Bachmann announce new wagons

Andy Y

One of each in grey have hopefully winged (wung) their way down from Liverpool today. 

Assuming they're awaiting my return, I'll be able to offer some first impressions a bit later....

Received my LMS Grey and Bauxite Midland Brakevans from Hattons today and they were well worth the wait!! Beautiful livery and some very fine detail accompany these wagons. Personally, I prefer the Bauxite version as I feel Bauxite has not received much attention from Bachmann compared to LMS grey. Already got two of these wagons in kit built form and finding it very hard to determine which is RTR and which is kit built!! Pleased to see an alternate to the standard LMS 20T Brake as well!! Well done Bachmann!!

As no one has put images up yet of the MR Brakes, here are my two with my two kitbuilt examples. As previously said, they're excellent wagons!! Interesting to note though that LMS 2045 is shown in LMS Wagons on p.1 of Vol.1.

kaww.jpg

6142.jpg

pp6p.jpg

kfun.jpg

9mb6.jpg

atdq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I picked up an early BR Fish van at Ian Allan Waterloo at the end of last week.

Also I rang Trains4U this morning, they had just had their grey Covhops come in, 12 of them. Only 10 left when I put the phone down though.

Stewart

Also arrived today are the Metalair PCAs, plus more Mark 1 Sleeping Cars (an additional run to the initial batch released in summer 2013).

Note the grey Covhops are sold out from Bachmann, so if you want them and your retailer has them, grab them whilst can!

I picked up an early BR Fish van at Ian Allan Waterloo at the end of last week.

Stewart

This is the prototype for the LNER version http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnercoveredmerchandise/e232b3569  Notice that this has a wooden frame with flitch solebar. The photo by Bachmann appear to show that they have modelled this, so it is a new (and useful) frame for other wagons. Some detail photos of the model would be nice to see.

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Gold

Some detail photos of the model would be nice to see.

Paul Bartlett

Will do when mine arrives Paul.Thanks for the prototype photo.

Hattons have honoured their early bird price on this wagon.So I've saved a couple of quid or in effect received free postage.

• RMweb Premium

I picked up one of the Fish Vans from Monk Bar Models in York this morning; here are a few observations and some quick pictures - I hope Robin doesn't mind me stealing his thunder!

The underframe is indeed, as already mentioned, a new moulding representing the LNER timber design.  The headstocks are not a continuous moulding across the full width of the wagon, and the main part terminates inboard of the vertical strapping on the body ends.  This means the vertical strapping is moulded in one piece (and the ends of the headstocks are moulded as part of the body), and presumably would facilitate using the new underframe moulding with other types of wagon which shared the same design.  The 'breaks' in the headstocks are successfully disguised by the vertical strapping itself; however, for the BR version this does mean that the ends of the headstocks are brown whereas the main part is black.  This should be easily rectified with a small amount of paint, and would not be apparent in the LNER version where the solebars and headstocks are the same colour as the wagon body.  Otherwise, the main omission is the vertical safety loop which hangs round the link between the two V hangers on one side.  This is also missing from the other LNER designed wagons Bachmann have produced and is easily added with a strip of thin metal; this gives a much better appearance than a solid moulding, anyway.

The body is to the same standards as the other vans in the range.  However the lower handle on the doors is a solid moulding rather than being a separate wire item, and the lamp irons are also moulded as part  of the body rather than being added metal parts as they were on the corrugated end vans.  I think I can live with both those departures - in fact, I think the mouldings look neater in some respects.

post-31-0-02212100-1400155766.jpg

post-31-0-39098700-1400155837.jpg

post-31-0-62017400-1400155812.jpg

I have said it before, while extremely grateful for the LNER wagon designs they have introduced, I remain surprised that Bachmann have not shown any signs of a similar set of releases of LMS standard designs of opens and vans. It's almost as if their loco release policy is decided by one committee, and wagon releases by another: and they don't talk to each other...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm fond of an ALE, but the wheelsets on this example are a little - well, odd...

https://railsofsheffield.com/8-ton-ale-wagon-br-bauxite-37-713-JJJA22627.aspx

To the indecipherable meaning voter, if you look closely you'll see that one is a three hole the other spoked.  Maybe the assembler had had too much ALE!

Unless you're telling me that's the way the prototype was, in which case - major respect!

• RMweb Premium

Not unheard of in real life, but probably a first for an RTR model!  I recently bought one of the ex LMS brake vans and when I got it home, found it only had one wheelset!  I probably should have returned it to the shop, but instead I fitted a matching set from my stash of spares - I wonder whether Rails had a similar problem?

Archived