Farish announce Princess Coronation

Andy Y

Farish Princess Coronation steams in

Graham Farish is taking another of its most popular locomotives and replacing it with a totally new one. The subject of the attention, is the Princess Coronation Class designed for the LMS by Sir William Stanier often referred to by enthusiasts as the ‘Duchesses’

A total of 38 locomotives were built between June 1937 and February 1948 with 24 of them originally being streamlined. Streamlining was removed between April 1946 and May 1949. The Graham Farish model will depict the non streamlined version.

The Class were used on express passenger trains to and from London Euston. All 38 locomotives were withdrawn between December 1962 and October 1964 as electrification spread down the West Coast Main Line.

Four models are scheduled for introduction including No. 46229 ‘Duchess of Hamilton’ in BR green with early emblem (372-181), No. 46235 ‘City of Birmingham’ in BR green with late crest (372-182), No. 46240 ‘ City of Coventry’ in BR crimson with late crest (372-183) and No. 46245 ‘City of London’ in BR crimson with late crest (372-184). Features include;

• Non streamlined body with smoke deflectors

• Loco powered chassis with NEM 6 pin decoder socket in the tender

• Detailed cab

• Electrical pickup on driving and tender wheels

Each model has a recommended retail price of £144.40 and will be introduced over the next 18 months.

From the numbers listed above these are all DE-Streamlined locos as per the original Farish version, rather than NON-Streamlined (i.e. never Streamlined) locos? (there is a clear visual difference particularly in the front footplate and cab...)

Any word on what variety of tenders each will have?

Paul

bemused by the lack of an LMS liveried one however.

Because it's a de-streamlined one; there is only a very short time window (1946-8 ) for LMS livery. Only (off the top of my head) around 18 out of 24 locos were de-streamlined before nationalisation, of which most retained the sloping topped smokeboxed until after 1948 (the so-called 'semis') gaining BR Livery (blue mostly) at the same time as round topped smokeboxes if not already in BR liveries.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I am New here.

I mostly model N in japanese however i have a love for a few british steamers. This being one of the, Shame they are not doing a streamlined one but hey can't complain maybe in the future.

I actually recently received the Class A1 60156 'Great Central' BR Green Late Crest from farish and it had the same issues as people were reporting on the tornado in another topic (front jams up)

Since Farish are really hard to get in aus at on ridiculous prices i ordered of uk store online.

I have to say it is a fine looking model and my last model was a farish from the dinosaur ages or something. Though i will be adding some sprinkled coal on top to look better.

Anyhow you mention "Loco powered chassis with NEM 6 pin decoder socket in the tender"

Does this mean the motor is not in the tender or is it the same as other farish models such as the A1? If so i'm really looking forward to this even more for great performance. Large Loco's just should not be pushed from the tender.

I have a large number of Japanese steamers and I have never suffered as it is very rare for a tender driven loco in japan, so the not so great pulling performance was a bit of a shock :O

Anyhow thats all for now bye

Anyhow you mention "Loco powered chassis with NEM 6 pin decoder socket in the tender"

Does this mean the motor is not in the tender or is it the same as other farish models such as the A1? If so i'm really looking forward to this even more for great performance. Large Loco's just should not be pushed from the tender.

Farish seem to be moving away from tender drives for their latest steam engines. The Standard 5 and WD 2-8-0 are both going to be loco driven with a coreless motor in the loco. Presumably there will be an electrical connection to the tender for DCC and possibly extra pick-ups (the latter is speculation on my part).

• RMweb Gold

Presumably there will be an electrical connection to the tender for DCC and possibly extra pick-ups (the latter is speculation on my part).

On the pre-production samples seen so far, there are 2 wires running between engine & tender. I believe they are also described as permanently coupled, although I assume they mean by the wires, as the coupling system appears to be identical to that found on the Black 5, 4MT, A1 etc. It's possible this is to allow shorter coupling bars to be provided for those who wish to reduce the gap between engine & tender.

Tom.

my assumption would have been the loco would just perform better.

If the traction tyres were on the larger wheels on the body and the tender and other remaining on the body would be the pickups.

Theres also more weight upfront meaning the traction has more grip to the track where the tender is rather light and the traction tyres provide only a little boost.

Sounds good though btw anyone got opinions on Dapol? I look at them they seem rather undetailed i guess for similar pricing.... and a friend i know said they run terrible.

Sounds good though btw anyone got opinions on Dapol? I look at them they seem rather undetailed i guess for similar pricing.... and a friend i know said they run terrible.

Cosmetically the Dapols are very good and the level of detail is certainly on par with the Farish offerings. I have had no problems with mine but others have had different experiences. I think that you stand a chance of getting a turkey from any manufacturer.

According to one of the large retailers, the rate of returned locos is roughly the same for Farish and Dapol. Some people seem to be lucky or unlucky with a specific manufacturer (i know one modeller who seems to be cursed with locking valve gears on his recent Farish steamers).

My advice would always be to visit the store and ask them to test run before you buy (if feasible). That way you should be sure of getting a decent model. It may be worth noting that Dapol have recently announced a 12 month chassis warranty on their future models (in addition to your normal statutory rights) which is enough to satisfy me (although going slightly OT).

I'm so pleased the Coronation is finally being re-tooled. My big hope is that they do a streamlined version. Do you think they will produce one in the LMS version?

If the motor is in the boiler I do hope that there will be room to fit a sound decoder in the tender. Fingers crossed. I also hope they will put the coal pushers in too! :D

• 2 weeks later...

It should be possible to stick the streamlined body kit on this one. Dunno how much work's involved, but I'd be thinking about it. Hell, I *am* thinking about it. I'm also thinking maybe that the other Princess might fit. I forget if the cylinders are different though...

• RMweb Premium

Driving wheel size and spacing were both slightly different on the Princess Royals: 6'6" and 7'3" + 8' as opposed to the Coronations' 6'9" and 7'3" + 7'3". Whether that's enough to matter in N is another question, but I suspect it might. The outside cylinders on a Princess Royal were back over the bogie wheel as on the GWR 4-cylinder classes.

Driving wheel size and spacing were both slightly different on the Princess Royals: 6'6" and 7'3" + 8' as opposed to the Coronations' 6'9" and 7'3" + 7'3". Whether that's enough to matter in N is another question, but I suspect it might. The outside cylinders on a Princess Royal were back over the bogie wheel as on the GWR 4-cylinder classes.

In practical terms, the wheels are .5mm too big, and the rear wheels are 1.5mm too far forward. That's - and I'm going to be a tad controversial perhaps - close enough when there's nothing else. The cylinders are more of a problem, and i should have remembered that because I'd considered using a jubilee chassis as a basis before. Oh well... it was a thought :)

• RMweb Premium

True, but looking at photographs of the prototype, the apparent difference between the classes is more than the numbers would suggest. How that plays out one you factor in overscale N flanges is another matter.

BTW, it's the same with the boilers. JWP Rowledge tells me that the only difference between the type 1 boiler of a Princess and the 1X of a Coronation is 2.5" in the diameter of the rear tubeplate and the Coronation's being pitched 4" higher. Those are hairs-breadth dimensions in 1:148, but again the two classes have quite different appearances, to me at any rate.

• 1 year later...

Pics up on Farish site to salivate over! Different lining on 'Coventry' and 'London' presumably accurate.

Not sure it is....red lining on Crimson? Looks more like they've applied the same red/black lining to the Crimson model as on the BR Green ones - I suspect it should be yellow....

....the front bogie also looks to be a compromise, reusing the one from the Jubilee/Scot, which it the wrong wheelbase...

...otherwise looks very nice with the nice scale spoked drivers and a much finer rendition on the tender. Some minor work to correct the bogie issue above though!

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Gold

...the front bogie also looks to be a compromise, reusing the one from the Jubilee/Scot, which it the wrong wheelbase...

I did wonder about this looking at the samples whizzing around on the turntable in the display at Warley, but I put it down to the absence of steps making the bogie look shorter/footplate look overly long. Perhaps the shorter wheelbase bogie has been used to allow smaller radius corners to be used whilst still having steps fitted.

Tom.

There are several good colour pics of 46245 City of London on Willesden Junction shed on Flickr ....I saw it there many times but only took black and white shots...However it seems that the model of 46240 seems all wrong ...all the maroon Duchesses were painted the same in the late 50s.

The cab lining needs to be in perfectly aligned to look right, its all about symmetry which captures the character of the prototype...I think the yellow lining is a tad too thick. 

As a  point of note look at the mess of the Dapol A3 in BR livery...again plenty of shots on Flickr and an excellent shot of 60103 in a recent Steam World magazine...nobody seemed to pick up that the cabside lining had been transposed on the preproduction models...Roll on that Coronation...I'm sure GF will get it right..certainly looks a great model.

• RMweb Gold

There were two lining styles for Coronation class locos painted maroon by BR.

The first ones were lined out in LMS fashion.

Later ones were lined out in the same style as the green class  members.

Eventually all were changed to the LMS style.

There is a page on Wikipedia which gives more details of the locos involved, I'm assuming it is right as I don't have any books which give details in my collection.

The lining should be black and yellow on the LMS style ones, with the lining at the edges of the tender.

I assume the ones lined in the green livery style had the standard orange black lining, that is what Farish  have done with the model of 46240 (catalogue no.372-183).  The photos of this loco at Willesden are when it was lined in the ex LMS fashion, not as it was when first painted maroon by BR.

The model of 46245 is in the LMS style lining (catalogue no. 372-184).

If you search with Google you can find images of both styles of lining but you need to look at locos in BR service.

These photos show 46240 with the two different styles, and clearly different colours of lining:

BR green style lining:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46058002@N06/6898934681

LMS style lining:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23987565@N05/7418981194

Hope this is some help.

David

Edited to correct spelling error

David

Personally I don't see the 46240 version of maroon as a winner....the other versions will be great sellers...I fear that the 46240 City of Coventry will remain as unsold stock rather like the Blue Midland Pullman train sets with full yellow ends...ugh!! Now a nice early BR blue version could capture the imagination much more than the odd-ball 46240 style which is uncomfortable in aesthetic terms..  In Blue the Duchess would harmonise with the wonderful Blood and Custard Stanier stock in the true bold uplifting colours of post war design.

Now that front bogie does look a tiny bit too short, but as someone mentioned it could be an optical illusion...I think we need GF to also provide side on pictures at the EP stage so everyone can evaluate any potential discrepancies...now how about some firebox glow or glowing headlamps...Kato did it their Mikado, albeit as a special production.

Archived