Farish announce Merchant Navy

Andy Y

Farish joins the Merchant Navy

Merchant Navy MC50616.jpg

Graham Farish has announced that it is to produce a new N scale model of the streamlined Bulleid Merchant Navy Class locomotives.

The first of the Class was built in 1941, with a total of 30 locomotives being built with the last being delivered in 1949. All 30 locomotives were subsequently all rebuilt and lost their streamlined casing between February 1956 and October 1959. Used on express passenger workings on non electrified routes operated by the Southern Railway and later the Southern Region of British Railways, they lasted until the end of SR steam operation in July 1967. Eleven of the 30 have survived into preservation. The Graham Farish model will depict the streamlined version.

Three versions are being introduced including No. 35024 ‘East Asiatic Company’ in BR blue with early emblem (372-310), No. 35023 ‘Holland-Afrika Line’ in BR green with early emblem (372-311) and No. 35028 ‘Clan Line’ in BR green with late crest (372-312). Features include;

• Original streamlined body and tender

• Loco powered chassis with NEM 6 pin decoder socket in the tender

• Detailed cab

• Electrical pickup on driving and tender wheels

David Haarhouse, Bachmann’s European Sales & Marketing Manager said “The streamlined Merchant Navy was produced originally in OO scale by the old Graham Farish company between 1950 and 1953. Now a brand new N scale version built to the latest standards will delight many N scale modellers and remind us all of just how far the Graham Farish range has developed since it was acquired by Bachmann in 2000”.

Each version will cost £138.95 recommended retail price and will be introduced over the next 18 months.

I've been looking at all these new loco announcements and the MN is really the first one I can see myself actually spending money on. Didn't Dapol announce an N scale MN last fall when it also annouced the A3 and A4? I simply don't remember, nor do I remember if its version was going to be streamlined or rebuilt.

In any case, the streamlined MN from Poole was one of the few Farish kettles I could never bring myself to buy. The 1:1 scale ones were truly fine looking machines. The Poole version, however, not so much.

I know the manufacturers are making what they think will sell, and yes, some of those models just announced will replace older toolings that certainly needed an update to attract new people to the hobby and keep it viable. But I'm at a point where unless the previous model was truly appalling I'm happy with my collection as it is and I have no plans to "upgrade" like-for-like. As such I'd prefer to see a bit more diversity (for lack of a better word). I mean, whatever happened to the Ivatt 2MT or the J39 that were announced some time ago?

Happily Union Mills fill this niche to some degree (e.g. its re-tooled J39 is excellent) and Dapol offered some interesting small steam engines up until a few years ago (and the Terrier presently), but unless you like BR Standards they don't seem to be in favor at the moment.

That's fine, of course. The upshot of all this is that it makes it easier for me to save up for a Blue Pullman! (The irony of this is not lost on me, BTW.)

Matt

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt.

The Dapol announcement was the West Country and Battle of Britain Classes, so no direct competition.

I was hoping for the rebuilt Merchant Navy, but will console myself with the hope that one will follow in in the future. And a Std4 tank :)

Tom.

In any case, the streamlined MN from Poole was one of the few Farish kettles I could never bring myself to buy. The 1:1 scale ones were truly fine looking machines. The Poole version, however, not so much.

They never actually made one - it was a WC/BoB which sometimes pretended to be a MN in the Poole days.

What with this and the SR coaches and Dapol's WC/BB's things are looking good for the SR fans.

Yes indeed, after a long period as the poor-man of N gauge, the SR is finsally going to get some time in the sun. If Dapol do go ahead and announce the rumoured Maunsell coaches, it could eb going from drought to flood! :)

Yes indeed, after a long period as the poor-man of N gauge, the SR is finsally going to get some time in the sun. If Dapol do go ahead and announce the rumoured Maunsell coaches, it could eb going from drought to flood! :)

Agree its great BUT we then need more EMUs ........Dont we??

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Belgian

As I seldom look at N gauge matters this topic had passed me by until now. In view of Bachmann's tendency to make N gauge versions of its 4mm models, will it now reverse the trend and do a 4mm Original 'Merchant', in view of Hornby's apparent refusal to do one? I, for one, hope so!

JE

• 1 month later...
If Dapol do go ahead and announce the rumoured Maunsell coaches, it could be going from drought to flood! :)

The heavens have opened and the Maunsells are coming. I am a GWR man at heart but I think I can make room for a little southern influence. :locomotive:

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Based on previous models seen in EP form at Warley, I'd say we're probably looking at release 8-10 months from now. If they have painted samples at Alexandra Palace, then it's likely to be closer to 8. 

Tom. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi all,

Just been looking at the Bachmann site and the new models are there. A delivery date of May/June (I guess this is 2015)

The models are as follows:-

Merchant Navy Class £ 149.95
372-313 35021 'New Zealand Line' BR Malachite
372-310 35024 'East Asiatic Company BR Express Passenger Blue Early Emblem
372-311 35023 'Holland-Afrika Line' BR Green Early Emblem
372-312 35028 'Clan Line' BR Green Late Crest

Hope this helps (now come on Dapol with the WC/BB)

Chris

Edit

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=farish&prod=2

• RMweb Gold

There is no Southern version as the version being produced by Farish is a third series Merchant Navy with a 6000 gallon tender that were introduced post 1948 so whilst originally in malachite they never carried full Southern livery, lettering or the smoke box ring.

Guest Belgian

There is no Southern version as the version being produced by Farish is a third series Merchant Navy with a 6000 gallon tender that were introduced post 1948 so whilst originally in malachite they never carried full Southern livery, lettering or the smoke box ring.

Nor the Bulleid numbers, all starting life in the BR 35021-30 series. Some of them (35021/2/4/6/7) were released to traffic with non-matching Light Pacific tenders, in which condition they looked positively weird!

This series was to all intents and purposes identical to the second series (35011-20) and a raft of tender changes in the early 1950s resulted in some of the second series - notably 35014*/15*/18^/20^ - running for considerable periods of time with 6,000 gallon tenders from the third series, a number of the latter thus also running with second-series 5,100 gallon tenders. The stories of Merchant Navy variations are mostly to do with the tenders, three being cut-down^ in 1952 - long before the rebuilding began - and one* having its 'top' remodelled to create a coal-weighing tender.

The announced Bachmann models will only be 'correct' for the following dates:

372-313 35021 'New Zealand Line' BR Malachite                                                                         November 1948 until 20/9/50 (repainted BR blue) 

372-310 35024 'East Asiatic Company BR Express Passenger Blue Early Emblem                     30/4/49 until May 1951 (repainted BR green)
372-311 35023 'Holland-Afrika Line' BR Green Early Emblem                                                       March 1952 until 7/1/57 (into Eastleigh for rebuilding)
372-312 35028 'Clan Line' BR Green Late Crest                                                                            The only engine to run with the late crest before rebuilding, probably from 5/1/57 or 6/9/58 until 21/8/59

so none of them can 'correctly' be seen together at any one time.

JE

Archived