. I think that batch was built with the roundel on the cabside.

A quick glance at the Illustrated History of LMS Locomotives Volume 4 by Essery/Jenkinson suggests it should be in A14 livery which I believe it is.

Post 1927 Crimson Lake, standard Yellow/Red insignia, 12 inch numerals.

A6 is the Gold equivilant.

Even has the LNWR style shedcode plate which very few locomotives carried on their smokeboxes. The LNWR normally placed them in the cabs. 13 is Bushbury I think.

Don't worry about the missing coal rails. They will be in the packet.

I'll have a good look and try and find the other relevant books. Many of them are put away ATM.

Jason

• Like 1

On 12/05/2021 at 14:02, Steamport Southport said:

Yep. It's 1930s condition probably on it's second livery. Earlier ones had Midland style lettering usually in Gold with the number on the tender. I think that batch was built with the roundel on the cabside.

A quick glance at the Illustrated History of LMS Locomotives Volume 4 by Essery/Jenkinson suggests it should be in A14 livery which I believe it is.

Post 1927 Crimson Lake, standard Yellow/Red insignia, 12 inch numerals.

A6 is the Gold equivilant.

Even has the LNWR style shedcode plate which very few locomotives carried on their smokeboxes. The LNWR normally placed them in the cabs. 13 is Bushbury I think.

Don't worry about the missing coal rails. They will be in the packet.

I'll have a good look and try and find the other relevant books. Many of them are put away ATM.

Jason

But what about the chimney?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flittersnoop said:

But what about the chimney?!

I was going by the list in the book that says what confirmed liveries they carried. Chimneys and such aren't covered in that book, but is in other books.

As I said in the previous post many of my books are away at the moment. I haven't got access to them, but I will try and get to them when I'm less busy.

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 19/05/2021 at 23:33, Steamport Southport said:

I was going by the list in the book that says what confirmed liveries they carried. Chimneys and such aren't covered in that book, but is in other books.

As I said in the previous post many of my books are away at the moment. I haven't got access to them, but I will try and get to them when I'm less busy.

Jason

This has got me searching through my various LMS books as well as online...

So what do folks think of this 

LMS - 927 - Fowler LMS Compound Class 4-4-0 - built 05/27 by Vulcan Foundry Co. - 08/48 to BR No.40927 - 07/57 withdrawn from 20A Leeds Holbeck - seen here at Didsbury, 03/38.

as a possibility?

There's a picture of this loco also in Essery and Jenkinson, vol four, page 74, also in crimson and with a chimney that looks very much like that of the new Bachmann Compound.

But otherwise the search goes on...

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh and just to add, there's a picture of 1119 in unlined black in August 1944 in the wonderful album by Bill Hudson, "Along LMS Routes", page 110, on a service leaving Llandudno Junction.

By then the chimney definitely looks like the one on the new Bachmann loco, the question is, when did it get it? Before it was repainted black? The caption suggests the repaint was recent when the photograph was taken...

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/01/2021 at 18:42, GreatWesternFan220 said:

That looks even better than mine! Well done! I thought the last ones built were 935-939?

That is absolutely beautiful,....... rgds  mike