Farish announce new Deltic

Andy Y

Farish to introduce new Class 55 Deltic

Whilst the Class 55 Deltic has been in the Graham Farish range since 1984, the next 18 months will see a brand new version introduced on to the market to replace it.

22 of the powerful production Deltic locomotives were built between 1961 and 1962 following trials of the prototype Deltic locomotive introduced in 1955. The Deltics were used on express passenger trains on the East Coast Main Line to and from London Kings Cross. The locomotives remained on these duties until the arrival of the HST sets in 1977 and were cascaded to other duties. They were all withdrawn between 1980 and January 1982, fortunately 6 locomotives have been preserved.

Initial releases include D9007 ‘Pinza’ in BR green livery (371-285), D9002 ‘The Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry’ in BR green with half yellow ends (371-286) and 55005 ‘The Prince of Wales’s Own Regiment of Yorkshire’ in BR blue (371-287). Features include;

• New body shell produced using 3D scanned data

• Powerful 6 axle drive mechanism with twin flywheel and motor

• 6PIN DCC socket

• Bi-directional lighting

• Single or double windscreen wiper cab glasing

• Etched fan grilles

Each model has a recommended retail price of £97.45 and will be introduced over the next 18 months.

Thanks for all the info Andy.

The BR Blue Deltic they've announced looks like it doesn't have plated over headcodes from the picture on their website. Perhaps a word with Shawplan will come up trumps with an etch.

So is this the lazer scanning mentioned by Dapol dave in another thread?

mark

Maybe or maybe not, without Dapol having announced anything we don't know.

Don't forget Dapol made a start on a DP2 before Heljan trumped them, body profile pretty much the same so who knows. I might be being cynical but I think the Deltic, Merchant Navy and Duchess are reactions to Dapol activity, I don't think the list produced today is the full list but it is a shot across the bows for Dapol with other developments perhaps in the background for later announcement at key places like the N Gauge show.

They will all be fine models no doubt and it's another good year for us 2mm modellers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Seems like those who have resisted the Poole designed model have been rewarded.for their patience as with the 20. Hope the same happens with the 25, 31 and 40. Would be nice if space for a sound chip and speaker could be incorporated into the design. If it`s possible in an HST power car a huge beast like a deltic shouldn`t be a problem. A deltic should dominate a layout with it`s prescence, the alpha male of diesels!

55005 would be my choice, I saw all of them and this was the illusive last for me. A trip around Doncaster works and the rest of the day spotting at the station narrowed the odds a little with this being the last of 14 deltics seen that day.

A fully upgraded model will be well worth the wait, brilliant!

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Hi Everyone,

Seems like those who have resisted the Poole designed model have been rewarded.for their patience as with the 20. Hope the same happens with the 25, 31 and 40. Would be nice if space for a sound chip and speaker could be incorporated into the design. If it`s possible in an HST power car a huge beast like a deltic shouldn`t be a problem. A deltic should dominate a layout with it`s prescence, the alpha male of diesels!

55005 would be my choice, I saw all of them and this was the illusive last for me. A trip around Doncaster works and the rest of the day spotting at the station narrowed the odds a little with this being the last of 14 deltics seen that day.

A fully upgraded model will be well worth the wait, brilliant!

Peter

if that was the open day i classed my Deltics that day also with number 5

• RMweb Premium

I would guess that the chassis will borrow heavily from DP1, as a result I would bet that anything you could get in DP1, would go in a Class 55.

One thing I do hope they borrow is the underscale wheels,which really don't notice in N and allowed the "Deltic" body to be set nicely down on the chassis and still go round the silly corners we insist on (mine looks pretty daft doing so, but hey ho). The production machines will be trickier with their tumblehome of course.

Archived